[1.3.x] SETI, Unmanned before Manned [Patreon]

Yemo

On 12/23/2015 at 5:43 PM, kcs123 said:

@nobodyhasthis2, if you have performed several updates, installs/uninstalls trough CKAN, then it is good idea to reinstall everything.

Export .ckan file with your currently installed mod then deinstall everything trough CKAN. After that, make sure that all folders are wiped out, except SQUAD of, courrse. Then you can install your favorites trough previously created .ckan file.

I got SETI installed trough CKAN, I didn't have any issue with hybridboosters and MM. Though, I still haven't checked career mod if works properly with latest updates of contract configurator. I might ended with only SETIctt and contracts from other packs instead. Might not be balanced as expected, but I probably could not play much before KSP 1.1. release.

Yes I thought that was the solution. I was just so surprised to see an error like that. After a bit of an extensive search I found the bug was down to a dodgy update in another mod. It was breaking module manager just before SETI was loaded. Not to mention messing up the game once fully loaded. As always people are quick to blame CKAN but it was a case of garbage in, garbage out. I have avoided the affected mod and everything appears to be working like a charm.

I am still going to be playing 1.0.4 for the foreseeable future. There is just not enough support for the new version to make it worthwhile for me. There some essential contract packs and parts missing that just kill it for me. Plus a lot of the new features in 1.0.5 are already in the game thanks to mods.     

So, after taking one month time-out, I m back at KSP.

First I'd like to thank everyone for the support, offers of help and especially kcs123 for providing mod support.

Seeing the unnecessary destruction from the forum migration (first post of this thread),
it seems I again have to put effort into just achieving functionality again,
without any improvements to the actual mod.

Since this is not the first time something like that "happened" (far from it),
I m asking for the support of those who have used and/or are using this mod.

Thus a simple Patreon page/account has been set up for anyone willing to contribute
and thus share not only the benefits, but also the burden of continued maintenance/development,
in addition to all the feedback and code/texture/suggestion contributions made in this thread.

Modding is a lot of work, especially when the goal is to rebalance a system which is
composed of many parts from different creators (squad, part modders, gameplay modders, etc.),
and the base (squad parts) is lacking balance in the first place while constantly shifting around...

Patreon allows everyone (US & rest of the world as myself) to contribute and recieve,
with about 90% of the pledged amount actually reaching the destination
(eg by comparison patreon itself takes only 5%, while steam takes 30% and paypal donate takes 33%).

edit: Paypal donate takes 2.9% + 0.30$, which is 33% for 1$.

More detailed information are provided on the linked patreon page:

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2686968&ty=h&u=2686968

These are the plans for what your contributions will make possible.

1. Short term plans:
a ) Functional Mod maintenance (eg adjusting to the new CommunityTechTree)
b ) Information maintenance (Cleaning up the forum post after the destruction by forum migration)
c ) Additions to the mod support

2. Mid term plans (planned for KSP 1.1):
a ) Complete "under the hood" rewrite of the tech tree to reduce future maintenance and improve gameplay
b ) Migration to Github to improve community development

3. Long term plan (incremental completion)
Reestablishment of a modular but comprehensive balance mod even beyond the scope of the KSP 0.90 SETI BalanceMod

As a first step I'm restoring at least basic functionality of the first post as well as fixing the procedural part textures issue
with the SETI-BalanceMod.

patreon.png

Modding is a lot of work, if you are interested in the continued maintenance and development of the SETI mods,
please consider supporting them via patreon.

SETI BalanceMod v0.9.5.2 (for KSP 1.0.5)

Please support continued SETI maintenance & development via Patreon

Fixes

• Procedural Parts texture path fixed

File Structure Changes

• SETI-RemoteTechConfig folder removed, is distributed separately

Edited by Yemo

Hey guys,

i have a big problem with this part of Seti mod: SETI BalanceMod v0.9.5.2 (for KSP 1.0.5)

If i am using the sciencs junior (it is by every science part) I cannot go with the kerbal to the modul and keep it. So i cannot put it in a procesing lab or command pod. :(

I have install and deinstall many mods. If i am deinstal the mod in top, the problem is away.

