[1.3.x] SETI, Unmanned before Manned [Patreon]

Yemo

So, Remote Tech has been updated to a new version, and the seti config which adds the extra base stations does not appear to work anymore, any advice on how I can get my extra base stations back?

On 5/10/2016 at 5:12 PM, Yemo said:

I ll continue working on SETI once there is a somewhat "stable" KSP version available, in the sense that I do not have to expect a recompile of 8 mods every 2 weeks or so just for the fun of it. Until then or until CKAN allows manual override, there is always the option of a manual install, all mods within this thread work with KSP 1.1.2 as far as I can tell.

@Yemo this might help depending on how you work with CKAN. Did you know that you can set a range of KSP builds in the .version file to allow CKAN to automatically accept future changes?

Sort of like

"KSP_VERSION_MIN": {
        "MAJOR": 1,
        "MINOR": 1,
        "PATCH": 0
    }

"KSP_VERSION_MAX": {
        "PATCH": 99
    }

That allows a range through that means future "minor" patches are automatically accounted for. The only trouble is there is no exact definition of what a "minor" patch means to Squad. Sometimes it just a little fix and sometimes not. There now several historical examples of really bad things happening during minor patching.  

Even so. For the final end user. CKAN has had manual override functionality built into for quite a while now. It just that end users never read the documentation. It is bit like question that keeps being asked about SETI. "Why can't I collect science from SC9000?"

If there's just one mod they want to install. They can use the command line syntax ckan.exe install AwesomeMod=v1.2.3, obviously replacing the identifier name (AwesomeMod) and version (v1.2.3) as appropriate. Still even with the loose version control most end users will keep on with classic annoying response to mod authors everywhere: 

Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?

It so annoying that they put it in the forum rules not to do this. Mod owners should not be harassed like this. 

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

16 hours ago, gtmattz said:

So, Remote Tech has been updated to a new version, and the seti config which adds the extra base stations does not appear to work anymore, any advice on how I can get my extra base stations back?

If this is the same issue I had, then I think I have a fix.

If you rename the config file it will show up in RT's new startup dialog. As it is now, SETI's config file shares the same name as RT's, so when you upgrade RT, the file replaces the SETI one. I simply re titled the SETI one so they wouldn't overwrite each other.

6 hours ago, nerf_hurrdurr said:

If you rename the config file it will show up in RT's new startup dialog. As it is now, SETI's config file shares the same name as RT's, so when you upgrade RT, the file replaces the SETI one. I simply re titled the SETI one so they wouldn't overwrite each other.

Hey, thanks!  I will try this out as soon as I can.

-update:  IT worked!  Thanks again :D

Edited by gtmattz

On 11.5.2016 at 9:24 PM, nerf_hurrdurr said:

Weird, I was unable to get this to work. Is there any naming convention to get the config to show up in the list?

Since I am new to this mod: What exactly is the purpose of the special config? Is it just to make starting out easier (since you don't have access to manned cores early), or are there any assumptions that RemoteTech makes that aren't accurate for SETI?

SETI adds antenna to each probe. It works nice with stock behaviour. However, when you have installed RT or antenna range mod, you need MM configs written in different way that does not break intended RT or antenna range behaviour.

If you have installed RT after you have installed SETI than you will not get any probe with built in antenna.
Correct way should be to install SETI, rename mentioned config file, then install RT. Be creful though, when SETI update it might overwrite config again unless you rename it first or @Yemo rename it when update SETI.

2 hours ago, Antonio432 said:

*Intensively waiting for Seti-CTT and Rebalance to update for 1.1.2* 

Current version SETI-Rebalance & SETI-CTT works fine with KSP 1.1.2 :)

Edited by EagleXT

One page back there is already answer regarding CKAN issues.

On 10.05.2016. at 6:12 PM, Yemo said:

I also suggested a manual override function within CKAN to relieve that issue, since all the mods within this thread (ksp 1.0.5 versions) still work with ksp 1.1, 1.1.1 and 1.1.2:

Until everything is settled down from SQUAD side (fixing remaining bugs after vacation) and probably other mods that were dependency for SETI properly work on CKAN too, we all have to  mix manual and automatic installs trough CKAN.

