Attaching at Both Ends

I'm working on a heavy rover for trucking Karbonite stuff around Kerben. I'm using Infernal Robotics to make a gantry that raises and lowers in the cargo bay of the rover. The idea is that the gantry will have a robotic arm that will grab KAS storage units, lift them out of the cargo bay and deposit them on the ground for Jeb and friends to do stuff with. I've got the gantry attached to an adjustable rail on one end of the cargo bay. The other end of the bay has it's own adjustable rail but I'm not having any luck getting the Octagonal Struts to attach to the far opposite rail.

Here's a screen shot.

screenshot1_zps93a42493.png

As you can see, the left side is just hanging there and it will not connect to the rail. Any thoughts on how to make that work?

Edited by twiget

It's a known limitation of the way craft building works.

Just strut the two ends together, and it should be rigid enough for *most* purposes.

Unless that's not possible? I don't know much about infernal robotics.

Short answer: You can't.

Each part can only have 1 attachment itself. Other parts can use their 1 attachment to attach to that part, but it in itself can only have 1. The exception is the strut which is designed to fix that problem.

You can try building the center gantry as root, and join together with the cargo bay. Just strut heavily there.

That will just move the problem to the new last part you complete the construction loop with. Think of your craft as a tree, with the root part as the trunk and every part attached to it, as a branch, and (almost) every part can have others branching from it (except certain radially attached parts or struts). The issue for the OP is that he wants the branches to form a loop, which a tree cant do (a mathematical tree cant do anyway), the only exceptions, as mentioned above, are the humble strut, or "space tape", or a docking adaptor (which was connected in the simulation and NOT in the VAB or SPH) which can close your loop

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up securing it with some space tape. it great. Now I just have to figure out the robotic arm. I'm also planning on a trailer to haul Karbonite stuff that wont fit in the cargo hold (generators, distillers ect...) Once I get things figured out I'll post a pic or three.

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up securing it with some space tape. it great. Now I just have to figure out the robotic arm. I'm also planning on a trailer to haul Karbonite stuff that wont fit in the cargo hold (generators, distillers ect...) Once I get things figured out I'll post a pic or three.

I would suggest using docking ports. Take one and attach it to the adjustable rail then attach one to the cubic strut holding the gantry then make sure they are close together so that when you launch the ship the two docking ports will connect with eachother. Do you get what I mean? If you dont just let me know and ill get some pics for you to see.

This is my pet peeve as well. KSP's part attachment scheme makes these parts all but useless for anything but engine mounts:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/w/images/8/83/TVR-400L_Stack_Quad-Adapter.png

Again If you use docking ports You can use that differently. I'll jump on KSP make an example and post the pic. Be right back.

- - - Updated - - -

Well now the fuel attached to the docking ports won't transfer to the engine? Gotta figure that problem out.

Again If you use docking ports You can use that differently. I'll jump on KSP make an example and post the pic. Be right back.

- - - Updated - - -

Well now the fuel attached to the docking ports won't transfer to the engine? Gotta figure that problem out.

Inverted multicouplers do not permit fuel crossfeed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.