[1.3.x] SETI, Unmanned before Manned [Patreon]

Yemo

After the recent update to Seti , I see that the solar pan3lwhave changed. I have a problem, i Cannot retract these new solar panels , the solar aray 1.2 KW and 2 KW parts. I can extend them but when i try to retract them , nothing happens. Also Remote tech stopped working with this new update. So i had to uninstall that. I could not get any contact with my probes anymore.

After the recent update to Seti , I see that the solar pan3lwhave changed. I have a problem, i Cannot retract these new solar panels , the solar aray 1.2 KW and 2 KW parts. I can extend them but when i try to retract them , nothing happens.

I believe the change to these panels is by design. My career game hasn't unlocked them yet, but in the R&D building the Solar Panel 1.2kW 2x3 that uses the OX-4 model has "These panels cannot be retracted" as part of the Deployable Solar Panel module description.

At a guess, this is to differentiate these earlier panels from the later cased ones.

Edited by Hasegawa
Adding a guess

@Yemo

Sounds good, I like your extended plan for SETI and I'm glad to see that the core is almost done.

The only other thing I can think of suggesting that might fit in the core is a mod that tweaks the stock science experiments, i.e. I always thought it was silly that the scientists at KSP seem to magically know that certain bodies are airless, and where the boundaries of their atmospheres are with space and so disable the barometer in those settings (note: this isn't necessarily my idea, BTSM does this and after playing it I've been annoyed with the stock science experiments ever since). Some kind of radiation experiment would be nice as well, I think FASA has a Geiger counter part with an appropriate experiment definition that would work well. Also, were you still considering adding a basic telemetry experiment to the probes?

The atmosphere edge thing sound like it needs coding, I am a bit hestitant about this, considering the workload in comparison to the benefits. Telemetry, the experiments SwGustav mentioned yesterday and those packs by N3h3mia are still planned.

After the recent update to Seti , I see that the solar pan3lwhave changed. I have a problem, i Cannot retract these new solar panels , the solar aray 1.2 KW and 2 KW parts. I can extend them but when i try to retract them , nothing happens. Also Remote tech stopped working with this new update. So i had to uninstall that. I could not get any contact with my probes anymore.
I believe the change to these panels is by design. My career game hasn't unlocked them yet, but in the R&D building the Solar Panel 1.2kW 2x3 that uses the OX-4 model has "These panels cannot be retracted" as part of the Deployable Solar Panel module description.

At a guess, this is to differentiate these earlier panels from the later cased ones.

Yes, those fragile solar panels are only extendable by design (though that general change was made some versions ago, but some were forgotten until 0.8.6). As Hasegawa guessed, the shrouded ones are retractable, but also heavier.

I will have to investigate the RemoteTech problem, since I only changed mass and consumption of the remote tech antennas, which should not affect their function.

Did you install BackgroundProcessing?

If that is the case, your ComSats might just be out of electricity.

I rebalanced the Solar Panels and RemoteTech antennas in a way that minimizes this problem (increased solar size, without decreasing output, and decreased RT antenna EC consumption).

But of course the Sats still need to be positioned/rotated correctly (so that their solar panels work on their whole orbit) and have sufficient EC buffer in form of batteries, for the time the ComSat is within the shadow of a planet/moon. With the EC storage increase for batteries, that should now be less of a problem, though it should still be accounted for.

This tool is helpful: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52132

If the problem with RemoteTech is something else, please let me know, and how it shows.

Edited by Yemo

@Yemo

I wasn't trying to propose a new experiment type for the barometer, I was more thinking of simply defining the low space situation as a valid place for the barometer to do experiments (along with the surface of airless bodies) with appropriate science messages. Later today I'll take a look to see if I can quickly hack something together.

I have a problem. With the new update, whenever I start a new career, I don't have any engines even in basic rocketry. This is quite troublesome. I don't even have any proc. SRBs in the Start node or Basic Rocketry? What have I've done wrong?

I have a problem. With the new update, whenever I start a new career, I don't have any engines even in basic rocketry. This is quite troublesome. I don't even have any proc. SRBs in the Start node or Basic Rocketry? What have I've done wrong?

Your engine tab in the VAB is completely empty? It should have the "0 Procedural SRB" and at basicRocketry you should get the "0 Procedural HRB".

Are you using RealFuels or similar?

Can you upload a screenshot of your GameData folder?

