KSP unmanned launch question

If all you have is the Stayputnik, then unlocking the next ones gives you the ability to hit T to turn on SAS. The ones after that will progressively allow you more control options (I particularly like the first one, ability to hold prograde and retrograde).

The QBE is nice because it's light. You can clip it into a command pod and then a scientist or engineer can fly like a level 1 pilot.

After that it's more to do with how they look than what they can do, really.

Unmanned technology (or just probes for short) are great for ... well ... space probes.

Higher levels of cores basically get pilot abilities much like leveled up Kerbals get. So they can hold maneuver nodes, prograde, retrograde, target etc.

Some of the higher ones also weigh less or require less power so they all come with their own little bennifits.

Personally, I use probes ALLOT. Literally every mission I send to anywhere is preceded by about 4 probes or so wich I scan the planet or moon in question with. They're also great for satellites and such obviously since you wouldn't wanna put a Kerbal in space on satellite duty.

Edit: Ninja'd!

But yea ... Like the previous poster said higher level probes have SAS capabilities. Some of the later and bigger ones also come with reaction wheels so presuming the craft you build is small enough they don't need dedicated reaction wheels or RCS to turn on their own.

I find that the probe cores are able to hold position on a navball marking (prograde/retrograde, etc) much better than they do on any random spot where I've hit T. It's nice to have one that can hold normal when you're trying to put a satellite into a particular orbit and its apses are already more or less correct. I agree with 5thHorseman that it's largely asthetics though - that's what most of the parts in the game wind up being in the long run.

Different probe cores have quite different capabilities now. They all have different levels of SAS functionality, and several have much lighter mass than their peers, at the expense of not having internal torque.

Lighter ones for example hold a mass advantage in situations where they do not need torque, or where torque already exists, such as controlling unmanned rescue craft, as the control unit on a rover, or on a ship flown by a non-pilot to give them SAS.

On the other hand, cores with low torque are easy to control satellites and probes with.

I have to admit though, that I tend to stick with Stayputnik and the QBE.

Suborbital Contract Flights are possible using the Stayputnik. But only, if the rocket it sits on is naturally stable. You will have no other control over the flight other then staging and throttle.

Once you can unlock the Probododyne OKTO, you will have the ability to fly contracts requiring flight control. With the OX Stat Panels and a Too Hot thermometer, you can send one way unmanned missions to fulfill the Explore Mun, etc... contracts.

What are the advantages of doing so? Lower cost due to the ability to use lighter launch vehicles as well as only needing to do one way missions to fulfill the Explore contracts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.