[1.3.x] SETI, Unmanned before Manned [Patreon]

Yemo

Can anyone tell me how to get the old stock comm net system back?  I wasn't a fan of the RemoteTech mod just showing "connected" or "not connected", I liked the old little signal strength and pathway indicators for Commnet. Plus I think that mod was made before Commnet was a thing and it's kinda redundant now.  So I tried removing RemoteTech, but now I just have neither.  I don't have any kind of signal strength indicator whatsoever.  How do I get that back?

On 4/15/2017 at 8:16 AM, moeburn said:

Can anyone tell me how to get the old stock comm net system back?  I wasn't a fan of the RemoteTech mod just showing "connected" or "not connected", I liked the old little signal strength and pathway indicators for Commnet. Plus I think that mod was made before Commnet was a thing and it's kinda redundant now.  So I tried removing RemoteTech, but now I just have neither.  I don't have any kind of signal strength indicator whatsoever.  How do I get that back?

In the screen where you can see everything, example the runway and SPH and VAB. press ESC and click on settings. Once you are in the settings screen, at the very top there is a difficulty options button. Click on it and from there you can change any of the settings to your heart's content! Hope this helps

Edited by WiliestSoup

On 18.3.2017 at 5:43 PM, Lennartos said:

Hi there.

SETI rebalance causes quite a bit of issues with entrycost changes.
Some parts for some reason have costs which are floating point values.
Like for example near future parts or Extraplanitary launchpads.
(Issue: Entry cost is using int.parse and will choke on the part of it contains a floating point value)

I have been replacing prices on the parts i need, since i like the current entry cost balance that SETI gives,
But isn't there a way to truncate a float value to integer with module manager so we can fix this in the script once and for all instead?
Like Round/Floor/Ceiling? ( i couldnt find in the docs i saw, but i never modded before :))

Unfortunately I do not know how to solve this issue. If anyone has a solution, please tell me. Why any non-procedural part cost has decimal points escapes me.

On 19.3.2017 at 0:52 PM, Antonio432 said:

Hey @Yemo, could you include Procedural parts configs similar to Seti-CTT into Ubm? Those configs enabled a Procedural parts only progression but are only avaible in Seti-CTT. Anyway, they still work so I only have to move them into the Ubm folder.

Long planned, unfortunately rl intervened. Will be done in the next patch.

On 10.4.2017 at 9:40 AM, garwel said:

What is the reasoning, in UbM, for putting Stayputnik at the second-level node, after the more advanced OCTO? I would think that you should start with this most basic probe core with no real controls, for both historical and gameplay reasons, and then "learn" to actually steer the rocket. Besides, this is how it works at ETT and it feels right.

1. UbM is intended to be used with at least somewhat balanced part stats, aka SETIrebalance.

2. I just liked the Stayputnik and did not whant to make it obsolete after 2 flights. There is a detachable and thus more historical Stayputnik provided by SXT, which I intended to come first. But SXT is just so big, that it was too much effort to adjust all the parts when only a few really improved functional variety.

On 11.4.2017 at 8:03 PM, randomone said:

Are you supposed to be still using the tier 1 R&D facility by the time you do a manned min landing? I'm still off from being able to afford it by $500,000 and can't do surface samples without it. I'm using part research purchasing and 60% contract settings.

Tier 1 R&D provides enough parts for manned missions to minmus and unmanned missions to at least Duna and Eve, thus it should imho fit the "hard" settings.

On SETI/UbM dev:

RL had me occupied more and longer than usual at the start of the year.

I ll try to fix the worst incompatibilities and ckan recommendations starting this weekend and then 1.2.9 will likely come around.

Based on feedback, for 1.2.9 I ll consider putting planes earlier as SETIctt did.

• 2 weeks later...

The first batch of updates/compatibility fixes.

Next on the list is correcting SETIrebalance ckan mod recommendations and extending UbM configs, especially for procedural parts.

SETI Rebalance v1.2.2.2 (for KSP 1.2.x )

Fixed TAC-LS converters, thank you very much @SpacedInvader

Aero parts entry costs = 1

SETI ProbeParts v1.2.2.1 (for KSP 1.2.x)

Fixed VenStockRevamp compatibility for mini RCS parts

SETI Greenhouse v1.2.2.0 (for KSP 1.2.x)

Fixed TAC-LS converters, thank you very much @SpacedInvader

Removed default included Nutrients

Increased resource storage space

Removed USI-LS configs

• Since I can not keep track of USI anymore
  • Take a look at PSA Greenhouse, it uses the same zzz model with USI configs

22 hours ago, Yemo said:

• Take a look at PSA Greenhouse, it uses the same zzz model with USI configs

Just a note that it looks like the PSA Greenhouse is in a dev hold, if not abandoned, and hasn't been updated with the latest USI configs.

Thanks to @taniwha, entryCosts with non integer values due to SETIrebalance MM patches are now truncated and do not make the part disappear anymore. This should fix the related compatibility issues.

