[0.90] Odysseus Planet Pack for Old Kopernicus (v1.2) [EVE! PlanetShine!] [Jan. 10, 2015]

Thomas988

Should Odysseus be moved far away form Kerbol (like slightly closer than Eeloo or farther?)  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should Odysseus be moved far away form Kerbol (like slightly closer than Eeloo or farther?)

o3IcFWT.png

Powered by the Kopernicus planet creation mod, the Odysseus Planet Pack adds in a gas giant with a variety of unique moons. Included with this pack is a gas giant, four terrestrial moons, two asteroids (on-rails), and an ice giant. The Odysseus Planet Pack is intended to be a Kerbal Space Program player's first mission to a another planetary system with multiple moons, featuring just as many new challenges as there are more intermediate-level tasks.

XQXxwoZ.png

THIS PLANET PACK REQUIRES KOPERNICUS TO WORK. DOWNLOAD IT HERE.

avQsyJB.png

Odysseus: The main gas giant of the planet pack. It is just slightly smaller than Jool, and it's orbit is a somewhat inclined and eccentric orbit just outside of Duna's. Odysseus has many moons, including terrestrial moons, asteroids, and even an ice giant, a small gas giant.

Telemachus: Telemachus is the first major moon of Odysseus. Its surface is covered in wide mountain ranges and dark valleys, and its orbit is perfectly circular with three degrees of inclination.

Antinous: Though classified as Odysseus' second moon, this asteroid nearly twice the size of Gilly does have a periapsis that reaches closer to its parent planet than Telemachus. You can see the wild kilometer-high mountains in map view for yourself, but in person the terrain is quite formidable.

Penelope: This beautiful orange desert is the only moon of Odysseus to acquire liquid water on its surface. Penelope is the same size as Laythe and also has the same atmosphere.

Polyphemus: Polyphemus is the second asteroid moon of Odysseus. Polyphemus is even smaller than Gilly, but has terrain almost as crazy as Antinous. Landing here is tricky!

Eumaeus: Take Eve, remove its oceans and atmosphere, add in some mountains, and you've got Eumaeus. This moon is rather distant from Odysseus, and its gravity is quite high. Nevertheless, Eumaeus has some wild mountains.

Athena: An ice giant larger than Kerbin, Athena is Odysseus' outermost satellite. Athena's orbit is more inclined than the other moons' and also maintains some eccentricity. Even a moon orbits Athena.

Aeolus: If an ice giant and gas giant orbiting each other wasn't strange enough, then try Aeolus: Athena's only moon. Aeolus is much like Duna, both in size and atmosphere, and has the same cold, dry look.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Javascript is disabled. View full album

Huge shoutout to SRB Gaming, who reviewed this mod!

1LlIQW6.png

1: Download the Core Kopernicus mod, and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and PlanetShine if you want them in your game. Not having EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and PlanetShine won't break the mod.

2: Install Kopernicus by putting the files under "GameData" into the GameData folder. Again, if you want EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and PlanetShine, install them now.

3: Now move the files in the Odysseus Planet Pack into the GameData folder. If any overriding occurs, just say "yes."

4: You're done! If you want to install any other planet packs for Kopernicus, just download them and transfer the data in their config folder into the "System" config.

VgIcFew.png

[B]v1.2:[/B] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and PlanetShine are now supported.
[B]v1.1:[/B] Textures accidentally included in the download from the Outer Planets Mod have been removed. If you are using v1.0, please update.
[B]v1.0:[/B] Odysseus Planet Pack released.

CSeeHnQ.png

Planned Features: I will look into Final Frontier ribbons, as _Augustus_ recommended it. I have not used it yet, but I will do what I can.

Known Bugs: When in map mode or high orbit, most moons will have the height map of whatever their template is. If anyone knows how to fix this, please contact me as soon as possible. Also, Aeolus has two completely different colors in map/height orbit mode and nearby/terrain mode. This is caused by its Duna template, and currently it isn't very fixable.

Really Cool Mods:

Kerbal Stock Part eXpansion: This is really cool mod that adds in tons of parts that seemed to have come straight form Squad. When messing around with KSPX I found that building huge motherships was extremely doable and looked really good -- all while keeping that stockalike look. To explore Odysseus and its moons, you'll need a big ship! Only downside is that it is made for 0.25, and I haven't gotten around to using it in 0.90.

