The Atlas Mission: A Modded 200 Kerbal Grand Tour!

Stratzenblitz75

Greetings!

Tis' about time I did another one of these...

Introduction:

As with my previous grand tours, the goal of this grand tour is to land on every planet in the Kerbol system. However, this time I'm doing things a bit differently. Whereas in my previous grand tours, I just landed on a planet once and left; this time I'm going to explore each planet in more depth. I intend to visit all the easter eggs/points of interests in the game as well as revisit all the flags/debris from my previous grand tour, the Outer Wilds Mission.

I'm also using a lot mods to make exploration less stressful and more interesting. Still running 0.25 as well since most of the mods haven't updated. I'll see about upgrading to 0.90 but there's not much in 0.90 that interests me.

Here are the most significant part mods:

Karbonite

OKS/MSK

B9_Aerospace

KWRocketry

NearFutureElectrical

NearFutureSolar

KAS

ScanSAT

ProceduralParts

ProceduralFairings

On top of this, I'm using a few mods to make things more difficult:

FAR

DRE

Kerbal ISP Difficulty Scaler (With atmospheric ISP scaler)

TAC Life Support

And some mods to make things more Beautiful

PlanetShine

EVE

KSP Renaissance Compilation

In addition, I have modified a few parts to make things more interesting/reduce partcount. For instance, I have added a FissionGenerator module to the large B9 HX generator (Now it consumes uranium and needs very large radiators) and buffed its power generation. To balance this, I have also increased the power consumption of the B9 HX plasma engine so that it takes 3 HX generators to run 2 Hx engines at full throttle.

I've also increased the length of the struts so that I can reinforce my large HX ship without making it a cobweb of struts.

As hinted by the title, I'm taking 200 Kerbals with me and I'm providing ample living space for them (in form of the OKS habitation rings). I'm using the OKS greenhouses to supply life support for my Kerbals, and I have abut 100 days worth of back-up life support in case something goes wrong. Life support power is provided by two massive solar panels in the inner solar system (Kerbin, Eve, Moho), and 1, 3.75m Nuclear reactor in the outer solar system.

The Vessels:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Observatorium:

Description:

As the main ship, The Observatorium needs to support ~200 kerbals, and have enough Delta V to complete transfers WITHOUT aerobraking. In other words, it needs to be HUGE.

5OdmRKw.png

Stats:

Mass (Kg): 6114 Tons

Dry Mass (Kg): 2372 Tons

Delta V (m/s): 5933

Part-Count: 422

Crew capacity: 268

As you can see, the main ship alone is quite hefty on the part-count. So, I've assembled a few low part-count, multi-purpose vessels to keep the lag down:

GPL V6:

Description: As with the GPLV1 and GPLV3 used on my previous grand tours, the GPL V6 does what it says on the tin: A general purpose lander for landing on anything except Eve. This time, however, the GPL is more general purpose than ever as it features: scanning equipment, Karbonite mining and refining equipment, a B9 SABRE engine that can be used in vacuum and in Laythe's atmosphere, a Karbonite engine for extra umph, wings, and a decent crew capacity of 26 kerbals (including the pilots) as well as two weeks of life support for them. Basically, this lander can go on exploring a planet (except Eve) and refueling itself for two weeks before it has to return to the main ship. On top of that, it has a really low part count. Only 65 parts! Because of this, I am taking two GPL V6's with me on my journey.

j1WX6eJ.png

Stats:

Mass (Kg): 89.7 Tons

Dry Mass (Kg): 38.4 Tons

Delta V (m/s): 2952

Part-Count: 65

Crew capacity: 26

Amenthes Eve Lander:

Description: The Amenthes Eve lander is by far the largest, and most difficult to design Eve lander I have ever built. With FAR and DRE, landing this sucker is no easy task as the rocket has to survive both a brutal reentry at 3 km/s and dynamic pressures of up to 400 Kpa. On top of that, it needs to be able to land on flat ground, or else it will topple over. To survive these hazards, Amenthes has a large 10 meter, 38 ton ablative heat shield and a "feathering crown" to keep it oriented. After it slows to below mach 1, a parachute deploys and the heat shield is jettisoned. At this point, all 5 main sails will ignite and slow the rocket to a "hopefully" gentle landing. The Amenthes carries 2 kerbals but it will not descend with them on-board. That part is handled by the next craft...

