[1.8.x] AutomatedScienceSampler - V1.3.5 - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

Ok, so what definitely does not trigger for me is the solar particle collector, I think the irradiance scan also. The magnetometer and telescope work actually. The following picture also proves that I only did highly scientific gravity testing and no jumping for fun at all while on Minmus surface:

gvWgGqC.png

Edited by DaniDE

Noticing a few things:

With DMagic, ForScience will continue spamming many of the science experiments until I get fed up and just store them (preventing it from running the experiment again). Seismic scan seems to be the particularly obnoxious one, but I think I had it happen with one other (if it happens again, I'll post here with what it was).

EVA reports and surface samples from the ground can happen while on the ladder, breaking immersion. The Restrict EVA option doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm also a bit frustrated that all the experiments pop up their window when I have the option to automatically transfer the results to a container. It was confusing at first, because I thought I had to save them in order for ForScience to store the experiment, but it seems to be doing it automatically. Can that be changed, so that either the pop ups don't occur, or the science isn't stored in a container until the experiment result is stored (allowing the player to discard or transmit it immediately instead).

Noticing a few things:

With DMagic, ForScience will continue spamming many of the science experiments until I get fed up and just store them (preventing it from running the experiment again). Seismic scan seems to be the particularly obnoxious one, but I think I had it happen with one other (if it happens again, I'll post here with what it was).

I can't reproduce this. Are you using the newest version ? If not please update else got to your kerbal folder and look under "GameData\KerboKatz\ForScienceContinued\PluginData" there should be a settings.cfg. Open it at the bottom right before the "}" add a new line and put "Debug = true". Reproduce this bug again and upload your debug log somewhere and link it here.

EVA reports and surface samples from the ground can happen while on the ladder, breaking immersion. The Restrict EVA option doesn't seem to make a difference.

This on the other hand i could reproduce and am working on a fix.

I'm also a bit frustrated that all the experiments pop up their window when I have the option to automatically transfer the results to a container. It was confusing at first, because I thought I had to save them in order for ForScience to store the experiment, but it seems to be doing it automatically. Can that be changed, so that either the pop ups don't occur, or the science isn't stored in a container until the experiment result is stored (allowing the player to discard or transmit it immediately instead).

I don't think i can influence when kerbal pops up that window. I'll poke around in the code and see if there is something for this.

I can reproduce it, my siesmic scan (and now Gravioli Detector, that's even stock!) goes crazy unless I store it permanently. I'll debug next time I send out a craft.

Another question that i just thought of do you have the limit set to 0 ?

And where does this happen ?

Spamming siesmic? It happened on my Mun and Minmus landing missions. When I would arrive at a biome, land, all experiments would deploy as normal. Siesmic would run twice initially. Then after returning a Kerbal, it would run again several times, repeating about 5-10 seconds after I clicked the Discard button on the popup. If I select the Keep button, it would stop.

This would also happen for Gravioli (more often, as it could run in orbit).

Fresh game, so I made a Jet Car, with Goo, Science Jr, and temperature scan.

Two pods, with a pilot and scientist on board.

1: It keeps showing the "you ran the experiment" discard, keep, send menu. (While at the same time storing it)

2: It didn't use the scientist to reset Goo/Science Jr.

I think the only other mod installed that messes with science is Scansat (It creates a ScanSat container in every pod) and perhaps Ship Manifest.

Isn't it a "standard game deviation" that it can store unlimited same experiments in one pod. Would be nice if it was an option. (I think the MPL is the only container that allows unlimited storage in a stock game)

I too notice that the Dmagic Goo and Material Bay experiments do not auto-reset. They do run and transfer their results to the container properly.

ETA: Also have the issue where science is continually re-ran (such as a crew report which may be immediately transmitted). My limit is set to 5. I think what is happening is when the experiment is re-set as the transmission starts this re-runs it immediately as the value of the experiment has not been reduced because the transmission is not yet complete.

Edited by helaeon

I'm seeing similar behavior with the miniature experiments in Rover's Sounding Rockets, as well as the stock Sci Jr. and goo. Experiments are run correctly when entering a biome, but can't be reset, even if there is a scientist in a command seat, except by the scientist going on EVA and manually right clicking.

on a totally unrelated note, i like to suggest one or two changes to the auto-collection method. First, the auto-collection occurs as soon as the experiment is run, rather then in response to the player clicking keep in the science report, leading to a situation where the science report appears, but the experiment has already been collected and stored, so clicking Reset has no effect. this may or may not be possible, but it would provide better behavior if the auto-collect process ignored experiments where the report window was still open. Second, as an alternative to the first option, it might be a good idea to separate out the auto-run and auto-collect processes into two toolbar buttons that can be toggled independently, allowing the player to manually trigger collection of all on board experiments once they have reviewed the reports and have kept the results they are happy with. Both of these are intended as a solution to a problem i ran into frequently in the early game, where automatic runs were the most valuable with lots of low-value, run-once experiments in the flying low and flying high biomes around the space center, but where the automatic collection process was breaking the experiments for low value and preventing a non-science kerbal from resetting the experiment from the report window, as in the stock game, and using that experiment for higher returns later in the trajectory.

Oh lots of feedback :).

I got a new version almost ready that fixes the resetting of experiments with a scientist and a way to hide the results window at least for everything that uses the stock module. DMagic Orbital Science on the other hand needs a special way to deal with this again.

As for waiting for the user to input something on the result window: This is sadly not possible cause the kerbal api is pretty limited there. I can only add new results and not remove old ones.

Oh lots of feedback :).

I got a new version almost ready that fixes the resetting of experiments with a scientist and a way to hide the results window at least for everything that uses the stock module. DMagic Orbital Science on the other hand needs a special way to deal with this again.

As for waiting for the user to input something on the result window: This is sadly not possible cause the kerbal api is pretty limited there. I can only add new results and not remove old ones.

You may just be able to manually add the data generated by dmagic's experiments, it's how I handle the silent collection of stock experiments in my version.

Also, ditto on the keep data stuff. I'd love to do it, but I know of no event for "keep data" that can be hooked into.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

You may just be able to manually add the data generated by dmagic's experiments, it's how I handle the silent collection of stock experiments in my version.

Also, ditto on the keep data stuff. I'd love to do it, but I know of no event for "keep data" that can be hooked into.

Yeah that's what i ended up doing too.

Is there a way to suppress spamming of those:

300px-EVA_report.png

To prevent those screens from appearing when this mod is active or at least an option to turn them off? They keep popping up at the least expected moments.

Is there a way to suppress spamming of those:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/images/thumb/d/dc/EVA_report.png/300px-EVA_report.png

To prevent those screens from appearing when this mod is active or at least an option to turn them off? They keep popping up at the least expected moments.

Read a few posts above :). There is an update coming that will hide these when this mod runs the experiments.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.