I hacked together a config file that enables barometer experiments for InSpaceLow situations with appropriate messages for all bodies. Surprisingly, Squad actually wrote a bunch of science messages for the barometer for the airless bodies but never used them. They've been enabled now. This doesn't change any of the existing experiments, all it does is enable a few new situations so it shouldn't break anything.

For anyone who is interested:

Barometer Science Tweaks

Thanks very much for the shout outs! They're very much appreciated.

Now that I'm back home and getting settled back in, I can't wait to check out all the changes.

And with your future plans, it's definitely something we'll be sticking with for a while.

And thanks again to everyone who contributes and makes it as amazing as it is. We're going to have a ton of fun.

Your engine tab in the VAB is completely empty? It should have the "0 Procedural SRB" and at basicRocketry you should get the "0 Procedural HRB".

Are you using RealFuels or similar?

Can you upload a screenshot of your GameData folder?

This is my gamedata folder. I think that something is very wrong with the techmods but I'm not sure...

KspMods.jpg

I hacked together a config file that enables barometer experiments for InSpaceLow situations with appropriate messages for all bodies. Surprisingly, Squad actually wrote a bunch of science messages for the barometer for the airless bodies but never used them. They've been enabled now. This doesn't change any of the existing experiments, all it does is enable a few new situations so it shouldn't break anything.

For anyone who is interested:

Barometer Science Tweaks

Interesting, I ll have to check.

About the telemetry experiments: It looks like I ll have some reading up to do for the science definitions and stuff. But if you are more familiar with it, I d be happy to implement what you come up with. The "ProbeScience" experiment from the linked thread (it was some time ago), looked like not exactly telemetry only stuff, which might interfere with other experiments.

Thanks very much for the shout outs! They're very much appreciated.

Now that I'm back home and getting settled back in, I can't wait to check out all the changes.

And with your future plans, it's definitely something we'll be sticking with for a while.

And thanks again to everyone who contributes and makes it as amazing as it is. We're going to have a ton of fun.

You are welcome.

For streaming I also recommend the FinalFrontier mod, which adds ribbons to kerbals when they complete missions/special tasks.

I linked it in the OP (I do not remember when), but I m not sure I mentioned it in an update.

This is my gamedata folder. I think that something is very wrong with the techmods but I'm not sure...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9457846/KspMods.jpg

That looks like a lot of unsupported mods. Have you tried out with the supported mods first and then added the rest?

If I would have to guess, I d say it is a tech tree problem. Mixing tech tree mods is a sure recipe for disaster.

I can see the ADIOS tech tree in there and I have no idea how it works with SETI, since SETI shifts parts around the tech tree as well.

Again, SETI is balanced for the Community Tech Tree and roughly supports the stock tech tree. Using anything else is at your own discretion as is anything beyond the stuff linked in the OP.

For streaming I also recommend the FinalFrontier mod, which adds ribbons to kerbals when they complete missions/special tasks.

I linked it in the OP (I do not remember when), but I m not sure I mentioned it in an update.

Done and done. I used to run with Final Frontier all the time, not sure why it feel through the cracks as of late. But it's back in. I also added (for anyone who does streaming) the "Draft Twitch Viewers" mod to help with viewer interaction. Good stuff!

Done and done. I used to run with Final Frontier all the time, not sure why it feel through the cracks as of late. But it's back in. I also added (for anyone who does streaming) the "Draft Twitch Viewers" mod to help with viewer interaction. Good stuff!

Oh, and about streaming, a few pages back the first reports appeared, that the RAM limit is scratched. With beautification mods on top of it, it will most likely be beyond the windows limits, without opengl or ATM.

Hi. I've installed the SETI mod as of this morning, and after running a few test games, I don't think that the CTT is loading the custom tech tree.

If this is indeed what the modified tech tree is supposed to look like:

http://i.imgur.com/9ygYbVR.jpg

In my first node, I have the Mk1 pod, LV-T30, RT-10 booster, FL-T200 fuel tank, girder, comm 16 and the MK16 chute. No probes, fins, or anything like is shown.

Both CTT and Tech Manager were installed via CKAN, and does prompt to load a custom tech tree on creation of a new game.

Edited by zilfondel

Hi. I've installed the SETI mod as of this morning, and after running a few test games, I don't think that the CTT is loading the custom tech tree.

In my first node, I have the Mk1 pod, LV-T30, RT-10 booster, FL-T200 fuel tank, girder, comm 16 and the MK16 chute. No probes, fins, or anything like is shown.

