[1.3.x] SETI, Unmanned before Manned [Patreon]

Yemo

13 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I'm going to stay on 1.4.1 for a bit, play a little with all the mods that have been updated. UBM Extended should still work for 1.4.2 if ModuleManager does.

Yeah I would have stayed on 1.4.1 too but I was taken by surprise by steam :(

Edited by Schmelge

16 minutes ago, DracoSilverpath said:

Some, I loaded up 1.4.2 with my current mods setup though, and so far everything seems to be working still, so there's that at least!!

Yeah I havn't had any problems so far.

It's just all tjose annoying popups about incompatible mods but I can live with that

Just a suggestion, but these parts should really be in the first few tiers of the tech tree for UBM:

SR_Payload_01
SR_Payload_02
SR_Payload_03
SR_Payload_04

They are the 4 experiments for USI sounding rockets and have little use beyond those first few flights. 

1 hour ago, fwdixon said:

Just a suggestion, but these parts should really be in the first few tiers of the tech tree for UBM:

SR_Payload_01
SR_Payload_02
SR_Payload_03
SR_Payload_04

They are the 4 experiments for USI sounding rockets and have little use beyond those first few flights. 

I think you're right. For some reason, they were all in the start node for me in my last career, but now they are scattered through the tree in unexpected places. Now that I think of it, that must have been the 1.4 career I made before I decided to take on updating UBM.

The next version of UBM Extended will have this fixed.

On 4/1/2018 at 6:26 PM, fwdixon said:

I also put probeStackSphere (Stayputnik) back in the start node, and moved the octo to the 1st rocketry node. Seemed to fit a bit better with the beginning tech availability in my mind.

I think it was done the other way around because the Stayputnik doesn't have a top node, so you need fairings to make anything look good. I'll consider it.

Edited by theonegalen

11 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I think it was done the other way around because the Stayputnik doesn't have a top node, so you need fairings to make anything look good. I'll consider it.

That's exactly why Yemo did it that way, as with Procedurals, you could cover the Octo with a nose cone for aero stability :)

8 hours ago, RobertJPowell said:

That's exactly why Yemo did it that way, as with Procedurals, you could cover the Octo with a nose cone for aero stability :)

Or just leave them both in the start node. I mentioned it mainly because I couldn't find it on the UPM/UPM Ext. tree anywhere and so I added it in. I may have just missed it though.

2 hours ago, fwdixon said:

Or just leave them both in the start node. I mentioned it mainly because I couldn't find it on the UPM/UPM Ext. tree anywhere and so I added it in. I may have just missed it though.

If I move it, it will just be to a tech level commensurate with when fairings are first available. I'll probably also remove the SAS from the octo and make it upgradable to have SAS when you unlock other probe cores.

So, regarding the other things that Yemo's various SETI mods did, and what I plan to do with them, we have:

• SETI Rebalance
    • This does so much. I don't know what kind of information Yemo used to balance everything, but it touches nearly every stock part in the game, and many mod parts besides.
    • I use Science Revisited Revisited, recommend that for science rebalance. 
    • Recommend MandatoryRCS and it's parts pack (coming soon to UBM Extended) for reaction wheel rebalance.
  • SETI Contracts
  • SETI CareerChallenge
    • All this did was set the science to 70%, which you can now do in the stock settings menu. Do that instead.
  • SETI ProbeParts
    • I'll test this one soon. Hopefully it won't take too much, but it is annoying that it adds it's own Hydrogen and Oxygen resources beyond those included in CRP. Might want to fix that.
  • SETI PartOverhauls
    • Already supported by UBM Extended
  • SETI Greenhouse
    • Has anyone tried this one? I don't use TAC LS so it seems that this is a little more complex than I thought at first.
  • SETI Remote Tech Config
    • I don't see anything that would be obviously broken. Anyone tried it with updated RT?
  • SETI ProbeControlEnabler
    • seems pretty simple. Anyone tried it with updated RT?
  • SETI CustomBarnKit
    • Definitely will be making my own. Now that we have parachutes, safe EVA from a dying airplane should be available.
      • It is now possible to set Action Groups always available in stock settings, so I probably won't keep that going in my config.
      • All the fiddly bits about the extra levels to the KSC buildings are interesting; who played with them and loved them? (I never used it)

Bolded headings are the ones I think I'm most interested in, and the ones that look like they're going to be the biggest pains in the butt.