Did someone have any idea, to resolve the problem and keep the mod?

I am sorry for my poor english.

You are welcome, Yemo, glad to see you regained mental strength to continue development.

Found some inbalance with USI life suport. Mulch part comes earlier in nodes than life support part. Should be other way around. Currently, makes early manned space flight difficult because it is slightly too far in tech tree compared to other unlocked parts. Mulch container is useless early due to recycling/greenhouse comes much later in tech tree.

Also, you may want to check Inigmas just released contract pack mod - GAP (Giving Aircraft Purpose) and also feel welcome to join to discussion to CFF thread (link in signature).

Yes @Yemo we'd love to have you on board the  Community Career Framework project. If anything, the project came about because of the unpredictability of having a balance mod such as yours all in one person's hands. If you'd like to offer up SETI parts as CCF compatible, it would go a long way to maintain its continuity if something were to happen to you. :) We'd love your input in the CCF thread on what you think would constitute the best means for modders to introduce mods balanced with other career based mods. We all would certainly love to see a renewed SETI work towards integration with the CCF vision of open development, cooperation, and balance with other CCF certified mods if you're interested.

1 hour ago, Kelvin090 said:

Hey guys,

i have a big problem with this part of Seti mod: SETI BalanceMod v0.9.5.2 (for KSP 1.0.5)

If i am using the sciencs junior (it is by every science part) I cannot go with the kerbal to the modul and keep it. So i cannot put it in a procesing lab or command pod. :(

I have install and deinstall many mods. If i am deinstal the mod in top, the problem is away.

Did someone have any idea, to resolve the problem and keep the mod?

I am sorry for my poor english.

When using the SETI-BalanceMod, mystery goo and materials bay can not be collected for balancing reasons. They also have different science payouts, masses and sizes, so their role is somewhat different. Unfortunately squad buried that information by messing up the original post of this thread with their forum move.

The mechanic can be changed in the SETI-ScienceSettings.cfg within SETIrebalance folder, lines 70 to 120:         @dataIsCollectable = False.

1 hour ago, kcs123 said:

You are welcome, Yemo, glad to see you regained mental strength to continue development.

Found some inbalance with USI life suport. Mulch part comes earlier in nodes than life support part. Should be other way around. Currently, makes early manned space flight difficult because it is slightly too far in tech tree compared to other unlocked parts. Mulch container is useless early due to recycling/greenhouse comes much later in tech tree.

Also, you may want to check Inigmas just released contract pack mod - GAP (Giving Aircraft Purpose) and also feel welcome to join to discussion to CFF thread (link in signature).

Thank you very much for your mod support during the last month!

I ll write the mulch thing down, USI Life Support seems to be in constant development at the moment, so I ll likely lag somewhat behind.
Since I plan to rewrite the tech tree for KSP 1.1, I ll likely wait until then. USI LifeSupport has (at least that is the last info I remember) 15 days of life support. Imho not giving an early option to extend that emphasizes the probes first approach for anything more that minor orbital and munar missions in the early game. At least that was the reasoning behind it. Though since you have more recent experience in that regard, if you are positive that it is too far away, I could move the USI LifeSupport one step forward during the next maintenance update (which is necessary anyway to deal with the updated CTT).

edit: Will take a look at GAP, thank you for the suggestion!

47 minutes ago, inigma said:

Yes @Yemo we'd love to have you on board the  Community Career Framework project. If anything, the project came about because of the unpredictability of having a balance mod such as yours all in one person's hands. If you'd like to offer up SETI parts as CCF compatible, it would go a long way to maintain its continuity if something were to happen to you. :) We'd love your input in the CCF thread on what you think would constitute the best means for modders to introduce mods balanced with other career based mods. We all would certainly love to see a renewed SETI work towards integration with the CCF vision of open development, cooperation, and balance with other CCF certified mods if you're interested.

Hey inigma, at the moment I first want to see if there is actual continued interest (patreon) in a continuation of SETI/my KSP modding and if there is, concentrate on dealing with the short term SETI related issues.

