Part 0: Prologue

Part 1: First success

Part 2: Long Shot

Part 3: The Artificial Comet

Part 4: Touch the grey cheek

PROLOGUE

Aircraft Factory #11, Experimental Department. 16 December 1948

Boris was sitting in his office and listening to Kerbstakovich's

. Usually, this music was bringing him back to life, reminding of the the seeming eternal struggle for life and freedom, but not now: the future was no longer bright, the work of his life, rocket engine powered airplanes lost their race against turbojet engines. He was merely a designer of radar guidance systems, but the whole Design Bureau was dismantled, even the electronic department. A phone call distracted him from depressing thoughts.

-Hello! Kto u apparata?

-It's me Sergey. Remember, me?

-You... I thought I will never hear from you again. You were taken away...

-Cheer up. I was released after the war. We captured something interesting from Kermans. You need to take a look.

-But I don't think I need to. You know, our KB was closed. I have nothing to do now...

-Niet. You are working now for me. I've heard a lot about your work during the war. My Design Bureau needs people like you.

-Your what?

-Yeah, it's not a phone talk. Come see me at my dacha, I'll tell you the details. Let's say... tomorrow at 13 o'clock. I think you have plenty of time now, huh.

-Do skorovo!

-Da, do zavtra.

Shulgino village, 17 December 1948.

Sergey was strolling on the snowy alley, shaking his head from time to time and pulling his arm ou of the pocket to check the watch. Arrows were indicating 12:50. After a fifteen minute promenade, he felt his leg starting to freeze and decided to get back inside the house, but noticed snow cracking under someone's feet through the howling wind. A silhouette submerged from the cold white background and Sergey approached in hope of recognition. Luckily, it was Boris. He waved his hand and pushed a smile with a noticeable effort: it seemed, not only Sergey was frozen.

-Privyet, Boris! Missed you. Awful weather, isn't it?

-Nu zdravstvuy. Yeah, it was a hard time to find you. What do you have?

-Let's get straight to business.

-You know, our government has some concerns about our former allies. They are afraid of their new sverkhmoschnye bombs and strategic bombers. We have nothing to respond with. We are exposed to the imperialist threat. But we a hope and strong belief in one kind of weapon. Remember the K-2 rocket, discovered by Unified Kerbdom's government? Yeah, a liquid fuel rocket. Kerbiet Union must perfect this weapon. And it's us who shall make it. The first part is done, I've gathered all of our old kermrades from the good old days of RNII. Soon, we may begin our work. We are embraced by all the Defence Ministry.

-That's already too much for now... I need to think for a while.

-I understand you. It's a hard decision, maybe a life-changing one. I don't want to put pressure on you.

-Well, since I have no job now, I don't think I have a choice. After all, I'm getting used to this secrecy thing after that Design Bureau stuff.

-Ty uveren?

-Da, I'm with you.

-Ok, come here *writes an address on a sheet of paper* next Monday and call 52-01 from the phone in prokhodnaya. I will meet you and organise our job. Want a cup of tea? I've brought something from Kermany. You have probably heard about the Karl Keiss factory? Well, they produce not only optics but also gyroscopes. I bet you newer saw anything like those before. Let's get to my cabinet...

That is how Boris has joined that affair. To think, he could have chosen poorly and missed this opportunity of whole life! But first things before. It seemed so risky at the moment. Boris doesn't like to remember the military part of the job, as he considers scientific goals more important than aggressive ones. So, let's not bring those not so joyful moments of his life and jump straight to 1957. Oh, you might remember that glorious year. Kerbiet Union has opened the space race with a bold achievement: first artificial satellite.

Soon after that memorable event a space agency was created, leading the peaceful branch of rocket industry, bringing Kerbalkind to a new era of exploration. Even after separating from the Defense Ministry affairs it kept an insignia, reminding of its past: a Red Star. This was the beginning of the Red Star Space Agency.

More to come soon...

Edited by Niemand303
Part 4

And again I can't give rep :(

I'll give you a cookie and a youtube subscription instead.

And if I may ask, is Boris just Boris, or the Kerbal Boris Chertok? If he is Boris Kertok, will we see him struggle with Molniyas guidance systems? ^^

(btw, do you really pronounce it sverkhmoscyhnye? we south Slavs say svemoguche)

And again I can't give rep :(

I'll give you a cookie and a youtube subscription instead.

