[1.0.2] KIS/EVA Portable Science Container and Transmitter v1.3

Zorbaq

Could you explain the warning that you mention in the OP? What happens? Relevent part here: (...)

KIS currently doesn't handle science containers correctly, though I suspect the problem is limited to this specific instance, that is: a part with a science container module and data transmiter module. When you transmit your data, the backpack's inventory counter-part doesn't get updated to reflect this, and you end up with the backpack still storing the experiment (you can check this yourself by hovering your mouse on the backpack in the kerbal's inventory screen). If you DROP the backpack now, it will contain a duplicate of the experiment you just sent. This doesn't occur if you UNEQUIP the backpack first (as this updates the item's state). I notified KospY about the issue but have not received any response yet.

I'd love to have an animated antenna too, alas, my 3d-modelling skills are a tad rusty. :)

Edited by Zorbaq

can you make a backpack for a engeneer and a pilot too? i like this becouse the antenna, maybe a backpack only for inventory, or for tools something like that

maybe a own sience test like "Field sience from Mun Highlands" for the sience backpack

Edited by Shaymes

So the "[VT-FSPack] You are not a scientist. Your Skill Level is 0" being spammed in my debug is normal ?

Silly me, I left the VT_FSPack_Debug set to true in the config file! :confused: Flip it to false. It's in VT_FSPack_Settings.cfg under your GameData\VerneTech\FieldScientistPack directory.

I really love this part. The only trouble is that it has to be placed on the ground, or more commonly my kerbal's head to store experiments. Is this normal or is my installation an issue?

I should try that, every time I try to place it on the ground the damn thing explodes.

• 2 weeks later...

I get some weirdness with those backpacks. I put two of them on a Mobile Lab, and send it all as part of science station in Mun orbit. Problem is, despite being on the nice, cool surface of the Mo-Lab both backpacks are yellowish hot, and do not cool down at all. It's like they are unable to radiate or conduct heat away in any way.

Not sure it it is me or the mod, but ... The pack is overheating from launch pad and never changed temperature. It is stored into Universal Storage Science part (empty cargo) The heat never went up or down in space.

QPJHdEW.jpg

Not sure it it is me or the mod, but ... The pack is overheating from launch pad and never changed temperature. It is stored into Universal Storage Science part (empty cargo) The heat never went up or down in space.

http://i.imgur.com/QPJHdEW.jpg

Hiya, guy who made the part here :) It's likely that the mod hasn't been updated to use post-KSP 1.0 heat information in its .cfg file, and the game is getting confused and overheating it. At work at the moment so I cant check, but thats my best guess.

Hiya, guy who made the part here :) It's likely that the mod hasn't been updated to use post-KSP 1.0 heat information in its .cfg file, and the game is getting confused and overheating it. At work at the moment so I cant check, but thats my best guess.

Is there a way to fix it myself or I should wait an update ? My guess is probably the battery make it heat up a bit. It is not game breaking, but a bit annoying for the eye.

Is there a way to fix it myself or I should wait an update ? My guess is probably the battery make it heat up a bit. It is not game breaking, but a bit annoying for the eye.

I'll give it a go. Make sure to backup or recover any craft that include the pack before making this edit. Things may get deleted automatically and ruin your day if KSP detects a part has changed its physical attributes mid-flight. Fair warning :)

Add

bulkheadProfiles = size1, srf

below the "PhysicsSignificance" line in the part.cfg file. Then up the maxTemp value to 1200. The part.cfg file is located in "KSP Directory\GameData\VerneTech\FieldScientistPack\parts\FSPack\part.cfg". Open it with notepad.

If its exploding when dropped, increase its resilience by altering the "crashTolerance" value to 15 or so. This means it now needs to hit the ground in excess of 15 meters a second before exploding.

Tested it ok on my end - but let me know if it works.

Possibly just temperature change would've fixed it, but I added this line as well. Worked nice (no more temp warning).

I have not changed the crash tolerance. Just need to be extra careful when landing on Eve ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm using 1.0.5 and have both KAS and KIS installed. I put a rover together and am outside of the KSC testing this. My scientist has a a drill and a wrench in his inventory but when I G click the backback I get this error: Tool is needed. When Itry to equip a tool I get this error: Item can only be used by a Kerbal with a Repair Skill. My scientist is 1 Star. help?

