[1.8.x] AutomatedScienceSampler - V1.3.5 - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

I still can't get this work properly. Not remembering save data to a cockpit is a serious flaw. It means this must be switched off before launching. Otherwise it runs experiments and dumps all the data. Then when the cockpit is set again as the default container. The experiments don't run again. The data has just been lost.

The best way to fix this is keep the mod switched off until needed. Until proper craft settings have been included.

Hi!

Firstly, thanks for mod! =)

Is it OK if the mod doesn't work if I have scientist not sitting in 'root' cockpit?

How to check: build airplane with 2 cockpits. Place pilot in 'root' cockpit and scientist in secondary. Mod will not be working. Additionally, you will lost ability to get any science while sitting in cockpits. You will need to exit it by scientist and do it 'manually'.

If I swap pilot and scientist (scientist now is sitting in 'root' cockpit), mod start working fine.

P.S. Sorry for my awfull english =)

1 hour ago, bobvodka said:

I've grabbed the latest version from Curse (as CKAN might be a tad behind) and while science is now being collected I'm having issues with experiment resets still :(

http://pastebin.com/Bkh9XpL3 - a slightly abridged version of the log (mostly removed anything which wasn't related to this mod; left game flow intact as well as mod list towards top so you can see what else I have installed)

Steps were;

• Start new game
  • Build vessel with a command pod and one goo canister attached
  • Change to Bob for pilot
  • Launch craft
  • Goo collects and transfers to pod (yay!)
  • Goo fails to reset
  • Goo can on longer be interacted with via right click
  • Go EVA
  • Collect EVA report with Bob
  • Go back in to pod and EVA data is transferred (yay!)
  • Go EVA again and reset Goo by hand
  • Re-enter Pod
  • Turn off 'reset'
  • Reset threshold for science to 0.01
  • Science collected (and discarded as option enabled due to duplicate)
  • Turn on 'reset' again
  • Goo does not reset

Hopefully that'll be enough to repro it/figure out what is going on :)

Thank you this was a very detailed and helpful bug report. I was able to reproduce this error in a clean install but it didn't appear with my old settings file.

I'm working on a fix for this right now expect a fix soon.

54 minutes ago, Dmitrii said:

Hi!

Firstly, thanks for mod! =)

Is it OK if the mod doesn't work if I have scientist not sitting in 'root' cockpit?

How to check: build airplane with 2 cockpits. Place pilot in 'root' cockpit and scientist in secondary. Mod will not be working. Additionally, you will lost ability to get any science while sitting in cockpits. You will need to exit it by scientist and do it 'manually'.

If I swap pilot and scientist (scientist now is sitting in 'root' cockpit), mod start working fine.

P.S. Sorry for my awfull english =)

If i understood you correctly you are saying it doesn't reset the experiments or it doesn't work at all unless the scientist is in the root part ? I tested both cases and both worked flawlessly. You don't necessarily need a scientist for this mod, they are only needed if you want to reset the experiments.

22 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

It used to be that if I did an EVA it immediately grabbed the EVA report if needed.  It's not doing that anymore, I have to run them manually.  I don't know about surface samples, I haven't unlocked them yet.

I can confirm this and i think i found the issues. Now to find a fix for it...

1 minute ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

Ok now I am confused. Right now this has less features that the original. What is the point of this?

Is because For Science is now broken? 

Will @WaveFunctionP fix the For Science mod or should we switch to using this?

Ugh there were two ForScience version. One was WaveFunctionP's and the other was ours.

He updated his to 1.1 when it got release.

We never updated this to 1.1 since we wanted to do this rewrite which is supposed to make it easier to support third party mods such as DMagic Orbital Science. We realize it still has a few issues but we are working on them!

They both do pretty much the same. But i don't think his mod is supporting DMagic Orbital Science and he expressed that he wouldn't support it.

In the end its up to you which one you want to use. We just try to provide you the user with the best features. :)

21 minutes ago, SpaceTiger said:

Ugh there were two ForScience version. One was WaveFunctionP's and the other was ours.

He updated his to 1.1 when it got release.

