Where do I find a "Materials Bay"?

I have a contract that requires a "Materials Bay". I can't find anything with this name in the current game. I'm thinking maybe this refers to the SC9001 Science Jr. Any clues?

Edited by Asharad
question answered

Thanks. While waiting on a mod to approve my post, I figured it out by launching my Science Jr into Minmas orbit to complete the contract. I think the contract requirements could be more descriptive, because nothing in the game is called "materials bay".

I'm really enjoying contracts I've been getting. Now that I've finished the science trees, I'm getting pretty aggressive.

I think the reason for the wording is so that you can complete the contract with modded science parts, like say DMagics parts, like the Universal Storage Science Jr, or FASA's version of the goo.

This ambiguity should really be fixed. I noticed it but couldn't be bothered to start a thread.

I agree. For anyone that's new to the game they'd have no idea what part the contract is talking about.

I agree. For anyone that's new to the game they'd have no idea what part the contract is talking about.

It's not just the new guys that it stumps. I've logged a hundred hours in this game and it stumped me.

I "knew" the Science Jr was the materials bay, because I have 900 hours or something.

I *still* checked Google when building a probe for a contract, just to make sure my Kerbally addled brain wasn't tricking me. Needs fixing.

They could fix that by including a thumbnail image of the part in the actual contract, the same kind of thumbnail you see in the SPH/VAB lists. Right now, they display 2x the flag of the contract issuing company, it should be one flag, one pic of the item.

• 3 months later...

This requirement has still not been re-worded for 1.0, and it confused me too, even though I've been playing KSP for a while (off and on). It's not a big deal; I Googled and found this thread. Were I drafting the contract, I'd have written "A Science Jr. or equivalent Materials Bay" or such. Still, it's not a high-priority problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

That likely won't do anything, so I've bumped the bug report instead :D

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/4877

The phrase "Needs Clarification" in a bug report is a request to anybody to verify that the bug still happens in the current version, and to provide a full formal set of bug report files in the current version. A savegame, a screenshot, and both log files -- which are missing on that report.

Once those files have been uploaded, the bug report should have its status changed to "Updated".

Edited by bewing

5 minutes ago, bewing said:

The phrase "Needs Clarification" in a bug report is a request to anybody to verify that the bug still happens in the current version, and to provide a full formal set of bug report files in the current version. A savegame, a screenshot, and both log files -- which are missing on that report.

That seems a semiridiculous set of requirements from their free bug reporting pool for this 100% completely verifiable claim in any game loaded in the past several years.

But if someone doesn't do it, maybe I'll get around to posting a random set of the above taken from the last time I loaded the stock game, plus that screen shot on the first page. Even though everything but the screen shot will not actually show the problem.

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

That seems a semiridiculous set of requirements

The point is that the devs don't have the hours to spend verifying claims. They need to focus on fixing pre-verified bugs, because we don't have as many devs anymore. And they can't spend the hour or so trying to get a contract specifying a materials bay, so they absolutely need the savegame.

Yes, it's true that the logfiles usually don't help, but they only take a few seconds to upload.

And the other point is to weed out thousands of old moot bug reports that have been fixed over the years but never had their issues closed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.