[1.0.2] KIS/EVA Portable Science Container and Transmitter v1.3

Zorbaq

What about different kinds of packs?

Like maybe one that allows a Kerbal to clean out science experiments? (Advanced dishwasher pack. I have a degree in Chemistry and my girlfriend refers to it as "advanced dishwashing")

Or would give a lower-level engineer the ability to do something a higher engineer would normally be able to do such as repair a wheel or not at all like maybe a solar panel?

These could have a limited number of uses if that seems best.

What about different kinds of packs?

Like maybe one that allows a Kerbal to clean out science experiments? (Advanced dishwasher pack. I have a degree in Chemistry and my girlfriend refers to it as "advanced dishwashing")

Or would give a lower-level engineer the ability to do something a higher engineer would normally be able to do such as repair a wheel or not at all like maybe a solar panel?

These could have a limited number of uses if that seems best.

Advanced dishwashing? :) I like it.

I had an idea for a set of profession-specific backpacks/gizmos but there are certain technical hurdles to overcome. For instance a toolbox that boosts an engineer's skill that also allows for tweaking persistent values of parts. A portable experiment cleaner is also under consideration :) However, I'd rather avoid modifying stock parts (i. e. patching stock part modules) to accommodate those ideas.

So, what about adding some science things in the backpack ?

Surely, we can attach some termometers/gravity things to it by using the KAS, but then they detached(and sometimes exploded), if we drop backpack for put-in/collect science.

Edited by Narval

So, what about adding some science things in the backpack ?

Surely, we can attach some termometers/gravity things to it by using the KAS, but then they detached(and sometimes exploded), if we drop backpack for put-in/collect science.

Probably not going to happen (maybe except for the thermometer), since the scope of the pack is to aid you in your scientific endeavors and not to replace those devices.

Edited by Zorbaq

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Zorbaq, I've been getting an exception from this which I thought was harmless, but it's apparently worrying Alista (of the hangar mod) more than the bunch of exceptions from B9, while I haven't had any problems I don't think. Maybe you could look into this?

VT_FSPackPlugin v1.2 starting up!

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

File 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/..//GameData/VerneTech/FieldScientistPack/VT_FSPack_Settings.cfg' does not exist

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\VerneTech\FieldScientistPack\VT_FSPack_Settings.cfg".
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.File.Open (System.String path, FileMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName, System.String header) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at VT_FSPack.Settings.Save () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at VT_FSPack.Settings.Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at VT_FSPack.VT_FSPackPlugin.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

I've used the part myself and it works, so, I don't know what the error is.

* storing the FSE in a KAS-enabled storage will delete all experiments/data currently in the FSE

Nice mod!

I'm curious; why delete the experiments/data upon storing? What if they're doing a sample-return mission? Isn't some science is worth less if transmitted (Pls correct me if wrong)?

Thx!

Hey Zorbaq, I've been getting an exception from this which I thought was harmless, but it's apparently worrying Alista (of the hangar mod) more than the bunch of exceptions from B9, while I haven't had any problems I don't think. Maybe you could look into this?

VT_FSPackPlugin v1.2 starting up!

File 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/..//GameData/VerneTech/FieldScientistPack/VT_FSPack_Settings.cfg' does not exist

IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\VerneTech\FieldScientistPack\VT_FSPack_Settings.cfg".
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.File.Open (System.String path, FileMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName, System.String header) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at VT_FSPack.Settings.Save () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at VT_FSPack.Settings.Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at VT_FSPack.VT_FSPackPlugin.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

I've used the part myself and it works, so, I don't know what the error is.

Looks like it's from version 1.2 of my plugin. I recommend updating to 1.2.1, it fixed a bunch of things (my bad, I forgot to mention the fixes on the first page of the thread)

Nice mod!

I'm curious; why delete the experiments/data upon storing? What if they're doing a sample-return mission? Isn't some science is worth less if transmitted (Pls correct me if wrong)?

Thx!

Thankee! Glad you like it :)

Storing the FSE in a container destroys the data held inside because of the way how KAS handles stored items. I'm afraid I cannot help here. However, nothing prevents you from sticking the backpack onto your vessel or transferring the data to your command pod. Either way all data is collected upon vessel recovery.

Well, I downloaded it yesterday from the link in the first post, so, wouldn't that be the latest?

Although I may not actually have done that after I decided to do a fresh reinstall of KSP and installed the mods, and I MAY have used an older file. Will check on that when I get back home later.

Well, I downloaded it yesterday from the link in the first post, so, wouldn't that be the latest?

Although I may not actually have done that after I decided to do a fresh reinstall of KSP and installed the mods, and I MAY have used an older file. Will check on that when I get back home later.

Curiously enough, the "latest" downloaded version indeed reports in as 1.2 and not 1.2.1...

Hold your horses, this calls for some tidying up! :)

UPDATE: Done and done. Please redownload and replace all files when extracting.

Edited by Zorbaq

A little question though, do I need to put the vernetech folder into gamedata or can I just go put the field scientist pack folder thats within that, into the gamedata?

Going to put the vernetech root folder in this time. I'm just wondering because most modders usually have either the mod name as the first folder or have a gamedata and the files in that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm just checking in to see if a 1.0 update is coming (with KIS compatability?). This is practically vital to my career saves now.

An update is in the works, I just need to familiarize with how KIS manages attached props (I really like to stick with the idea of a backpack that can be carried on kerbals' back and glued to various ship parts the old KAS-way)

This is a very intiguing mod. I plan on getting KIS/KAS (have KAS for the 0.90 install) and this would make munwalking not only less tedious but also more true to life as we know it, Jim. Also, I am happy to see the antenna range is limited when used with RT. 10km, sounds just about perfectly balanced to me. Another mod on my radar, this one.

I think the interaction with the new small cargo/service bays will be key. Keep them out of the airflow. On what I have experienced so far, maybe some sort of rack, holding two or three backpacks, would ease vehicle assembly and use, but that could be complicated.

They tried a hand-cart on Apollo 14. Oversized backpacks feel more in the Kerbal style, and how would you make a handcart "work" visually?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.