Sorry just have to vent!

DocLangy

Spent maybe 10 hours in career mode, all stock (only mod is chatterer). Had a lander on Duna. Engineer was level 1 so couldn't repack chutes. I thought ok well I'll just send an experienced one up and rendezvous in Kerbin orbit. Needed to level one up to do that so I launch a quick moon run, Jeb pilots with the engineer, where I spend a lot of time trying to land on a point for a contract when the smash into the moon at 200+m/s i quick saved too late to save them. Revert to space center where it freezes. Exit game and reload, no changes still frozen on load. Had to delete that save and start COMPLETELY over. SO FRUSTRATING!!!!:mad: ...sigh...I feel a little better, anyone have a similar story?

Any long-time player has plenty of similiar tales to tell :) Yesterday i did a milk-run contract mission on the Mun. I got my lander back to orbit, and headed for a rendez-vous with science station in low Mun orbit to clean goo and material bays. I circularised, set a maneuver node to get close to the station and started burning. Halfway through the burn my dV gauge suddenly stopped moving. In next second my lander froze in space - i switched to Space Center, then back to the lander. BOOM!!! Lander became a cloud of debris, next universe dissapeared into nothingness and i started grinding my teeth. Luckily my save survived intact, so i was able to load and dock to the station in the next attempt - without bugs this time.

Laws of physics? Bring 'em on. It's the bugs you must be afraid of.

Laws of physics? Bring 'em on. It's the bugs you must be afraid of.

Quote of the day. :D

I've had a long-time career mode save be wrecked by Jeb getting out of the capsule and summoning the dreaded Hell Kraken and destroying all the saves in the entire install directory. :mad:

Yeah, I have a nightly automated backup of my SteamApps, so there's always that to fall back on. But I've often also been paranoid about it, and have made a lot of date-stamped backups of my save folder too. Once they added the ability to make named quicksaves, that got even easier.

Now I'm playing more casually, and won't be as heartbroken if my save disappears, but the nightly backups are still a good safety net.

Since 0.9 I can't undock sometimes. Sometimes, because it happens maybe 1/5 times and under differents circumstances.

I click undock, the vessels are separated but still cling together as if the joint is not destroyed.

Sometimes I can fix it by switching to the tracking station, warping there and switching back, but most of the time both vessels explode (which is very annoying since I mostyl dock to stations and always lose the whole station that way).

KSP really needs an update dedicated only to bug bashing.

Edited by marce
typo

I faced a similar bug attack once. After that I set up a cron job to commit my saves to a git repository every 3 minutes. It already saved my save once.

I agree KSP could use a period of bug fixing and general polishing up. You know, like a beta phase? ;-)

All those "Hard mode" and "Ironman mode" things are only good with non-glitchy games. KSP sometimes do weird things for no reason.

I started looking for and installed Hyperedit to recover from bug. Quicksaves, savegame editing and hyperedit are necessary evil until game is completely polished.

I added a mod (this was back in 0.25) and it corrupted ALL my saves. Since then I make a backup at the start and end of every play session, sometimes with intermediate saving whenever I'm at the space center screen. In addition to my persistence and quicksave, I keep 'Master Backup.sfs' in the folder too for any save that actually means a damn to me.. Gotta love that new save as feature in the pause menu.

Quicksave All the time. I've been playing for at least 1,000 hours and I have never had a save file totally corrupt like this, but I have had kerbals ejected into deep space after a safe landing for no reason. The last time I failed to complete a mission as intended was the day I discovered just how strong Eve's gravity really is, over a year ago. The last time I had to reload thanks to some devilish little bug, however, was yesterday.

SO FRUSTRATING!!!!:mad: ...sigh...I feel a little better, anyone have a similar story?

I've got a similar story, actually stories....in fact I've got so many stories of loosing craft or saves through either mine or KSP's fault that I wrote a tool to make the problem go away...so now I don't have any stories.

Simply put I wrote a tool that automatically backs-up every autosave and quicksave and tracks the changes to craft each time you launch them.

with added nerd-level detail; it uses the git version control system so it's not just making copies of files, it's tracking the difference between file versions...which is much more space efficient. It runs as a web server on your machine so you can interface with it via your browser or any web-enabled device on your local network. It can monitor several different KSP installs, move/copy craft between campaigns and sync craft between campaigns (so if you change it in one campaign it will be changed in the other).

Here's a link to the tool. I've not updated it in a while but it works for all KSP versions. It is due an update but I've been focused on KerbalX.

All good reasons that disabling quick/saves in hard-mode is beyond idiotic.

Disabling quicksave is beyond idiotic. Disabling quickload and re-enabling that when a glitch occurs isn't. That's how I play; any mistakes I make are punished, but I'm not going to lose out because the game didn't like one of my rockets.

-----

Had 3 "Kraken Attacks" a couple of days ago when launching probes to all the planets; sent 16 up into LKO, then set 13 off into interplanetary space and quit the game. When I reloaded the next day all 13 of those probes displayed "On escape trajectory out of the Sun" and 2 of them instantly imploded the game and forced a restart (NaN m/s, KSC screen froze up) and another disintegrated for no reason and accelerated out of the system at several million G. Surprisingly, none of the other probes were affected and the save wasn't corrupted.

Well, how many save corruption bugs until people can compare KSP with TES II: Daggerfall?

We cannot forgive KSP cases of save corruption because there no Khajiit in KSP.

Too late... SQUAD should have licensed partial use of TES universe, and made a Khajiit Space Program!

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.