Editing the part categories in VAB

I know there are mods for customizing but can anyone tell me if this is possible?

I want to remove things that mods add to the stock categories, and put them in new categories. For example - moving the red boxes to a new tab where the blue box is. (see below)

N1ZRua.png

You can't quite do exactly what you're after, but if you click the little arrow in the top left, that'll open advanced mode with which you can add custom categories, which allows you to have 2 level categorization (e.g. "Space station parts" { "solar panels", "docking ports", etc }). The UI for it is a bit clunky but hopefully that'll improve in future versions :).

You add parts to the categories by first creating the category, then going into the standard parts list and clicking the little + icon that appears in the top right corner of every part... one at a time. It's quite tedious, but fortunately you only ever need to do this once. If memory serves, the information is stored in GameData/Squad/PartsList/PartCategories.cfg (can't check for sure though ;.;)

Edited by armagheddonsgw

Hmmm. Surely there must be a way to create a new category.

Yes, in the advanced mode like I said. It's the huge + button in the left hand pane; you pick an icon, give it a name, click the big green tick to confirm :). It will only show your custom category in the advanced tab though, but since that's where subassemblies now reside, you want it open most of the time anyway :D.

EDIT: A screenshot I dug up from google (can't run the game on this computer - my other one's broken):

sBqMgMx.jpg

That + button at the bottom of the list.

Edited by armagheddonsgw

I found and fell in love with a mod a few days ago that does what you want: Filter Extensions

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104231-0-90-Filter-Extensions-1-13-%28Jan-8%29

It uses .cfg files to categorize parts. The mod maker's GitHub documentation page is very well done and I have made two custom filters so far (hint: use the checks for in game part names, aka titles to group parts from several different mods). The mod maker has already made some nice filters for some specific mods including B9, KW, Umbra Space Industries. The maker also made a filter for just stock Squad parts - not even the NASA mission parts are included in this group, although you might be able to modify the .cfg file if you wanted it that way.

Edited by neamerjell

I found and fell in love with a mod a few days ago that does what you want: Filter Extensions

Strictly speaking that mod just makes it easier to use the stock functionality (and adds a few new icons and such), but none the less it's a great help. :D

Edited by armagheddonsgw

in 0.25 there was a category value listed in the parts cfg file but you couldn't just create a new one and it would appear as an extra icon in the VAB - you could move them from one to the other though. I'm not sure if its still there in 0.90 though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.