[1.3.x] SETI, Unmanned before Manned [Patreon]

Yemo

Is the HECS probrcore, the first one supposed to have the ability to do retro/prograde hold? When I do the first 18000 alt contract with high altitude probe, it has stability assist only. For the reach space contract with the seti space probe craft it has has all the assist functions available. Before .80 it did not do that. Is something messed up or is that the intent?

@Smegghed:

Ii forgot to mention that I did not experience any beautification problems with SETI specifically.

And for a nice progression career I recommend "Moderate" + 60% science/funds/reputation rewards.

@SSGFouts31:

Hm, HECS should not have anything besides basic SAS.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will investigate.

If it helps, the only mods I have installed outside your recommended ones are vens stock revamp, mks, and mcm.

I looked into it but could not find the culprit. I guess I ll just take out the :FINAL hammer in the SETI-settings.cfg, for the time being.

Although I m working to get rid of that compatibility inhibiting statement wherever I can...

I looked into it but could not find the culprit. I guess I ll just take out the :FINAL hammer in the SETI-settings.cfg, for the time being.

Although I m working to get rid of that compatibility inhibiting statement wherever I can...

So were you able to replicate the same problem? I only ask because I am trying to troubleshoot it as well.

So were you able to replicate the same problem? I only ask because I am trying to troubleshoot it as well.

Yes.

It seems the High Altitude Probe was last changed in an old version, so it is not affected. If you replace its HECS core with a new one, it shows the same SAS features as the other HECS probes and any new built HECS core.

In the SETI-PartMod-Squad-ComConElectrics.cfg, HECS gets stripped of all MODULES.

I think the great change was, that I reintroduced SAS via the SETI-settings.cfg for the HECS core in 0.8.0 or so.

So before reintroducing the SAS module through the SETI-settings.cfg, any mod with an MM statement like

@MODULE[ModuleSAS]

{

%SASServiceLevel = 2

}

would just not work, because the whole MODULE was removed.

Now with the MODULE[ModuleSAS] back, it works again, so any mod could be responsible. It may have been always there, I just happened to wake it up with 0.8.0...

While waiting for update, I made one of the rocket designs that was in my head for quite some time.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edit: Damn that imgur thing is huge. Want me to post this as link? There is nothing SETI-specific except the fact it's done on SETI install with supported part mods only (+pfairing retextures and decals)

Edited by SwGustav

While waiting for update, I made one of the rocket designs that was in my head for quite some time.

http://imgur.com/a/ckB4z

Edit: Damn that imgur thing is huge. Want me to post this as link? There is nothing SETI-specific except the fact it's done on SETI install with supported part mods only (+pfairing retextures and decals)

Nah, great pictures are always welcome :wink:.

About the update, I couldnt resist rebalancing the engine costs...

But it will definately be released later today (UTC).

New Version 0.8.2

Extended Mod Support

• Ven's Stock Part Revamp - use both the SETI AutoPruner file and the batch file from the StockPartRevamp to prune everything

New/Unused Parts/Textures, updated AutoPruner file

• Updated AutoPruner file, to prune Ven's fuel tanks and wings and so on...
  • New 0.625m liquid fuel engine rated at 15 thrust, when RLA Stockalike is installed

Rebalances & Adjustments

• All LFO, Mono and RCS engine costs "rebalanced" (quick and dirty, but much better than before)
  • Standard Flat Solar Panel much larger
  • Procedural & Universal Storage RCS tanks @generalRocketry (intentionally without engines)
  • RLA Stockalike LV-T5 Liquid Engine earlier @advRocketry
  • RLA Stockalike MPR-1 Monoprop Engines earlier @advRocketry
  • RLA Stockalike Solar Panels Z-4E earlier @advElectrics

Minor Changes and Fixes

• Removed TweakScale from parts with crew capacity

Glad to see that Stock Revamp is now a part of SETI, it does a really nice job of sprucing up the stock parts. The engine rebalance is also a great step in the right direction. Yemo, thanks again for all your hard work with this mod.

Edit: And I managed to get the first post on yet another page...

Edited by Lord Aurelius

Thanks!

I'm going to definitely give it a go with what you suggested.