We never updated this to 1.1 since we wanted to do this rewrite which is supposed to make it easier to support third party mods such as DMagic Orbital Science. We realize it still has a few issues but we are working on them!

They both do pretty much the same. But i don't think his mod is supporting DMagic Orbital Science and he expressed that he wouldn't support it.

In the end its up to you which one you want to use. We just try to provide you the user with the best features. :)

Ok now I am less confused. Sorry it is just me. The duplication of the mods name in the OP is really confusing. Especially since both mods are now for 1.1. :confused:

Right now ForScience does not seem to be working in 1.1 so I will use this version. So far the only problems that I am having with AutomatedScienceSampler is being caused by user error. :blush:

I keep forgetting to switch it off before recovery. Leaving it on messes up the next launch because it just always fails to store data. it keeps needing to be forced back to a cockpit. I am also a little worried that this will not support probe core storage later on when SETI is relaunched. However apart from that it all works. In fact it is rather awesome. It just needs to start switched off and later on needs to store user settings later on. Nice to see that as a planned feature.

What I am still confused by is ForScience did seem to work with DMagic Orbital Science. In fact it seemed to work with everything a little too well. The only mods it did't play nice with was resource using experiments. Like Station Science or Orbital Material Science. It had to be switched off when these experiments where present because it tried to trigger them too early. However apart from that it seemed to work.

If launching another version leads to better collaboration that is all good.

Hello, could you include an option to have it active persistently so you dont have to activate it on every launch? Basically like For Science Continued did it?

Thanks for the great add-on! :D

Edited by DaniDE

10 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

Ok now I am confused. Right now this has less features that the original. What is the point of this?

Is because For Science is now broken? 

Will @WaveFunctionP fix the For Science mod or should we switch to using this?

We have had different feature sets for a while now. ForScience is meant to be more of a "it just works" enchancement, and ForScience Extended (now AutomatedScienceSampler) is more configurable and supports other science mods that don't use the stock science experiment module.

Note: ForScience! does support 1.1. I'm not sure why you would think otherwise. Did you have an issue? If so, please tell me about it in the ForScience thread.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

@SpaceTiger and @WaveFunctionP 

I'm in the process of adding a static public API class to Orbital Science that might simplify interactions with other mods (things like deploying all of my experiments properly, checking if they can conduct, checking any custom biome or experiment situation implementations, etc...). I hope that by handling all of the type casting and checking on my end it can make things easier on the other side. All they should need is for you to give the methods a ModuleScienceExperiment (or maybe IScienceDataContainer) reference. 

I'll update when I have something more concrete.

After 1.0.4 was released things have improved greatly so thanks for that :)

There is still something I've noticed; it doesn't seem to be playing completely nicely with DMagic/Universal Storage versions of stock experiments.

I tend to do much of my science to start with via probes, previously I could use say a Universe Storage Quad Core with 4 Material science bays attached (thanks to DMagic's mod) and it would only run the experiments which would generate new science above the threshold. (So, 1 on the launch pad, one while flying, one flying high and one in orbit). What I saw earlier was, on the launch pad, all four bays opening and doing the science instead of just the one as expected. Interestingly if I retrieved the vessel and then launched it again it would do the same thing but the experiments, when I looked at them, had zero worth of science in them.

A quick look in the logs, after the relaunch shows this; http://pastebin.com/uWQ1dpEa

It seems like it thinks it gets some science (start of the log), then the ship is unpacked (line 101), and it then says 'oh, science is below threshold so not deploying' (although it has been deployed, as I can see the hatches open and can review the science which shows 0.0 for Mat. Science, Goo and Mag. Boom), then fails to reset due to a lack of scientist (which it repeats over and over at this point.)

IMO, the final lack of reset is a bug; the experiment hasn't been transferred after all and stock KSP lets you reset those experiments as long as you've not broadcast them.

4 hours ago, DMagic said:

@SpaceTiger and @WaveFunctionP 

I'm in the process of adding a static public API class to Orbital Science that might simplify interactions with other mods (things like deploying all of my experiments properly, checking if they can conduct, checking any custom biome or experiment situation implementations, etc...). I hope that by handling all of the type casting and checking on my end it can make things easier on the other side. All they should need is for you to give the methods a ModuleScienceExperiment (or maybe IScienceDataContainer) reference. 

