ResetSAS [DEPRECATED]

technicalfool

Another little micro-mod. This one adjusts stock KSP behaviour so that when you re-engage SAS, it flicks to stability-assist mode instead of whatever mode you had it on last.

Apparently some people don't like the default behaviour, and would rather it work like this. Well, this mod is for them.

The Curseforge project page.

The alternative download.

The Source.

MIT-licensed. License included in zip, github and curseforge project pages. Installation the same as every other mod. Just unzip into GameData.

May it prove useful!

Thanks, I was actually going to figure out how to do this one myself if nobody else did.

I think the ideal behavior would be slightly different, though. When you toggle SAS on, it should always turn on in stability assist mode. If you use the momentary button, it should stay in whatever mode it was in last.

The idea is that I have SAS toggle as a button on my joystick, but I also have momentary SAS bound to the pinky switch. With SAS enabled, the pinky switch works as an autopilot override (as in nearly every US Air Force jet). The override shouldn't change the SAS mode.

I think what i really want is a button bind for stability mode.

Thanks, I was actually going to figure out how to do this one myself if nobody else did.

I think the ideal behavior would be slightly different, though. When you toggle SAS on, it should always turn on in stability assist mode. If you use the momentary button, it should stay in whatever mode it was in last.

Hah, problem is I don't think there is a way of telling that, unless one of the devs or another modder wants to tell me how horribly wrong I am. There's not even a GameEvent that fires when the user toggles (or momentary-toggles) SAS, that I can see. I'm basically doing a check on whether SAS is enabled every frame, and running the reset code if Vessel.Autopilot.Enabled = true this frame and it was false last frame.

The idea is that I have SAS toggle as a button on my joystick, but I also have momentary SAS bound to the pinky switch. With SAS enabled, the pinky switch works as an autopilot override (as in nearly every US Air Force jet). The override shouldn't change the SAS mode.

I think what i really want is a button bind for stability mode.

This has potential. However it's half past Midnight, so it ain't happening today.

• 2 weeks later...

Great concept, but will this reset the SAS when I tap "F"? If so I'm sure to find it frustrating (I frequently tap "F" after turning so that the SAS doesn't wiggle around for a few seconds making up its mind whether or not to point where I wanted), so is it possible to release a version of this with a time delay or that only resets when SAS has been disengaged with "T"?

Great concept, but will this reset the SAS when I tap "F"? If so I'm sure to find it frustrating (I frequently tap "F" after turning so that the SAS doesn't wiggle around for a few seconds making up its mind whether or not to point where I wanted), so is it possible to release a version of this with a time delay or that only resets when SAS has been disengaged with "T"?

At the moment it will. I can't find, and haven't been told, of any way of telling an SAS toggle apart from an SAS override. If there is, I'll happily recode it to ignore SAS overrides. The time delay is a nice idea, if I can find a time period that works well.

Also Flashcactus, it should be on CKAN as of yesterday when the CKAN guys got around to the pull request.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, I can definitely make use out of that. It'll certainly make stopping the SAS from shaking the crap out of my ships easier.

As a side note, does anyone know why the SAS acts like the 0.20.2 version SAS when on vector locking?

If you use just torque it should work well. If you add RCS or fins, the new vector locking doesn't work. It seems to estimate the amount of movement a particular trim will impart based upon reaction wheels only.

If you use just torque it should work well. If you add RCS or fins, the new vector locking doesn't work. It seems to estimate the amount of movement a particular trim will impart based upon reaction wheels only.

Unless the new SAS modes are a whole lot smarter than the standard one (very very slight possibility, they do run on a seperate system), nada. Stock SAS doesn't do any estimation of how much control authority it has, reaction wheels or anything else.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.