[1.3.x] SETI, Unmanned before Manned [Patreon]

Yemo

1 minute ago, theonegalen said:

I use Unmanned Before Manned on 1.4.x. Download my UBM Extended mod and install it alongside the 1.3.1 version of UBM to have it work with 1.4.x. Unfortunately, because the license of the mod prevents me from actually changing and redistributing any of the UBM files that actually throw errors. Just know that any MM errors shouldn't actually be a problem.

Awesome thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

Can someone point me to the source code for this?

There are errors that need fixing.

The mod is licensed All Rights Reserved. It is illegal to modify or distribute in any way beyond what the original author has done.

Edited by theonegalen

5 hours ago, theonegalen said:

The mod is licensed All Rights Reserved. It is illegal to modify or distribute in any way beyond what the original author has done.

Well, seeing as how he's not maintaining it any longer, that's about the dumbest thing.  It's a collection of config files. and other licensed works.  Hell, even the KSP-AVC information is so outdated it the forum page is wrong.

Illegal to distribute maybe, but I'll do what I please on my system, thank you kindly.

For everyone else, you can solve some errors by eliminating any :FOR[SETI*] statements in the respective @PART configs.

45 minutes ago, TranceaddicT said:

Well, seeing as how he's not maintaining it any longer, that's about the dumbest thing.  It's a collection of config files. and other licensed works.  Hell, even the KSP-AVC information is so outdated it the forum page is wrong.

I also have a mod that adds onto the existing release to add mod parts into the tech tree, as well as parts introduced with 1.4.x and Making History. I haven't updated it in a bit because of Real Life, but it is there for you to use and change if you wish.

Removing :FOR nodes is often a good idea.

The fact that Yemo left without giving anyone permission to update and maintain the mod is a source of frustration for myself, as well.

Just now, theonegalen said:

I also have a mod that adds onto the existing release to add mod parts into the tech tree, as well as parts introduced with 1.4.x and Making History. I haven't updated it in a bit because of Real Life, but it is there for you to use and change if you wish.

Yeah, I saw that; it looks good.  Not where I'm at right now, but I'll def try it out on a test install.  I get the IRL thing, but it's no excuse to drop something you're an integral part of for over a month, much less a year.

I addressed these same issues in December 2017; hoped something had changed. 

Guess I'm gonna have to save my changes to my 7anceaddic7 GitHub account for future use in case I need to do another clean install.

Pro-Tip: implement ':FOR' directive in end-user configs.

Instruction how to change config files to fix errors due to MM changes are given in december. Everyone can adjust files for himself and use it, but distributing changed files are forbiden due to ARR licence. Violating ARR licence, no matter how stupid it sounds would do more harm than good on the long run.

Until Yemo resond on forum or patreon page, only thing possible to do is provide "how to" instructions to made adjustments and install extended config files on top of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on mod update and compability? It doesn't work with 1.5 (or my modset), all probe cores are far in the tech tree (CTT)...

If not, then can anyone point me to some documentation or tutorial on how to modify tech tree? Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 2:12 PM, Forien said:

If not, then can anyone point me to some documentation or tutorial on how to modify tech tree? Cheers!

I would say it's because they reworked the probe cores and the MK1 capsule, so the mod doesn't find them anymore to move them through the tech tree.

Can any modder back this and help us ? ;)

Other than this, great job with this mod !

Edit :

I was right ! I looked into the GameData folder, and here is how it goes :
The Squad and SquadExpansion folders have the parts. Especially in Squad/Parts you'll see some parts have _v2 appended. In these folders you can find the new part names.

Go to UnmannedBeforeManned folder. Open the config files. Find the references to the old parts (without _v2), replace it with the reference to the new parts (with _v2) and here it seems to work.

I placed the pods of MH with the corresponding commands modules (kv1 with mk1pod, etc.)

I haven't played through yet. But the tech tree displays well.

Edited by Challyss

I installed the SETI-MetaModPack from CKAN. The mods that are part of it link here through redirects and I can't seem to find threads dedicated to them separately.
SETI-Rebalance and SETI-ProbeParts produce a lot of errors on loading for me. I tried downgrading to 1.3.1 but still get those errors on parsing CFGs.

What setup would be native for the MetaModPack? What else other than game version I have to downgrade in order to make it work as intended?

Is this a known issue or should I remove all other mods and check how these two act on their own as well as gather logs?

Edited by Erquint

7 hours ago, Erquint said:

I installed the SETI-MetaModPack from CKAN. The mods that are part of it link here through redirects and I can't seem to find threads dedicated to them separately.
SETI-Rebalance and SETI-ProbeParts produce a lot of errors on loading for me. I tried downgrading to 1.3.1 but still get those errors on parsing CFGs.

What setup would be native for the MetaModPack? What else other than game version I have to downgrade in order to make it work as intended?

Is this a known issue or should I remove all other mods and check how these two act on their own as well as gather logs?

