[1.0.2] KIS/EVA Portable Science Container and Transmitter v1.3

Zorbaq

Updated for KSP 1.0.2 and transitioned from KAS to KIS.

Known issue: After transmitting experiment data via the FSE's antenna, dropping the FSE without UNEQUIPPING it first will result in experiment data duplication in the FSE. In other words: UNEQUIP, RE-EQUIP each time after you Transmit your collected Data.

Also please notice that Kerbal Stuff download says KAS Portable Science Container instead of KIS Portable Science Container because I still haven't figured out how to change the name of the mod on Kerbal Stuff :-/

Edited by Zorbaq

This is a fun mod, thanks!

One small thing, though; I had to flip your texture top-to-bottom before it would display correctly. I've recently run into this problem converting a few older KSP mods from .tga to .dds. After the conversion the mapping is flipped upside-down. I've worked as a professional game artist for almost 15 years and I've never seen a problem swapping from TGAs to DDSs before now, so I don't have a clue why it happens, but just flip your texture and it'll be fine.

This is a fun mod, thanks!

One small thing, though; I had to flip your texture top-to-bottom before it would display correctly. I've recently run into this problem converting a few older KSP mods from .tga to .dds. After the conversion the mapping is flipped upside-down. I've worked as a professional game artist for almost 15 years and I've never seen a problem swapping from TGAs to DDSs before now, so I don't have a clue why it happens, but just flip your texture and it'll be fine.

Pro tip! Thanks! :)

I would add a ModuleManager file - but I am not sure about the second part, because I think it will create a second ScienceContainer?

As I do not know, if I can simply add AntennaRange parameters (most likely not) or change VT_ModuleScienceContainer back to ModuleScienceContainer (not knowing why it uses its own module in the first place - restriction to scientists (only)?), I am at a loss right now.

The problem as I see it is that RemoteTech looks for a direct connection while AntennaRange stores packages until another antenna comes into range ... or something like that ...

@PART[VT_FSPack]:FOR[AntennaRange]:NEEDS[!RemoteTech2]
{
@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
{
@name = ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter
nominalRange = 10000
maxPowerFactor = 2
maxDataFactor = 2
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceContainer

dataIsCollectable = true
dataIsStorable = false

storageRange = 2
}
}

...(not knowing why it uses its own module in the first place - restriction to scientists (only)?)...

You are correct. I saw no other way to add logic to an existing class. However, I have very little knowledge of the inner workings of C#, so I'd welcome any constructive criticism ;)

Well, the pack seems to work with AntennaRange with this config added - but how do I grab it?

I installed KIS, but I cannot pick it up from my rover - do I have to put it into an inventory?

Edited by KerbMav

Well, the pack seems to work with AntennaRange with this config added - but how do I grab it?

I installed KIS, but I cannot pick it up from my rover - do I have to put it into an inventory?

Correct again :)

KIS works a tad differently than KAS and you will need a tool to dismount it from a surface.

I am wondering if this should be under EVA items instead of Science, since all the other science gear in there is meant to be mounted on ships and this is best used as an inventory item. It also helps me remember to pack one some my Kerbalina's can do some some heavy science-ing when she lands.

Quick suggestion : Upon entering a command/utility pod, could can there be a button to re-charge the science pack? Much like how the EVA propellant part can be recharged upon entering a pod.

I am wondering if this should be under EVA items instead of Science, since all the other science gear in there is meant to be mounted on ships and this is best used as an inventory item. It also helps me remember to pack one some my Kerbalina's can do some some heavy science-ing when she lands.

I was wondering this myself, but dismissed the idea since no one suggested it... till now. :) I am also considering moving the FSE to somewhere earlier in the tech tree.

Quick suggestion : Upon entering a command/utility pod, could can there be a button to re-charge the science pack? Much like how the EVA propellant part can be recharged upon entering a pod.

Good idea, I'll take a look how it's done with the EVA tank.

It has a tiny little generator on it right?

Could you explain the warning that you mention in the OP? What happens? Relevent part here:

Versions 1.3+

* are for KSP 1.0+

* require Kerbal Inventory System to function properlyhttp://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mod...ory-system-kis

* make sure you UNEQUIP and then RE-EQUIP the FSE (right click on its icon in the kerbal's inventory screen) after every data transmission with its built-in antenna (you have been warned!)

Also, looking forward to an antenna animation! It'll be a nice visual indicator to see that things are working and transmitting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.