And if I may ask, is Boris just Boris, or the Kerbal Boris Chertok? If he is Boris Kertok, will we see him struggle with Molniyas guidance systems? ^^

(btw, do you really pronounce it sverkhmoscyhnye? we south Slavs say svemoguche)

Yeah, Boris is based on B.E. Chertok. I think I will make comsats, so the struggles will be present. :)

We do, and it's not very hard, only the transcription is kinda difficult. :)

PART 1: Pierviy uspekh (First success)

1 November 1957.

Prikaz #1.

By issuing this order Kerbiet government assigns Sergey Kerbolyov as the Chief Constructor of the RSSA and giving him under control 5 departments to be formed:

Department #1 General Rocketry is to be formed on the base of Tantares Space Technologies and lead by Vasiliy Kishin.

Department #2 Mashinostroyenie should be formed from the Alnair Design Bureau, keeping their director Vladimir Kerbomey

Department #3 Avionics and Communications will be based on STEADLER Institute and will be directed by Boris Kertok

Department #4 Human Resources, directed by Eugene Kerbov

Department #5 Interkosmos, directed by Karim Kerbinov

December 1957, RSSA HQ, outskirts of Kapitol city

Sergey: Hey, Boris! Let me present you Vasiliy, you might remember him from RNII.

Boris: Huh, those days! What's the matter? How do you do?

Vasiliy: Oh hi, Boris! Heard that TASS emission about us? Pretty impressive, I must admit, even without that pretentious propaganda. Anyway, how is your work life?

Sergey: Boris, we called you for the questions of our first launch. The military will provide us with a couple of Tavio launchers, but what we have to launch? I've thrown together a couple of ideas. You might want to take a look. First of all, if we want to send a living object in space, we need to know the dangers of space. What comes to your mind first?

Boris: Hmmm, maybe radiation?

Sergey: Exactly. We need some instrumentation to measure it. So, you and your department must present a satellite project that can operate in those conditions and cooperate with Vasiliy, he will help you on how to install your payload on the rocket. I will send you detailed info on the requirements on the plan D.

Boris: Ponyatno. So, see you later.

Vasiliy: I'll pass by your office in a couple of hours. Mostly, you might remember: the diameter of payload is maximum 1.25m in diameter and a mass of 1.7 tons. Bye!

15 May 1958, Kerbonur Kosmodrome:

Boris entered the launchpad bunker just in time, taking a seat right before the speaker on the wall shouted:

-Vnimanie! Minute readiness!

The mechanism began its work and the launchpad cleared itself of personnel, waiting for the officer to start the launch sequence with one key turn. And one nervous minute after, the same voice overhead pronounced

-Klyuch na start!

So, the routine ballet in the control centre continued as everyone was checking their watches. Constructors had now nothing to do but to watch the procedure

-Protyazhka odin!

The tapes in the recorder started rotating, writing telemetry from the rocket.

-Produvka!

Pumps started transfer nitrogen to fuel pipes of the launchpad systems, howling down all the noises in the vicinity of the launchpad.

-Klyuch na drenazh!

The rockets disappears in the oxygen clouds of the service towers moving away from the rocket.

-Protyazhka dva!

Second set of recorders activated behind the spectators.

-Pusk!

Now, the launch sequence finally began!

-Zazhiganie!

Chief Constructor himself wanted to go outside the bunker to watch from closer distance, but was stopped by others

-Sergey, you are crazy! Ostavaysya zdes'!

-I know what I'm doing! Get out of my way!

-Predvaritel'naya!

The dialog drowned in the roar of 20 mighty engines, accompanied by 12 thin vernier thrusters.

-Promezhutochnaya! Glavnaya! Podyom!

IxdNuNj.png

Slowly, a rocket submerged from the deeps of the smoke cloud and propelled itself slightly towards north to pull the danger away from spectators near the launchpad.

Desyat sekund, stabilizatsiya izdeliya ustoychivaya!

1YN3a9a.png

One a rocket disappeared as a bright flash of light, Constructors returned back to the bunker in order to listen to the info from telemetry station

-Sto dvadtsat' odna sekunda! Stabilizatsiya izdeliya ustoychivaya, podtverzhdayu otdelenie pervoy stupeni i golovnykh obtekateley!

The most dangerous part was over and Boris exhaled loudly. The fairings are off and the boosters were shot away perfectly!

ICrHmrG.png

-Deploying plasma and radiation detectors nominally!

7yhedkh.png

-Orientation report?

-Main gyroscopes failed, turning the reserve ones manually for solar panels to work!

-Vypolnyat'!

