[1.1] AB Launchers 1.2 - 5m Energia parts [22 Apr]

hoojiwana

No, not that one. The one that's at the bottom relative to the image, the duller gray tank with dark gray bottom section,

That's the N-1 block E fuel tank from TantaresLV :)

Now I'm trying to get a Buran together... Wings are proving to be a problem :(

Oh yes, I feel your pain.

The stock wings provide totally non-sufficient lift, erm, if you're using stock aero? (I'm not sure).

I got a shuttle flying, but it involved "double-clipping" two sets of wings in the same position for double lift.

Even then, it was far more sci-fi than any IRL shuttle.

d97a136ffe.jpg

I also tried a more lifting body style thing, it might as well have not had any wings :D

4d7c93ad35.jpg

The logical conclusion, my most successful shuttle design...

78a1dbc589.jpg

Edited by Beale

As the Soviets gleaned data from our Shuttle, so did I from the very well made STS-4...

Voila! My Buran Atmospheric Test Vehicle.

Stock+Tantares engines&RCS+TurboNissuReloaded Spherical tanks on it's butt.

OueaLyr.png

Oh, and a RealChute drag chute of course...

Ok - First flight complete.

Retrieved a kerbal accidentally launched in Polyus (somebody oughta handcuff them to the furniture in the Astronaut Center) :P

http://imgur.com/a/2BYrw

Wow!

Really!

The second image especially I really enjoyed.

Coercing a bit of extra lift out of the wings by building the "border" is really clever. I should try that.

• 3 weeks later...
Any word on 1.0 for this? This mod is too great to play without!

It's being worked on!

As a warning, it looks like the Whirlwind may have been made redundant due to the Aero changes and reduced dV to orbit, so it's being replaced.

BiooPni.jpg

Progress update! Things are currently balanced towards creating a good experience for Zenit, Energia, Energia-M and Vulkan recreations and those rockets putting a decent payload into LKO, in 1.0.2 aero. That said Energia-Buran is a bit more of a challenge due to structural instability in the Mk3 Parts and my own lack of time to devote to making that one configuration of parts. Kinda waiting to see if Squad pulls more drastic aero changes out of their hats before a release, so thankyou guys and gals for being patient!

Zenit and Vulkan do fly beautifully though, the sheer length of Beales wonderful Zenit tanks helps maintain a high center of mass so I've not needed fins at all on any of the more traditional-style rockets.

What're your guys thoughts on 5m fairings? Should we include one or would you prefer using one from elsewhere (SpaceY, pFairings)?

Let me introduce you bypah, she's really impatient about the AB launchers update.

I love it! Where's that Mk3 cockpit from? The stock one doesn't have those RCS ports.

Edited by hoojiwana

http://i.imgur.com/BiooPni.jpg

Progress update! Things are currently balanced towards creating a good experience for Zenit, Energia, Energia-M and Vulkan recreations and those rockets putting a decent payload into LKO, in 1.0.2 aero. That said Energia-Buran is a bit more of a challenge due to structural instability in the Mk3 Parts and my own lack of time to devote to making that one configuration of parts. Kinda waiting to see if Squad pulls more drastic aero changes out of their hats before a release, so thankyou guys and gals for being patient!

Zenit and Vulkan do fly beautifully though, the sheer length of Beales wonderful Zenit tanks helps maintain a high center of mass so I've not needed fins at all on any of the more traditional-style rockets.

What're your guys thoughts on 5m fairings? Should we include one or would you prefer using one from elsewhere (SpaceY, pFairings)?

Hooray!

Small contribution: 2.5m decoupler.

4fd26edb14.jpg

f102493b41.jpg

Let me introduce you bypah, she's really impatient about the AB launchers update.

http://i.imgur.com/cOFCLXA.png

Keep up the good work guys :D

Gorgeous profile there!

