[1.8.x] AutomatedScienceSampler - V1.3.5 - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

56 minutes ago, Voltron said:

Yes.

It's transferring to the command pod correctly. But is not running all available experiments to max out that type of experiment for that biome.

Additional info to maybe help me:

I have multiple Mystery Good and Science Jrs on my science ship. I'm using the containers to store experiments so I only make 1 trip to each biome (Each container will hold 1 of each type of experiment in each biome. Need 4-6 of various experiments to max out science from that biome.) So maybe I do have settings somewhere incorrect. I've been messing with different scenarios with this mod for 3 hrs now and haven't gotten it to work how I envision it would have yet. That may just mean I have more to learn from ya'll on how to use it :)

That's the one part of it that I don't think works well--trying to get all the science from a biome.  I gave up on that and went with science full reward.

3 hours ago, Voltron said:

Yes.

It's transferring to the command pod correctly. But is not running all available experiments to max out that type of experiment for that biome.

Additional info to maybe help me:

I have multiple Mystery Good and Science Jrs on my science ship. I'm using the containers to store experiments so I only make 1 trip to each biome (Each container will hold 1 of each type of experiment in each biome. Need 4-6 of various experiments to max out science from that biome.) So maybe I do have settings somewhere incorrect. I've been messing with different scenarios with this mod for 3 hrs now and haven't gotten it to work how I envision it would have yet. That may just mean I have more to learn from ya'll on how to use it :)

Hmm, in that case I am just going to take another guess at what's going on - since you have things transferring to a container, the experiment appears to ASS to be the same thing multiple times (same experiment, same biome, same trip?), and so only one copy is ultimately getting stored in the container. In that case, maybe you DON'T want transfers? I don't think ASS is set up to figure out how to store multiple goos (or whatever else) so that you can get a biome in one go... not sure about that, though.

15 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Hmm, in that case I am just going to take another guess at what's going on - since you have things transferring to a container, the experiment appears to ASS to be the same thing multiple times (same experiment, same biome, same trip?), and so only one copy is ultimately getting stored in the container. In that case, maybe you DON'T want transfers? I don't think ASS is set up to figure out how to store multiple goos (or whatever else) so that you can get a biome in one go... not sure about that, though.

Yeah, the game doesn't work that way.  One trip = one bite at the science.  I found it too problematic to want to deal with and simply went with the science full reward mod.

Otherwise, I found myself in a situation of not being able to set ASS to grab all available science.  It would either leave the last bits behind or it would grab even when there was nothing to be grabbed.  Extra grabbing when you have an engineer along is no big deal but in the early part of your career where you usually just have a pilot...

It would help if the game didn't make you take as many bites to get the last bits.

• 2 weeks later...

^this! This is why I created science full reward, nice to see people got the same line of thinking like I do.

I just stepped by to say thanks for this mod. Since for science is not working for me I gave this one a try and it's fine.

Suggested feature: add a box for a lead-by time, where the mod will trigger science experiments X many seconds or minutes BEFORE you are in or above a given biome. In order to provide compatibility with remotetech signal delays, without having to bother with actually integrating ongoing support for that mod (manually copying over current signal delay into that box would be trivially easy for a player, thus no formal mod communication would be necessary to make this work perfectly with it anyway)

Sorry in advance if this has been requested before.

Is it possible to have an option, just like the "Threshold" option but, for transmitted science?

ie: I want to transmit all of the collected science but AutomatedScience keeps running even though the transmitted value is 0.

I really hope this is a possible option and easy to implement. Thank you for this wonderful mod.

Hi @SpaceTiger, I know you generally don't like to try to manage custom science mods if possible, but I've noted an issue between AutomatedScienceSampler and @Angel-125's MOLE mod, which adds lab-based experiments requiring a special resource called lab-time, which must be built up slowly in a special part. 

There are really 2 issues with AutomatedScienceSampler:

1) it ignores the need for LabTime, popping Angel's experiments whenever it senses it's allowed by situationMask and biomeMask.

2) I don't necessarily agree with Angel's biomeMask and situationMask settings on the experiments, and I'm not sure of the design intent yet, but AutomatedScienceSampler will pop the MOLE experiments in situations that I think most users will find weird.

Is it possible that we can come up with a way for AutomatedScienceSampler to ignore certain ones of Angel's experiments? Unfortunately we wouldn't want to just avoid them all, probably only the ones requiring this special resource. If there were a config file or something for experiments to ignore, I could handle all of the work there.

Hi @SpaceTiger, really love your mod. Its a must have for every carreer I play. After playing many many hours with it, I found 3 possible improvements:

1) Take the first/biggest/root Modulesciencecontainer you find instead of defaulting to disabled for the transfer setting.

2) Maybe I get the duplicate setting wrong, but I would like to have 2 copies of the same experiment, one for science recover and one for MPL research.

3) Enable automatic science transmission for every experiment with 100% (or configurable percentage) transmission efficiency. 

Thanks for considering!