Or just install everything by hand and don't forget to double check if some dependency mod is packed with your favorite mod but with older version. Also check that you don't have multiple versions of MM plugin. Firespitter is prone to be shiped with older version too as lot of mods depend on it.

On 5/16/2016 at 4:57 PM, kcs123 said:

SETI adds antenna to each probe. It works nice with stock behaviour. However, when you have installed RT or antenna range mod, you need MM configs written in different way that does not break intended RT or antenna range behaviour.

If you have installed RT after you have installed SETI than you will not get any probe with built in antenna.
Correct way should be to install SETI, rename mentioned config file, then install RT. Be creful though, when SETI update it might overwrite config again unless you rename it first or @Yemo rename it when update SETI.

Possibly a silly question. @kcs123 does it matter that the RT config is written on game start and placed in the save folder?

4 minutes ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

Possibly a silly question. @kcs123 does it matter that the RT config is written on game start and placed in the save folder?

I didn't checked RT for a while, didn't even notice that it writes something in save folder. Anyway, this config file should not be in conflict with anything. Beacuse MM looks only in gamedata folder and it will ignore that config file in savegame folder.

Also if, RT is installed with CKAN, it will be properly uninstalled by CKAN when you update RT or deceide not to use it anymore. You will probably still have config in savegame folder that contains info about your personal settings for RT but not MM patch configs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11.5.2016 at 10:01 AM, nobodyhasthis2 said:

@Yemo this might help depending on how you work with CKAN. Did you know that you can set a range of KSP builds in the .version file to allow CKAN to automatically accept future changes?

Sort of like

"KSP_VERSION_MIN": {
        "PATCH": 0
    }

"KSP_VERSION_MAX": {
        "PATCH": 99
    }

That allows a range through that means future "minor" patches are automatically accounted for. The only trouble is there is no exact definition of what a "minor" patch means to Squad. Sometimes it just a little fix and sometimes not. There now several historical examples of really bad things happening during minor patching.  

Even so. For the final end user. CKAN has had manual override functionality built into for quite a while now. It just that end users never read the documentation. It is bit like question that keeps being asked about SETI. "Why can't I collect science from SC9000?"

If there's just one mod they want to install. They can use the command line syntax ckan.exe install AwesomeMod=v1.2.3, obviously replacing the identifier name (AwesomeMod) and version (v1.2.3) as appropriate. Still even with the loose version control most end users will keep on with classic annoying response to mod authors everywhere: 

Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?

It so annoying that they put it in the forum rules not to do this. Mod owners should not be harassed like this. 

Hm, I ll have to experiment with that, thank you very much for the suggestion. This is really bugging me. Though at least the flurry of mini patches seems to be over.

On 11.5.2016 at 5:04 AM, gtmattz said:

On 11.5.2016 at 9:24 PM, nerf_hurrdurr said:

On 16.5.2016 at 4:23 PM, Cronos988 said:

Weird, I was unable to get this to work. Is there any naming convention to get the config to show up in the list?

Since I am new to this mod: What exactly is the purpose of the special config? Is it just to make starting out easier (since you don't have access to manned cores early), or are there any assumptions that RemoteTech makes that aren't accurate for SETI?

On 16.5.2016 at 5:57 PM, kcs123 said:

Updated, though it is necessary to remove any leftovers from a previous version from the RemoteTech folder, otherwise it might get messy.