Both CTT and Tech Manager were installed via CKAN, and does prompt to load a custom tech tree on creation of a new game.

When the prompt came, did you make the check for the CommunityTechTree option (and only that option)?

HAHA. Wow, ignore my previous post. Apparently CKAN blew up and never actually installed the SETI part of the mod! Sorry about jumping the gun. I'll have this sorted out soon.

*edit* - booya! Everything installed properly, and the tech tree looks good so far. I've got a few mods like RLA and some SXT mods, they look so far to even be in somewhat appropriate spots.

This should be a fun game.

Edited by zilfondel

Oh, and about streaming, a few pages back the first reports appeared, that the RAM limit is scratched. With beautification mods on top of it, it will most likely be beyond the windows limits, without opengl or ATM.

Right now I'm doing alright, with ATM. I haven't had to go into OpenGL mode yet. With the memory leaks I can get about 45 minutes to an hour before I'm at ceiling and I have to restart, which I just work in drink breaks and stuff into.

Now I'm also not running all of the mods listed either. There's a couple of parts mods I didn't include (mostly out of laziness,) and I haven't included MKS/OKS and MCM or anything in the "additional mods" section because it sounds like they haven't been balanced yet.

Edited by Smegghed

@zilfondel:

No problem. Note that many SXT parts use stock textures which are affected by the pruning list from SETI. So if you want to use those, do not prune the squad parts.

@Smegghed:

The "additional mods" generally work in terms of balance, though I did not put as much effort into those for removing inconsistencies.

Kolonization especially is kind of separate from all the other mods, so except for storage parts, they should work quite well with SETI (I m using MKS/OKS myself at the moment).

But since these parts only start with ShortTermHabitation technode in the CTT, I would only install them at that time, not to waste memory before actually being able to use them.

I got a probe core telemetry science experiment working. I've updated my science tweaks mod with the code, link is in my signature.

Edit: And the more advanced features of this forum still elude me. How do I get my signature picture to float on the side instead of being stuck inline with text?

Edited by Lord Aurelius

And the more advanced features of this forum still elude me. How do I get my signature picture to float on the side instead of being stuck inline with text?

I use tables to set all things in my signature. It's a huge pain. Feel free to copy any ideas you find in this:

[table][tr][td]

[/td][td]

ONGOING

[/td][td]

YouTube Series:

COMPLETED

[/td][td]

ABANDONED:

-

[/td][/tr][/table]

That looks like a lot of unsupported mods. Have you tried out with the supported mods first and then added the rest?

If I would have to guess, I d say it is a tech tree problem. Mixing tech tree mods is a sure recipe for disaster.

I can see the ADIOS tech tree in there and I have no idea how it works with SETI, since SETI shifts parts around the tech tree as well.

Again, SETI is balanced for the Community Tech Tree and roughly supports the stock tech tree. Using anything else is at your own discretion as is anything beyond the stuff linked in the OP.

ADIOS is linked in the OP but I'll have to remove it. all other mods work really fine together with SETI and works right off the bat.

Could anyone help me figuring out the tech tree? Should I have CTT and not Techmanager? Should I use stock? All help appreciated thanks. :)

Techmanager is a requirement for CTT, so you need both. That's what Yemo has balanced SETI around, although using stock is still an option for it.

Yemo listed ADIOS and the other rebalance mods in the OP to give users alternatives to SETI, should they wish to use them.

Techmanager is a requirement for CTT, so you need both. That's what Yemo has balanced SETI around, although using stock is still an option for it.

Yemo listed ADIOS and the other rebalance mods in the OP to give users alternatives to SETI, should they wish to use them.

Ah that explains everything! Thank you for the help! So when prompted to choose a tech tree I should enable CTT?

I got a probe core telemetry science experiment working. I've updated my science tweaks mod with the code, link is in my signature.

Edit: And the more advanced features of this forum still elude me. How do I get my signature picture to float on the side instead of being stuck inline with text?

I ll take a look at the experiments, thank you!

I use tables to set all things in my signature. It's a huge pain. Feel free to copy any ideas you find in this:

Yep, table for me as well, and it has some quirks aside from the character count limitations for the signature...

Ah that explains everything! Thank you for the help! So when prompted to choose a tech tree I should enable CTT?

Thank you, I added a line to clarify that these are alternatives and not complements.

You should only select the CTT when prompted.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.