We stream (By we I mean myself, my brother, and my oldest son) at twitch.tv/smeggco. We don't do KSP exclusively (it all depends on what one of us is in the mood for) but I think that this pack is going to be a lot of fun! I've already talked about it a couple of times in recent streams. It'll be great if you can stop sometime.

I'm also getting exposed to several mods I've never even looked into before, so it's totally a win-win. Thanks again!

Infernal Robotics parts don't work in my game. They can only be scaled and that's it. I haven't touched those parts like ever. I highly doubt that's because of some non-SETI mod. Anyone else has this issue?

Just as I said, Ven's revamp wrecks SXT. Half of surviving parts are N-1 and Jool V fuel tanks, due to their textures from NASA Mission, which aren't touched by revamp. I didn't create a list of additionaly broken parts, because there is a patch of sorts in SXT thread for fixing this.

I forgot how Ven's revamp is good. The only problem is how it doesn't really play well with stockalike mods. For example, take a look at revamped RCS thruster and the 5-way thruster from RLA. The difference is huge.

BTW! Additional chutes from revamp aren't placed in the chutes category. I also think radial drogue isn't probably scaled as the stock radial (with RealChute installed).

Quick suggestion: you might want to take a look at this new cockpit. It looks like as Kerbonov because of glass structure, but it's for 1 kerbal and has integrated LF tank.

Also, an idea: procedural probe core/control unit. Basically a procedural element with command function, limited in dimensions so it can't be super huge or super tiny. Probably with selectable tech tree-unlockable SAS level. Maybe a small amount of electric charge and omni antenna (which also increase with upgrades). Can be round (or a cone), just as Yemo wanted.

I might even try to create it myself, and an additional grey-stockalike texture for it.

Yesss!!! I have been waiting for Stock Part Revamp support. Yemo, this is a fantastic mod, you have done some outstanding work!
Glad to see that Stock Revamp is now a part of SETI, it does a really nice job of sprucing up the stock parts. The engine rebalance is also a great step in the right direction. Yemo, thanks again for all your hard work with this mod.

Edit: And I managed to get the first post on yet another page...

Thanks!

I'm going to definitely give it a go with what you suggested.

We stream (By we I mean myself, my brother, and my oldest son) at twitch.tv/smeggco. We don't do KSP exclusively (it all depends on what one of us is in the mood for) but I think that this pack is going to be a lot of fun! I've already talked about it a couple of times in recent streams. It'll be great if you can stop sometime.

I'm also getting exposed to several mods I've never even looked into before, so it's totally a win-win. Thanks again!

You are welcome!

Looking forward to the stream!

Will have to take a look at how to manage the time zones.

Infernal Robotics parts don't work in my game. They can only be scaled and that's it. I haven't touched those parts like ever. I highly doubt that's because of some non-SETI mod. Anyone else has this issue?

Just as I said, Ven's revamp wrecks SXT. Half of surviving parts are N-1 and Jool V fuel tanks, due to their textures from NASA Mission, which aren't touched by revamp. I didn't create a list of additionaly broken parts, because there is a patch of sorts in SXT thread for fixing this.

I forgot how Ven's revamp is good. The only problem is how it doesn't really play well with stockalike mods. For example, take a look at revamped RCS thruster and the 5-way thruster from RLA. The difference is huge.

BTW! Additional chutes from revamp aren't placed in the chutes category. I also think radial drogue isn't probably scaled as the stock radial (with RealChute installed).

Quick suggestion: you might want to take a look at this new cockpit. It looks like as Kerbonov because of glass structure, but it's for 1 kerbal and has integrated LF tank.

Also, an idea: procedural probe core/control unit. Basically a procedural element with command function, limited in dimensions so it can't be super huge or super tiny. Probably with selectable tech tree-unlockable SAS level. Maybe a small amount of electric charge and omni antenna (which also increase with upgrades). Can be round (or a cone), just as Yemo wanted.

I might even try to create it myself, and an additional grey-stockalike texture for it.

Hm, that is some strange behaviour in your install.

I used the standard infernal robotics yesterday and the additional chutes are in the parachutes category in my in maxMods game.

About the SXT parts, I really like the An/Kn-225 and some other stuff, but after RLA and Ven, I want to add some gameplay stuff first.