-Object D deployed! Repeating, Object D deployed! The mission is a success!

cNy6mhq.png

NceRjL2.png

Sergey stood himself up and leaned towards Boris:

-Pozdravlyayu! Your systems seen to work fine! I guess you earned a "Blue Danube" tonight. Come on, cheer up, we've done our first launch from a scratch and once again have beaten the United Kerbal States!

-Sorry, I can't still believe. It's just like a dream, yeah. Well, you're once again right, it's time to celebrate. I'll send the transmitter's frequency data to the Academy of Science, I think they could do something interesting from that data. After all, they helped me very well with the on-board devices.

And so was the first success of the RSSA. Stay tuned and, of course, "to be continued..."©®TM

Edited by Niemand303

I like it! Especially the narrative part and the launch sequence! Good choice of pictures and well crafted fairings, too! And that delay from the original launch was masterful!

However, I have some criticism aswell:

In my opinion, slowing it down a tad might be good. Whilst launching Objekt D right away certainly was amazing, I personally would've enjoyed a "struggle update" before it. For example with the R-5 "Pobeda".

Let's see how Kerbomey and Kishin turn out, especially as we haven't seen anything of Kushko. Now who will be the classical carrieristic egoistic arrogant pile of steaming... ugh, you get my point.

Let's see how Kerbomey and Kishin turn out, especially as we haven't seen anything of Kushko. Now who will be the classical carrieristic egoistic arrogant pile of steaming... ugh, you get my point.

I like it! Especially the narrative part and the launch sequence! Good choice of pictures and well crafted fairings, too! And that delay from the original launch was masterful!

However, I have some criticism aswell:

In my opinion, slowing it down a tad might be good. Whilst launching Objekt D right away certainly was amazing, I personally would've enjoyed a "struggle update" before it. For example with the R-5 "Pobeda".

Thanks!

Yeah, I just skipped through Sputnik-2 stuff, replacing it by reorganisation, which sadly never took place IRL, resulting in little to no centralisation of efforts and other bad things. And for that early years, I'm not sure I could pump anything worthy except from works with war trophy and military rockets, which I don't like that much.

For the others... Well, Klushko is not forgotten, so be ready. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
So... Is this still going on? It would be a shame to stop after only one simple satellite!

Sorry, I had exams, at the moment I'm writing the second part. :)

I've already "scooped" so many material to write about, I hope uploading it today. :)

PART 2: Long Shot

June 1958, RSSA HQ.

Sergey: -Kermrades, I've gathered you here to discuss our future. First of all, you might have learned about the discovery, made by our satellite: the radiation belts somewhere around 900 km up high. Since the periapsis of the satellite is only around 1800 km, we need to gather more information. And this rises more problems. Even to reach our nearest neighbor, Mun, we need another propulsion block. This is the job for the First Department. Third Department, your job will be to create the means of control for the stage and, what is even more important, the orientation system for the block and payload itself. Second and Fourth Departments, I have a special task for you, I will instruct you after the meeting. We need to get ahead the USK. Premier has told us that we need to aim for the Mun. Karim, what is the situation in the West?

Karim: -According to the press, KASA has also discovered those fields. Akademiya Nauk also indicates, that the satellite's readings were correct and the amount of radiation matches the readings of USK ones.

Sergey: -That's good, thanks! Prepare the message for TASS to inform our country about the new achievement! Any questions, kermrades?

Vasiliy: -Of course! The problem we face is the lack of fuel pumps. Developing one by ourselves will take too much time. What shall we do?

Boris: -And about the payload, what are the requirements? According to the preliminary calculations, an error by 1% of velocity will lead to horrendous trajectory changes and I'm not sure we can made a really precise avionic system.

Sergey: -First of all, Vasiliy, I want to cheer you up. Design Bureaus from Ministry of Aviation have currently heavy times, and it's an opportunity for us. They have some experience with jet engine techniques, this is really handy. Now, for the payload. Boris, I think you should contact Kerbysh, he is more competent in electronics than I am. But you should keep tight contact with Vasiliy, since the payload must fit his block.

Vasiliy: -Ok, I have a couple of ideas who to contact. See you later, I have something to show you.

*Sergey nodded*

Boris: -Sergey, we may need several test launches for the avionics. Maybe we should not hurry. I think we are taking too much risks.

Sergey: -I understand that. Actually, I'm 100% with you on that. But the government is forcing us to hurry with our projects. It is the question of prestige. We must prove that our country recovered from the War and is ready to open new frontiers. It's so sad that our allies turned against us. But we've suffered enough and won't let them take the initiative. The next launch should hit the Mun.