But I m reading the CCF thread right now and will at least offer some of my "experience"/thoughts, so that some of my mistakes may be avoided. And then we can take it from there...

Edited by Yemo

23 minutes ago, Yemo said:

When using the SETI-BalanceMod, mystery goo and materials bay can not be collected for balancing reasons. They also have different science payouts, masses and sizes, so their role is somewhat different. Unfortunately squad buried that information by messing up the original post of this thread with their forum move.

The mechanic can be changed in the SETI-ScienceSettings.cfg within SETIrebalance folder, lines 70 to 120:         @dataIsCollectable = False.

Thank you Yemo, for your support. It works. :)

I have gladly contributed to this project as it is the best balance mod I have seen. It makes KSP fun again.

Patreon wants me to sign up for a monthly contribution, which I don't want to do. So I contributed about a year of what I would have done monthly and will cancel after one month.

Thank you for SETI and I hope it continues to do great things.

16 hours ago, Aelios said:

I have gladly contributed to this project as it is the best balance mod I have seen. It makes KSP fun again.

Patreon wants me to sign up for a monthly contribution, which I don't want to do. So I contributed about a year of what I would have done monthly and will cancel after one month.

Thank you for SETI and I hope it continues to do great things.

Thank you very much for your very generous contribution!

It really lifts the spirit to see that appreciation and gives new energy especially when dealing the less pleasant tasks like maintenance and repairs!

I will post a small monthly update on patreon around the middle of each month.
Which may mainly serve as a reminder to cancel pledges, for everyone intending to do one time donations!

Speaking of maintenance work, this is the SETIctt maintenance update, roughly adjusting to the new CTT 2.3. Next in line are further repairs to the threads OP.

CommunityTechTree v0.9.5.1 (for KSP 1.0.5)

• Link provided in the kerbalstuff description & donate field

Many thanks to Aelios, first patron of the SETI Mod Project!

MOD-SPLIT

• Only SETIctt and CommunityTechTree are now distributed in this download
  • For the rebalancing part, please download the SETI-BalanceMod
  • If you use RemoteTech, consider the SETI-RemoteTech config from the forum thread

Adjustments

• Maintenance adjustment for CTT 2.3, not great but working
  • Major tech tree rewrite planned for KSP 1.1 and corresponding CTT

On 3.1.2016 at 5:46 PM, kcs123 said:

I just checked the tech tree again and I remembered it differently. Supply storage is available from enhancedSurvivability node for 45 science. I have not found a mulch part being available earlier, but I might well have missed something and I do not have a full mod install at the moment, just the USI life support.

So, this is the update for the short term to do list:

a ) Functional Mod maintenance (eg adjusting to the new CommunityTechTree) - done
b ) Information maintenance (Cleaning up the forum post after the destruction by forum migration)
c ) Additions to the mod support
d ) Adjustments to SETI-RemoteTech Config for vision color deficiency (red-green)
e ) Simple Mod pack around the Unmanned Before Manned mod to lower the entrance barrier to career modding

Edited by Yemo

Could be that something messed up between various updates on my sides. Somehow I missed those parts in enhancedSurvivability node.
Maybe something else interfered with parts showed in editor and on tree on my side. Time to reinstall all mods to clean up possible mess with leftover config files.

In mean time USI life support have been updated too, that could be possible reason behind it and also CTT updated while SETIctt was not.

This is how node where Mulch was placed:

Since, I was unable to locate life support packs I was thinking that those were higher in tree. EenhancedSurvivability node for 45 points is OK for those parts.

@kcs123 

Yep, the splitting of the life support parts/branches is a bit unintuitive.

Imho the bottom 2 tech lines belong somewhere else.
For the 1.1 tech tree revisit I plan to move the container line somewhere between fuel tanks and construction.
And the recycling/spacestation/colonization line should imho be right below the command pod line. Which also brings it much closer to the exploration and resource extraction nodes for the later colonization techs.