While fumbling around with the entryCosts again, I also implemented a more detailed differentiation between parts having entryCost = 1 (essentially those that can be replaced by procedural parts) and those calculated based on part costs.

I ve also updated the ckan recommendations, thank you very much for the feedback @MatBailie and sorry for the long wait.

UbM update is next, while looking through it I found some more stuff to update, eg the new TACLS 3.75m converter positions.

SETI Rebalance v1.2.2.3 (for KSP 1.2.x )

Adjusted/updated recommendations/suggestions, thank you very much @MatBailie

Fixed entryCosts compatibility issues, thank you very much @taniwha

Extended definitions for entryCost = 1

On 2.5.2017 at 5:51 PM, Mandella said:

Just a note that it looks like the PSA Greenhouse is in a dev hold, if not abandoned, and hasn't been updated with the latest USI configs.

Whoops, well, no idea then about a 1:1 inline greenhouse for USI.

Edited by Yemo

And the next rounds of updates. UbM, another SETIrebalance one because incompatibilities just keep popping up, as well as SETIprobeControlEnabler adjustments and UnmannedBeforeMannedChallenge incompatibility fixes.

Due to the recent CustomBarnKit update, I might be able to resurrect my config from long ago, which introduces more upgrade levels for certain buildings.

While there are some problems with the visuals, it seems to work fine functionally.

I ll test it some more and perhaps I ll publish a kind of mission report with complete instructions for Install, Settings, House Rules, pictures etc.

As far as it goes at the moment, I m very excited about it. With the specific settings I m testing it with, it provides a really nice feel and challenge to the early career. Especially incentives to make mission efficient designs and work under tech restrictions, instead of strapping everything possible on it and compensating with lots of boosters... Only thing missing is AnomalySurvey contracts, since they are not updated to 1.2.2.

Unmanned before Manned v1.2.2.1 (for KSP 1.2.x)

Initial Procedural Parts mod support, please report bugs in the SETI/UbM forum thread

Compatibility fixes for Near Future Spacecraft, TAC-LS, K2pod

Specialized Command tech node costs higher at 450

Spaceplane parts rearranged

SETI Rebalance v1.2.2.4 (for KSP 1.2.x )

Another update of recommendations/suggestions

• Eg mods for which a continued version exists like K2pod
  • Removed some of the visual mods, only real plume and planetshine left
  • Just can not keep track of their compatibilities, I simply install SVE and SVT in addition

Adjustments

• US Science Bay mass reduced to 20kg, batteries included
  • K2pod and some NFSpacecraft costs adjusted
  • Some newer VenStockRevamp parts adjusted

SETI ProbeControlEnabler v1.2.2.1 (for RemoteTech 1.8.3+)

Adjusted for RT 1.8.3+, internal omni antennas and the flight computer are still working from now on

Also updated UnmannedBeforeMannedChallenge (fixing reaction wheel position patches), it is now also findable when searching for "SETI" in ckan.

Edited by Yemo

The result of a lot of work:

Feel free to try it out, provide feedback, etc.:

02.1 18km Manned Altitude mission, 14500funds, ~5tons, 23 parts: Jet engines are below the wings, in hindsight the tail is too exposed for landing on a dirt runway, and it needs more roll control).

uNJfq65h.png

03.0 Orbit Kerbin, 4800 funds, 6tons, 17parts, 3200dV + ~700dV from monoprop: First artificial satellite, no magic reaction wheels (because at this tech level you do not have any).

p3n2duVh.png

o9YaF1rh.png

WlHfrTUh.png

Edited by Yemo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I would like to start a new career with seti contracts and unmanned before manned and I wonder wich contractpacks work togethe with seti and if strategia would cause any trouble.

This are my mods:

Spoiler

- xscience

- coherrent contracts

- contract configurator

- kerbin space station

- seti

- tourism+

- mechjeb

- strategia

- testflight

- unmanned before manned

I was looking for a different playthrough and choose this setup, now I don't know about seti and strategia and maybe someone arround here could recommend anything else.

I want to play with stock parts but with different career settings this is why I choose seti, unmanned before manned, strategia and the contract packs. I was also thinking about a bigger kerbin system, but wouldn't know wich.

cheers

29 minutes ago, maculator said:

Hi I would like to start a new career with seti contracts and unmanned before manned and I wonder wich contractpacks work togethe with seti and if strategia would cause any trouble.

This are my mods:

Reveal hidden contents

- xscience

- coherrent contracts

- contract configurator

- kerbin space station

- seti

- tourism+

- mechjeb

- strategia

- testflight

- unmanned before manned

I was looking for a different playthrough and choose this setup, now I don't know about seti and strategia and maybe someone arround here could recommend anything else.