Boris: -I'm sorry. Is this all?

Sergey: -Yes. The meeting is over. And you, Vladimir, Eugene are asked to stay.

Boris exited the conference room with mixed opinions: on the one hand, new goals were set and this mean new interesting tasks and opportunities. But on the other hand, the pressure of the government forces RSSA to take more and risks.

Boris: -What do you think Vasiliy?

Vasiliy: -I have some doubts about it. But, anyway, our department had already several ideas since the first days of the agency. We have an engineer, Valentin Klushko, he is a brilliant mind. He was the main constructor of the Tavio engines. He has some blueprints. His proposal is in having one main engine and four smaller verniers, the same thing that on the first stage, but with a lighter engine, with only one combustion chamber. I think it might work out. And it might be less complicated if we start it while the core engine is still running. That's what I'm going to show Sergey. He might love it. And you, do you have anything?

Boris: -Yeah, but not very much. I remember having an star-based orientation system built for our night bombers during the War. Remember the Night Witches? That regiment proved it to be really effective.

Vasiliy: -Oh, I remember them. They were truly the legends even behind the frontlines. I guess you can improve it, well, we can allow more sophisticated electronics nowadays. What do you think, what mass could your payload be? Sergey said that we must orient on a one day flight time.

Boris: -Well, the first Sputnik was only 60 kilograms. But this one will be, I think, about half a ton, since we have lots of transmissions to do. And to think about this radiation belt...

Vasiliy: -That's fine, don't hurry, get me the info this week, good? I think I have to go, Sergey has finished his talk with Eugene and Vladimir. What are they up to?

First Mun attempt was performed in November 1959. Time was really short since the Premier wanted to have this achievement before the anniversary of Revolution. And on the 3rd of November, dressed in warm vatnik, Boris looked once again on the launchpad from the bunker. The rocket was taller than before: it carried that new block and a lightened prototype of the Munar impactor probe.

gTlBSa8.png

-Attention! Minute readiness!

-Key to launch sequence!

-Tape feed one!

-Pumps on!

-Key to the drain!

-Tape feed two!

-Launch!

-Ignition!

-Preliminary! Intermediate! Main! LIFTOFF!

9gsl9i8.png

Once again, the rocket hid itself up high in the clouds. For a minute and a half everything went well. But suddenly the operator burst itself screaming:

-Alert! Alert! "V" block engine failure!

-Key to self-destruction! Abort the launch!

Everyone rushed away from the bunker to watch what was going on. They got outside right in time to see a huge fireball up high, falling back to the ground. People remain silent, as the artificial comet hid itself behind the horizon.

Sergey was never swearing. After all, it wouldn't change anything. Standing on the now clear launchpad he turned himself to the rest of the Grand Constructors:

-Kermrades, the investigation of the failure must begin as quick as possible. Right now!

TBC...

• 2 weeks later...

Will this thread follow the Soviet space program as it happened in real life, or will it stray from it a little? Skipping Voskhod, and going straight to Soyuz, for example (which they probably should have done in real life. Voskhod was a dead end program and didn't accomplish anything that Vostok or Soyuz could also do.)

Will this thread follow the Soviet space program as it happened in real life, or will it stray from it a little? Skipping Voskhod, and going straight to Soyuz, for example (which they probably should have done in real life. Voskhod was a dead end program and didn't accomplish anything that Vostok or Soyuz could also do.)

Yep, it will diverge. :)

Currently, I'm a bit late with writing, diverged by the new mod I'm trying to organise, but I promise to upload a new part in 24 hours. :)

• 1 month later...

Well, those 24 streched for more than a month, I'm sorry for that. But still I present:

PART 3: The artificial comet.

4 November 1958, Kerbonur Kosmodrome, Administration Building.

Sergey: -Let me present you Dmitriy, he is representing the Gosudarstvennaya Komissiya. He came here from Kapitol to control the process and present his report to the government. And now, kermrades, I want you to share your opinions on the reasons of the malfunction of the rocket.

Dmitriy: -Hello everyone! I wish we'd encounter for a good reason. I've heard of your work before, though I worked with military. This situation requires our involvment too. I'm from the First Department, so you might understand what it means.

Everyone nodded and tried to avoid eye contact with Dmitry: First Department in most military structures were responsible for intelligence and worked directly with the infamous Kerbiet Security Comitee.

