[1.8.x] AutomatedScienceSampler - V1.3.5 - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

info:

i don't really know why but i did the same run(around the base)

this one got 54 science while the forscience one got 200+

i only have 2 options enabled the run one-time only science and auto-reset

-sorry if this odd thing have been fixed in previous posts, i have not yet read other posts in this thread-

>.< nvm, turns out im just a newb xD thank you so much for this

Edited by noire126
learned more

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Might need to update again, Dmagic science experiments are acting oddly... again. (Dmagic was updated again 8/12/2015)

Many of the experiments animations act strangely (deploy animation playing in a loop) when For Science is enabled but the experiment can't be run (space experiments on the launchpad, etc.)

The debug log gets a bunch of null reference errors when this happens, but both of the problems stop when I turn off For Science via the button in the upper right corner of the screen.

Might need to update again, Dmagic science experiments are acting oddly... again. (Dmagic was updated again 8/12/2015)

Many of the experiments animations act strangely (deploy animation playing in a loop) when For Science is enabled but the experiment can't be run (space experiments on the launchpad, etc.)

The debug log gets a bunch of null reference errors when this happens, but both of the problems stop when I turn off For Science via the button in the upper right corner of the screen.

I'll need the logs with those exceptions as I'm not able to reproduce this issue with DMagic 1.0.8.

Can do. Will update this post with new data as it becomes available.

EDIT:

Log errors found. Relevant section of log:

Game State Saved as persistent

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[ForScience Test Craft]: ground contact! - error: 0.038m

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Unpacking ForScience Test Craft

[ForScienceContinued] Deploying: dmlaserblastscan@KerbinSrfLandedLaunchPad
Science: 4.5

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at KerboKatz.ForScienceContinued.createScienceDMagic (.ModuleScienceExperiment currentExperiment, .ScienceSubject currentScienceSubject, Single currentScienceValue) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerboKatz.ForScienceContinued.RunScience () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerboKatz.ForScienceContinued.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

[ForScienceContinued] Deploying: dmlaserblastscan@KerbinSrfLandedLaunchPad
Science: 4.5

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at KerboKatz.ForScienceContinued.createScienceDMagic (.ModuleScienceExperiment currentExperiment, .ScienceSubject currentScienceSubject, Single currentScienceValue) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerboKatz.ForScienceContinued.RunScience () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerboKatz.ForScienceContinued.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Caught a couple of frames of the error I found. It's not limited to this specific experiment. I've seen it do this on the Magnetometer Boom experiment too, but I imagine it will spit out a almost identical error from any of the Dmagic experiments. Which one actually gets into the log might be determined by the first Dmagic part on the ship in the .craft file. First in line will spit errors, AND stop ForScience continued from doing its job (as it seems to get hung up on that one experiment).

I've only seen the error happen once (avoided provoking it after that). The one test I did to replicate it (just now) was a success.

Obviously something's fishy, and if you're not having any problems, it's a mod incompatibility or something less obvious than the "standard" bug.

Using Windows 7 64-bit OS with 4Gb of ram, (I know, I know. Next build has 16GB, and all it needs are video cards).

Running 32-bit KSP, using the -force-d3d11 option in the shortcut (makes it run in DX11, which saves ram).

Here's the list of the sub-folders in my GameData folder:

000_Toolbar

000_USITools

AsteroidDay

CommunityResourcePack

CrossFeedEnabler

DMagicOrbitalScience

EditorExtentions

Firespitter // plugin only, says incompatible with 1.0.4 but it's the most current version I know of

FShangarExtender

InterstellarFuelSwitch

KAS

KerbalJointReinforcement

KerboKatz

KIS

Klockheed_Martin_Gimbal

MechJeb2

MenuStabilizer

Mk2Expansion

ModRocketSys

ModuleManager

RcsSounds

SpaceY-Lifters

Squad

StarLionIndustries // MM patches for KSPI compatibility of Mk2Expansion parts

StockBugFixModules

TweakScale

UmbraSpaceIndustries

WarpPlugin

End list

My module manager .dll is in the folder of the same name, just because I don't like DLL's without subfolders (unless they NEED to not have subfolders, which isn't true for ModuleManager.dll).

EDIT: Remembered something. This was happening with unmanned science probes. Not sure if it would happen with manned ones, but it's probably still worth looking into.

Edited by SciMan

Thanks for the detailed information. I was able to reproduce and find the bug.

The cause of this bug is that there is no science container to put the science data into.

I'll release a patch later that disables this option if there is no science container on the current craft.

A workaround: Disable the option "Create results for DMagic" for crafts that only have a probe core.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks for the detailed information. I was able to reproduce and find the bug.

The cause of this bug is that there is no science container to put the science data into.

I'll release a patch later that disables this option if there is no science container on the current craft.

A workaround: Disable the option "Create results for DMagic" for crafts that only have a probe core.

There is also minor compatibility issue for specialized no stock science containers in Station Science and Orbital Material Science mods. They have experiments that use stored resources to count time till completion. The experiment then must be finalized and returned to Kerbin before complete. As a work around For Science to be toggled off in tool bar if these containers are present or it causes problems or stops working.

