Forcing DirectX11: 40% memory reduction!

Captain Sierra

Thought i'd leave this bit of data here:

Memory used (gb), measured in taskmanager and gpu-z. Loaded the same savegame and measured at the point where all the buildings are displayed.

ksp.exe:

ram: 2.59

gpu ram: 0.48

with forced d11:

ram: 1.92

gpu ram: 1.48

Interesting to see that the graphics card utilizes a whole gig more of its ram in dx11 mode.

My machine has 4gb ram and my gfx card has 2gb ram

Could you show us results with OpenGL? That's a quite interesting (and explainable) tradeoff.

Could you show us results with OpenGL? That's a quite interesting (and explainable) tradeoff.

Too busy flying to Dres atm XD, perhaps i repeat all 3 tests tomorrow to get comparable numbers (my setting was kinda random)

I invite everyone to get gpu-z and do the test (sensors tab in gpu-z shows "memory used") and post their respective video/main ram figures so we get a general idea.

Aside from the squiggly fonts, my craft also turn pink during re-entry (no heat effects showing either) and the parachute chords chop through other textures, sort of. Hard to explain really. Like two radial chutes on the side of a command pod with a mk16 on top, the mk16 cords (the entire V not just the individual chords) block out the other chutes. Over water, the V removes some sort of filter, leaving the water darker and not quite as, well, filtered?

On the flip side, memory was indeed reduced by almost half. Performance overall didn't really seem any better though.

DirectX11 was good enough, but Ike and Gilly was totally black if I was near the surface. OpenGL rendered these bodies, but surface of Eve seemed like badly overexposed photo. That -nosinglethread took as much memory as default settings.

Then I installed Linux and now I wonder why I did not make it months ago. Everything works perfectly (so far, I have not been everywhere yet). I do not have to care about memory even I installed several gigabytes of graphics enhanced mods (I have 16 GB, even memory leaks can not use all that during couple of hours gaming session). Only problem is that I have some self made help programs which are hard (for me) to port to Linux and sometimes I made some other things with Windows at the same time I played KSP.

• 1 month later...
DirectX11 was good enough, but Ike and Gilly was totally black if I was near the surface. OpenGL rendered these bodies, but surface of Eve seemed like badly overexposed photo. That -nosinglethread took as much memory as default settings.

Then I installed Linux and now I wonder why I did not make it months ago. Everything works perfectly (so far, I have not been everywhere yet). I do not have to care about memory even I installed several gigabytes of graphics enhanced mods (I have 16 GB, even memory leaks can not use all that during couple of hours gaming session). Only problem is that I have some self made help programs which are hard (for me) to port to Linux and sometimes I made some other things with Windows at the same time I played KSP.

I'm also using DX11 to play and I have the same issues with Minmus. I tried to force a few settings in my Nvidia control pannel but it didnt help.

I even tried to run KSP on Linux (Ubuntu 14.10) today but the performance there was worse than Windows OpenGL :(

Hannu, which distribution are you using? If it's another one, maybe I have more luck on there :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just going to hang on for Unity 5 I think - I have enough exposure to unix as it is.

I removed ATM completely & saved about 400MB - TextureReplacer dumps about 1GB of textures out of main memory on load, presumably once they're offloaded to VRAM; ATM wasn't actually doing anything at all ( I wasn't running any size reduction modes ).

Been trying to fix Minmus but it doesn't appear to be a simple issue - I've actually managed to get it visible about 30km from surface but only at a narrow range of camera angles. I'm thinking that maybe just saving the surface info off & creating an entirely new planet might be the answer...

That Minmus thing is your video card interacting with dx11. Not too much you can do about it, I had the same problems and have switched to opengl

What do you mean by an "interaction"? There is no special interaction that causes these bugs. It's just Unity and some lighting/tessellation-related bug.

Well, there are two forced Dx11 commandline arguments: -force-d3d11 and -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded

The first one gives good memory reduction, but very bad Z-fighting and terribad and I mean really terrible fps!

The second one gives no z-fighting and really good fps! Much better than Dx9. But the no-singlethreaded option has no impact on memory reduction.

For me it has come to such point I hardly, and I know I'm a new ksp player, play this game atm. All because of the extremely bad optimizations. If I had to write a review at this moment...well better get your Prozacs.

Well, there are two forced Dx11 commandline arguments: -force-d3d11 and -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded

The first one gives good memory reduction, but very bad Z-fighting and terribad and I mean really terrible fps!

The second one gives no z-fighting and really good fps! Much better than Dx9. But the no-singlethreaded option has no impact on memory reduction.

For me it has come to such point I hardly, and I know I'm a new ksp player, play this game atm. All because of the extremely bad optimizations. If I had to write a review at this moment...well better get your Prozacs.

Seriously what do you do to the game to make it use so much memory? I use a lot of mods and it sits fine at 3.2gb.

If you wrote a review on poor memory usage, it would be pointless. There is a hard limitt o how much memory you need when you play a physics based modded game. If your game isn't modded, you will not use too much memory.

Stock KSP has severe memory leaks - made worse by frequently scene switches when you are running multiple missions. Plus there are the times when KSP suddenly decides to allocate a few hundred MB of RAM, which can frequently crash the game due to exceeding the 3.5-3.7GB limit on 32bit.

0.90 should have been followed up by a bug-fix release, instead they're pressing on to release 1.0.

I have to resort to OpenGL mode in order to get enough free memory to play for more then an hour due to the memory leaks.

I have never, ever, ever had a memory leak that's made me crash not caused by mods.

I've had two out of memory crashes, caused by the same mod. My own.

There are many people who say they have a lot of memory leaks, and there are many that say they've had very very few or none at all. It's very strange.

That's because -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded doesn't do anything at all. If I run just that flag the head of my log file looks like this:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12)
RAM: 12227
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (3051MB)
SM: 30 (Direct3D 9.0c [aticfx32.dll 8.17.10.1333]) <<-- NOTE THAT.

If it's actually in DX11 mode that line would be this: SM: 50 (Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0])

In the Unity docs it's listed as an option for Windows Store apps which don't have commandline arguments, so I guess it's specific to those builds.

There's memory leaks near planet surfaces, changing scene and most definitely in the SPH/VAB. I can run for hours in space and crash out in 10 mins trying to build a craft if I'm in and out of the buildings a lot. I have GCMonitor up all the time, I can watch memory use tick up every update while I'm in the VAB...

That's because -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded doesn't do anything at all. If I run just that flag the head of my log file looks like this:

Well shoot me. That explains, I added the latter a month ago and never noticed this when I changed to -no-singlethreaded as I also ran with -nolog after I solved most of my mod related issues.

Too bad, the normal force d3d11 (also for opengl) gives a too bad performance hit compared to d3d9. It's a catch 22 between fps and memory reduction..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.