hoojiwana

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Updated! See the OP for download links.

Changelog

Spoiler

•  Updated Part Test module to 1.0.5 standards
  •  Switched engine emissives to use FXModuleAnimateThrottle
  •  Centered flameout particle effect on the Cyclone so it doesn't appear to come from only one nozzle

Let me know if there's anything funky with the engine heat glow animations or the part test contract generation. Thanks!

In progress ZENIT engine revamp.
A lot less scratchy and grubby, still missing some details.

I thought it was about time to update the art on these parts, after hoojiwana has updated the mod for 1.0.5 (Thanks!).

1eae50fc13.jpg

44a9c83b6f.jpg
97957410f9.jpg

965f946810.jpg
e66e0dcb7c.jpg

Edited by Beale

FWIW , played around for a few hours last night, and the AB parts are still working great with the AB1.1 release and KSP1.0.5.

I've got a pretty slick Vulkan booster that puts an absolutely absurd amount of payload to orbit. It's an affront to all things modest. :)

Edited by tjsnh

Hello Beale,

again a beautiful design. Unfortunately, I have found something for nagging ;)
The power unit is too short and the nozzle too small relative to the diameter. In addition, the engines - that they are not in the way - inclined by 2 ° outwards.

Here's a design might look like it. If you want you can have the model.

NeRa45L.png

Edited by hraban

On 12/29/2015 at 5:34 PM, hraban said:

Hello Beale,

again a beautiful design. Unfortunately, I have found something for nagging ;)
The power unit is too short and the nozzle too small relative to the diameter. In addition, the engines - that they are not in the way - inclined by 2 ° outwards.

Here's a design might look like it. If you want you can have the model.

NeRa45L.png

Hmmm, but I think the problem then is, it is difficult to have a fairing with the increased nozzle diameter.

Nice re-model though! :) 

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Is there any plans for some sick Vulkan upper stages? That'd be sick. :P

4 hours ago, DerpyFirework said:

On the topic of upper stages, any plans for a Zenit second stage engine? There really isn't a good stockalike stand in for it right now.

I'm waiting to see what Porkjet does with the rocket parts for 1.1 before adding any new bits and bobs. I don't want to speak for @Beale. As for a Zenit upper, I've used the Skipper in place of the RD-120.

3 hours ago, hraban said:

All engines for Zenit but in 1.875m Ø size

Those are nice parts! You should release them in Contares.

Edited by hoojiwana

25 minutes ago, hoojiwana said:

I'm waiting to see what Porkjet does with the rocket parts for 1.1 before adding any new bits and bobs. I don't want to speak for @Beale. As for a Zenit upper, I've used the Skipper in place of the RD-120.

Those are nice parts! You should release them in Contares.

The parts was released with the last update to Contares 1.6.3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just an FYI - some testing with the 1.1 prerelease.

All parts work just about the same as in 1.05. No clipping or mesh issues, textures look great, everything functions etc.
The only thing that's really behaving differently is the fully assembled energia+shuttle stack (tried with multiple shuttles to verify) has very sloppy roll control on assent. I wasn't able to fix it with fins or reaction wheels. Not sure if it was an issue with my craft or one of the physics tweaks in 1.1

Also, FWIW, decoupling the zenit boosters from the energiya core on assent tended to bounce off the shuttle wings, rather than rip the shuttle wings off. Maybe Squad made the wing parts "stronger" ... :)

20 hours ago, tjsnh said:

Just an FYI - some testing with the 1.1 prerelease.

All parts work just about the same as in 1.05. No clipping or mesh issues, textures look great, everything functions etc.
The only thing that's really behaving differently is the fully assembled energia+shuttle stack (tried with multiple shuttles to verify) has very sloppy roll control on assent. I wasn't able to fix it with fins or reaction wheels. Not sure if it was an issue with my craft or one of the physics tweaks in 1.1

Also, FWIW, decoupling the zenit boosters from the energiya core on assent tended to bounce off the shuttle wings, rather than rip the shuttle wings off. Maybe Squad made the wing parts "stronger" ... :)

Thanks for testing tjsnh!

When you mention the roll control, is it fatal? Or can it be recovered from?
I should test this myself when I get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.