Another planned feature will be the modularization of fuel tank clutter parts along the lines of the current wing and tac life support special clutter nodes. So users can skip those 1 science nodes if they use procedural tanks preventing clutter in the VAB while still advancing the general tech tree.
So that the broad categories are sticking together a bit more (from top to bottom):

1. Nuclear Techs
2. Rocket Propulsion
3. Fuel and Storage
4. Construction
5. Aero Tech
6. Landing
7. Probes and Control
8. Command, Habitation and Colonization
9. Exploration & Resource Extraction
10. Electrics (including Ion engines) and Heat Management

But before investing time into implementing that whole tech tree rework, I have to see what changes in ksp 1.1 and the corresponding ctt version.

Need input from the community:

Is there some kind of consensus at the moment, which contract packs work well to replace the bad stock contracts for a unmanned & airplanes first career (like SETI)?

I m not up to date and due to time restrictions I can't really test it as well as I would like to. Though I would like to recommend those packs when someone installs the SETI-BalanceMod or the UnmannedBeforeManned mods via CKAN.

Current thoughts (in order of CKAN appearance):

1. Anomaly Surveyor
2. Bases and Stations
3. Field Research
4. Giving Aircraft a Purpose
5. Remote Tech
6. Rover Missions Redux
7. Tourism Plus

Are any of those above not working well with others, or are there any problems with the list above, in general?

I m not sure about a general progression pack, on CKAN there are SETIcontracts (and Initial Contracts), AdvancedProgression, GrandTours, Historic Missions and Unmanned Contracts.

Without bias (since I made SETIcontracts), which of them provides the best progression for a tech tree starting unmanned, given their current state? And works well enough together with the special contract packs above?

57 minutes ago, Yemo said:

Is there some kind of consensus at the moment, which contract packs work well to replace the bad stock contracts for a unmanned & airplanes first career (like SETI)?

I m not up to date and due to time restrictions I can't really test it as well as I would like to. Though I would like to recommend those packs when someone installs the SETI-BalanceMod or the UnmannedBeforeManned mods via CKAN.

1. Anomaly Surveyor
2. Bases and Stations
3. Field Research
5. Remote Tech
6. Rover Missions Redux
7. Tourism Plus

Are any of those above not working well with others, or are there any problems with the list above, in general?

I m not sure about a general progression pack, on CKAN there are SETIcontracts (and Initial Contracts), AdvancedProgression, GrandTours, Historic Missions and Unmanned Contracts.

Without bias (since I made SETIcontracts), which of them provides the best progression for a tech tree starting unmanned, given their current state? And works well enough together with the special contract packs above?

I think that was sort of the idea I was hoping to flesh out with CCF - essentially a tech tree, part balances, and a set of career contracts dedicated to filling in the gaps with career contracts or replacing them entirely, to avoid contract development overlap.

I was apsent from playing for a long time, started new career just before holidays, unlocked only 1/4 of tech tree trough career and don' t know exactly what kind of contract come from what contract pack, is it stock, or custom contract.

Stock rescue/randevous contract - interesting to do, but only inside Kerbin system (Kerbin/Mun/Minimus) - for other systdems it is immersion killer and a bit tedious since you need to wait for a long time for transfer window to other celestial bodies.

Placing probes in desired orbits - interesting to do in any career progress state.

Station and bases - didn't have much oportunity to get/finish such contracts, but like I mentioned in CFF thread, it will be nice if we have some contracts that teach you about required elements to build half and fully self sufficient bases. It has been much shifted back and forth to remember all changes for MKS/OKS with USI life support, for example.

GAP - gives something interesting to do while you wait for transfer window for other celestial bodies. Can't give much feedback about it, didn't played career much in last 2-3 days, I was messing around with kOS Hovering autopilot for KAX Heli craft. Work nice, but there is still room to improve.

Don't know how much time I will have to play KSP, real life issues can strike any time, but I will try to provide some more feedback in CFF thread, so everyone can benefit from it, moders who create custom tech trees and moders who create contract packs too.

On 06/01/2016 at 3:11 PM, Yemo said:

1. Anomaly Surveyor
2. Bases and Stations
3. Field Research
5. Remote Tech
6. Rover Missions Redux
7. Tourism Plus

I'm really enjoying the progression of the Historic Missions pack, which starts off with sub-orbital probes and follows Soviet & NASA missions in scope.