And I would like to thank @frango9000 for his pull request and his recommendations:

SETI RemoteTech Config v1.0.9.0 (for KSP 1.1.2)

Please properly delete any previously installed SETIremoteTechConfig files

• The 2 previous files would be GameData/RemoteTech "SETI-RemoteTech.version" and "RemoteTech_Settings.cfg"
  • To use the new SETIremoteTechConfig with an existing game, go to your ingame RemoteTech settings (lower right corner), then to "Presets" and "reload" the file from SETIremoteTechConfig

Changes

• Compatibility with RemoteTech 1.7.0
  • Own SETIremoteTechConfig folder - goes directly into GameData folder
  • Color coded ground station ranges - thank you very much for the idea, @frango9000
  • Usage of new "fading out" ground station display range (open to suggestions to what limit that should be set)

On 18.5.2016 at 8:12 PM, Antonio432 said:

*Intensively waiting for Seti-CTT and Rebalance to update for 1.1.2* 

Works if installed manually. Though I need some more time to test and adjust the compatibility with Kerbalism, since that one also does a lot of rebalancing under the hood.

On 1.6.2016 at 11:59 PM, Kerbonaut257 said:

Does the seti contract pack still work? it's one of my favorite contract packs :/ why is it abandoned?

Yep works if installed manually. I updated the original post of this thread to mention that the 1.0.5 mods work with 1.1.x as well.

On 2.6.2016 at 0:02 AM, Antonio432 said:

I have a problem concernig this mod's compatibility with RealChute. At start i can edit the parachute size, but later I can't. 

Which mod are you referring to? And what other mods are installed? Have you tested with the RealChute and the mod in question without any other non-essential mods?

4 hours ago, Yemo said:

Which mod are you referring to? And what other mods are installed? Have you tested with the RealChute and the mod in question without any other non-essential mods?

I use SETI CTT, SETI Rebalance, and SETI Remotetech Config, I'm not certain which of these mods is affecting RealChute Parachute Systems, but whenever I play with SETI mods I take those 3, and I don't seem to have the issue when I'm not using them.  Specifically, when I right click on a RealChute parachute it gives me three options: Next Size, Previous size, and Toggle Info (or something like that), but the first two options disappear after I play for awhile. Kerbal Engineer Redux  parts disappear completely too.

Edited by Antonio432

54 minutes ago, Antonio432 said:

I use SETI CTT, SETI Rebalance, and SETI Remotetech Config, I'm not certain which of these mods is affecting RealChute Parachute Systems, but whenever I play with SETI mods I take those 3, and I don't seem to have the issue when I'm not using them.  Specifically, when I right click on a RealChute parachute it gives me three options: Next Size, Previous size, and Toggle Info (or something like that), but the first two options disappear after I play for awhile. Kerbal Engineer Redux  parts disappear completely too.

Though this is purely speculation, I think I'm right in saying the following:

It's definitely SETI Rebalance.

SETI CTT, as far as I know, only moves parts to different nodes in tech tree, and remotetech config definitely only adds a file with the remote tech config. But seti rebalance actually modifies parts, so I would assume that's the one giving you issues.

Hi!, I just updated the Remotech-SETI via CKAN, but I don't know now why if I try to use the flight computer, all commands respond with a "no power". 

In the Flight Computer window it's also the "no connection - no power". 

But it's strange because I am indeed in connection as all experiments and reports can be transmitted successfully. 

12 hours ago, gobolinno said:

Hi!, I just updated the Remotech-SETI via CKAN, but I don't know now why if I try to use the flight computer, all commands respond with a "no power". 

But it's strange because I am indeed in connection as all experiments and reports can be transmitted successfully. 

You should provide "..\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt" file (might be in "KSP_Data" if you use 32bit KSP). Upload it somewhere, dropbox, or pastebin, for example.

MM cache file might be helpfull too, "..\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager.ConfigCache".

There is small chance that is issue with craft build (have enough battery, but no antenna extracted or something). Screenshot of your craft might help with this.

Screenshot of GameData folder or mod export list from CKAN can help too, to find possible mod conflict.

That being said, I'm not sure that I could get relevant info from logs that could help solve problems, but it will certainly help mod developers to solve your issue.

One thing that you can try before all this, to ensure that there is no faulty install problems. Export your currently instaslled mods to *.ckan file. Uninstall all mods. Delete everything from GameData folder except "Squad" folder. That will ensure that you have "clean" CKAN install of mods. Aftrer that import mods from previously exported *.ckan file. You will not need to download mods again, they will be cached already, you willl only need to install them.