Given how long Yemo has been gone and the nature of the licensing for this mod so that nobody can officially support it, I wouldn't put my trust in its easy functionality anymore.  It's a real shame especially given he made a big deal about needing patreon money to continue to support this, and he still is getting patreon money yet hasn't been on the forums for over a year.

6 hours ago, Erquint said:

The ModuleManager errors are a known issue that come from the original SETI configs using a lot of :FOR statements that they really shouldn't be. These errors shouldn't keep the mod from working as advertised, although the changes to the part cfgs in 1.5.x will necessitate either a new mod, or a new version of my UBM Extended mod.

Has it never not thrown errors, then? Was it like that since the very start? That's confusing.

Also quite confusing is the titling. I've seen your UBME on the forum but not on CKAN.
Does your UBME affect the whole SETI-MMP, including SETI-R and SETI-PP, not only SETI-UBM?

30 minutes ago, Erquint said:

Has it never not thrown errors, then? Was it like that since the very start? That's confusing.

Also quite confusing is the titling. I've seen your UBME on the forum but not on CKAN.
Does your UBME affect the whole SETI-MMP, including SETI-R and SETI-PP, not only SETI-UBM?

UBME is currently only for UBM. The errors were revealed after MM was updated to display errors when configs specified too many passes (usually using :FOR alongside :BEFORE or :AFTER). The configs had always been in error, but the errors were only displayed on startup after v. 2.8.1 of Module Manager, IIRC.

I read through the last page on this.. and I have a question.

Under 1.5.1 , when I install the UBM, there probe cores are not showing up in the 1st tech node. [Based on the image on SpaceDock, etc]  is there a fix that I can do?  Hard to launch unmanned .. if I have to put a man in a capsule and then fling a probe. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 9:07 PM, theonegalen said:

The fact that Yemo left without giving anyone permission to update and maintain the mod is a source of frustration for myself, as well.

Don't you remember? You told me that he phoned you especially and gave you permission to continue his work and redistribute as you see fit ;) 

On 11/30/2018 at 6:55 AM, Unturned_Fighter said:

As already pointed out in this post, it's illegal to re-distribute it unless you're given written consent by the original author.

But what if the author of the mod is dead or left his work forever. Is it fair to let the mod die, too? I mean I love Yemos work and it made my KSP experience so much better, but he is gone since a long time now. When you put so much time and love in a project like this, it is very rare that you just disappear without any comment. If I would know him in real life I would wonder if he is still alive.

The rules are clear for mods but I am not sure if the creators of those rules ever thought about a situation like this.

Edited by Spikos

1 hour ago, Spikos said:

But what if the author of the mod is dead or left his work forever. Is it fair to let the mod die, too? I mean I love Yemos work and it made my KSP experience so much better, but he is gone since a long time now. When you put so much time and love in a project like this, it is very rare that you just disappear without any comment. If I would know him in real life I would wonder if he is still alive.

The rules are clear for mods but I am not share if the creators of those rules ever thought about a situation like this.

I know your heart is in the right place but yea, if it was the mod author's wishes, that doesn't change even if they pass on.  While it isn't an exact comparison, since mods are not for profit ventures generally, would it be fair to let say someone start distributing an author's copyrighted book after they pass, potentially taking income from their family?  Heck, Yemo stated years ago he would stop working on this mod if ppl didn't contribute to patreon.  He is still making $6/mo for a mod he hasn't even checked up on for over a year.

And yea Yemo was pretty clear and knew what he was doing when he made his mod ARR.  

Now that still doesn't stop someone from re-created a mod similar to this from the ground up.

18 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

While it isn't an exact comparison, since mods are not for profit ventures generally, would it be fair to let say someone start distributing an author's copyrighted book after they pass, potentially taking income from their family? 

Personally, I'd be more for that...  (Copyrights are designed to expire, after all - and their family doesn't have the right to live indefinitely off of their work any more than I have the right to live indefinitely off of my parent's work in my opininon.)  Bad comparison, precisely because it introduces moral ambiguity to a situation where there is no legal ambiguity.

Other mod authors who were working under ARR have been known to come back and switch licenses on their mods either as they left or after they otherwise left.  Yemo hasn't - therefore the mod remains under the restrictions of the original license.

Some parts of this mod might be reviable if someone were to write *another* mod which is a set of patches for this mod, in which case you'd need install both mods.  (And note that you'd still have to grab this mod from it's original location - they couldn't bundle it with.)  That's been done on other mods in this situation.  But that can't be done for everything, and would require someone willing to do the work.  The other option is for someone to contact him and get him to either transfer the license or to change the license.

11 hours ago, Spikos said:

The rules are clear for mods but I am not share if the creators of those rules ever thought about a situation like this.

It's doubtful the rule creators thought of a mod creator dying. I'm not sure what would happen in terms of copyright law in a situation like this, but in general copyright in the U.S. is valid for the lifetime of the author plus 75 years, I believe. There could be an exception, and in this case specifically I would imagine that somebody would be allowed to pick it up.

I would hope he simply got burned out without comment, but I'm not ruling out any possibilities here.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.