[1.8.x] AutomatedScienceSampler - V1.3.5 - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

12 hours ago, kendoka15 said:

I've had a bug happen twice now where a tooltip never goes away and stays locked to my mouse. It persists to the main menu so I have to restart the game to fix it. Both times, my log was spammed with this but I'm not sure if it is related:

"MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'FlightCamera.setTarget'."

I am not easily able to reproduce this as it seems to happen randomly when moving my mouse over the ASS window quickly. I'll try to save a log next time it happens.

KSP ver: 1.2.2

ASS ver: 1.3.1

That's an interesting bug. A reproduction case would be really helpful in figuring out whats going wrong there.

As for that exception, it has nothing to do with ASS as we don't touch the cameras in game.

Love The Mod Very Handy

One Thing Im Not Loving: Teh Issue

(https://gyazo.com/08e0d6533d3277ad52b1550d2ae79fd9

Ignore EVE And Scatter.. Someone screwed up with some numbers 

I believe the blue text box is from your mod? Ive had it pop up several time now when I switch scenes. Not always the same text either.

Edited by Mark Kerbin

On 12/17/2016 at 7:35 AM, SpaceTiger said:

That's an interesting bug. A reproduction case would be really helpful in figuring out whats going wrong there.

As for that exception, it has nothing to do with ASS as we don't touch the cameras in game.

I'll try and reproduce it :)

Is there a way to have this store multiple copies of the same experiment in different containers.  Sometimes I like to transmit one, but then store the other in case the probe makes it back to kerbin.  Other times, I like to use the experiment in a science lab, and transmit (or recover) the same data.

1 hour ago, techgamer17 said:

Does this fully automate science sampling or does it just pop up a window for each experiment so you know which ones your doing?

Full auto--just like you actually clicked the experiment.  The pop-up box can be suppressed, you still get a message that fades out in a few seconds.  It also can be set to automatically extract the results from the experiment and store it in the cockpit.

It can go off when you aren't even thinking of science.  In my current game I have most of the Kerbin space EVA reports but there are a couple of small biomes I didn't overfly on my science-gathering mission.  I was rescuing Kerbals, not even looking at Kerbin.  I switch to a stranded Kerbal, hit EVA--and get an EVA report from over the badlands.

Note that there is one hole in the automatic science gathering--you can only gather EVA reports while actually EVA.  If you attempt to sit on the ladder for ages you will drift away.  Thus full-auto EVA report gathering can only be done if you bring along a command chair--while in the chair the Kerbal is EVA and can make the reports.  (The same thing applies to surface samples but you can't warp while on the surface anyway so it doesn't matter.)

• 2 weeks later...

A biome problem:

Objective:  Gravity scan while in space high over Kerbin's Southern Ice Shelf.

It wouldn't grab even though I appeared to be overflying it.

I finally dropped out of warp in the right spot, [x] Science! showed me over the target.  It didn't fire.  I manually triggered a scan, [x] Science! noted it correctly.

I think i found a bug, but not 100% sure it is. It's a bit of an unusual setup i think.

Tried to gather some data for my first orbital lab around Kerbin, so i decided to get it quickly from the KSC biomes. Since i already had done all the science there i set the threshold to 0 and brought a scientist for resetting single run experiments. Turns out that it will only transfer data from the single run experiments into the desired cockpits (then reset them, how intended). All the other experiments are only run once (at launch on the runway), data doesn't get transfered and they get "stuck" in this state.

I guess it has to do with the 0 threshold.

Made a screenshot to show you the configuration in question.

Hi, I'm using AutomatedScienceSampler and Kerbalism seems to have a problem with it. Since I installed Kerbalism I don't seems to be able to select the recipient where to transfer and store data (in pods and such) the only option I'm left with is "Disabled" and the science just sit in the experiments parts without being transfer. I think that come from the fact that AutomatedScienceSampler don't recognise the pods to be a recipient for data storing as Kerbalism have modified them.. I don't really know.

3u4lyaK.png

Could you please help me ? AutomatedScienceSampler is truly a great mod and making it work with Kerbalism would be so neat !

Thanks a lot for you time.

A response from ShotgunNinja of the Kerbalism mod : 

If you enable Science in Kerbalism, I replace all stock science containers with my own system. So any mod that look for ModuleScienceContainer doesn't find any of them. That bein said, my module implement IScienceDataContainer. So mods that look for IScienceDataContainer instead will work.

Could AutomatedScienceSampler be tweaked to look for IScienceDataContainer instead of ModuleScienceContainer ?

Anyone else having the same bug as me?

On 12/17/2016 at 9:17 PM, Mark Kerbin said:

Love The Mod Very Handy

One Thing Im Not Loving: Teh Issue

(https://gyazo.com/08e0d6533d3277ad52b1550d2ae79fd9

Ignore EVE And Scatter.. Someone screwed up with some numbers 

I believe the blue text box is from your mod? Ive had it pop up several time now when I switch scenes. Not always the same text either.

Because this just happened again and i have to close the entire game to get rid of it which sucks bc i have a 15 min boot time due to tons of mods

Edited by Mark Kerbin

On 7.1.2017 at 10:23 AM, Nago said:

A response from ShotgunNinja of the Kerbalism mod : 

Could AutomatedScienceSampler be tweaked to look for IScienceDataContainer instead of ModuleScienceContainer ?