That will at least help to narrow down problem, is it install fault or issue is elsewhere.

And welcome to forum.

I thought that it could have relation with power and connection... but I can send perfectly a crew report. 

(I always use the flight computer to execute nodes, as I'm terrible with calculations in that sense), so indeed I have a manned (well... as well as Jeb can control it...) craft. 

Will try that suggestion, to see if it solves this. 

Thanks! 

On 6/7/2016 at 8:28 PM, Yemo said:

Hm, I ll have to experiment with that, thank you very much for the suggestion. This is really bugging me. Though at least the flurry of mini patches seems to be over.

Have you seen the dev notes ?

7 hours ago, SQUAD said:

The patch is currently in QA testing and serves as a first test for the new QA and experimental test procedures that Ted and Dave (TriggerAu) have redesigned based on the feedback from the 1.1 testing periods. New trackers and workflows should help to streamline the testing process and communication.

Now as you know I am not a programmer. However my spider sense is tingling. Hope you understand the pop culture reference to possible trouble ahead. 

Now as you know I love your work. However maybe we should wait a bit longer if the next patch is in QA. With a report that those QA times are coming down. Just a thought.

EDIT. Oh and it is all worth noting the mention of "feature lock". Which is very good news right now (People might disagree but I am a project manager by trade. I don't like scope creep during QA either)

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

Here:

http://imgur.com/AJMGBMh

Notice the "out of power" status with 1250 units of electrical charge. =/

[This is the CKAN list of mods I'm using]

"kind": "metapackage",
    "abstract": "A list of modules installed on the default KSP instance",
    "name": "installed-default",
    "license": "unknown",
    "version": "2016.06.08.05.04.28",
    "identifier": "installed-default",
    "spec_version": "v1.6",
    "recommends": [

"name": "RasterPropMonitor"
            "name": "KerbalEngineerRedux"
            "name": "KerbalJointReinforcement"
            "name": "MechJeb2"
            "name": "RasterPropMonitor-Core"
            "name": "ModuleManager"
            "name": "SCANsat"
            "name": "B9PartSwitch"
            "name": "DockingPortAlignmentIndicator"
            "name": "MechJebEmbeddedUniversalFree"
            "name": "TextureReplacer"
            "name": "ASETProps"
            "name": "TweakScale"
            "name": "KerbalAlarmClock"
            "name": "LaunchNumbering"
            "name": "NMSG"
            "name": "ScienceFunding"
            "name": "UnmannedBeforeManned"
            "name": "BetterBurnTime"
            "name": "CapCom"
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch"
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation"
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-Tourism"
            "name": "ContractsWindowPlus"
            "name": "CrowdSourcedScience"
            "name": "CustomBarnKit"
            "name": "CommunityResourcePack"
            "name": "LandingHeight"
            "name": "PreciseNode"
            "name": "Toolbar"
            "name": "FinalFrontier"
            "name": "ContractConfigurator"
            "name": "KIS"
            "name": "DMagicOrbitalScience"
            "name": "Trajectories"
            "name": "KAS"
            "name": "WaypointManager"
            "name": "RealChute"
            "name": "RealPlume-StockConfigs"
            "name": "StageRecovery"
            "name": "StationScience"
            "name": "TacFuelBalancer"
            "name": "VenStockRevamp"
            "name": "KSP-AVC"
            "name": "ProgressParser"
            "name": "ContractParser"
            "name": "RealPlume"
            "name": "SmokeScreen"
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech"
            "name": "RemoteTech"
            "name": "SETI-RemoteTech"
            "name": "Chatterer"
            "name": "SurfaceExperimentPack"
            "name": "DMagicScienceAnimate"
            "name": "B9"
            "name": "B9AerospaceHX"
            "name": "B9AerospaceLegacy"
            "name": "B9AnimationModules"
            "name": "B9-props"
            "name": "B9-PWings-Fork"
            "name": "FilterExtensions"
            "name": "FirespitterCore"
            "name": "GAP"
            "name": "TakeCommand"
            "name": "Ceteras-Suit-Pack"
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-ContractPack-SCANsat"
            "name": "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements"
            "name": "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR"
            "name": "StockBugFixPlus"
            "name": "EasyVesselSwitch"
            "name": "AstronikiSunflareforScatterer"
            "name": "Scatterer"

23 hours ago, Antonio432 said:

Hm, as @Kerbonaut257 suggested, I would also check SETIrebalance first, though I can not exclude the others as that seems very strange indeed. Especially the aprt about "disappear after I play for awhile" anything my mods do should affect the game from the start or not at all, since I only mod configs, not dlls and so on.