Will do. I have SETcontracts installed, but didin't have historic missions. I can't recall if I have completed or accepted any of SETI contracts, so I can't give much feedback if it is broken or not due to contract configurator updates and other mod updates.

Thanks for recommendation.

EDIT:

Ooops. I was having ongoing SETI contractgs. Manned flight for 72 hours and Minimus and Kerbol science contracts.
I will try to finish those first and then try historic missions again.

Edited by kcs123

Oh, and thank you very much to the two patrons!

While I have your patreon names, I m not sure whether you want them to appear in the OP (german, thus concerned about giving info without permission), thus I added thanks to two anonymous patrons. If you are ok/willing to be named, please drop me a short message.

@kcs123: Hopefully @Nori will come back for ksp 1.1, which would resolve the general progression contracts from the SETI perspective.

Hello,

Okay so an apology is necessary...I wasnt aware modders could ask for donations; I just didnt think that in order to keep a MOD updated a certain donation goal had to be reached, following Twitch ideaology. I hope modders dont go this route; we all know it takes time and effort to make mods and maintain them; it doesnt matter how much people donate; many of the best mods are dead now and it wasnt because the creators didnt get any money.

Perhaps smaller icons and one donation blurb on the OP first page would be nice like in this one:

This is in my opinion the BEST MOD ever created for KSP for what it does; I hope I can still use it as I am trying to get back into the game. Here is a MOD I would donate to if I had money.

Commander Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta
I stand Corrected !

On 1/3/2016 at 4:26 PM, Yemo said:

So, after taking one month time-out, I m back at KSP.

First I'd like to thank everyone for the support, offers of help and especially kcs123 for providing mod support.

Seeing the unnecessary destruction from the forum migration (first post of this thread),
it seems I again have to put effort into just achieving functionality again,
without any improvements to the actual mod.

Since this is not the first time something like that "happened" (far from it),
I m asking for the support of those who have used and/or are using this mod.

Ok I am in. With money on the table. :lol:

However I don't know for how long because I am broke. What I can say is you will be getting more money from me that Squad did. Which is a testimony to how much I value your efforts so far. 

In the past you have listened and given feedback. If we have had disagreements in the SETI development. You have put your points across very well. Or changed things for the greater good. The whole development process was documented. Loosing some of that feedback is frustrating. It is also damn confusing for the newcomers. As is the often asked question about not being able to collect science. How many times have we answered that one :wink:  

However the most frustrating thing has been the introduction of certain stock features that undermine the value of SETI and other play balance mods. Sometimes it feels like we just trying to keep the game stable rather than improve it. Although this may seem like a rant so far :blush:. It is fact intended to be some recognition that your work is appreciated. Enough to justify more support. 

On 1/6/2016 at 3:11 PM, Yemo said:

1. Anomaly Surveyor
2. Bases and Stations
3. Field Research
5. Remote Tech
6. Rover Missions Redux
7. Tourism Plus

I will get back to you on this. I would like to do proper play testing again in 1.0.5 before I commit to an answer. All that I can do right now is repeat and update some of the earlier 1.0.4 play through choices. Although I admit this is an old listing. I feel it still might give you some idea of nice career progression curve.

First off it is important to remember that Contract Configurator lets you force bad missions types off the current queue in KSC screen. I tend to add back mission types at appropriate times. A quick and dirty list what I use this for.....Start with only...

SETI Contracts (of course :wink:)

Field Research : Can give me some early career focus but I find it hit or miss. None the less it is always included in every game I play.

Aircraft Builders : All early manned mission are in aircraft in my games. The SETI tech tree allows for early planes. Especially with support for mods like SXT or even KAX. The SETI mission for manned flight over 18k is done during my flight to 20k in aircraft builders. I have to make a kerbal X-15 that takes off from runway and returns to it. Possible very early on with aid of design built around a hybrid booster. 

