The Most Fabulous KSP Girandola

First off, apologies if someone already proposed a challenge like this before (I did do a forum search using the keyword 'girandola' and so far came up with none). I do think it deserves a second wind in case something similar was already posed as a challenge before, this time with 0.90.0 and its goodies at our disposal. First off, the video.

This is a Thai Girandola, a firework that's basically a wheel-rocket that twirls when it lifts off. At top of ascent, a parachute is automatically deployed.

So my challege is, if anyone would like to try it, is to make the most fabulous, and I say fabulous, not largest, nor most powerful, but fabulous KSP Girandola :) I would encourage the use of smoke or flame mods to enhance your display. Take note that of course, the purpose of a Girandola is to wow, so your objective is pretty much to err uhm, wow. LOL You can make it perform some hidden surprise tricks on ascent or whatever, just make sure it looks spectacular as it goes up :) Parachutes optional!

I guess we can let Kerbal passengers on, for added thrill :D

Edited by rodion_herrera

Only challenge that came close was to try and make a Trieflugel (German experimental aircraft that never made it past design stage, but happens to be the smaller-airship from "Captain America, First Avenger" [The flying bombs launched from the Valkyrie Long-Range flying wing type plane]).

Nice idea for a challenge, but I think you might need a bit more structure to your challenge - limit parts or mods, and have a leaderboard ready for your entries - and your own one would be good! :)

Hey nice challenge.

I have made an airplane that acts like your girandola, except that i use jet engines to rotate and wings to create lift. Does this count?:)

Also lands with parachutes!

I had to add an ascent chute so it doesnt tip over after 1 km height. Havent found another solution. No reaction to laying a fueltank 10 meters under the plane.

But the crash is marvellous. Spins like a wheel on the ground with exploding parts!

Also a kerbal is having his spinning fun in there. Ascent Speed is 25 m/s at the beginning and 13 m/s at 10000m.

Descent is about 30m/s spinning fast and wild.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Only challenge that came close was to try and make a Trieflugel (German experimental aircraft that never made it past design stage, but happens to be the smaller-airship from "Captain America, First Avenger" [The flying bombs launched from the Valkyrie Long-Range flying wing type plane]).

Nice idea for a challenge, but I think you might need a bit more structure to your challenge - limit parts or mods, and have a leaderboard ready for your entries - and your own one would be good! :)

You are absolutely right commander. I did realize that the challenge I posed might have been too open-ended or lacked certain criteria, or perhaps the term "most fabulous" was too abstract. I shall further refine the challenge based on your input. Many thanks!

I do wonder who could make the LARGEST EVER working Girandola in KSP though. I guess that person would also possess a rather powerful PC to run the thing too.

Whoa! Well even though I have yet to crunch out a criteria, I'd have to say that Darren's contraption is so far Numero Uno for this challenge! That thing is a beast! And considering he's using the solids (lotsa smoke) it's way more KSP Girandola than mine would ever be! Great effort there Darren!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey nice challenge.

I have made an airplane that acts like your girandola, except that i use jet engines to rotate and wings to create lift. Does this count?:)

Also lands with parachutes!

I had to add an ascent chute so it doesnt tip over after 1 km height. Havent found another solution. No reaction to laying a fueltank 10 meters under the plane.

But the crash is marvellous. Spins like a wheel on the ground with exploding parts!

Also a kerbal is having his spinning fun in there. Ascent Speed is 25 m/s at the beginning and 13 m/s at 10000m.

Descent is about 30m/s spinning fast and wild.

http://imgur.com/a/wNkrJ

I like this design (I personally contemplated on using jet engines too at one point), but I think the generation of lift (via "winglike" structures) is one of the things we have to leave out of the design (in essence, you actually built a helicopter)--the design has to rely on pure thrust to get up into the air. Thanks for sharing though!

Edited by rodion_herrera

Ok I declare Fengist's attempt successful in knocking off Darrell from number 1 spot. :D That was indeed FABULOUS, the explosions really gave it a girandola-esque feel! Great work!

Thanks, Was a fun challenge. Something different and an intriguing diversion. I never expected it to fly so easily.

Sorry it took so long to actually get to those explosions. I would have added more but that's around 250 parts and my lil computer didn't like all the physics.

There's so much mass spinning there I have to open the chutes early to slow it down. And then... to keep it from self detonating when I stage...

Edited by Fengist

Was a fun challenge.

I tend to "play" KSP in quite a "serious" manner in my current career and sandbox saves. However, from time to time, I felt it's so refreshing just to fool around like this, if only to test KSP physics limitations and/or seeing what kind of performance my crappy laptop can have if I build gigantic flying wheels :D

Keep them coming guys! I have decided to keep this open ended because I think the fun-factor is much higher if we aren't strict with limits/rules for the challenge. Just contribute any girandola build that you feel is already fabulous :D

Oh wait, you like explosions? Why didn't you say you wanted a spinning, exploding pyrotechnic. Most of my launches unintentionally fall into that category. I have mastered that.

Actually, I was done with this challenge when I saw a link to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDQKh4HTgS8

I've developed a bad habit since I started playing Kerbals. I see something cool flying and I think... "I wonder if Jeb could fly one of those."

This required some slight modifications. Stock SRB's are just too powerful and too long lasting for this... if you want all the cool smoke. So... I used Karbonite SRB's. Their fuel is tweakable and the small one only puts out 65 thrust and even that's tweakable.

As for spinning on one stability enhancer... Infernal robotics... free docking washer.

Girandola6.jpg

Girandola7.jpg

Girandola8.jpg

Girandola9.jpg

Girandola10.jpg

Edited by Fengist

Got some great ideas to make some cool looking "effects" for mine. But it's getting pretty late so I'll have to take a crack at this tomorrow. Can't wait to send rockets and explosions all over KSP!!! Just a tip for people, I think a good way to show the launch of the rocket would be to take an extra kerbal "a safe" distance away from the launchpad and film the beginning of the Girandola being launched from his perspective. Just a thought :wink:

^ Thanks, here's the advance warning :) I added on a Herp command chair after reading Rodion_herrera's comment, welded up the frame into one piece with Ubizor so I could run it and got Kaboom mod for the explosions - unfortunately it deletes the smoke trails when it detonates boosters.

I can't even describe what I felt while watching that Darren9. I'm totally floored. Even the term "fabulous" is NOT ENOUGH to describe what you just created. Just look at the Kerbal's face while being in that thing...he must have experienced something so transcendental that after landing, he would probably quit being a Kerbal astronaut and be a priest LOL

You are now back in top slot Darren9! Nothing can top that for now, sorry Fengist.

Fengist, don't give up that easily! As inspiration, a Squad staffer picked up on our challenge, and now it's featured on the KSP Facebook Fanpage! :Dhttps://www.facebook.com/kerbalspaceprogram

So dust off your wheels again and try a more daring design! :D I know I will! Hahahaha!

Oh it's not from a lack of ideas. It from a lack of computer. Unfortunately, when there are no limitations, the limit becomes what your computer and graphics card can handle. Mine's old and is easily outclassed. I did enjoy the challenge though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.