Random Ship/Sattelite namer?

Spades_Neil

Just don't try naming each of them creatively. Go with functionality and simplicity using a format, cause when you have over 50 of them in orbit, things get confusing fast when you need to keep track of them. Name them in a way that you know where they are, what they are, and why they are there.

Edited by RainDreamer

I'm usually pretty uncreative with my ship names.

ComSat-A

ComSat-B

ComSat-C

ComSat-D

ComSat-E

ComSat-F

MunSat-A

MunSat-B

MunScan-A

MunScan-B

MunScan-D

MinScan-A

MinScan-B

SS Alpha (Mun space station; was originally in LKO and got towed to the Mun)

SS Beta (LKO space station)

SS Delta (Minmus space station)

SpaceBus 2 (crew transfer to/from LKO; SpaceBus 1 was a deathtrap)

MunBus (crew transfer between space stations)

In a previous game I sent a lot of probes, and had various revisions of those probes as science progressed. So I had names like:

Probulator 2: Duna

Probulator 2: Ike

Probulator 3.5: Moho

Probulator 3.5: Moho 2

Probulator 3.5: Moho 3

Probulator 4: Jool

Probulator 4: Jool 2: The Joolening

(okay that last one was a bit silly)

Well, I try to be creative when naming craft models, because that helps me remember what each model does, but when I need to keep track of all the stuff in all the orbits, I need something that works.

My format for stuff in orbit is: [initials of orbiting body]-[coded purpose of craft]-[craft model name]-[#of copy if there are more than one in orbit].

For example: K-RB-Whisper-4. That name tells me it is the 4th Whisper model relay beacon orbiting kerbin. Or, Mu-Ldr-Mushroom, telling me it is a Mushroom model lander orbiting Mun.

For craft in very long transit, I simply change the [initials of orbiting body] to [initials of destination/Initials of origin]. For example: D/Mu - ASDV - Dandelion. This tell me this is a Dandelion model automated satellite deployment vehicle heading to Duna from Mun.

Realistic spaceship names. Not fantasy ones. I already Googled this...

Just don't try naming each of them creatively. Go with functionality and simplicity using a format, cause when you have over 50 of them in orbit, things get confusing fast when you need to keep track of them. Name them in a way that you know where they are, what they are, and why they are there.
I'm usually pretty uncreative with my ship names.

ComSat-A

ComSat-B

ComSat-C

ComSat-D

ComSat-E

ComSat-F

MunSat-A

MunSat-B

MunScan-A

MunScan-B

MunScan-D

MinScan-A

MinScan-B

SS Alpha (Mun space station; was originally in LKO and got towed to the Mun)

SS Beta (LKO space station)

SS Delta (Minmus space station)

SpaceBus 2 (crew transfer to/from LKO; SpaceBus 1 was a deathtrap)

MunBus (crew transfer between space stations)

In a previous game I sent a lot of probes, and had various revisions of those probes as science progressed. So I had names like:

Probulator 2: Duna

Probulator 2: Ike

Probulator 3.5: Moho

Probulator 3.5: Moho 2

Probulator 3.5: Moho 3

Probulator 4: Jool

Probulator 4: Jool 2: The Joolening

(okay that last one was a bit silly)

Well, I try to be creative when naming craft models, because that helps me remember what each model does, but when I need to keep track of all the stuff in all the orbits, I need something that works.

My format for stuff in orbit is: [initials of orbiting body]-[coded purpose of craft]-[craft model name]-[#of copy if there are more than one in orbit].

For example: K-RB-Whisper-4. That name tells me it is the 4th Whisper model relay beacon orbiting kerbin. Or, Mu-Ldr-Mushroom, telling me it is a Mushroom model lander orbiting Mun.

For craft in very long transit, I simply change the [initials of orbiting body] to [initials of destination/Initials of origin]. For example: D/Mu - ASDV - Dandelion. This tell me this is a Dandelion model automated satellite deployment vehicle heading to Duna from Mun.

These posts are much more helpful. I especially like the last one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.