27 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

If I move it, it will just be to a tech level commensurate with when fairings are first available. I'll probably also remove the SAS from the octo and make it upgradable to have SAS when you unlock other probe cores.

Oooooo, me likey! ( I keep forgetting parts can be "upgraded" because so few of the parts I use have upgrades for them).

So, regarding the other things that Yemo's various SETI mods did, and what I plan to do with them, we have:

• SETI Rebalance
    • This does so much. I don't know what kind of information Yemo used to balance everything, but it touches nearly every stock part in the game, and many mod parts besides.
    • I use Science Revisited Revisited, recommend that for science rebalance. 
    • Recommend MandatoryRCS and it's parts pack (coming soon to UBM Extended) for reaction wheel rebalance.
  • SETI Contracts

I am using the SETI contract pack in my current career game on 1.4.2 without issue.

• SETI Remote Tech Config
    • I don't see anything that would be obviously broken. Anyone tried it with updated RT?
  • SETI ProbeControlEnabler
    • seems pretty simple. Anyone tried it with updated RT?

I use both with the current RT release and 1.4.2 without issue.

I can look at the SETI probe parts as well, I currently am using the small stack core for most of my unmanned launchers and it is working fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 2:35 PM, theonegalen said:

SETI ProbeParts

• I'll test this one soon. Hopefully it won't take too much, but it is annoying that it adds it's own Hydrogen and Oxygen resources beyond those included in CRP. Might want to fix that.

I've tested this one on 1.4.2, and something is definitely wrong with the RCS.  They are blindingly bright, and fire in the wrong direction, but thrust in the right direction.  In the picture below, the graphic should be thrusting down, but if this were in space, it would push in the right direction, even though the graphic goes in the wrong direction.

Below is the RV-15 RCS Thruster Block, but they all act this way.

uc?export=view&id=1yrZj7HMNMaiyccPyJ5Ww9

Edited by Critter79606

20 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

I've tested this one on 1.4.2, and something is definitely wrong with the RCS.  They are blindingly bright, and fire in the wrong direction, but thrust in the right direction.  In the picture below, the graphic should be thrusting down, but if this were in space, it would push in the right direction, even though the graphic goes in the wrong direction.

Below is the RV-15 RCS Thruster Block, but they all act this way.

uc?export=view&id=1yrZj7HMNMaiyccPyJ5Ww9

That doesn't surprise me; all the effects code was changed from 1.3.x to 1.4.x. That shouldn't be too hard to fix, I hope. Thanks for the info!

12 hours ago, theonegalen said:

That doesn't surprise me; all the effects code was changed from 1.3.x to 1.4.x. That shouldn't be too hard to fix, I hope. Thanks for the info!

Will you post the fix here (assuming it's a simple edit of setMiniRCS.cfg)?
I've only managed to exacerbate the problem myself, so not my RV-15s look like little shining stars 24/7. ^_^

21 hours ago, theonegalen said:

@theonegalen Looks like the SETI ones aren't the only ones affected.  I wanted to make sure it wasn't another mod interfering with it so I decided to do some testing this weekend.  I found some are working correctly (graphics and direction) and others are not. 

I'm saving this rig, so if you need me to drop on some test files on my system before a release, just let me know.

