[1.1] AB Launchers 1.2 - 5m Energia parts [22 Apr]

hoojiwana

Myself and @Beale are collaborating on a modular part set for very heavy payloads, based on Energia and its prospective derivatives, using a 5m diameter core and 2.5m diameter boosters.

Download from SpaceDock (1.2)

Download from CurseForge (1.2)

Download from Dropbox (1.2)

Part List

Spoiler

5m

• Tanks of various lengths
  • Tank nosecone
  • Nosecone
  • Decoupler
  • Core stage engine cluster

3.75m

• Nosecone

2.5m

• Tanks of various lengths (mainly those not present in stock)
  • Slanted nosecone (with sepratron built in)
  • Slimline Decoupler
  • High power engine

Adapters

• 5m->3.75m
  • 5m->2.5m

With this part set (and some stock parts) it is possible to recreate your own versions of Energia, Energia-M, Vulkan or Zenit. That doesn't stop you from making anything else you wish using the however, so go crazy!

1.2 Changelog

Spoiler
  • Added search tags
  • Added some missing bulkheadProfiles

On Buran, Polyus and other payloads, nothing is planned right now. Stock Mk3 parts can make a very nice Buran that should look much more to scale with the 5m parts than current 3.75m option with the NASA tanks and engines.
On the pack name, it means "Atomic Bread", because why not?

88x31.png

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

If you like this post, like @Beale's too! He's right down there, the one made of bread.

Release Thread!

Thanks for all the feedback during development!

AB Launchers - 2.5M Parts

My own little corner of development, a set of parts to create the Energia liquid boosters, as well as Zenit-like launch vehicles.

• 18m Tank
  • 9m Tank
  • 4.5m Tank
  • Nosecone
  • Decoupler
  • Main Engine

Edited by Beale

A form of insulation, similar to what you may see in some real rockets:

http://puu.sh/eiL6f/3728132055.jpg

Although, here it is arranged in a brick lattice, rather than grid.

And there's the fact that kerbals do not limit themselves to traditional building material. We've seen wooden rockets before, so why not brick ones?

Thankyou for the very kind words everybody! This little project has been in planning since just before Christmas, so it's wonderful to finally be able to show it off and include all you guys and gals in the development process. I've updated the OP with more information on what parts are planned as well as a few other bits on what will be coming with the pack on release.

On Buran, Polyus and other payloads, nothing is planned right now. Stock Mk3 parts can make a nice Buran that should look much more to scale with the 5m parts than current 3.75m option with the NASA tanks and engines.

On the pack name, it means "Atomic Bread", because why not? Whether this will show up in the final product is anyones guess since "AB Launchers" is much more understandable! There was a nice comment in the Tantares thread referencing "AB Engineering" and that might make it in as the part manufacturer for all the parts. That would be a nice tidy way to provide a filter for use in the VAB/SPH.

On engine gimbal, we're not sure on the final stats for the engines right at this moment, they need some in-game testing to see just how well Energia handles with Buran riding it to orbit. However, the idea of engine thrust limiting is something that might help on the core stage, though the problem with the current core engine model is that it is one part and thus, doesn't allow individual thrust limiting. Single versions of the engines are planned so potentially a "thrust plate" type part somewhat similar to that on the bottom of the Vulkan might be a good solution. What do you guys think? Single-engines and thrust plate, Energia-style single-part cluster, or both?

Gorgeous parts. Looks like it's time to update the HCV textures again to match this beautiful launcher you guys have been working on!

Can't wait to see where this goes.

I think HCV parts should look just fine sat atop a Vulkan-style launcher! I will say the specular stuff me and Beale have going on these are much better than those parts in RLA Stockalike that I've shown you, though it doesn't come out well in screenshots.

Oh, are there any updates on the launchers?

You subscribed to get updates when they were made! Like just now! Shiny new picture in the OP featuring the non-engine 5m parts.

Yay! I love when things are hust like now! Shiny, wheeeee! :blush:
Hot damn. These look great! Nice work, Beale & hoojiwana!
This has some serious potential. Very much looking forward to the release!

Thank you for the kind words, I am very glad these are being well received :)

A small milestone, but the parts are finally making their way into the game.

The following is a quick test of the radial boosters.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Of course, there is still a lot of polish to be done, custom FX, powered decouplers, all of that and more is on the cards!

c9eb0c18b7.jpg

Edited by Beale

Is there any chance of an alpha download for the boosters, or is it way too soon for that?

A little too early I'm afraid! :)

They are still in need of a good polish and clean.

I would love to see this as an alternative configuration, although I understand it's near impossible to make it, the proposed reusability feature of Energia radial boosters:

http://www.buran.ru/images/jpg/gk175-5.jpg

http://www.buran.ru/images/jpg/gk175-1.jpg

It's just so hilarious and weird I can't stop loving it!

This was one of the things first discussed!

Of course, as cool as it is, sadly not really possible in KSP (Without heavy mod dependencies).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.