I'll update when I have something more concrete.

That sounds awesome! Thanks in advance.
As for what to give as a reference I'm fine using a DMModuleScienceAnimate since that's what all your other modules are based on and I'm already referencing to your assembly. I liked you "conduct" method its quick and easy!
I have a few suggestions what to include:
A method to

• get the science value, currently I'm using the stock methods but i know you do some special things with asteroids and other experiments that modify this
  • get the current science subject, currently using stock methods but again asteroids are a special case that my code doesn't take into account
  • if the experiment can be conducted but you already have this
  • a way to deploy the experiment
  • another way to deploy it without the result window

I didn't play with your science experiments in a while but if you have special conditions as to when something can be reset/transferred a check for those would be helpful as well.

3 hours ago, bobvodka said:

After 1.0.4 was released things have improved greatly so thanks for that :)

There is still something I've noticed; it doesn't seem to be playing completely nicely with DMagic/Universal Storage versions of stock experiments.

I tend to do much of my science to start with via probes, previously I could use say a Universe Storage Quad Core with 4 Material science bays attached (thanks to DMagic's mod) and it would only run the experiments which would generate new science above the threshold. (So, 1 on the launch pad, one while flying, one flying high and one in orbit). What I saw earlier was, on the launch pad, all four bays opening and doing the science instead of just the one as expected. Interestingly if I retrieved the vessel and then launched it again it would do the same thing but the experiments, when I looked at them, had zero worth of science in them.

A quick look in the logs, after the relaunch shows this; http://pastebin.com/uWQ1dpEa

It seems like it thinks it gets some science (start of the log), then the ship is unpacked (line 101), and it then says 'oh, science is below threshold so not deploying' (although it has been deployed, as I can see the hatches open and can review the science which shows 0.0 for Mat. Science, Goo and Mag. Boom), then fails to reset due to a lack of scientist (which it repeats over and over at this point.)

IMO, the final lack of reset is a bug; the experiment hasn't been transferred after all and stock KSP lets you reset those experiments as long as you've not broadcast them.

These logs are quite cut down. There are a few things that happen that aren't logged directly by AutomatedScienceSampler that's why we always request full logs. There are sometimes situations where some exception thrown 10 minutes earlier can cause issues to pop up later down the road. So please include the full log.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, Tiger... but didn't the 1.0.5 version work/deploy experiments that were in the Universal Storage mod? That no longer seems to be the case now. In my current playthrough, I have to manually open the doors on any experiments before the automated science gets done, which almost defeats the point.

On a similar vein, the DMagic Magnetometer needs to have the same thing done, though it looks like your last post talks about that. I though it had autodeployed before (as did the oribital telescope and the moisture sensor), but I may be wrong in that memory.

14 hours ago, SpaceTiger said:

These logs are quite cut down. There are a few things that happen that aren't logged directly by AutomatedScienceSampler that's why we always request full logs. There are sometimes situations where some exception thrown 10 minutes earlier can cause issues to pop up later down the road. So please include the full log.

Sure, no problem - I would have done it then but I was a little short on time and couldn't trim like I did before (I had a lot of mods installed so a lot of noise...) - however, fortunately, another mod broke things so I had to restart my install from zero so I figured it would be a good time to do a minimal reproduction of this problem :)

Anyway, the full log can be found here - http://pastebin.com/qMvFby6v

What I did;

• Start a new game giving myself 500 science and 500,000 credits
  • Upgraded VAB and unlocked the science nodes required to get the experiments I needed
  • Build a probes which had
    • One probe core (stock, first level)
    • 3 Universal Storage quad adapters stacked below it
    • 4 Uni. Storage Goo Experiments
    • 8 Uni. Storage Sci. Jr.
    • 2 Mag. Boom experiments
    • 4 stock temperature experiments
    • 6 batteries
    • 4 legs
    • 1 truss (batteries, legs and temp. experiments on it)
  • Launched probe
  • Setup Automated Science Sampler (ticked everything apart from 'debug')
  • Enabled science collection
  • Temperature collected as expected
  • 5 Sci. Jr. collected
  • 4 Goo collected
  • Adjusted science cut off down to 0.01 and 1 Mag. Boom collected - it only has a science level of 1.5 so threshold is a bit high by default for that
  • Recovered vessel
  • Relaunched same vessel from KSC directly
  • Same experiments as before ran (both in terms of numbers and positioning of those experiments) but all reported back zero science
  • Quit KSP via alt+F4
  • Reloaded KSP and save once I realised I didn't have logging enabled on this mod :( (so this is where the pasted log kicks in)
  • Selected 'fly' for probe already on launch pad from alt-f4 quit
  • Same experiments fired again
  • Enabled debug output on mod
  • Reverted to launch
  • Alt-F4 quit

