[CKAN plugin] Migration Tool v1.1 (alpha) - Clean/ install auto-detected mods

nlight

Note: This is a _plugin_ for CKAN written and provided by me. Is is not supported, promoted or endorsed by the CKAN team or anyone else but me.

Requires CKAN v1.5.6 or higher

This CKAN plugin will try to clean-up and reinstall your auto-detected mods using CKAN. While most mods will be dealt with properly, there are still some issues hence the "alpha" in the post title. Whatever happens the plugin hopefully shouldn't mess up your GameData/ folder.

You can find the tool by going to Settings -> Migration Tool after installing the plugin. If you have many auto-detected mods or mods with complex dependency trees like RealismOverhaul, it's preferable to migrate them one by one and check GameData/ to ensure that everything went smoothly.

esgd9n0.png

To use this you need only two things:

- The latest CKAN version

- The plugin DLL

To install use the "Add new.." button in Settings -> CKAN plugins, or copy the DLL to <KSP_root>/CKAN/Plugins.

The plugin's source can be found in the GitHub repo, everything licensed under the MIT License.

More information on how to develop your own CKAN plugins can be found here.

Known issues

- CKAN crashes while migrating a mod with "InconsistentKraken"

- This happens due to the plugin not handling dependencies very well and will be fixed in a future version. For now just restart ckan.exe and reinstall the mod (which should no longer be AD) manually.

Edited by nlight

This sounds like an amazingly useful tool when dealing with base plugins that mods depend on. The only plugin I have remaining in an Auto-Detected state in CKAN is Module Manager but after using this tool it doesn't seem to affect it as intended. Using CKAN 1.5.6 I run the plugin to migrate Module Manager and the progress bar states that it is installing ModuleManager using CKAN and then reverts to 'Waiting for user'. After closing the dialogue window CKAN refreshes it repository and Module Manager stays in the Auto-Detected state appearing as though the migration has not occurred.

Using:

CKAN 1.5.6

Migration Tool 1.1

Modlist: http://i.imgur.com/37YnIqo.png

Is there any more information I can give to you to to help fix this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Found a problem with roverdudes USI set of mods. They all require USI-Tools, and that is included in the downloads for the various mods, but its not available as a separate download. When you scan gamedata you get a exception that they require it but nothing provides it, then ckan crashes. Since gamedata is rescaned after each operation im unable to migrate any mods :(.

Could you catch these kinds of exceptions and just skip over the mods with problems?

• 1 month later...

CKAN "lost connection" with all my mods after an unfortunate series of eve... who am I kidding I screwed around with the files to much.

This tool just "reconnected" everything it found flawlessly, it did miss some mods but still saved me probably more than half the work! However I'll tell anyone reading this that if you run DDSLoader and have converted everything to .dds you should probably undo that before running the migration tool, I now have a shiny double set of textures for everything since the tool reinstalled the mods and added the files it thought where missing.

This plugin wouldn't be necessary if we could explicitly choose to overwrite an auto-detected mod (with a version downloaded from CKAN), or delete an auto-detected mod. I know you are going for making CKAN as newb friendly as possible, but it's actually hurting your user experience by preventing auto-detected mods from being removed or overwritten. Let me tell you the two major issues I have with this mod which can both be solved by eliminating the need for this plugin:

1. I copy a mod set over from another install. CKAN detects all those mods as auto-detected mods and prevents me from doing anything with them. So in order to use CKAN, I have to delete everything and redownload everything. Even copying over the CKAN directory from the original install isn't enough to avoid this....it still detects all those mods as auto-detected instead of mods installed by CKAN.

2. mods get stuck in CKAN. Right now I'm trying to diagnose problems with my mods, and that requires removing mods. Somehow I got it in a state where CKAN thinks the SmokeScreen plugin is an autodetected mod even though there are no files in my GameData folder for the plugin.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Plugin doesn't seem to work any more :( does anyone know any way to migrate mods easily without it?

I modified my registry.json and installed-default.ckan files to have what I thought were all of the required changes to trick ckan into thinking it had installed modulemanager, and the first time I ran it it did recognize it as its own mod. However, when I let it update modulemanager to 2.6.6 it: deleted the 2.6.5 file, gave an error about dependencies I think, set version 2.6.6 as auto-detected, and refused to let me refresh my mod list until I manually installed 2.6.6.

force-install options pretty-please?

edit: turns out the command line ckan will let you install mods after deleting them, even if they have unhandled dependencies, so just delete the auto-detected mods, and reinstall them with the ckan command line and the ckan gui will usually recognize them :D

Edited by rdswo

Getting this when running. Using kcan 10.3

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Collections.Generic.ICollection`1<System.String> CKAN.Registry.get_InstalledDlls()'.

at MigrationToolPlugin.MigrationToolUI.GetAutodetectedMods()

at MigrationToolPlugin.MigrationToolUI.RefreshModsList()

at MigrationToolPlugin.MigrationToolUI..ctor()

at MigrationToolPlugin.MigrationToolPlugin.menuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

- - - Updated - - -

This plugin wouldn't be necessary if we could explicitly choose to overwrite an auto-detected mod (with a version downloaded from CKAN), or delete an auto-detected mod. I know you are going for making CKAN as newb friendly as possible, but it's actually hurting your user experience by preventing auto-detected mods from being removed or overwritten. Let me tell you the two major issues I have with this mod which can both be solved by eliminating the need for this plugin:

1. I copy a mod set over from another install. CKAN detects all those mods as auto-detected mods and prevents me from doing anything with them. So in order to use CKAN, I have to delete everything and redownload everything. Even copying over the CKAN directory from the original install isn't enough to avoid this....it still detects all those mods as auto-detected instead of mods installed by CKAN.

