SP-3.14 Circular Solar Panel v1.2

KerbIndustries

What is it exactly?

It's a solar panel which you have to attach in a simmetry of 3 or 4 and when it's deployed it goes around the vessel like a doughnut!

PARTS

• SP-3.14x3 Circular Solar Panel(simmetry of 3)
  • SP-3.14x4 Circular Solar Panel(simmetry of 4)

It's working with TweakScale.

It's available in:

• 0.625m
  • 1.25m
  • 2.5m
  • 3.75m
  • and even in 5m

Therefore you need TweakScale to use it properly.

License: CC-BY-NC-SA

You can download it on Kerbal Stuff

I would like to hear some critics and ideas for improvement.

Make sure you make a copy of your save file before installing this mod.

Known issues:

• deleted kerbals

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by KerbIndustries

Sounds like it's a case of having to not only change the symmetry, but also the model and animation to match. Looks interesting. Are the back-sides also functional? The way they retract, you couldn't just put another set on the other side or they'd clip through each other.

I only now saw a possible balancing issue.

Your panels become available in the same node as the small static stock ones, but they provide a lot more power/second - if I read correctly last night, than they provide even more power than those two tech tiers higher.

Just a thought. :)

Could you make a version of the mod that has a couple sizes and does not require Tweak Scale? Many people don't use Tweak Scale.

If you have ModuleManager.*.*.* installed you can put this file anywhere in KSP/GameData untested but should work if you want more changes you can edit or post what changes you want and should add 3 more sizes. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/Circular%20Solar%20Panel_SIZE_PATCH.cfg.zip

If you have ModuleManager.*.*.* installed you can put this file anywhere in KSP/GameData untested but should work if you want more changes you can edit or post what changes you want and should add 3 more sizes. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/Circular%20Solar%20Panel_SIZE_PATCH.cfg.zip

Lulz, tweaking the scale without TweakScale! Salute and a slow clap, bravo!

Sounds like it's a case of having to not only change the symmetry, but also the model and animation to match. Looks interesting. Are the back-sides also functional? The way they retract, you couldn't just put another set on the other side or they'd clip through each other.

This is a good question. My sense is that I'd not expect there to be photo cells on the bottom side of these panels, nor would I think to install a second ring immediately below this one (though I may do it anyway, I'm forgiving of a lot of clipping) -- It's a single-purpose kind of deployment. We still need to use the standard surface-attach panels and extendable panels to for most ships. :D

Those rescale the size of the model but they don't increase power generation, which would logically happen when the panel surface area is increased.

@KerbIndustries:

Do the panels rotate to track the sun?

• 2 weeks later...

I do not follow how that last statement applies to this mod.

I had an idea while thinking about sun-tracking rocket-wrapping panels. What they need is for each panel to be made up of smaller radially-vertical panels that can rotate independently. The effect of a wrapping panel would persist, but each slice would turn to try and get the best angle. Probably too much detail for this application, however.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.