What is it impossible to do in KSP?

Foxster

ok, i didn't read all posts.

I just miss some robotic possibilitiies. How awesome would it be to have a robot arm on your craft, to move stationparts or robots out of cargobays for example. Everything needs a dronecore and RCS...

Yeah, i really miss robotics in stock game.

Perfectly possible. On average, you're 17 days from a transfer window to Moho. If your game is truly warpin at 100,000x, that's about 0.24 minutes away. Heck, from a completely new game, the first transfer window to Moho is about 5 earth-days away. If you're setting your destinations by the next available winodow, instead of looking for windows to the destination you've decided to go to, you'll easily wind up waiting less than five minutes on maximum warp.

Now if you've decided to go to Duna, well, yeah, those windows are about 230 days apart, Though there's one on about Day 60, which is about 1 minute from the start of a new game at true 100000x.

Possible for one situation, but not all of them.

Still impossible.

I believe that a jet-only interplanetary mission is impossible. You can't get enough speed to escape Kerbin's SOI.

You can actually store IntakeAir (the radial intakes hold the most) and activate your jet engines in space. Never tried getting a Kerbin escape though.

Possible for one situation, but not all of them.

Still impossible.

Going to go a bit semantic here. The requirements were "Waiting less than 5 minutes in maximum time warp for a interplanetary transfer window." not "Waiting less than 5 minutes in maximum time warp for all interplanetary transfer windows." By the initial statement, it's definitely possible.

And at any rate, even if the next Duna window is the full 233 earth-days away (And Duna's windows from Kerbin are the most infrequent ones from Kerbin), if your game is truly running at 100000x time, (230 days)/100000 = 3.31 minutes.

... I actually don't think an SSTO for Eve is impossible. Hypothetically I think it could be done... it would be a super massive nightmare trying to get it to Eve and landing it in the right spot, but I don't think it's impossible... I've done the numbers on it a couple times.

Also, some of you said it's impossible to land on Kerbol and Jool... that's actually not true. There are videos on youtube of people landing on and planting flags on both, although it is mostly glitchy and bugged. Your'e not really supposed to land on either but it IS possible.

Things that are impossible off the top of my head, I think there are some obvious ones in this game...

1) Landing/returning from most planets using on ion engine(s) - they simply do not have the TWR to do this, no matter how many you would build

2) De-orbiting moons/planets - it is impossible like others here said. Not only does the game not allow it in it's engine (they have a hard programmed course), but it would require a stupendous amount of rocket power (something like millions to the million power) pounds of thrust just to de-orbit Gilly, the smallest moon in the game. Scott Manley did a video on this with the numbers.

3) achieve the speed of light - in the games stock engine, it is impossible to achieve the speed of light. Again Scott Manley did a video on this as well a while ago.

4) Achieve orbit using only a single sepratron launch - basically anything that would launch you up in one burst would not be enough to put you into orbit. It's impossible according to Newtonian (and kerbal) physics. Eventually your orbit would need circularized.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. But there are some obvious ones.

Being able to blame an accident solely on the kerbal*cough*Jeb*cough* piloting it. Though we are getting closer to making that a point of contention.

Apart from an Eve SSTO I can't really think of anything that would be impossible. Apart from building ring-stations around planets or moons, or landing on Jool.

Ring stations aren't even possible in reality. Tidal effects alone would tear it apart. Landing on Jool really depends on the precise definition, allowing for the factors involved in landing on a gas giant. Some might say deploying a dirigible successfully in the clouds of Jool would count as "landing."

But does it come with cupholders and a Bose mp3 player?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.