He continued then: -My duty is not to punish you, but to prevent accidents like this to happen. Government decided that you might need some military assistance in the search of the reasons of the accidents, not only by brute force, - Dmitry smiled, - You might have noticed some troops were dispatched to collect all the debris. Now, I'd love to hear your ideas now. Let's begin with you, Sergey.

Sergey: -Thanks. Well, according to telemetry, there was a severe loss of fuel pressure in the Block «V» engine, which led to the loss of thrust in the whole assembly. The guidance systems tried to fight the pitch momentum, but at the end it was too strong. Small pressure losses sometimes occur in the system, but they are usually negated by the verniers.

Dmitry: -I see that, Sergey. As far as I know, Boris was the creator of the guidance block and other on-board electronics. What is your oppinion on the causes?

Boris: -To be fair, I don't have much things to say. Our systems worked correctly all over the flight. Though, probably, the disassembly of rocket was caused by severe attempts of our verniers to pitch the rocket back up, but the stress tests aren't yet complete.

Dmitry: -Thanks for your opinion, it will be taken into consideration. Valentin, I think you were the author of the engine, what can you tell us?

Valentin: -The flight regime for those engines was nominal until the drop happened. I'm afraid, it could be an assembly error, possibly the fuel line wasn't firmly attached. Or even it could be a sabotage.

All the audience turned to him in shock: minor accidents happened before and no one would blame someone else, especially accuse of sabotage. Probably, the presence of the Security Comitee provoked him to say it, but either way it was the worst thing he could say.

Dmitry kept silence for a half-minute and told quietly: -Well, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think the meeting is over, let's wait for the results from the labs.

In silence, everyone started to leave their seats with agility, not usually seen from them: the effect of Valentin's words were dramatical. He was a new member of the team, but he couldn't avoid this mistake. Trust is what keeps up the enthusiasm of the team.

The next day the results of the debris analisys arrived and everyone forgot about yesterday's «s-bomb». Valentin, himself, ashamed of his suspicions, tried to remain unseen and not to draw attention to himself for the rest of the investigation, which showed, that he was right: a bolt, holding the fuel line broke, causing the fuel to spill on the hot metal of the combustion chamber, basically, leading to its ignition and explosion.

Sergey remembered his words at the meeting, and pardonned him, with the cost of Valentin's promise to be more cautious with his speech.

The next launch to strike the Mun was announced on January. The preparations were hasty, but the pre-flight check only gained in length. From now in, a reserve team was formed to check on the results of previous teams. Each action should been recorded in the special notebook, which was later signed by the chief of the workers team, transferred to the chief of the launch site and only then he gave the permission for launch.

Mission: Mun-1

Payload: Mun Impactor M-1

Rocket: Zapad-M

Date: 02.01.1959

Result: Partial success

-Key to launch sequence!

-Tape feed one!

-Pumps on!

-Key to the drain!

-Tape feed two!

-Launch!

-Ignition!

-Preliminary! Intermediate! Main! LIFTOFF!!!

pz3Ugp4.png

-One hundred seconds, first, second stage engines nominal!

oGezvTp.png

-One hundred twenty, first stage separation confirmed!

4SuDDAf.png

-Two hundred ten, third stage ignition confirmed, golovnye obtekateli jetissoned!

JznHudp.png

- Four hundreds seconds, craft on trajectory to Mun, activating the timing device!

Once again the launch procedure was interrupted by a mission control officer. By his look Boris understood: he's not bringing good news today. Sergey caught that look too and intercepted him by asking directly what was wrong.

-Komrade Chief Constructor, the telemetry decoding indicates that Mun-1 missed the Mun, it is now on Kerbin escape trajectory.

Sergey remained calm. Another failure was really disappointing, but there was nothing to do now. Instead, he turned towards Boris and announced loudly to him:

-Boris, looks like you created a new planet! Look at the trajectory your computer set!

ntUioXg.png

His reassuring smile turned a failure into a partial success. On its way to Mun probe recorded enough data about the magnetic field for Science Academy to analyze.

Small probe, on his turn, became the first object to leave Kerbin SOI, marking a bold achievement on the way to other celestial bodies...

15BxiG5.png

Edited by Niemand303

Oh! I assumed that this thread was dead, then I check it one more time out of boredom and find that it lives! Hopefully it will stay that way!

Thanks! It will live! After I reach a certain state I will finish it for a more global "History Book" of Kerbin. Now I'm reorganising my RSSA install so that it will be less "scripted" and somewhat closer to AAR from year 1960. :)

45b95a5620.png

• 5 weeks later...