The parts from Ven are not too compatible with stock and especially the butt-less nature of the rocket engines exposes some not so great visuals...

For another cockpit, I had the AR-234 one from Coffee Industries in mind. Though in that pack, I do not like that the NK/KN-12 turboprop (which would fit nicely into subsonicFlight) is not fully animated on KAX level (including sounds)...

The procedural Core would be great, but also sounds like quite some work and possible issues. I put it onto my "long-term" dev list. There is a lot of other stuff to do for Procedural Parts, eg MKS-Storage/Karbonite/KAS storage and so on...

Uh, I meant that chutes are both in utility and in parachutes categories, not just in parachutes.

I think the latest tweakscale update has broken robotics, do you have the latest version installed?

Ah, missed that, thanks.

I will remove the parachutes in the next version.

Hm, and i missed some TweakScale/FreeScale updates, seems only the latest version had KSP AVC added...

I'm not sure what the problem is but with a full SETI install I seem to get a lot of lag on reentry if something explodes nearby. I've done my best to find the problem but I haven't had any luck. Anyone else have this problem? My frame rates will drop to between 1-3.

OK, I found the reason: I was missing KSP API extensions dll.

Which is strange, I had the absolutely same plugin from other mod. I guess infernal robotics' is path dependant or something.

I noticed ProceduralFairings folder in Ven's revamp, any idea what this is?

I'm not sure what the problem is but with a full SETI install I seem to get a lot of lag on reentry if something explodes nearby. I've done my best to find the problem but I haven't had any luck. Anyone else have this problem? My frame rates will drop to between 1-3.

Hm, I have not experienced that, but I did not perform a lot of reentries recently.

OK, I found the reason: I was missing KSP API extensions dll.

Which is strange, I had the absolutely same plugin from other mod. I guess infernal robotics' is path dependant or something.

I noticed ProceduralFairings folder in Ven's revamp, any idea what this is?

So you got TweakScale 1.51 something to work with IR?

I seem to have the dll in multiple folders, what exactly did you do to fix it?

Not sure about the procedural fairings, I would guess he made the procedural fairings nicer? Though keep in mind, some stuff from Ven's Stock Part Revamp seems to be currently deactivated, especially texture replacer components.

On a different note, I m unsure how to implement procedural storage for MCM/MKS/OKS/EPL and Karbonite.

This is the proposal from Atrius129:

Ok, I banged out a quick Procedural Parts part file for MKS.

PART:NEEDS[KolonyTools]{
// --- general parameters ---
name = proceduralTankMKS
module = Part
author = AncientGammoner, NathanKell, Swamp Ig, OtherBarry, Atrius129

// --- asset parameters ---
MODEL
{
model = ProceduralParts/Parts/cylinderTank
scale = 1,1,1
}
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---
node_stack_top=0,0.5,0,0,1,0,1
node_stack_bottom=0,-0.5,0,0,-1,0,1
node_attach=0,0,0.5,0,0,-1,1

// --- editor parameters ---
cost = 0 // 4000
TechRequired = advRocketry
entryCost = 4000
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = Procedural USI Tank
manufacturer = Kerbchem Industries
description = Made from viscoelastic nanopolymers (which were discovered by accident... growing in the back of the office mini-fridge) this fuel tank can be stretched to accommodate colony construction materials in a range of sizes and shapes. Hardens to a rigid structure before launch!

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 12
breakingForce = 500
breakingTorque = 500
maxTemp = 3200

MODULE
{
name = ProceduralPart

TECHLIMIT {
name = survivability
diameterMin = 0.1
diameterMax = 1.5
lengthMin = 0.1
lengthMax = 0.5
volumeMin = 0.1
volumeMax = 1.0
}

TECHLIMIT {
name = advRocketry
diameterMax = 3.0
volumeMax = 15.0
lengthMax = 5.0
}