Hope that helps :)

I just noticed that some (all?) of DMagic's biome-specific orbital experiments do not seem to trigger correctly upon entering a new biome. The orbital telescope (in low orbit), for example, will trigger once only, in the first biome you enter, but after that no other readings are made upon entering any subsequent biomes, even if the remaining science that could be gained exceeds the threshold value. This is in contrast to stock science experiments like the gravioli detector which re-trigger automatically whenever a biome with remaining science over the threshold settings is entered.

Hoping this hasn't been mentioned elsewhere (I did check, but if it was I must have missed it). I am using what should be the latest versions of both automated science and DMagic. I don't know if the problem is limited to DMagic orbital experiments, or if surface experiments behave the same way.

@SpaceTiger This is a just a first version, and it probably has lots of errors, but here is a look at the new API. I'll add documentation for it later.

It has methods to check if the experiment can be conducted, to conduct the experiment (with or without opening the results window), getting the experiment situation and biome, and several methods related to asteroid science.

The next version will also include some fixes to lab and EVA experiment resets, which may be causing problems here.

16 hours ago, Shadriss said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, Tiger... but didn't the 1.0.5 version work/deploy experiments that were in the Universal Storage mod? That no longer seems to be the case now. In my current playthrough, I have to manually open the doors on any experiments before the automated science gets done, which almost defeats the point.

On a similar vein, the DMagic Magnetometer needs to have the same thing done, though it looks like your last post talks about that. I though it had autodeployed before (as did the oribital telescope and the moisture sensor), but I may be wrong in that memory.

13 hours ago, DaniDE said:

There seems to be a problem with the Universal Storage version of Orbital Science. In my case, the experiments seem to fire but no results are stored in the capsule. My observation might be wrong tho.

Here is my log https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvjdmjybr5ji51u/output_log.rar?dl=0

Thanks! :)

12 hours ago, bobvodka said:

Sure, no problem - I would have done it then but I was a little short on time and couldn't trim like I did before (I had a lot of mods installed so a lot of noise...) - however, fortunately, another mod broke things so I had to restart my install from zero so I figured it would be a good time to do a minimal reproduction of this problem :)

Anyway, the full log can be found here - http://pastebin.com/qMvFby6v

What I did;

• Start a new game giving myself 500 science and 500,000 credits
  • Upgraded VAB and unlocked the science nodes required to get the experiments I needed
  • Build a probes which had
    • One probe core (stock, first level)
    • 3 Universal Storage quad adapters stacked below it
    • 4 Uni. Storage Goo Experiments
    • 8 Uni. Storage Sci. Jr.
    • 2 Mag. Boom experiments
    • 4 stock temperature experiments
    • 6 batteries
    • 4 legs
    • 1 truss (batteries, legs and temp. experiments on it)
  • Launched probe
  • Setup Automated Science Sampler (ticked everything apart from 'debug')
  • Enabled science collection
  • Temperature collected as expected
  • 5 Sci. Jr. collected
  • 4 Goo collected
  • Adjusted science cut off down to 0.01 and 1 Mag. Boom collected - it only has a science level of 1.5 so threshold is a bit high by default for that
  • Recovered vessel
  • Relaunched same vessel from KSC directly
  • Same experiments as before ran (both in terms of numbers and positioning of those experiments) but all reported back zero science
  • Quit KSP via alt+F4
  • Reloaded KSP and save once I realised I didn't have logging enabled on this mod :( (so this is where the pasted log kicks in)
  • Selected 'fly' for probe already on launch pad from alt-f4 quit
  • Enabled debug output on mod
  • Reverted to launch
  • Alt-F4 quit

Hope that helps :)

This all seems to be connected. I'm going to try to reproduce this.