I want to play with stock parts but with different career settings this is why I choose seti, unmanned before manned, strategia and the contract packs. I was also thinking about a bigger kerbin system, but wouldn't know wich.

cheers

Hey,

last time I tried, strategia did not cause any technical issues, not sure about gameplay balance as I rarely use that facility anyway.

I m not too familiar with all the contract packs at the moment. But as a general advice, SETIcontracts replaces the standard progression from first flight to planet flyby and landings. So any contract pack which does not do that would work fine. Anomaly Surveyor is great, but not updated at the moment. Field Research is good as a fall back, if you need some more money or an incentive to do some less science optimized biome hops. Tourism is also a fall back money generator with roleplay potential. Kerbin Space Station is another great mod, but I usually play with Station Science installed, so I m not sure how good it is with stock parts only. That is my standard package. But as I said, any contract pack which does not provide general progression contracts should work fine.

About the bigger kerbin system, I have little experience with rescales and SETIcontracts, though I can't see any reason why they should not work. Also SETIcontracts does not work for Galileo at the moment. OuterPlanetsMod works fine, though there are no contracts for it in SETIcontracts.

I would also recommend some other mods, like waypoint manager, especially for contracts. You can find a full list of mod recommendations and suggestions under the SETIrebalance download, there are a lot, but it might be worth it going through them for inspiration.

2 hours ago, Yemo said:

Anomaly Surveyor is great, but not updated at the moment.

FWIW, I've been running Anomaly Surveyor on my latest SETI career mode playthrough, and have gotten as far as the Minmus monolith and it all seems to work fine still.

idk if its something in this mod or if its remote tech... but i have a problem, my probes wont launch. basically, the engineer report says theres no antenna attached even when there is.

btw... can someone give me a quick how-to on setting spoilers?

btbtw... i cant find the forums thread for remote tech or idve started there and github is not "me-friendly"

Edited by silbrulf

16 hours ago, silbrulf said:

btw... can someone give me a quick how-to on setting spoilers?

btbtw... i cant find the forums thread for remote tech or idve started there and github is not "me-friendly"

For spoilers just click on "eye" button next to smile button, bellow font combobox.

As for RT thread, this is most recent one:

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd let you know, that even though SETI probe parts are working in KSP 1.3, and listed as such in CKAN they are reporting a Mini-AVC error version on boot.  I thought you might want to fix that in your next pass of 1.3 fixes.

On 31.5.2017 at 1:47 PM, Ruedii said:

Just thought I'd let you know, that even though SETI probe parts are working in KSP 1.3, and listed as such in CKAN they are reporting a Mini-AVC error version on boot.  I thought you might want to fix that in your next pass of 1.3 fixes.

Whoops, will check it out for 1.3. Thank you!

23 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Yemo Is the door open for an update to the greenhouse's USI config? I can handle that. :) 

Due to USI changes and my own schedule over the last months, I can not support it anymore myself.

But if you are interested in writing configs for that and test them, I d be happy to include/paste them in the current greenhouse configs as was the case with older versions of SETIgreenhouse.

Since it seems that nothing is broken with TAC life support and many mods still need updates, there is no rush for a 1.3 release from my side.

I installed ProbeControlEnabler through CKAN but I don't understand how it works

.It doesn't step in automatically after connection is lost, I can't find an option in the Flight Computer or Settings tab, or on the Command Module. Am I missing something?

Edited by Dutchbook

On 4.6.2017 at 0:59 AM, Dutchbook said:

I installed ProbeControlEnabler through CKAN but I don't understand how it works

.It doesn't step in automatically after connection is lost, I can't find an option in the Flight Computer or Settings tab, or on the Command Module. Am I missing something?

It does not step in, it simply removes/changes the remote tech part module which prevents you from controlling a probe when you do not have an active connection. It does this when the parts are loaded at game start.

Is there a way to get the Long/Lat for the targets on a given body given by a contract?   I see the little "land here" icon on the Mun for instance, but I can't land close enough and at this point in my career there isn't rover parts...

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Bodo said:

Is there a way to get the Long/Lat for the targets on a given body given by a contract?   I see the little "land here" icon on the Mun for instance, but I can't land close enough and at this point in my career there isn't rover parts...

Thanks!

Not sure, it is quite a while since I last modded contracts. People in the contract configurator thread might have more knowledge about that.

1 hour ago, SiCaRiO31 said:

Finally free from my finals! :D, since most of my mods since January dont work anymore, i need to ask :P : I want to play UBM challenge in my new career mode, does it work with 1.3 ?

I have not checked it so far. I have not seen anything in the patch nodes breaking tech tree stuff, but since this is the first patch adressing localization, this is unchartered patching ground for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2017 at 9:48 PM, Yemo said:

I have not checked it so far. I have not seen anything in the patch nodes breaking tech tree stuff, but since this is the first patch adressing localization, this is unchartered patching ground for me.

Just a quick line to say thank you very much for your work on this mod; I want to let you know that this mod is the only reason I'm staying on 1.2.2, as it makes career mode make sense.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.