TECHLIMIT {
// Make everything unlimited for metaMaterials
name = metaMaterials
diameterMin = 0.01
diameterMax = Infinity
lengthMin = 0.01
lengthMax = Infinity
volumeMin = 0.01
volumeMax = Infinity
}
costPerkL=424
}
MODULE
{
name = ProceduralShapeCylinder
displayName = Cylinder
techRequired = start

length = 1.0
diameter = 1.25
}
MODULE
{
name = ProceduralShapeCone
displayName = Cone
techRequired = generalConstruction

length = 1.0
topDiameter = 0.625
bottomDiameter = 1.25
}
MODULE
{
name = ProceduralShapePill
displayName = Fillet Cylinder
techRequired = advConstruction

length = 1.0
diameter = 1.25
fillet = 0.25
}
MODULE
{
name = ProceduralShapeBezierCone
displayName = Smooth Cone
techRequired = advConstruction

length = 1.0
topDiameter = 0.625
bottomDiameter = 1.25
}
MODULE
{
name = TankContentSwitcher
useVolume = true

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = Compost
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = Compost
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = BioMass
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = BioMass
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = Machinery
// This is the dry mass of the tank per kL of volume.
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = Machinery
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = RareMetals
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = RareMetals
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = ExoticMinerals
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = ExoticMinerals
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = StructuralParts
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = StructuralParts
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = MechanicalParts
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = MechanicalParts
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = Recyclables
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = Recyclables
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = Chemicals
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = Chemicals
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = Karbonite
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = Karbonite
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}
TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = Karborundum
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = Karborundum
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = Minerals
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = Minerals
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = Polymers
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = Polymers
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}
TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = SpareParts
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = SpareParts
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}
TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = Substrate
dryDensity = 0.17
RESOURCE
{
name = Substrate
unitsPerKL = 173.15
}
}
}
}

I made it so each tank only holds one resource (unlike how most MKS tanks hold 3-4 different resources). I didn't include metal, ore, or rocketparts because those are already included with the EPL Tank. Same goes for life-support.

I dont have space in the C: to install framework for GitHub, so the file is uploaded to my GDrive for now. Let me know how it works out and I'll throw on the PP page to be included (hopefully).

EDIT: I haven't really tested these very thoroughly yet, that's what this post is for.

EDIT:: Taking off the GDrive and posting code here

EDIT::: Changed tank to not show up unless MKS is installed.

I want to separate Karbonite and Karborundum from it and maybe split the other ones as well.

So:

1. New "Karbonite Tank" procedural part

2. Existing "Xenon Tank" retitled to something like "Special Fuels" and extended to include a Karborundum option (and later Argon for KSPI)

3. New "Storage Parts" procedural part, for "Machinery", "Structural Parts", "Mechanical Parts" and "SpareParts"

4. New "Storage Tank" procedural part for the rest

Any input on that is very welcome!

Edited by Yemo

I love this mod, The tech tree, the proc. part enhancements. I do not like autoptuner! I want control over what parts are available to use. what can I cut out to retain the things I like and leave the part tampering out?

Just open the file with text editor and remove parts which you need. You can prune and unprune on wish, so you may experiment as you'd like.

So you got TweakScale 1.51 something to work with IR?

I seem to have the dll in multiple folders, what exactly did you do to fix it?

Tweakscale has nothing to do with IR. I removed KSPAPIextensions because multiple copies of same plugin bug me. In this case I just put it back into MagicSmokeIndustries/Plugins (copied from original .zip for safety)

I want to separate Karbonite and Karborundum from it and maybe split the other ones as well.

So:

1. New "Karbonite Tank" procedural part

2. Existing "Xenon Tank" retitled to something like "Special Fuels" and extended to include a Karborundum option (and later Argon for KSPI)

3. New "Storage Parts" procedural part, for "Machinery", "Structural Parts", "Mechanical Parts" and "SpareParts"

4. New "Storage Tank" procedural part for the rest

Any input on that is very welcome!

Just open the file with text editor and remove parts which you need. You can prune and unprune on wish, so you may experiment as you'd like.

Tweakscale has nothing to do with IR. I removed KSPAPIextensions because multiple copies of same plugin bug me. In this case I just put it back into MagicSmokeIndustries/Plugins (copied from original .zip for safety)

Hm,

I tried the TweakScale 1.51 and it threw hundreds of exceptions every time I tried to use a hinge. While one direction worked, moving it in the other one resulted in the issues.

Need some input on the procedural parts above, and also about the Karbonite engines. The air breathers have higher thrust when using karbonite than using liquid fuel, which I do not understand.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.