Outer Planets Mod: The Outer Planets Mod is another planet pack for Kopernicus. It adds in some really gorgeous gas giants analogue to our own solar system. These planets have their own rings and moonlets, too!

TweakScale: Chances are you've heard of this mod and know what it is, but I'm going to go and suggest it anyways. It is a ton of fun to mess around with (especially when you edit the config files to make everything huge) and allows for a new world of creative building.

4xMe8DL.png

• _Augustus_, whose help was incredibly helpful and for his devotion to Kopernicus. This could not have happened had it not been for him.
  • CaptRobau, whose Outer Planet Mod I used very much as a template to get started and to keep everything working.
  • The developers of Space Engine, in which I used to create every single texture in this pack.
  • Everyone involved with Kerbal Space Program's development. I love this game so much I took several hours out of my week to create this pack.

License:

kV2rXt3.png

CC BY-SA 4.0

Edited by Thomas988
Title changes

You need to add dependency to Kopernicus Core and convert this to a ModuleManager config for compatibility with other planet packs, especially Outer Planets.. Other than that, great job.

Edited by _Augustus_

Oh...how to do I do that? :blush:

Simple. Say the mod requires Kopernicus Core and rename the thread to Odysseus Planet Pack for Kopernicus Core. Remember to give a link to it, though! :)

To convert it to ModuleManager, just copy this into a config in the Kopernicus "Config" folder into a config file named Odysseus.cfg:

@Kopernicus{

Body
{
name = Odysseus
flightGlobalsIndex = 750
Template
{
name = Jool
}
Properties
{
description = Known as being that "yellow dot in the night sky," Odysseus is a yellow gas giant just smaller than Jool with an assortment of unique moons.

radius = 5000000

mass = 2.4498052595297E+24

geeASL = 0.66666668375
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Sun
color = 0.182,0.168,0.88,1
inclination = 177.64
eccentricity = 0.045214674
semiMajorAxis = 28782238871.9421
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 61
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 5.59607362747192
epoch = 0
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Kopernicus/Textures/Odysseus_map
rimColorRamp = Kopernicus/Textures/ramp_blue
rimPower = 2.06
rimBlend = 0.3
}
}
Atmosphere
{
lightColor = 0.788, 0.782, 0.705, 1.00
ambientColor = 0.184, 0.204, 0.227, 1.00
}
}
Body
{
name = Telemachus
flightGlobalsIndex = 751
Template
{
name = Tylo
}
Properties
{
description = Telemachus is a sterile, dry desert of a moon. However, this detail has often been overlooked by people because of the great view of Odysseus that must exist there.

radius = 500000

mass = 1.72251933456051E+19

geeASL = 0.46875001513
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Odysseus
color = 0.127,0.131,0.122,1
inclination = 3
eccentricity = 0
semiMajorAxis = 20000000
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Kopernicus/Textures/Telemachus_map
rimColorRamp = Kopernicus/Textures/ramp_red
rimPower = 2.06
rimBlend = 0.3
}
}
}
Body
{
name = Antinous
flightGlobalsIndex = 755
Template
{
name = Dres
}
Properties
{
description = Antinous is the home of staggering mountains and steep cliffs on a magnitude unlike anywhere else in the solar system. Upon discovery of this asteroid, some shady astronomers claimed that Antinous was an exact copy of Gilly. When asked how they drew this conclusion, the astronomers quickly bolted out of the building. They have yet to be located.

radius = 21000

mass = 4.3471792e+15

geeASL = 0.05875001513
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Odysseus
color = 0.65,0.65,0.65,1
inclination = 19
eccentricity = 0.357
semiMajorAxis = 21000000
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Kopernicus/Textures/Antinous_map
rimPower = 2.06
rimBlend = 0.3
}
}
}
Body
{
name = Penelope
flightGlobalsIndex = 752
Template
{
name = Laythe
}
Properties
{
description = Scientists believe that Penelope formed much in the way that Laythe did, and that the reason liquid water exists here is due to tidal heating between Odysseus and the moon. Yet this didn't stop the public from drawing their own conclusion; Laythe and Penelope were once sisters and one day had a big fight, thus resulting in Penelope running away and living with Odysseus. Scientists have claimed that, however, celestial bodies are not sentient. The controversy rages to this day.