So you are saying that you load a savegame and after playing that savegame for some time those options just disappear after some time? No building upgrades in between (since RealChutes uses action groups and those depend on building upgrades, except when you also have Custom Barn Kit + SETI rebalance installed (though that functionality of SETIrebalance might need adjustment for the new CustomBarnKit...).

Due to KSP instability at the moment, I can not test for extended periods of time and I do not experience this issue when I install SETIrebalance + RealChute myself. I d need at least a clear culprit by process of elimination (eg if you can confirm that it is indeed SETIrebalance while the only other installed mod is RealChutes and module manager of course).

Oh, but the removal of the KER parts is definately done by SETIrebalance, they are thus already integrated into every command part to reduce clutter and part count while maintaining functionality.

20 hours ago, gobolinno said:

Hm, looking at your linked screenshot, you have a manned plane. Might be this issue? https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/636

Did you manually delete the remnants of the previous version of SETIremoteTechConfig? Though a change/mod of the settings file should have no impact on this at all.

I ll test it as soon as I m back at my desktop pc.

4 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

Have you seen the dev notes ?

Now as you know I am not a programmer. However my spider sense is tingling. Hope you understand the pop culture reference to possible trouble ahead. 

Now as you know I love your work. However maybe we should wait a bit longer if the next patch is in QA. With a report that those QA times are coming down. Just a thought.

EDIT. Oh and it is all worth noting the mention of "feature lock". Which is very good news right now (People might disagree but I am a project manager by trade. I don't like scope creep during QA either)

Yeah, unfortunately they also said that they will change the wheel implementation (again) for 1.2. Reminds me of 1.0.x heat and atmo...

I m working on SETIrebalance when I have time, but I m not rushing it anyway. Should be mostly independent of KSP 1.1.3 except for my ability to test with a hopefully more stable KSP version.

Edited by Yemo

It IS indeed, I JUST was testing that... one by one, and the problem originated with, apparently 2 MK2 cockpits....

one has the "remote control" thing, can't remember well, which is the MK2 of the B9 I think. 

and the other one (stock?) doesn't have it. 

The other issue was indeed that it's not (in my modded setup) what the problem says, it's not that putting on a kerbal eliminates the Flight computer for me. 

Because in the original plane, same as the picture, inside the cargo, was a satellite probe. The sattelite probe was indeed not connected to kerbal station (not antenna deployed) but it had an unmanned probe core. And I was using the flight computer thanks to THAT one. =)

As soon as I tried decoupling it, I lost the flight computer window completely. 

I *think* that the issue with the plane in the picture (another one!) was that I was using a SEP Station from one of the other mods... I *think* that part was somehow messing with the flight computer window in a sense that it makes the game show the window, but on the contrary to the probe attached to the decoupler, doesn't use any of the electrical charge of the craft. 

So, the SEP station showed me the flight computer but didn't let me use it as it had no power. 

While a probe core attached to a decoupler, shows the flight computer AND uses the power of the craft AND controls it (somehow) also. [Even with the "control from here" on the cockpit and not on the probe]. 

[PS2: Of course, the problem went "here" in this thread, because I was fulfilling a contract that requires a lot of the instruments to be used, so I removed the satellite and replaced the cargo with the SEP station and the other stuff from that MOD. But that happened right AFTER I installed SETI-Remotetech config file, so I thought it was the MOD that caused the problem and not the different craft that resulted in this problem] 

Edited by gobolinno

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.