Forcing DirectX11: 40% memory reduction!

Captain Sierra

Just now, Gaarst said:

The point of forcing DX was reducing memory usage, since 1.1 and 64-bit I don't think that's necessary anymore, is it ?

Well it works and does appear to use less gpu memory and lowers gpu load for me.

But that's on an almost antique GTX-570 where such things still matter.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
3 minutes ago, jpinard said:

Is this commandline still necessary after the latest DLC (breaking ground) and patch?  They did a lot to optimize stuff and I'm not sure if DX11 was one of them.

Yes, it is, unfortunately...
And it *will* be, until Squad finally decides to give up on Dx9, and re-codes the game, as may be needed... (infinitesimally smoll chance of this *ever* happening...)
Or, until Squad decides to upgrade Unity to or newer than 2017.3, which dropped Dx9 support... (smoll chance of *this* ever happening... but mebbe a tiny bit better than above...)

So I would get used to planning on needing to force Dx11 on KSP, at least until KSP 2.0 comes along :rofl:

29 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Yes, it is, unfortunately...
And it *will* be, until Squad finally decides to give up on Dx9, and re-codes the game, as may be needed... (infinitesimally smoll chance of this *ever* happening...)
Or, until Squad decides to upgrade Unity to or newer than 2017.3, which dropped Dx9 support... (smoll chance of *this* ever happening... but mebbe a tiny bit better than above...)

So I would get used to planning on needing to force Dx11 on KSP, at least until KSP 2.0 comes along :rofl:

Do you have graphical artifacts from using it?

Also, dp you use the -no-singlethreaded command line as well?

If I use the no single threaded command after the d3d11 option, should there be a space between them or not?  

-force-d3dll-no-singlethreaded

vs.

-force-d3dll  -no-singlethreaded

Edited by jpinard

On 6/24/2019 at 1:19 PM, jpinard said:

Do you have graphical artifacts from using it?

Also, dp you use the -no-singlethreaded command line as well?

Unfortunately I do not actually *play* a lot... I pretend I am a mod dev, and dabble in modifying mods... :P So I spend most of my time in a limited dev install, 99% of the time never leaving Kerbin LKO...

Only real glitches I notice forcing Dx11, are the top and bottom rows of part icons being cutoff/overlapping the UI, and the darker, 3/4 cut-off icons of non-command parts when I havent selected a root part yet...
i can live with that, for the *HUGE* performance and lower RAM usage I see with Dx9...

But this is with Textures Unlimited plugin installed... you'll get blue'd out part icons, and mebbe other *stuff* with Dx11, w/o TU installed...

and, no, I dont use the no singlethreaded CLI... I dont remember hearing what it is or does... vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

On 7/2/2019 at 6:55 PM, Stone Blue said:

But this is with Textures Unlimited plugin installed... you'll get blue'd out part icons, and mebbe other *stuff* with Dx11, w/o TU installed...

On my machine I get blue parts icons even if I remove all my mods, when I force Dx11.

1 hour ago, purpleivan said:

On my machine I get blue parts icons even if I remove all my mods, when I force Dx11.

Dx11 was used a lot back when KSP was 32 bit, but now that its 64 bit you shouldn't need Dx11. See that the original post is from 2015.

2 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Dx11 was used a lot back when KSP was 32 bit, but now that its 64 bit you shouldn't need Dx11. See that the original post is from 2015.

In my case I do, as I'm using a build of KS3P and Scatterer that require it.

3 hours ago, purpleivan said:
9 hours ago, Nightside said:

Textures Unlimited fixes this, even if you don't use its other features.

I'll take a look at it then.

Thats what i was trying to tell you... install Textures Unlimited...

On 7/2/2019 at 12:55 PM, Stone Blue said:

Edited by Stone Blue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.