The rear engine setup is especially nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Love these parts! They look great and I really wanted to play with using Energia as a vertical stack launcher :)

I have a few bugs to report, however. In 1.0.2 (Linux 64-bit fwiw) I am having alot of nodes not attachable (usual 1.0.x incorrect orientation issues). If I flip things upside down they work okay. I tried a bunch of parts and pretty much none of them work the right way up. Maybe you have your top and bottom nodes flipped around? Or maybe there's a conflict in my mods?

Tested against the stock 1.0.2 game. same issues.

Edited by MDBenson

Hi,

Love these parts! They look great and I really wanted to play with using Energia as a vertical stack launcher :)

I have a few bugs to report, however. In 1.0.2 (Linux 64-bit fwiw) I am having alot of nodes not attachable (usual 1.0.x incorrect orientation issues). If I flip things upside down they work okay. I tried a bunch of parts and pretty much none of them work the right way up. MAybe you have your top and bottom nodes flipped around? Or maybe there's a conflict in my mods?

This is a know issue with all parts mods not yet updated for 1.0.x as far as I'm aware.

Hi,

I have a few bugs to report, however. In 1.0.2 (Linux 64-bit fwiw) I am having alot of nodes not attachable (usual 1.0.x incorrect orientation issues). If I flip things upside down they work okay. I tried a bunch of parts and pretty much none of them work the right way up. MAybe you have your top and bottom nodes flipped around? Or maybe there's a conflict in my mods?

This is a know issue with all parts mods not yet updated for 1.0.x as far as I'm aware.

Yup, nodes in 1.0+ are strictly directional, breaking some older mods.

hoojiwana has put together a working fix, but you can appreciate we're both pretty busy at the moment :)

In the mean-time, there is an option in the debug menu to ignore node direction.

Sorry for the delay with getting an update to you guys, still waiting to see what Squad are going to do regarding aero balance in 1.0.3. The balance of the parts is very much dependant on the aero. Thanks for all being patient, we will get the update out hopefully soon!

Do you still need to write descriptions or make better flags? I would be happy to do both!

We've actually got a new flag! Check it out:

lIDhchA.png

I still like the old one though. :P

If you (or anyone else) want to write up some descriptions and PM them to me that'd be awesome though.

Sorry for the delay with getting an update to you guys, still waiting to see what Squad are going to do regarding aero balance in 1.0.3. The balance of the parts is very much dependant on the aero. Thanks for all being patient, we will get the update out hopefully soon!

We've actually got a new flag! Check it out:

http://i.imgur.com/lIDhchA.png

I still like the old one though. :P

If you (or anyone else) want to write up some descriptions and PM them to me that'd be awesome though.

Hey! I love it! One of the most important things in a manufacturer flag is large letters. When half the logos in there involve rockets, you really have to look to the letters for identification.

• 4 weeks later...
Can you tell me how to give Rep?

:)

And BTW, it works fine in 1.0.2, minus the node thing. But you can bypass that.

Ñурðý - íýõрóøѠpictures!

Here are the first few:

http://imgur.com/a/e0kQe

See the little star below your name just to the right of blog this post hit it :)

EDIT- Thanks minepagan will have to give them a go.

Edited by Mecripp2

Here "it" is!

(and by "It", I mean the first version I could get into orbit.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otgcoz207a7ndz2/Buran.craft?dl=0

Improved version Coming Soonâ„¢

And let me know if you can reenter without disassembling.

Note:

Required mods-

AB Launchers (duh.)

Tweakscale

Tantares

Tantares Tweakscale Configs

Tweakable Everything

I think that's it.

Edited by minepagan
Craft File!

Can you tell me how to give Rep?

:)

And BTW, it works fine in 1.0.2, minus the node thing. But you can bypass that.

Ñурðý - íýõрóøѠpictures!

Here they are!

http://imgur.com/a/e0kQe

Very lovely! I especially enjoy the picture of daytime ascent!

Looks like you smuggled a 5m SAS unit in there too!

How are things growing here ? :)

You have asked at the right time!

Aside from any setbacks, should be heading for a release fairly soon. :)

You will have to thank hoojiwana, who has been doing a great job, pretty much 100% of the post 1.0 work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.