PART 4: Touch the grey cheek

14 January 1959, Kerbonur Kosmodrome, Administration Building.

-Comrades, I'd congratulate you on the successful flight, like they do in Kapitol, but we all know it was a failure - this was how Sergey started the conference: -We are still ahead of Kerbal States, but we mustn't be overexcited: there is still a lot of work to do. Boris, you should realize that if this failure happens on our Heavy project, it will lead to more serious results than just a loss of a piece of metal. As you night have understood, I decided to assemble of you to talk about our new project: a crewed heavy satellite. We should increase the gap between us and Kerbal states by sending a Kerbonaut into space in the next two years at maximum. The Gensek speech of 1960 December Revolution Anniversary should announce to world our success! It will show to the world the advantages of our system. As far as I know, komrade Kishin has already some preliminary designs on the capsule.

Vasiliy stood up, nodding his head: -Yes, I have a couple of ideas. Our Tavio rocket doesn't allows us to put much weight to orbit. Only around 5 tons. So, we need to find the easiest solution to most of our problems. To simplify reentry control I want to propose a spherical capsule, which allows the easiest reentry profile and is the easiest to stabilize. Easy and reliable. The only downside would be higher accelerations for pilot.

Sergey: -Hmm, that might be an issue. I will consult our medical service about the load. Intelligence service told us that Kerbal States are most likely going with a conical capsule. Maybe we should study it too.

Boris: -Personally, I disagree with the conical capsule solution. It requires control jets for reentry, thus, making the system more complex and heavier, due to the increased fuel load. Less complexity, less chances of failure. I will ask the Science Akademy what G-loads will be on one's body on that descent trajectory. If we can't bring pilots back with a spherical capsule, then we'll go with conical one. Though, I suppose, there might be an intermediate solution.

Sergey: -Ok, we can settle it down later in private and in details. Boris, what is with the next Muna satellite?

Boris: -It will work excellently, it took us 20 minutes to reset that delay mechanism to account for the time delay, using just a solder and a screwdriver, heh. So, basically, we're good to go as soon as the factory makes another launcher.

Sergey: -Never tell to anyone that you fixed an error worth a launcher in 20 minutes. It means that you've missed it during lab and factory testing and it's your fault. So, I'll place another launch in the schedule. Vasiliy, what is the production status?

Vasiliy: -The basic Tavio will be over in July, but the upper stage might take some time. I can't know precisely, but the factory promises to ship us next "Wayfarer" upper stage in August.

Sergey: -Thanks. So, basically, we'll have to wait until at least August to launch the rocket... Well, we can pay more attention to the crewed satellite then. What's on the orientation system, Boris?

Boris: -We don't have many advances, but the KTDU has already passed the preliminary lab tests. Probably, we might have to change the fuel, since nitric products might cause corrosion of the tanks. The same way as we had with, you know, the KI-1 and other airplanes...

Sergey: -Right, I see that. Contact the Heavy Machinery Ministry or Science Academy about materials that can hold that kind of fuel.

12 May 1959, RSSA HQ, Kapitol city

Boris entered Sergey's office, noticed Vasiliy already sitting there and asked:

-Called me?

Sergey: -Yes, komrade. What do you have on the orientation system?

Boris: -We have almost prepared the blueprints to sent to the factory for secondary jets, the orientation ones, TV and radio transmitters and some service module wiring. How are the other systems doing?

Vasiliy: -We decided to stick with the spherical design of the capsule. You will help us in creating the parachute deployment system. The main propulsion unit has passed all tests and ready for test flight. We have some difficulties with the separation system, we don't have a good grip on the spherical capsule. But surely our engineers will definitely find out a way to safely detach the module.

Sergey: -Thanks for explaining. Basically, most of documentation is ready for factories. Boris, I ask you to check wirings once again. We didn't need someone to stay in orbit just because the plug fell out of the port. So, finish up the blueprints, I'm going to visit the General Secretary today and tell him about our project. Now, let's get to our battlestations! We have a lot of stuff to do.

13 September 1959, Kerbonur Kosmodrome

Mission: Muna-2

Payload: Mun Impactor M-1

Rocket: Zapad-M

Date: 13.09.1959

Result: Success

-Key to launch sequence!

-Tape feed one!

-Pumps on!

-Key to the drain!

-Tape feed two!

-Launch!

-Ignition!

-Preliminary! Intermediate! Main! LIFTOFF!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.