JwSrydy.png

Stats:

Mass: 329.5 Tons

Payload Mass: 3.936 Tons

Delta V (m/s): 9787

Part-Count: 74

Crew capacity: 2

Eve Science Rover:

Description: The Eve Science Rover is a winged rover hybrid designed to shuttle two Kerbals down to Eve's surface. It has enough life support for 1 month, which should give me plenty of time to rove around Eve before I need to return to the Amenthes. It features a small mono-propellent engine for the initial de-orbiting.

NEuCs5t.png

Stats:

Mass: 9 Tons

Dry Mass: 8.7 Tons

Delta V (m/s): 51

Part-Count: 25

Crew capacity: 4

Now, this stuff is great and all, but I need to get it into orbit before I can start!

For that, I have the following vessels:

Betelgeuse Overwhelming Large Wrocket (OWL):

Description: This monster of rocket is for huge payloads that you can't be bothered to assemble in orbit. With 79 KW rocketry Century engines, it has almost 900 Mega-Newtons of thrust and can carry ~9000 tons to LKO. As you might imagine, this thing is capable of lifting Observatorium into orbit in one piece, fully fueled. At ~200 parts, it is fairly low on the part count, but it still creates a lot of lag when paired with Observatorium.

HC0v7hB.png

Stats:

Mass: 71510.6 Tons

Part-Count: 181

Crew capacity: 0

Amenthes Launch Vehicle:

Description: This rocket is a fairly run-of-the-mill launch vehicle. It is designed to get Amenthes Eve Lander into orbit, nothing else.

hOd5eFI.png

Stats (with Amenthes Eve Lander):

Mass (Kg): 3226.5

Part-Count: 131

Crew capacity: 0

Callisto Crew Transport:

Description: Also a fairly standard rocket, but it has a very important role: Carry 200 Kerbals into orbit and provide 2 weeks of life support for them. Comes with a large launch tower for quickly transferring crew into the rocket.

93Aw2tc.png

Stats:

Mass (Kg): 1360 Tons

Dry Mass (Kg): 350.4 Tons

Part-Count: 141

Crew capacity: 200

Executing the mission:

Rather than uploading an Imgur album, I have decided to upload my adventure to YouTube.

I hope to show you the important events of the mission as well as tell you a little story along the way.

Episode 1:

This is the first episode in the series, and my first "machinima" of any kind...

Literally, first time in a non-linear video editor, first time voice-acting, first time recording video, ect. So any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Time stamps:

0:00 Intro

3:33 Launch of Observatorium

8:46 Launch of Amenthes

11:17 Takeoff of GPL1 and GPL2

16:04 Transition Dialog

19:21 Escape

22:00 Launch of Callisto Crew Transport

Note: I intend to make this a series, but I will not be able to release videos like this for every episode. This video took a good two-three weeks to produce with my limited experience... Lets just say that I have a lot more respect for you cinematic makers out there. This stuff is hard and I am amazed how you guys pull it off...

Those are some epic ships!

Could you please tell me how you clustered the engines on the bottom of the large procedural tank on your OWL lifter? I have tried the same thing without success, they always fell apart as soon as physics kicked in. I though I was going big with 9 5m SpaceY engines trying to push a piddling 4500 tonnes!

Those are some epic ships!

Could you please tell me how you clustered the engines on the bottom of the large procedural tank on your OWL lifter? I have tried the same thing without success, they always fell apart as soon as physics kicked in. I though I was going big with 9 5m SpaceY engines trying to push a piddling 4500 tonnes!

Thanks!

I used a procedural thrust plate from the procedural fairings mod to cluster the engines. It gives a nice, sturdy "plate" to mount your engines on and it helps reduce part-count (you only need one thrust plate instead of 'n' radial attachment parts), so its a win-win! I'm also using Kerbal Joint Reinforcer and I highly recommend you download it if you haven't already. It allows you to build big without making your rocket a cobweb of struts. Also, If your rocket is falling apart when the physics kicks in, then KJR may fix that problem, as it reduces the physics stress during loading.