radius = 500000

mass = 4.6290736411285E+20

geeASL = 0.86400002523
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Odysseus
color = 0.186,0.100,0.51,1
inclination = 3
eccentricity = 0
semiMajorAxis = 50000000
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Kopernicus/Textures/Penelope_map
rimPower = 2.06
rimBlend = 0.3
}
}
}
Body
{
name = Polyphemus
flightGlobalsIndex = 756
Template
{
name = Ike
}
Properties
{
description = Much like Antinous, Polyphemus is a cold, grey, lifeless rock of an asteroid. The terrain here has been found to be less intense than its counterpart, but is highly varied nevertheless.

radius = 12000

mass = 2.4841024e+15

geeASL = 0.038245
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Odysseus
color = 0.60,0.60,0.60,1
inclination = 7.90000009536743
eccentricity = 0.371349517065196
semiMajorAxis = 58294609.6548519
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 35
argumentOfPeriapsis = 304.338592529297
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 1.71681469282041
epoch = 0
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Kopernicus/Textures/Polyphemus_map
rimPower = 2.06
rimBlend = 0.3
}
}
}
Body
{
name = Eumaeus
flightGlobalsIndex = 753
Template
{
name = Moho
}
Properties
{
description = Purple, lonely, and perhaps just as desolate as Telemachus, Eumaeus is not much of anything apart from its white-capped mountains and wide plains. People like to call this moon "Eve but just barely," and perhaps they're right.

radius = 250000

mass = 2.9397663e+22

geeASL = 0.33000000803
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Odysseus
color = 0.86,0.50,0.74,1
inclination = 4.0
eccentricity = 0
semiMajorAxis = 70000000
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 90
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Kopernicus/Textures/Eumaeus_color
rimPower = 2.06
rimBlend = 0.3
}
}
}
Body
{
name = Athena
flightGlobalsIndex = 754
Template
{
name = Jool
}
Properties
{
description = Astronomers were marvelled when they discovered that Odysseus had a small ice giant as a moon. Shouldn't all of Athena's gas gone to Odysseus during their creation phases? Scientists tried finding a reason, but gave up because they got bored.

radius = 2000000

mass = 1.567875366099E+23

geeASL = 0.2666666735
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Odysseus
color = 0.159,0.180,0.186,1
inclination = 14
eccentricity = 0.04
semiMajorAxis = 107119072.422697
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 61
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 5.59607362747192
epoch = 0
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Kopernicus/Textures/Athena_map
rimPower = 2.06
rimBlend = 0.3
}
}
Atmosphere
{
lightColor = 0.788, 0.782, 0.705, 1.00
ambientColor = 0.096, 0.168, 0.249, 1.00
}
}
Body
{
name = Aeolus
flightGlobalsIndex = 757
Template
{
name = Duna
}
Properties
{
description = A moon for a moon? What even is physics? Despite this, many tend to forget Aeolus even exists in the first place. Not much has been said about this moon. Maybe that's because Aeolus is a lot like Duna, but with less canyons. It's the Eumaeus of Duna, really.

radius = 320000

mass = 1.1024123741187E+21

geeASL = 0.18750000605
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Athena
color = 0.181,0.162,0.131,1
inclination = 2
eccentricity = 0
semiMajorAxis = 9650270.78031921
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Kopernicus/Textures/Aeolus_map
rimPower = 2.06
rimBlend = 0.3
}
}
}
}

I removed the Eeloo-moving part because that breaks compatibility with Outer Planets.

Edited by _Augustus_

I've done exactly that, and now the planets aren't showing up. This is going to take a lot of time for me to figure out, and it's already nighttime. Is it alright if I leave it for now and make it obvious to others that this isn't compatible with other planet packs?

rUcklrl.png

Of course it is. No need to strain yourself. It's only a mod.

Thanks, man. This is my first release of an add-on and I want to make sure I don't get reported for licensing infringement or everything breaking and whatnot. So for me this is really serious business, and I suppose I do need to relax a little. But again, I don't want to get in trouble for anything.

I've done exactly that, and now the planets aren't showing up. This is going to take a lot of time for me to figure out, and it's already nighttime. Is it alright if I leave it for now and make it obvious to others that this isn't compatible with other planet packs?

http://i.imgur.com/rUcklrl.png

Kopernicus doesn't like it when you edit the core system config and then add the same planets in an MM config, nor does it like it when you edit planets' flightglobals. Re-install Kopernicus and that will fix it, I think...

Anyway, I love Penelope. I was thinking, though, that these planets just don't fit in the stock Kerbol system. May I suggest I collaborate with you on making that old PFCE binary star system, Barry, and moving Odysseus to it, along with adding more planets? I would just set up the stars and barycenter and you could do the rest.