N3h3mia Kemnini Science : I must check up on this mod as the updated experimental build should be pushed out to a wider audience. This is essential for the whole Mercury / Gemini spacecraft feeling. Experimental packages that make several early orbital flights meaningful.  

Before moving onto

N3h3mia Material Science : Again I need to verify that this can be carried across. It is the early docking / MIR stuff of taking up stuff to do on EVA

Station Science : Without this I find the whole space station building kind of pointless. 

Scan Contracts : In support for SCANsat of course.

Useful Stations : It forced me into the HR and logistics of space stations. I can't just stick Kerbals in orbit for ever. Stuff happens. 

Tourism Plus : I hate the stock tourism missions. 

Remote Tech : A very important mod 

Then I start to open the game up to all the contract packs including stock

This does cause overlapping progress but in a meaningful way. You will need several early orbital missions to complete the early contracts. So although you might get asked to do a simple orbit. The specifications and payload will change.

As far a science and funding goes. I have an odd choice which is deliberately designed to make a weird progress curve. I have to pay to unlock items but also get paid to do just science. Science Funding lets to carry on the campaign without contracts. It does however only pay once and funding and science points are 50%. This causes funding to bounce around a lot. Upgrading buildings is difficult because the tech tree takes cash. However it also brings in a windfall of cash now and again. Also the occasional financial crisis. Although not an ideal solution it gives a different SETI based playing experience that is worth trying. Certainly more better than stock progression. Although technically not exactly in the spirit of SETI it a fun experience.

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

Ok almost there with the 1.0.5 version. Going with a different set up that the recommended packages but not too different. The intention is to isolate contract packs in contract configure settings and play them through independently with exactly the same mod pack.

So far the biggest battle of the instal is fixing the two huge mistakes in stock KSP. No two man pods and useless space stations.

There is a two man pod with the right specifications in SXT (which is supported). However it looks like it too high up the tree and at the rockomax which makes it useless. For few dollars more there is a three man Mk2 with better specifications including a 1.25m CLS passage in nose. 

In the past the mid career technology would have been based around HGR rockets at 1.875 scale before getting into the rockomax stuff. Finding a replacement in ksp 1.0.5 is proving difficult. So far I am toying with the idea of using Angel125 mark one extentions to build a two man pod. With procedural parts filling out the tanks and adaptors. Thant means I am going to have to move stuff around the tech tree quite a bit to get it to fit into the SETI development path.

Also the missing Station Science mod kind of leaves a big gap in mid career play. I could fill in with the supported parts packs to do something but the logistics jobs outside of normal contracts would be missing. Some difficult choices to patch things up here as well. In theory the orbital material science package stuff should still work as it just adds internal science options onto established stock parts and can use the KIS parts for everything else. Looking at the basics of moving the stuff across right now.

Still working on filling the gaps to make SETI playable in 1.0.5. Almost there.

@nobodyhasthis2:

Thank you very much for your support and pledge!

I really appreciate it, however if you do not have the money to spare, it would be totally fine not to contribute with money. For many, a few dollars is not much, especially compared to the time and gameplay benefit this mod provides and I appreciate their donations very much, it helps a lot by distributing the effort in terms of time units (which dollars are for most people). Though I would not feel comfortable recieving money when it is not a time unit (in terms of opportunity costs), but instead a trade unit for basic necessities. 10$ can be a lot if you need them for basic stuff.

Due to the contribution of the previous 3 patrons, core SETI will at least be kept compatible with 1.1 (and the corresponding CTT).

At the moment the big SXT pack is not supported, I wanted to wait until after ksp 1.1 hits and the tech tree is rewritten.
My former go-to packs for 2 kerbal pods were k2 and corvus, but it seems like they are on hiatus as well and of course the big hgr pack...
Not sure what 2 kerbal pod is feasible in ksp 1.0.5, quite some modders seem to take a break until ksp stabilizes.

I would also love to support the science mod by N3h3mia, I was even close to doing so until 1.0 hit. I suspect they will have problems with heating since they have not been updated after ksp 0.90, unfortunately another collateral damage of ksp 1.0.

I ll take a look at science funding for the future, thank you for the suggestion.
Maybe I ll even take another look at the SETI contracts (some balancing changes, no expansion), since Nori went on hiatus as well.