Can I ask you to also please confirm 1.0.5 compatibility?

As this currently only assumed by CKAN.

Edited by nobodyhasthis

There is also minor compatibility issue for specialized no stock science containers in Station Science and Orbital Material Science mods. They have experiments that use stored resources to count time till completion. The experiment then must be finalized and returned to Kerbin before complete. As a work around For Science to be toggled off in tool bar if these containers are present or it causes problems or stops working.

I'll have a look at those mods but can make no promises at this point in time.

Can I ask you to also please confirm 1.0.5 compatibility?

As this currently only assumed by CKAN.

This mod compiles without any issues and i just tested it and saw no issues at a quick glance.

I'm not getting the button on the stock app launcher, any idea why this could be?

I just tried this under 1.0.5 and had no issues can you check if you are missing KerboKatzUtilities ? If you do have it please upload your log files somewhere and link them.

I've noticed that for me Dmagic's Orbital science experiments seem to cause trouble now.

output_log.txt

[ForScienceContinued] Deploying: magScan@KerbinSrfLandedLaunchPad
Science: 15

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ScienceData..ctor'.

Spams the console and no experiments are activated by forscience once this happens. Seems to happen for all biomes that I've tested.

KSP v1.0.5.1028

ForScienceContinued v1.1.0

DMagicOrbitialScience v1.0.9.1

KerboKatzUtilities v1.2.9.0

no other mods during test, fresh game, new save. Full log available upon request.

I'm having problems in 1.0.5 as well (without Dmagic). I set it to auto-run, store, and reset, with a scientist on board, and it only runs the materials bay and goo experiments once. It stores the data and resets them properly, even if I run them again manually. And it re-runs the temperature scan normally. I think crew reports might be having similar problems too.

• 2 weeks later...
I rebuilt the source against the latest DLLs and it made DMagic experiments work happily without the MissingMethodException. Beware setting the science threshold too low or infinite loops ensue.

I then put a Materials Bay and Mystery Goo on a rover with a Scientist inside. They only seem to fire and reset once, when the vessel first loads onto the runway. After that, nothing. I cruised around the KSC to test. There was definitely science to be had, as proven when I manually triggered either one, so something is still amiss.

[quote name='Boop'][COLOR=#3E3E3E]I then put a Materials Bay and Mystery Goo on a rover with a Scientist inside. They only seem to fire and reset once, when the vessel first loads onto the runway. After that, nothing. I cruised around the KSC to test. There was definitely science to be had, as proven when I manually triggered either one, so something is still amiss.[/COLOR]
[/QUOTE]

I've got a fix for that one, the experiments will only run if ModuleAnimateGeneric.status is "Locked" but the status is "Clamped" if the experiment has been reset so I changed it to look for ModuleAnimateGeneric.aniState to be LOCKED, which corresponds to the value 0 in the aniState enumeration.

On a side note, there's also the "situation" that would nee to be updated more often. The experiments don't run reliably when the "FlyingHigh" situation is reached, for example.
I also wanted to implement some functionality that would run experiments even if under the science threshold if they have never been run before, like mystery goo on the launch pad, which gives only 1.5 science.

TiGa Edited by TiGa

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Wijbrandus said:

I have a pod circling the Mun with a scientist inside.  How do I activate the EVA Reports?  Everything else is working swimmingly, just no EVA luck.  Do I need to park the scientist outside, and hope she can hold on for a few hours?

My impression is this mod is partially broken in 1.0.5.  At least it works flawlessly in 1.0.4 but I has this and some other trouble in 1.0.5.

On 11/26/2015 at 10:39 AM, TiGa said:

I've got a fix for that one, the experiments will only run if ModuleAnimateGeneric.status is "Locked" but the status is "Clamped" if the experiment has been reset so I changed it to look for ModuleAnimateGeneric.aniState to be LOCKED, which corresponds to the value 0 in the aniState enumeration.

On a side note, there's also the "situation" that would nee to be updated more often. The experiments don't run reliably when the "FlyingHigh" situation is reached, for example.
I also wanted to implement some functionality that would run experiments even if under the science threshold if they have never been run before, like mystery goo on the launch pad, which gives only 1.5 science.

TiGa

Would you mind briefly writing up how to do this? It doesn't look like the author of the mod is planning on updating this anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment I pretty much only use this to auto-reset one-time science and to move science results to the command module, I use ScienceAlert's buttons to actually run the experiments (make sure to get the community patched version, it's in the forum thread). I just set the science threshold in ForScience settings to a big number to stop it running experiments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This mod goes a long way to avoiding needless clicks but I still have to EVA in order to get EVA reports.  I've got the [x] Science! mod installed that shows me what biome I'm over but that still means sitting there like a hawk on the EVA button.  I just got to Mun, I'm in a nearly polar orbit so I'll pass over everything in time.  Twice now I've passed over Polar Lowlands--and both times it's been so fast that I wasn't able to mash the EVA button in time.  And now I lost the Northwest Crater becuase my mouse wasn't right on the EVA button.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.