The destruction of the launch pad when you dropped all the boosters was a moment full of comedic potential.

Thanks for the feed-back! Now that I look back on it, I realize I could of done something more comedic with launch-pad destruction. In fact, I should have had more comedic moments in the video. I think I took things a bit too seriously in this project...

You're insane. But in a good way! ... I think.

You may be right about my insanity, but is it a good kind? I'm doubtful of that myself...:confused:

Thanks!

I used a procedural thrust plate from Procedural Fairings cluster the engines. It gives a nice, sturdy "plate" to mount your engines on and it helps reduce part-count (you only need one thrust plate instead of 'n' radial attachment parts), so its a win-win! I'm also using Kerbal Joint Reinforcer and I highly recommend you download it if you haven't already. It allows you to build big without making your rocket a cobweb of struts. Also, If your rocket is falling apart when the physics kicks in, then KJR may fix that problem, as it reduces the physics stress during loading.

Well there you go! I have procedural fairings but didnt even know they had that part! I think I was using a very old version until I updated to 0.90 and checked all my mods.

That part is exactly what I was looking for, I was using a mess of nastyness before, which is why it didnt work I'm sure. I will look into KJR as well since you have suggested it, sounds good.

O....M........G!!!!....

Great, now I have to dig my laptop out of the bottom of the closet, where it scuttled off to in terror, after playing that video for me.... lol

(My part limit is MAYBE 300, before KSP overheats my computer, and CTDs... )

How did you get such a big fairing on there? I thought PF could only make fairings 50 meters tall, that things like 2 times the size of VAB

There's a limit on how tall the fairing can be? If so, then I've never encountered it. The only limit I know of is how wide you can make the fairing base and as you can see, I modified that limit so that I could use a 20 meter base. Perhaps the height limit is tied to how wide the base is? Or maybe there is a new height limit introduced in PF 0.90 (I'm using 0.25 for this mission)? I dunno...

There's a limit on how tall the fairing can be? If so, then I've never encountered it. The only limit I know of is how wide you can make the fairing base and as you can see, I modified that limit so that I could use a 20 meter base. Perhaps the height limit is tied to how wide the base is? Or maybe there is a new height limit introduced in PF 0.90 (I'm using 0.25 for this mission)? I dunno...

Atleast in RSS, 0.90 I cannot get over 50 meters even with a 30 meter base. Idk, maybe Realism overhaul changes that or 0.90 changes that.

Atleast in RSS, 0.90 I cannot get over 50 meters even with a 30 meter base. Idk, maybe Realism overhaul changes that or 0.90 changes that.

Actually, I think I have an explanation for this: I'm using the hanger/VAB extension mod, which isn't updated for 0.90. Since this mod expands the building area of the VAB, the PF fairings can expand to a much larger size than in the regular VAB. Or at least I think that's whats going on. Could be wrong, but it seems like the most logical explanation.

Actually, I think I have an explanation for this: I'm using the hanger/VAB extension mod, which isn't updated for 0.90. Since this mod expands the building area of the VAB, the PF fairings can expand to a much larger size than in the regular VAB. Or at least I think that's whats going on. Could be wrong, but it seems like the most logical explanation.

Probably. I wish Hangar extender was updated, Im making something larger than OWL for RSS. I plan to do a venus return. I am however making my own engine rescaling KW century so I dont need too many parts, my computer stinks. So all the engines thrust is in one massive engine (made by das cfg edits) instead of 100 small ones.

Insane! Those are the largest rockets I've ever seen, never mind that HX interplanetary cruiser! As for the story elements, they were amusing, but I feel they somewhat broke the flow at points, and sections appeared to be missing. Regardless, awesome video.

Sorry this response is coming a bit late. Nevertheless, I appreciate your feedback.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you here. I struggled a lot with writing the dialog in this video and it shows. I wanted it to give some exposition to the story but I didn't want it to sound too ridiculous or forced. In the end, I'm not completely happy with how the dialog turned out. However, I hope to improve it in future episodes.

O....M........G!!!!....