Hm, seems like 1.0.5 is really lacking in mod(der) support, unfortunately not unexpected.

Anyway, a minor update for SETIctt. For everyone who remembers ksp 0.90 glory, it seems like the landertrons are back, at least in a rebooted version (though some former functions are missing).

They can be downloaded here:

https://github.com/charfa/XTLandertron/releases

SETI CommunityTechTree v0.9.5.2 (for KSP 1.0.5)

• Link provided in the kerbalstuff description & donate field

Many thanks to the 4 SETI patrons!

Adjustments

• Karbonite engines moved from specialized to efficient flight (because of new CTT)

Mod-Support

• kOS (smallest module available at start)
  • Landertron (rewrite for ksp 1.0.5 by Charfa, link in SETI OP)

Edited by Yemo

1 hour ago, Yemo said:

@nobodyhasthis2:

Thank you very much for your support and pledge!

I really appreciate it, however if you do not have the money to spare, it would be totally fine not to contribute with money. For many, a few dollars is not much, especially compared to the time and gameplay benefit this mod provides and I appreciate their donations very much, it helps a lot by distributing the effort in terms of time units (which dollars are for most people). Though I would not feel comfortable recieving money when it is not a time unit (in terms of opportunity costs), but instead a trade unit for basic necessities. 10$ can be a lot if you need them for basic stuff.

Due to the contribution of the previous 3 patrons, core SETI will at least be kept compatible with 1.1 (and the corresponding CTT).

At the moment the big SXT pack is not supported, I wanted to wait until after ksp 1.1 hits and the tech tree is rewritten.
My former go-to packs for 2 kerbal pods were k2 and corvus, but it seems like they are on hiatus as well and of course the big hgr pack...
Not sure what 2 kerbal pod is feasible in ksp 1.0.5, quite some modders seem to take a break until ksp stabilizes.

I would also love to support the science mod by N3h3mia, I was even close to doing so until 1.0 hit. I suspect they will have problems with heating since they have not been updated after ksp 0.90, unfortunately another collateral damage of ksp 1.0.

I ll take a look at science funding for the future, thank you for the suggestion.
Maybe I ll even take another look at the SETI contracts (some balancing changes, no expansion), since Nori went on hiatus as well.

Hm, seems like 1.0.5 is really lacking in mod(der) support, unfortunately not unexpected.

@Yemo thanks for the update. Happy to throw some extra cash your way for beer money anyway. I have been running SETI for so long I actually don't remember how to play stock anymore :lol:

All I am saying is my own donation might suddenly be nerfed a bit in a few months time but that is because stuff is happening at my end. Nothing to do with the future of the mod. The key thing right now is we both happy and the mod has a future with some spare change. Yay!

Please forgive the following rather large post. It is just the feed back on my latest attempt to tweak the SETI experience to personal taste. Feel free to cherry pick out bits that sound good and discard the rest as you feel appropriate.   

The SXT mostly fits as is. Yes it needs tweaks but the essential basic SETI config is ok for now. I live with it as is and I feel it too much effort to change much before 1.1

Right now the best bet for a two man pod is from @Angel-125. Mark one extension for the MOLE system. It does need tweaked due to the MK1 pod changes but works fine so far. I am running with it now and slowly tweaking it to the SETI tech tree. It is pretty much a kerbal version of Gemini in a nice 1.875 scale. If I ever get this all worked out I will share the config file to the SETI community for checking and as a possible handy template to help in a future SETI update. Don't expect miracles because I am not a programmer. You have taught me enough during SETI development to do the basic stuff so at least I can do some things that a help a bit. I hope. 

I like having semi functional or problem parts mid career before getting to the cool stuff.A lot of the stuff I do in SETI is limited by self imposed role playing of old balance stuff. The early inline cockpit for example cannot go into space in my game. It is restricted to atmospheric flight only. At least until the mk 2 cockpit is unlocked as well. Best I can do for manned flight is aircraft only until at least the basic Mercury style stuff can be done. I could use Near Future Spacecraft which has a two man pod but would put that higher up the tech tree. It has more gear and can support a proper Connected Living Space docking and autopilot features.. Before I get there my career goes through that pioneering and a risky Mercury/Gemini stage. Where I am just happy to get up to obit do some science and get home safe.