On 4/5/2017 at 9:13 PM, Crimeo said:

Suggested feature: add a box for a lead-by time, where the mod will trigger science experiments X many seconds or minutes BEFORE you are in or above a given biome. In order to provide compatibility with remotetech signal delays, without having to bother with actually integrating ongoing support for that mod (manually copying over current signal delay into that box would be trivially easy for a player, thus no formal mod communication would be necessary to make this work perfectly with it anyway)

It would be quite a lot of work to predict what biome your ship will be in 15 minutes from now, even with the assumption that you won't make any maneuvers.

It would make more sense to simply bypass the signal delay; after all it's an automated trigger based on entering a new biome, not entering a command from Kerbin.

25 minutes ago, hab136 said:

It would be quite a lot of work to predict what biome your ship will be in 15 minutes from now, even with the assumption that you won't make any maneuvers.

It would make more sense to simply bypass the signal delay; after all it's an automated trigger based on entering a new biome, not entering a command from Kerbin.

It's not THAT much work. The pattern an orbit projects onto a spherical body is well known, and equations are readily available. (it's called a "ground track"). I realize it's not trivial, but it is definitely doable. It also has various uses outside of RT, such as allowing for lead time to land at a biome of interest.

Of course I wouldn't expect it to work even with maneuvers included, that would be literally impossible, unless already planned maneuvers (in that case actually pretty easy, just stitch two ground tracks together with an offset)

And yes RT could also do stuff on their end, alternatively, but this isn't the RT thread :)

Edited by Crimeo

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up for anyone who comes here looking for 1.3 info (as I did) - this should not be in any way interpreted as hassling (or even asking) for an update.

ASS does not work in 1.3. It will load, but can't perform any science as one of the methods it uses (GetExperimentSubject) has been taken away or renamed (probably renamed) so it's calling a method that doesn't exist.

Edited by severedsolo

There was a pull request submitted to the github of this project four days ago that fixes this issue, changing literally one line of code.

Is anyone familiar with the process of building addons from their source? If I knew what tools I needed I would build the dll's from the source.

2 minutes ago, Clubbavich said:

There was a pull request submitted to the github of this project four days ago that fixes this issue, changing literally one line of code.

Is anyone familiar with the process of building addons from their source? If I knew what tools I needed I would build the dll's from the source.

Get visual studio. It is simple from there, just find a tutorial on setting up and then check out Addon Disscussions/Plugin dev and check out the thread "creating your first plugin". Visual Studio is pretty easy to navigate, add your references and then hit the "Build" button on the top. Choose Release, and there will be a folder in your project folder that says Releases. Follow that file path until you find a .dll file. Thats the compiled code. Make sure you are using the .NET 3.5 framework, or it won't work in KSP. 

Well, so far things aren't going well... The github source files don't seem to be in a state that's ready to build, entirely unrelated to the bug.

The author is probably depending upon some Dev environment configuration files to fix things and doesn't realize it, and those files aren't making it to github. One example is that a mod that this depends on has the tooltip class files duplicated in different areas.

I guess I'll just wait until we get that update.

Edit:

The AutomatedScienceSampler pull request is the only change that's needed. I was trying to build while referencing an older version of the KerboKatzUtilities without realizing it. The latest version of that dll works just fine, even though I can't build that portion myself.

Edited by Clubbavich

@Clubbavich it appears that the files are in the form of "KerboKatzAsset". I do not know of anything that can open and or run them, other than the KerboKatz files that it is dependent on. The PR looks simple enough, but it is just up to @SpaceTiger to merge and build them. 

Edit: as it is licenced under ARR, i cant do anything with them and release it... I'm not even sure we can download and mess with it, but i havent read up on the ARR licence enough

Edited by Benjamin Kerman

I was able to successfully build the AutomatedScienceSampler from the source code, and it seems to be working just fine, certainly better than it was. I have absolutely no intentions of distributing the built binaries to anyone, simply because I didn't want to interfere with the release process of the rightful owners of the project. I just want to use this awesome addon :D.

The AutomatedScienceSampler project is dependent upon this project: https://github.com/KerboKatz/KerboKatzUtilities

I downloaded the latest build of that (from curse, but I should have looked in the releases folder on github first...), and added references to it in Visual Studio. After adding the other appropriate references from KSP listed in the thread below, and following the appropriate instructions (Set project target to dll, set .Net version to 3.5) I had no further issues building it. I never got the source of KerboKatzUtilities to build, but the up-to-date binaries work just fine.

We just released a pre-release.

It works with KSP 1.3 and thanks to @DMagic science experiments can now be stored in any IScienceDataContainer.

Please be aware that this release wasn't fully tested and may contain bugs such as throwing exceptions, lighting your Kerbals on fire or ejecting your Kerbals into space!

Edited by SpaceTiger

7 hours ago, Omni963 said:

Im confuse about what the pre release is for and if we have an idea when the full, finished one will be complete. 

We didn't get to test it yet fully so the pre-release is a way of us to tell you that we didn't test it fully and it may contain bugs. It should be fully stable but just in case. We dont have any eta on how long it will take to test it all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.