Great, now I have to dig my laptop out of the bottom of the closet, where it scuttled off to in terror, after playing that video for me.... lol

(My part limit is MAYBE 300, before KSP overheats my computer, and CTDs... )

Lol, you're getting rep just for that description. Gave me a good laugh:D

Man, and I thought a 20 Kerbal grand tour was insane...

In other note, it would be hilarious if you played with dangit and keepfit.

Actually, I have my own version of dangit for this mission. Its called "bugs". In fact, just now, I tested the docking ports on the Observatoirum and the Eve Science rover won't undock. Great. Now I have to dig through that 200,000+ line persistent file and find the ONE docking port that's causing the problem. Ughhhh... I'm sure this isn't the end of it though. Expect more hilarious (and frustrating!:mad:) bugs in the future.

As for keepfit, that actually sounds like an interesting mod. The Hab rings, Agricultural modules and all the other empty spaces in the ship should provide plenty of space for all the Kerbals. Plus, none of my craft expose the crew to prolonged high-gees (even the Eve science rover is "safe" since it descends into Eve's atmosphere fairly gently) so I'm good (I think) in that area. I might try installing it if it weren't for this:

"- Uncounted undetected bugs!"

NOOO OHH KOD PLEASE NOOOOO! NOT THE BUGS....

I thought it was great that you launch a whole rocket on top of a rocket and then solve a rocket to a ship.

Reminds me of the UNSC Infinity launching eight frigates from its main hanger.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc3ktEpgRI8

Just the shear size of these ships.

And I thought your eve ascent stage was big.

Well good luck!

I thought it was great that you launch a whole rocket on top of a rocket and then solve a rocket to a ship.

Reminds me of the UNSC Infinity launching eight frigates from its main hanger.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc3ktEpgRI8

Just the shear size of these ships.

And I thought your eve ascent stage was big.

Well good luck!

Thanks! I wanted to make something big and I"m glad I accomplished that.:D However with great size comes great lag...

Seriously, the game runs at 1/10 speed around that thing. I'm not sure if EVE enhanced Kerbin is causing this lag, or the ship itself is wholly to blame. Either way its slow...

Also, just as an update I am working on episode 2! However, as I said, the lag makes things really slow. My ~10 minute Munar encounter burn took over 2 HOURS. And I had to babysit it the entire time since Mechjeb apparently can't keep it pointed straight. I really hope there's some way to automate these burns... Maybe there's some Mechjeb settings that can tweak how Smart A.S.S behaves... If you guys know any mods for 0.25 that can keep large, slightly wobbly ships pointed at the maneuver node I'd love to hear about it!

Maybe there's some Mechjeb settings that can tweak how Smart A.S.S behaves..

Have you tried adjusting MJ's attitude controller? I'm usually set Tf to 1 for big crafts and it behaves much more calmer.

I can't wait for episode 2!!!

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to get the next episode out in the next two weeks. No promises though! This stuff is time consuming and I don't want to rush anything.

I just watched the first episode and it was excellent, I really liked the voice acting.

Glad you enjoyed the voice acting! :) It was by far the most difficult thing to do (Especially coming from a first-time voice actor).

• 1 month later...

Wow, just wow. This has to be the most impresssive thing I have seen on the forums so far :D

I really like your design for the new GPLs (as opposed to those of the outer wilds mission) and also Oservatorium :o that truly is one beauty of a ship. I've seen quite a few HX design but none have ever made me want to build my own.

Please keep doing this series, I can hardly wait for the next part, really enjoyed the voice acting as well. It adds an element that many KSP videos are missing.

Since you asked for critique, the only thing I noticed (even though I know this might have been a concious decision) was that during the first Launch you reproduced some of the usual nasa launch chatter. I thought it a bit weird to do it for the first launch and then not for the following ones.

Also, two questions:

1. How on earth did you get those gigantic LFO tanks. Those tanks on the OWL look like they must be >20m in diameter.

2. Did you build this inside the VAB or the SPH? Or in some kind of external editor? I mean the OWL first stage is roughly the size of the VAB.

Greetings and best wishes from a Spaceplane enthusiast.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.