Left to Right (* means graphics and direction issues)

KWRocketry - mk1 rcs quad
KWRocketry - mk1-45 rcs quad
NearFuturePropulsion - HeFt-4 Magnetoplasmadynamic rcs block
KerbalReusabilityExpansion - Advanced vernier thruster medium
*B9_Aerospace - R12 RCS Thruster Block
*B9_Aerospace - R5 RCS Thruster Block
NearFutureLaunchVehicles - RQ-5x4 Heavy RCS Block
Squad - RV-105 RCS Thruster Block
NearFutureSpacecraft - RV-105x5 RCS Thruster Block
NearFutureSpacecraft - RX-55 Advanced RCS Block
*UmbraSpaceIndustries - AES RCS Block
NearFutureLaunchVehicles - RQ-5A Aerodynamic Heavy RCS Block
*RealScaleBoosters - Saturn S-IVB Auxiliary Propulsion System
SpaceY-Lifters - SpaceY "Super Dibamus" RCS/OMS Thrust Block
SpaceY-Lifters - SpaceY RCS-5x7 Thruster Block
*SETIprobeParts - RV-15 RCS Thruster Block
*SETIprobeParts - Inline mini rcs

I'm going to let the other devs know for the ones that are broke.

uc?export=view&id=1CLPFyWETVHIIZspFBGRbi

13 hours ago, BobbyFactor said:

Will you post the fix here (assuming it's a simple edit of setMiniRCS.cfg)?
I've only managed to exacerbate the problem myself, so not my RV-15s look like little shining stars 24/7. ^_^

Thanks. I'll post it here and eventually it'll be on Spacedock as well. I'll probably call it SETI Extension or something of that nature. I probably won't be able to do a lot until I finish my finals in two weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

As for custom barn kit levels, I really liked the granularity that gave me in upgrades as one big upgrade is annoying to build but one or two smaller ones is a lot better, especially with Kerbal Construction Time (when I tweak build times of course).

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but some bugs I've found:

The retro inline cockpit has an impact speed of 4 m/s. This is laughably low, makes landings a pain (well, water landings) and seems to be a typo. I've fixed it with a MM patch:

@PART[RetroMk1inline]{
	crashTolerance = #$@PART[Mark2Cockpit]/crashTolerance$
}

The retro inline cockpit ALSO seems to have issues with crew transfers. I can transfer out but not in. This is with CLS and Ship Manifest, though seems to persist even with the relevant settings off. I'm not sure what's causing this but I can experiment more if needed.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

Any update on SETI probe parts for at least KSP v1.4.3 would be appreciated....I'm new to the game, but actually really like the probe part mod, and the little RCS wheels. I wish they worked properly....

Yemo hasn't been around since September apparently, so I wouldn't expect any reply regarding updates. Unless they are just waiting for 1.4.x to settle down before doing updates.

Just now, strudo76 said:

Yemo hasn't been around since September apparently, so I wouldn't expect any reply regarding updates. Unless they are just waiting for 1.4.x to settle down before doing updates.

Ok.....thanks for the reply, m8! It seems to be on CKAN.....so I guess it's ok? lol?

Haven't tried it in KSP 1.4.4. yet, but it still should work if you follow guides how to change few files for latest version of module manager. @theonegalen have made few additional config files for SETI to adress some other incopatibility issues, so you might also want to install those on top of SETI after proposed changes.

• 2 months later...

It’s been more than a year since I played ksp. Can’t play again without all those great seti career mods. :)I was wondering if anyone tried the mod with 1.4.x.

It’s sad that Yemo isn’t  around and doesn’t react on pm. 

Are there other modpacks or alternatives that are as huge as seti and work with a current Version?

Or can someone share his modpack? For a current version play through I only fund this in the net. 

https://kerbalx.com/mod_packs/975

I hope yemo comes back. I check every week since months for his return.:(

Edited by Spikos

I use Unmanned Before Manned on 1.4.x. Download my UBM Extended mod and install it alongside the 1.3.1 version of UBM to have it work with 1.4.x. Unfortunately, because the license of the mod prevents me from actually changing and redistributing any of the UBM files that actually throw errors. Just know that any MM errors shouldn't actually be a problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.