Sadly that can't be done. IScienceDataContainer  doesn't expose any reference to the part it is on. This would make it very difficult to figure out where the results would go.

On 4.1.2017 at 3:09 AM, Loren Pechtel said:

A biome problem:

Objective:  Gravity scan while in space high over Kerbin's Southern Ice Shelf.

It wouldn't grab even though I appeared to be overflying it.

I finally dropped out of warp in the right spot, [x] Science! showed me over the target.  It didn't fire.  I manually triggered a scan, [x] Science! noted it correctly.

Do you have a quick-save and logs for us so we can investigate?

On 31.12.2016 at 4:12 PM, tommytza said:

May i ask if it is working with KSP 1.2.2?... Thank you in advance!

Yes, it does work in 1.2.2!

On another note:

a new release is out that should patch issues with rerun-able experiments not triggering properly.

As we got no way to reproduce the tool-tip issue yet, there is no patch for that.

18 minutes ago, SpaceTiger said:

Sadly that can't be done. IScienceDataContainer  doesn't expose any reference to the part it is on. This would make it very difficult to figure out where the results would go.

Technically it doesn't, but since it is always implemented by a Part Module it is a simple matter to convert it and check for the part. You can also check if the module it is attached to is a ModuleScienceContainer when trying to store the data somewhere.

On 21.1.2017 at 3:07 PM, DMagic said:

Technically it doesn't, but since it is always implemented by a Part Module it is a simple matter to convert it and check for the part. You can also check if the module it is attached to is a ModuleScienceContainer when trying to store the data somewhere.

I didn't even think about that! Thanks!

@Nago I put this in the tracker.

On 21.1.2017 at 5:24 PM, tommytza said:

Thank you, SpaceTiger, i`m already using it on my 1.2.2 career...the mod is fantastic..and since DMagic is here, i want to say thanks to him too, i am using all his mods!...nice job, guys!

We are always happy to hear feedback!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MysterySloth said:

Is this compatible with 'Science - Full Reward!'?

Not only is it compatible but it will really make you want to use Science - Full Reward.  The problem is threefold:

1)  If you're not using full reward it's always trying to collect that last little scrap of science.

2)  This pretty much forces you to send a scientist if you're using experiments that need resetting.

3)  You can't set the threshold low enough to get all the science without causing it to go nuts gathering everything whether it's useful or not.  Setting it to zero causes it to gather science even if there's nothing to be gained.  (Note:  Somewhat useful if you have a lab along.  Turn it off before loading the science into the lab, though!)

Edited by Loren Pechtel

On 24/10/2016 at 7:27 AM, helaeon said:

on 1.2 64 bit. Using Dmagic's RoverGoo and MaterialsBay, letting the auto sampler reset the experiment locks it.
Can get it truly reset by changing in the save file under the DMRoverGooMat module in each part:

ExperimentNumber = 2
experimentsReturned = 2

from 2 to 0 then it works as expected. Looks like there may need to be a special check in the reset module to reset those values.

Same problem here, MicroGoo and ScienceMicro from DMagics dont reset. Scientist lvl 2 onboard, KSP 1.2.2, ASS 1.3.2.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also having a Reset Experiment issue. I have a scientist on board in a command pod. ASS runs the available experiments but does not reset the experiment module (Mystery Goo and Science Jr). Maybe just implement a manual button so that when you EVA your scientist, you can click a "Gather Data" button in ASS. All science within range of the scientist will be gathered and stored in your scientist. And also do the same to reset experiments. A manual button to click on ASS so that all experiments within range of your scientist are reset.

Thanks! Great work so far!

57 minutes ago, Voltron said:

I'm also having a Reset Experiment issue. I have a scientist on board in a command pod. ASS runs the available experiments but does not reset the experiment module (Mystery Goo and Science Jr). Maybe just implement a manual button so that when you EVA your scientist, you can click a "Gather Data" button in ASS. All science within range of the scientist will be gathered and stored in your scientist. And also do the same to reset experiments. A manual button to click on ASS so that all experiments within range of your scientist are reset.

There's a switch in it's control whether to run the run-once experiments.  Are they turned on?

2 hours ago, Voltron said:

Run-once experiments won't be reset unless the science is transferred out of them (like to a command pod). Double check to see that you've got transfer set up (right click on the icon in the toolbar, I think).

3 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

There's a switch in it's control whether to run the run-once experiments.  Are they turned on?

Yes.

1 hour ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Run-once experiments won't be reset unless the science is transferred out of them (like to a command pod). Double check to see that you've got transfer set up (right click on the icon in the toolbar, I think).

It's transferring to the command pod correctly. But is not running all available experiments to max out that type of experiment for that biome.

Additional info to maybe help me:

I have multiple Mystery Good and Science Jrs on my science ship. I'm using the containers to store experiments so I only make 1 trip to each biome (Each container will hold 1 of each type of experiment in each biome. Need 4-6 of various experiments to max out science from that biome.) So maybe I do have settings somewhere incorrect. I've been messing with different scenarios with this mod for 3 hrs now and haven't gotten it to work how I envision it would have yet. That may just mean I have more to learn from ya'll on how to use it :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.