For this reason. Might be take a look at the Mechjeb config as well. To see if I can split out the Translatron feature. It is going up two tech nodes and Ascent control coming down one. Basically that means there is no way to use it in the first powered landings. The automatic throttle will not work. Automatic Ascent guidance comes early by one node but that still costs 160 science points and a level 2 science center. Not exactly cheap. This pretty much means that Mechjeb grows functionality just a little too slow. With me having to unlock it at roughly the same rate that probe core functions evolve. It will point at nodes like a probe core but it still takes sweat blood an tears to teach it all the clever stuff at every step through career. 

The science mod by N3h3mia has been updated to at least 1.0.4. Thanks to @micha. It seems fine so far. There should be thermal problems in the move to 1.0.5 but I am not expecting too much difficulty. Since the actual experimental parts are either special tweaks on stock Mk1. The orbital material stuff is also attached in orbit using Kerbal Attachment System so there should not be any atmospheric problems. I find out soon enough as it is installed for my next 1.05 playthrough. The big labs might be a problem but we will see. The recent changes in Contract Configure may break things a little bit. It Has to be version locked and can never be backwards compatible but I can live with any changes that brings. I have tried to get in touch with micha for advice but am willing to give it a try now. 

The Science Funding mod does generate lots of funds which is not good for SETI. However if your playing with about 90 to 80% contract funding and yet have tech tree parts costs switched on it gets to be an interesting alternative. Some of the stock prices are just silly expensive. Here I am trying to turn the unbalanced nature of the stock game into an interesting playing feature. Suddenly the "lumpy" range of prices on the tech tree burns through tons of money comes in from science at an unexpected rate. It all starts to get a bit tactical as the extra cash will not keep coming in and you have to buy stuff sensibly to keep the career going. I considering Science Funding worth looking at but I would leave it as an optional variation only.If people want to switch on the parts buying only. I have a number of extra science experiments that generate extra points but the whole thing is nerfed to just a 50% reward.

I miss @Nori as well. I found his input very useful as well. My intention is to kinda work out a 1.0.5 mod pack that feels ok for a SETI tech tree and then run through all the various contract packs. Since we can switch them on and off directly in game now. So I let you know how they all compare.

As far as support goes for 1.0.5 things are a little bit like the move to 1.0.4. The data coming out of the CKAN project showed that a new stable build discouraged people updating the vast majority of mods. As a lot of mods did not noticeably break enough to justify an update. As a result we can assume things still work with the obvious exceptions that always seem to break during updates. Another thing is I don't think people expected 1.0.5 as the next update was supposed to be 1.1. Squad just made progress and decided to share it out early. However there is a lot of people have set their heart on waiting out for 1.1. it is just too depressing to think that any hard work fixing things might be undone later. So it is better to wait.

The current memory cap with 32 bits also makes difficult right now. For example. Your suggested mods list in the CKAN config is good but a lot of them have to be rejected anyway. Not because I don't like your suggestions or the mods. There just has to be a limit on the number of mods loaded right now. So I am forced to reject a lot of good stuff. I think we all be crying tears of joy if Squad does get out a stable 64 bit version with better memory usage. 

Anyway, off to check out the new landertrons :lol:

Hey Yemo! I can only pledge a few dollars (USD) a month right now, but I was so overjoyed to see that SETI got updated. I think I had an earlier version, lost my Kerbal install, and when I went to install it, it didn't work. I tried to build something similar myself by just adding various mods, but it was buggy as hell.

Cue finding out that SETI was back for 1.0.5 and with a single click (and clicking on all the suggested mods), I had an awesome set-up that just seems to work. I added a bunch of other mods I like or found useful and it all seems to be working smoothly so far.

So thanks. I'm getting some enjoyment and I'll definitely support you on some level as long as I'm playing Kerbal regularly!

Thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.