[1.8.x] AutomatedScienceSampler - V1.3.5 - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

• 1 month later...

Something hilarious happened today with ASS.  I found out you can turn it off and on! 

I was getting grumpy because it didn't seem to be doing anything.  Then I noticed the animation wasn't working.  So I left clicked on it (or was it double click?) and the animation came alive and ASS was finding science for me.  I would be embarrassed  except I have yet to see any mention of this basic feature; I assumed is was always on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2015 at 8:45 PM, SpaceTiger said:

Have a special wish ? Just ask here in this thread and we might be able to do what you want!

Universal Storage II compatibility. Right now US2 parts are not working correctly.

Also, would be nice to be able to fill 2 (or more) containers with same experiment - one for direct return, other for orbiting MPL.

Edited by Dr. Jet

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Would it be possible to increase the resolution of the icon, or better yet add the option for users to create their own off/on variants?

I've been making a solid white icon pack and AutomatedScienceSampler is the only mod that does not have a replaceable .png icon ([x] Science! doesn't either but the icon is already white).

hTPinQS.png

On 12/29/2019 at 4:05 PM, Ceromancy said:

Is this mod abandoned?

Not that I know of: I was having conflicts with KSP 1.9 and ForScience! that I used initially (only got KSP last fall) - and ASS has been kicking a$$ ever since....I take a Mobile science lab, several scientists - and at least two of every science experiment on every trip I take in the Kerbin system - it voraciously spins out science!  I think I got nearly 1000 Science on a Minimus landing & Mun flyby on return....Also just recently bought the 'Breaking Ground' DLC - now when I've got time warp going - I am getting 20-30 science every 2-3 days from EACH small monitoring station I drop at every Minimus / Mun touchdown....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 7:36 PM, Hoid said:

Hello!

I think I found a bug, you may have heard about it, and if so, I'm sorry. 

From time to time the tooltips that appear when you hover over the settings in the ASS window get "stuck" to your mouse, and don't leave unless you quit the game (I didn't find another method, the tooltip stays even in the main menu).

I know how to reproduce it. It may not be very scientific, but what I do is:

1. Launch vessel

2. Open ASS settings window thing.

3. Hover over one of the settings until the tooltip appears.

4. Spam the crap out of left and right click, and move the mouse violently over the entire window.

5. ???

6. Profit? (Hopefully)

I am using the 1.4 version. I did not find any output log files..?

I hope that somehow points you, through developer magic, to the problem.

I just had this bug.

I came here to see if it had been reported, and if there was a fix, but apparently not.

I did think that if spamming the mouse caused it, that it might also cure it, but I just ended up with two tooltips stuck open!

I did somehow manage to get rid of one, or at least, I think I did. I may just have had a third one stuck that covered the first two, who knows.

I'm quite new to this, so what do I need to do to give the creator something to investigate (should he want to)? Is there a log file? If so, where would I find it?

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/25/2020 at 4:35 PM, schlosrat said:

Hi does anyone know how to turn off the tooltips? They get stuck on and then get in the way of other information I need on my screen, particularly in map view.

Thanks!

This is a ksp problem.  I've noticed it too with scansat and others.  Just trigger a different tooltip and it will go way.

Does anyone know why this mod won't trigger for telemetry reports?

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Ceromancy said:

Unless this thread gets a post by the author, I'm considering this mod abandoned.

Considering they were just on the forums.....  But even if the mod is abandoned, are you willing to take it over?  If not, I don't see why it matters then. 

And as mentioned to you previously, people that are willing to help need more than "It doesn't work!".    There are many more sites (Google drive perhaps?) to use as a file hosting rather than choosing to use an ad and tracker ridden site that you warn people from going to.   

We can't help you at all if you don't help us. 

Google is a more ad-infested site than the one I used. If you're concerned, you should disable javascript and open my link in a private browsing window. Google drive does not allow you to access files when javascript is disabled -- you are forced to sacrifice your privacy.

In any case, the error log is readily available, and has been for months. The author hasn't responded to the thread, not even to state that they were unable to access the log file I posted, nor to ask for further log files. As far as I am aware, there is no other way besides this thread to report bugs. The "How to get support" heading on the first post confirms that this is the correct way to report bugs, and I have had no response. Therefore, I consider this mod abandoned.

I can't take over the mod, for several reasons:

First, the license on the mod is "All rights reserved". https://github.com/KerboKatz/AutomatedScienceSampler/blob/master/LICENSE

So forking the code is actually against copyright law.

Second, I can't find any KSP modding instructions that work on Linux, and I do not have access to any Windows computers.

2 hours ago, Ceromancy said:

So forking the code is actually against copyright law.

So it being abandoned is an irrelevant point.  

2 hours ago, Ceromancy said:

Second, I can't find any KSP modding instructions that work on Linux, and I do not have access to any Windows computers.

Check the add-on development help sub forums.   I know for a fact there are many Linux modders on the forum, quite a few of which are more than happy to help out.  Ksp mods for the most part are independent of the platform they are made on.  A mod that works in LInux should also work on Win and Mac.  

@Ceromancy This mod works fine for me on 1.9. and it worked fine in 1.8 as well.

Are you turning it on? The icon on the toolbar should be coloured, and animated. If it looks like the icon in Avera9eJoe's post above, it's not turned on. And are you selecting the correct options? It'll only run the experiments you tell it to.

The only issue is the sticky tooltip, which is rare enough that it's certainly not a game breaker.

Edited by WelshSteW
Clarity

@WelshSteW There is no icon on the toolbar. I have tried installing it in numerous different locations, including the location where I installed all the other mods (and those mods do work). KSP behaves as if this mod is not installed at all.

23 minutes ago, Ceromancy said:

@WelshSteW There is no icon on the toolbar. I have tried installing it in numerous different locations, including the location where I installed all the other mods (and those mods do work). KSP behaves as if this mod is not installed at all.

It should be installed in GameData\KerboKatz

Make sure you also have it's dependencies installed, KerboKatzUtilities.

I just tried the latest release of ASS with the latest KSP. Result: it works. I didn't see any errors either. If it doesn't show up for you in the toolbar please make sure you installed it properly. Directory structure is important! The zip that can be downloaded from GitHub already contains the correct structure as well as all required files. Simply extract it into your KSP installation directory.

Edited by SpaceTiger

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 7:28 PM, TaintedLion said:

Does this work with Bluedog? Also does this work like ForScience where it can do experiments during warp?

I don't think this does experiments during time warp - but it will pull you out of time warp so it can perform any experiments it finds.

Hey SpaceTiger - I see that automagically doing EVA reports is on the 'future' list, according to the OP.  Is there a timeline for that?  It would be glorious.  If not, I wonder if alternatively you could cause the mod to drop warp when EVA report is possible.  I think a couple other mods may do this - but I really like your mod and right now, from my limited usage, EVA reports are the only lack.  Working great in decently modded 1.10.1 so far; thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I've had issues with A.S.S. and the DMagic science modules for some time,

some modules like the micro goo and science micro modules would become broken is A.S.S. reset them.

I found a way to patch them in M.M. to allow A.S.S. to collect science from them and reset the modules:

@PART[dmRoverGoo,dmRoverMat]
{
    @MODULE[DMRoverGooMat]
    {
		@experimentLimit = 1
	}
}

This is a hack workaround but it works for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.