2. mods get stuck in CKAN. Right now I'm trying to diagnose problems with my mods, and that requires removing mods. Somehow I got it in a state where CKAN thinks the SmokeScreen plugin is an autodetected mod even though there are no files in my GameData folder for the plugin.

Completely agree with this.

• 1 month later...

same as Zapman here -- CKAN.Registry.get_InstalledDlls() seems to be a no-go at some point in the code...

too bad... CKAN is such a great tool, but I got far too many mods installed from "other sources" by now for it to be viable without functionality such as this would have provided

When trying to activate your CKAN plugin I get the following error message:

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Collections.Generic.ICollection`1<System.String> CKAN.Registry.get_InstalledDlls()'.

at MigrationToolPlugin.MigrationToolPlugin.menuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.6.96.0 built by: NETFXREL2STAGE

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

ckan

Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/CKAN/ckan.exe

System.Configuration

Win32 Version: 4.6.79.0 built by: NETFXREL2

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Core

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

Win32 Version: 4.6.93.0 built by: NETFXREL2STAGE

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

Microsoft.GeneratedCode

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

Microsoft.CSharp

Win32 Version: 4.6.79.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll

System.Numerics

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll

System.Dynamic

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll

Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll

System.Transactions

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll

System.Runtime.Serialization

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll

System.Xml.Linq

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll

System.Data

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

System.EnterpriseServices

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll

MigrationToolPlugin

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/CKAN/Plugins/MigrationToolPlugin.dll

PartManagerPlugin

CodeBase: file:///D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/CKAN/Plugins/PartManagerPlugin.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

• 3 months later...
Spoiler
On 15/09/2015 at 2:31 AM, badrobit said:

When trying to activate your CKAN plugin I get the following error message:

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

ckan

Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/CKAN/ckan.exe

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Core

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

System.Xml

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

Win32 Version: 4.6.93.0 built by: NETFXREL2STAGE

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

Microsoft.GeneratedCode

Microsoft.CSharp

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll

System.Numerics

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll

System.Dynamic

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll

Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll

System.Transactions

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll

System.Runtime.Serialization

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll

System.Xml.Linq

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll

System.Data

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

System.EnterpriseServices

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll

MigrationToolPlugin

CodeBase: file:///D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/CKAN/Plugins/MigrationToolPlugin.dll

PartManagerPlugin

CodeBase: file:///D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/CKAN/Plugins/PartManagerPlugin.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Same.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/5/2016 at 11:12 AM, jcddmdad said:

I've been getting a "Error in autoupdate:  the remote server returned an error: (403)  Forbidden.  The program was working just fine earlier in the day.  Did your server go down?  

Same here.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting this on mono:

4417 [1] WARN CKAN.PluginController (null) - Successfully instantiated type "MigrationToolPlugin, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" from MigrationToolPlugin, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.dll
System.MissingMethodException: Method 'Registry.get_InstalledDlls' not found.
  at MigrationToolPlugin.MigrationToolUI.RefreshModsList () <0xaa07918 + 0x0002f> in <filename unknown>:0
  at MigrationToolPlugin.MigrationToolUI..ctor () <0xaa06708 + 0x00077> in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) MigrationToolPlugin.MigrationToolUI:.ctor ()
  at MigrationToolPlugin.MigrationToolPlugin.menuItem_Click (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) <0xaa065b0 + 0x0003b> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.OnClick (System.EventArgs e) <0xaa03410 + 0x00056> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick (System.EventArgs e) <0xaa030e0 + 0x0029b> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.HandleClick (Int32 mouse_clicks, System.EventArgs e) <0xaa03098 + 0x0001b> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent (System.EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met) <0xa795f00 + 0x000b8> in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem:FireEvent (System.EventArgs,System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemEventType)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs mea) <0xaa02e28 + 0x00167> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs mea) <0xaa05830 + 0x00017> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmLButtonUp (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) <0xaa02b10 + 0x00128> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) <0x69d7ee0 + 0x001c3> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) <0x7aedb88 + 0x00017> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) <0x7af2ec8 + 0x00017> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) <0xaa01298 + 0x0003f> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) <0x69d7ec0 + 0x0001d> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) <0x69d7e90 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) <0x69d6a90 + 0x002cb> in <filename unknown>:0

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.