Nous Somme Charlie

Grover

A thread to express your feelings to the situation developing in France following the "islamist" massacre at the Charlie Hebdo office.

Please keep from flaming, in the spirit of free expression if nothing else.

im sure we all extend our deepest regards to the victims and their families. No person deserves to be attacked for their own expression, let alone killed in such a manner.

May they rest in peace, and the culprits brought to justice.

Je suis charlie

nous somme charlie

j'o.s.e.f. j'suis un amoncellement d'atomes, de molecules qui s'agitent, comme tout "être" vivant, avant tout et pour tout !

i m born in France but it's not like it's my own choice just some kind of hazardous fate like everyone that walk on this stupid rock known as earth...

( Patrick Pelloux, charlie staff member, urgency doctor, first media hosted by a journalist "that they kindly liked" -_- )

wOY1O5K.png

VCr9gwP.png

&

old_world_map_2_by_hanciong-d5asm36.png

&

http://www.planetoscope.com/mortalite/22-mortalite---nombre-de-deces-dans-le-monde.html

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
anyway thanks for empathy, and keep smile.

Religious extremism knows no boundaries. It's sad that things like these happen today, and I honestly don't know what to say. At least I'm glad people from all around the world have come together against this.

I'll just quote a reddit post by an ex-muslim, I think it says a lot about this and his message should be spread around:

[spoiler=]

Dear redditor,

I'm writing this in response to the senseless events of the past 2 days.

First, a brief bio:

I used to be a Muslim of over 20 years. My parents come from a country where insulting Islam is punishable by flogging, and leaving it is punishable by death. Though always a skeptic at heart, questioning Islam in my country of origin meant facing persecution at best, and the death penalty at worst.

I've seen beheadings, floggings and beatings in the name of protecting the sanctity of Islam. They're not impressive in the least, and you don't want any of them to transpire a few feet away from you at an impressionable young age. I've seen the effects of Islamic fundamentalism first hand, and how extremely effective it is at stifling an entire civilization from developing into a society that favors reason, rationality and the basic, axiomatic right to express your thoughts and ideas freely, even if they are perceived to be disrespectful, offensive or tasteless.

Through a series of unfortunate events that included loss and bereavement, I've come to terms with calling myself an atheist. I have an Islamic first name, yet I'm as godless as a bagful of decapitated puppies.

The reason why it's frustratingly hard to come out as an atheist and share my identity with the world is the following:

If word goes out and reaches my country of origin that I'm an atheist, I would place my family in harm's way. The reason for this is that even though I'm no longer physically located in the country in question, the government of said country will employ an Italian-mob like strategy wherein they would harass and even harm my family in an attempt to goad me into going back to face the music.

In addition, I'm not even as vocal a critic of Islam as I used to be, because doing so meant adopting a toxic, neurotic mindset wherein I'm constantly looking for things to complain about my former religion, however trivial they may be. I've found this to be a decidedly substandard approach to living, and that it is far more conducive to my well-being to light my past with a torch and move on with my life, rigorously pursuing my own educational and professional aspirations, Islam-free.

In the wake of what happened in France, however, I'll make an exception.

I would like to emphasize the following crucial point that is the reason why I'm making this post:

What the perpetrators of the Charlie Hebdo attack are trying to do is not just stifle freedom of speech, or force an entire continent into a state of terror and trepidation. What they are truly aiming for is far more sinister and diabolical:

They want to make it infinitely, ineffably and irrevocably harder for both Muslims and ex-Muslims to go about their lives peacefully in the countries that they have immigrated to.

They aim to foster an environment that has its foundations firmly rooted in fear and confusion. They hope that such an environment will make for fertile ground for prejudice, bigotry and intolerance to manifest and fester.

Muslims of all walks of life, be they Middle-Eastern, South-East Asian or otherwise, are deathly afraid of the blowback that they might experience through no fault of their own.

I implore you to not give in to the mindset that these fundamentalist thugs want you to succumb to.

If you see a girl wearing a hijab, instead of going "What the hell is she doing in my country? Why won't she go back?", buy her a cup of coffee. Perhaps a slice of cake. Watch what happens.

Do not be surprised if the girl bursts into tears, because your out-of-left-field act of compassion and kindness will be an overwhelming reassurance that she is not subject to misplaced prejudice and unfair bigotry.

If the two schmucks who attacked the Charlie Hebdo HQ were subjected to the sonic barrage of a Ramones tune at an early age, I'd wager that many lives will have been spared, and that we would all go back to extolling the virtues of Pastafarianism instead. Obviously, it's much too late for that. So what am I asking you to do?

This is not an appeal to emotion and compassion for the mere sake of being nice to your fellow human being.

Rather, I'm desperately appealing to reason and civility, concepts that are woefully alien to the perpetrators of the heinous acts of the past 55 hours.

I'm rather short on time, so please feel free to crosspost this to wherever you deem this to be relevant.

Thank you for your time.

If anyone from the Moderation team feels like something in this post was innappropiate, feel free to edit it or take it down or whatever.

Ich bin Charlie.

Wir sind Charlie.

I only wish that no one uses this tragedy as a soapbox for their own political agenda. That would be trampling on the lives lost.

I only wish that people speak up and try to change things politically because of this tragedy - rather than simply spreading twitter slacktivist platitudes and doing nothing else. That would be honouring the lives lost.

Edited by segaprophet

I only wish that no one uses this tragedy as a soapbox for their own political agenda. That would be trampling on the lives lost.

Sadly, that's exactly what's already happening with this tragedy, and it will only cause things to get worse.

Whenever the times are difficult, the worst scum appears with loud "solutions" tailored to fit the most disgusting human feelings. Just watch the news and you'll see. Hopefully, people of France will be smarter than some other dudes decade and a half ago.

I only wish that people speak up and try to change things politically because of this tragedy - rather than simply spreading twitter slacktivist platitudes and doing nothing else. That would be honouring the lives lost.

What I mean by what I said was that I hope people don't use this to further the cause of their far-right agenda, like Nigel Farage's awful comments, which blamed the attacks on immigration.

What I mean by what I said was that I hope people don't use this to further the cause of their far-right agenda, like Nigel Farage's awful comments, which blamed the attacks on immigration.

I know what you meant. However, I'm not going any farther down this road because this thread is already too political and this is not a political forum. You can stand on the left, I'll stand on the right and we can save the nuts and bolts of the conversation for elsewhere.

Edited by segaprophet