@bobvodka No need to trim the logs down. Noise is good, the more noise the more we know whats happening. Even if its from totally unrelated mods. On another note there could be something in the logs that seem innocent to you and you cut it out but in the might turn into something groundbreaking important. That's why I always ask for the full logs. :)

Edit: On another note all of this happen on the launchpad, right ? It seems like ASS is getting a wrong biome for these. But once the new DMAPI releases these issues should be in the past!

8 hours ago, Anbalsilfer said:

I just noticed that some (all?) of DMagic's biome-specific orbital experiments do not seem to trigger correctly upon entering a new biome. The orbital telescope (in low orbit), for example, will trigger once only, in the first biome you enter, but after that no other readings are made upon entering any subsequent biomes, even if the remaining science that could be gained exceeds the threshold value. This is in contrast to stock science experiments like the gravioli detector which re-trigger automatically whenever a biome with remaining science over the threshold settings is entered.

Hoping this hasn't been mentioned elsewhere (I did check, but if it was I must have missed it). I am using what should be the latest versions of both automated science and DMagic. I don't know if the problem is limited to DMagic orbital experiments, or if surface experiments behave the same way.

I'm guessing you have the transfer setting on ? I'll check this out and in the meantime can you please create a proper bug report as described in the first post ?

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

@SpaceTiger This is a just a first version, and it probably has lots of errors, but here is a look at the new API. I'll add documentation for it later.

It has methods to check if the experiment can be conducted, to conduct the experiment (with or without opening the results window), getting the experiment situation and biome, and several methods related to asteroid science.

The next version will also include some fixes to lab and EVA experiment resets, which may be causing problems here.

I had a look at it and it is indeed a big improvement. I already started implementing it.

Thanks for the api!

Edited by SpaceTiger

8 hours ago, SpaceTiger said:

This all seems to be connected. I'm going to try to reproduce this.

@bobvodka No need to trim the logs down. Noise is good, the more noise the more we know whats happening. Even if its from totally unrelated mods. On another note there could be something in the logs that seem innocent to you and you cut it out but in the might turn into something groundbreaking important. That's why I always ask for the full logs. :)

Edit: On another note all of this happen on the launchpad, right ? It seems like ASS is getting a wrong biome for these. But once the new DMAPI releases these issues should be in the past!

Well, with over 100 mods installs the log file was a bit too large for pastebin thus I had to trim the first one I posted down - the one before this was pretty much case of 'no time, inform of problem, revisit later if not enough details'; I work as a programmer so I know how annoying a lack of details can be, but at the same time I'm pretty sure I can spot unrelated stuff too, and if in doubt I'd leave it in :)

And yes; this was all on the launch pad for me.

Although playing yesterday with a fully modded install I noticed some problems collecting data during the rest of the flight (materials and goo were getting data, but failing to transfer and register in the command pod or MK1-85 backseat from the MOLE plugin, but the science was also missing from the experiments as it was being reset due to my flight crew being a pilot and scientist) - no logs for it atm, might be related to problems above so I'll wait for an update and retest.

Edited by bobvodka

@SpaceTiger Most of the documentation for the API is done. I probably need to give it a once over to make sure everything works like it should, since it's a little hard for me to actually test all of this without writing lots of test code.

Also, Orbital Science uses the standard fields for checking if an experiment can be reset, or data collected on EVA.

Most of the API is self-explanatory; the asteroid bits are probably the only confusing stuff.

DMOS basically has a way of tracking asteroids that runs in parallel to the stock science subject method of tracking results. It generates science subjects with an ID like this (which is what KSP is actually using when it determines how much a set of ScienceData is actually worth):

Experiment Name + 
@Asteroid + (I have to temporarily rename Eeloo to get this part to work :wink:)
InSpaceLow / SrfLanded +
Asteroid Type (determined internally) +
Asteroid Seed (the same as is appended to stock asteroid samples)

Then it keeps another record that it tracks using the subject title (not the ID, which has the unique asteroid seed identifier). The record is similar to a ScienceSubject; it stores a science cap, and scientific value (the 0-1 value representing the remaining fraction of science), and the science value (how much science has been returned for that experiment and asteroid type), but not the subject value multiplier, the stock science subject value is used whenever that is needed.