Kopernicus doesn't like it when you edit the core system config and then add the same planets in an MM config, nor does it like it when you edit planets' flightglobals. Re-install Kopernicus and that will fix it, I think...

Anyway, I love Penelope. I was thinking, though, that these planets just don't fit in the stock Kerbol system. May I suggest I collaborate with you on making that old PFCE binary star system, Barry, and moving Odysseus to it, along with adding more planets? I would just set up the stars and barycenter and you could do the rest.

I see. Well, I'll do everything I can tomorrow. Prayers it'll start working!

As for that collab, I'm honored! Count me in! Just keep in mind that I'm in highschool now and finals are seriously less than two weeks away. The only way I even got to make this planet pack in the first place is because I'm on winter break, though school starts on the 5th. So if we were to do anything together I'd suggest during the weekend, though that seems pretty obvious.

Anyways, that's all the foruming I'll be doing tonight.

If my computer can handle this gargantuan level of epicness, I'll probably download this.

Don't worry, Kopernicus is very low-memory-usage. My Stella Expansion adds more planets than this and I run fine with EVE Overhaul, Kerbin-side, KSC++, NEAR, DeadlyReentry, and Ven's Stock Revamp.

- - - Updated - - -

I see. Well, I'll do everything I can tomorrow. Prayers it'll start working!

As for that collab, I'm honored! Count me in! Just keep in mind that I'm in highschool now and finals are seriously less than two weeks away. The only way I even got to make this planet pack in the first place is because I'm on winter break, though school starts on the 5th. So if we were to do anything together I'd suggest during the weekend, though that seems pretty obvious.

Anyways, that's all the foruming I'll be doing tonight.

I'm working with GregroxMun on it right now. How about I just make an optional config that moves Odysseus?

Wait is that a gas giant orbiting a gas giant? Could you separate them in a different release and spread the moons between them? I kind of find with these planet mods that people tend to crowd all their planets into one planet system. No offence just me being picky :P

I'm working with GregroxMun on it right now. How about I just make an optional config that moves Odysseus?

That'd be great! It seems that no matter what I do Odysseus just doesn't like being a separate config files. And you're definitely a million times better at all this planet stuff, so I have no doubt you'll find a solution.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait is that a gas giant orbiting a gas giant? Could you separate them in a different release and spread the moons between them? I kind of find with these planet mods that people tend to crowd all their planets into one planet system. No offence just me being picky :P

No offense taken! But I'm so sure if I want to do that, really. The whole 'gas giant orbiting a gas giant" is what I think really separates this planet pack from others. Plus since I based this off of the Greek epic "The Odyssey," Athena being by Odysseus' side sort of correlates back to the epic in a weird metaphorical way that I'm pretty sure no one else will get. :P

The title has been changed, but is this mod now compatibale with the others or not?

I have the Stella and Outer Planet pack, but the planets from this pack don't seem to show up.

The title has been changed, but is this mod now compatibale with the others or not?

I have the Stella and Outer Planet pack, but the planets from this pack don't seem to show up.

It's currently not because the author can't get this mod working when it's compatible.

Edited by _Augustus_

It's currently not because the author can't get it working when it's compatible.

Thx for the reply looking forward to it. Also many thanks for the base of it.

Your mod truly is a godsent. Nobody truly got the original planet factory working because of the ram usage.

is this normal?

http://i.imgur.com/a3ML1ip.png

the moon (aeolus) has duna's red terrain and ice caps below a certain altitude

http://i.imgur.com/OwZuJfF.png

by the way, this is a great planet pack!

Yeah, that's normal. I just overdid it with the contrast-increasing for the color texture. :/

Does this mod support FinalFrontier? As in add more badges for the planets and moons you made?

No, but I will look into it eventually.

is this normal?

http://i.imgur.com/a3ML1ip.png

the moon (aeolus) has duna's red terrain and ice caps below a certain altitude

http://i.imgur.com/OwZuJfF.png

by the way, this is a great planet pack!

Ugh, serious immersion killer there. That's my biggest peeve with planet packs that people try to make. They look awesome in the scaled space view, but once you get closer it quickly becomes apparent that something is off. I mean in the above picture they look like two totally different planets.

I'm fairly sure you can correct that issue. You most likely need to disable the PQS mods that supply the landclasses color and make it so it's only using the texture for color instead. Can be done with RSS and maybe even kittopiatech.