• 1 month later...

So, I have the latest version, 1.3.0 (if you have the KerbalStuff Torrent it can be found at: zorbaq_6084/KAS_Portable_Science_Container), but I have no way to redistribute it, because his license is kind of bad.

Licence Info:
    You are free to use and modify this content for personal use.
    You may create and distribute module manager files and part.cfg files referencing this work.
    You may publish and distribute, screen shots, images and videos featuring this work.
    You may not publish, share or redistribute the contents of this mod without the author's permission.

The thing is, before I actually bothered to check the license (I assumed erroneously it would be run of the mill) I decided, for my own personal use, to bring this mod up to date for 1.0.5 and then some. I incorporated a number of the fixes and suggestions mentioned in this thread. I also entirely removed the need for the plugin he wrote - not sure why there was a need for it in the first place, but KIS  should be able to provide all of its functionality now (might have been different back then).

I had intended on basically gutting the mod and re-releasing it (keeping the model/texture and replacing everything else), but looking at the license now, I can't do that. However, all of my work is in the part.cfg and accompanying MM patches, which looks like I can redistribute. But the thing is, if you can't download the original model/textures any more (although you can still download the EVA-X backpack, which is the same as this backpack, but white, not yellow), and I've had to redo the entire part config, and I'll have to redo the compatibility patches to be compliant with the license, that begs the question: is it even the same mod anymore?

I still have some testing to do before I can declare all things in working order and feature complete (basic functionality is there, I just need to figure out some KIS stuff). I might also include a patch with the "ScienceContainers" mod by SirDragon/DMagic. But looking at all of the above, an actual release is looking less and less likely. I might just detail my steps and/or make a basic MM patch that makes the relevant changes for the few people who still have a copy of this mod. I could also do a conversion/clone config for the EVA-X. This is all turning into more work than I'd like:(.

Although, I suppose if an enterprising individual knew of a backpack model that was already public domain...

Note on EVA-X: The EVA-X Backpack, from which the Science Pack is derived, is part of the Universal Storage mod, which as it turns out, has an even more restrictive "All Rights Reserved" license on models/textures.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

• 1 month later...

KIS can replicate the functionality of this mod?  I'm desperate for a way to store science on small rovers and I was using the field scientist's pack up until 1.1.  If I could add some kind of module from KIS to a probe core or something that would be great!

1 hour ago, Promii said:

KIS can replicate the functionality of this mod?  I'm desperate for a way to store science on small rovers and I was using the field scientist's pack up until 1.1.  If I could add some kind of module from KIS to a probe core or something that would be great!

Well you've got the hard drives from Tarsier Space Telescopes that can store science while on EVA and the part can be put on anything.  This is a bit limited though because you'll have limited space but if you like the realism of data management this will do it well.

If you use either ForScience! or Automated Science Sampler they both contain automatic moving of data to command units be it pod, rover or probe core.  These have the downside of destroying immersion with the automatic science retrieval that is their core function.  These do have the nice perk of automatically moving the data to the command unit without your interaction of any kind.

You can also you Ship Manifest to move science around between containers at will so long as you turn off the realism mode.

All of the above will work in 1.1.x but the best ones I've found (besides the field pack) is...last but not least and unfortunately not working atm...

If you have any coding experience or can find someone to help out and have the time (I sure wish I did :( ) then the Science Containers mod from SirDargon has a permissive license that would allow it to be updated but he will no longer be doing so.  It gives the ability to not only store experiments via the right click menu in any command enabled part but also gives you the capability of shifting the science between parts also via the right click menu even to the point of being able to shift the data onto any kerbal.  The nicest feature of this mod is it's ability to store duplicate results.  This lets you run those repeatable experiments that only give partial science for each run allowing you to completely obtain all science for any given experiment/biome combination.  

SirDargon also has his new project that spin off of  Science Containers called Science Hard Drives, but it is neither finished, nor in any working form. However, it is not dead just behind schedule.  You can read more about that in the development thread if you want to follow it.

Hope this helps!

Edited by rasta013
Oops...links

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.