It uses this second record to trick the stock system into thinking that science has been recovered from repeated samples of the same asteroid type (by modifying the ScienceSubject science and scientificValue fields). So a set of XRay samples from 5 different S Type asteroids would give 80 science for the first sample, 70 for the next, then 60, and so on.

The API has methods for getting the current science cap, total science returned, and asteroid scientific value for a given asteroid science subject; multiple overrides are present allowing for different methods to actually get that science subject.

There are also several methods to check if an experiment uses asteroids, to check if DMOS considers an asteroid to be present for science purposes (some of these probably shouldn't be called repeatedly, at least not every frame), and to get the resulting science subject for a certain ModuleScienceExperiment. 

And finally, there is a method analogous to the stock R&D getNextScienceValue, that gives the value of the next result for a given experiment and science subject.

Utility stops collecting science after game reload.

I launch a vessel with many science instruments (it was a first flight to return from the orbit).  The utility collects science for most of the instruments.

I reload a game from saved state before the launch, and the utility stops working.  The utility dialog opens but nothing happens, no science is collected.

Unfortunately, the log of the game session when the utility was working is lost.  Here is log of the session where I did several reloads trying to understand what is wrong: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bulugk4pqyapp7w/AABLi-T-YQIMPsk6Y8eNSxLXa?dl=0

On 25.4.2016 at 9:53 PM, DMagic said:

@SpaceTiger Most of the documentation for the API is done. I probably need to give it a once over to make sure everything works like it should, since it's a little hard for me to actually test all of this without writing lots of test code.

Also, Orbital Science uses the standard fields for checking if an experiment can be reset, or data collected on EVA.

Most of the API is self-explanatory; the asteroid bits are probably the only confusing stuff.

DMOS basically has a way of tracking asteroids that runs in parallel to the stock science subject method of tracking results. It generates science subjects with an ID like this (which is what KSP is actually using when it determines how much a set of ScienceData is actually worth):

Experiment Name + 
@Asteroid + (I have to temporarily rename Eeloo to get this part to work :wink:)
InSpaceLow / SrfLanded +
Asteroid Type (determined internally) +
Asteroid Seed (the same as is appended to stock asteroid samples)

Then it keeps another record that it tracks using the subject title (not the ID, which has the unique asteroid seed identifier). The record is similar to a ScienceSubject; it stores a science cap, and scientific value (the 0-1 value representing the remaining fraction of science), and the science value (how much science has been returned for that experiment and asteroid type), but not the subject value multiplier, the stock science subject value is used whenever that is needed.

It uses this second record to trick the stock system into thinking that science has been recovered from repeated samples of the same asteroid type (by modifying the ScienceSubject science and scientificValue fields). So a set of XRay samples from 5 different S Type asteroids would give 80 science for the first sample, 70 for the next, then 60, and so on.

The API has methods for getting the current science cap, total science returned, and asteroid scientific value for a given asteroid science subject; multiple overrides are present allowing for different methods to actually get that science subject.

There are also several methods to check if an experiment uses asteroids, to check if DMOS considers an asteroid to be present for science purposes (some of these probably shouldn't be called repeatedly, at least not every frame), and to get the resulting science subject for a certain ModuleScienceExperiment. 

And finally, there is a method analogous to the stock R&D getNextScienceValue, that gives the value of the next result for a given experiment and science subject.

That's a great start. I couldn't find a method that's an analogous to the stock GetScienceValue. Are we supposed to use the stock one for the first result ? Or just always use getNextDMScienceValue ?

Do you have a release date planned for the API ?

The stock GetScienceValue should always work, it just takes the data amount and the science subject and figures out what it's worth, I don't do anything to change that, including with asteroid science.

I want to wait until the next KSP patch before I update. But it is otherwise mostly ready, I just need to sort out some issues with using the big dish as a science transmitter. So I hope this week.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.