More KSP music: think of the possibilities.

Dispatcher

Do you favor more stock KSP music via a contest?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favor more stock KSP music via a contest?

• Absolutely! I want even more KSP music.
    • No way! I like it the way it is.
    • Music? I don't even want the music we have.
    • What music? I just turn off the music and play my own.

While I really like the music used in KSP (including the Credits music), now that its in Beta, I'd like even more music added to the stock music rotation (without adding it myself). We've already seen visual and aural improvements in the way of new parts, textures, pyrotechnics and space center building iterations; I think the music could be expanded in a similar fashion and involves little additional coding; only someone at Squad willing to listen to and legally acquire the additional tunes. Perhaps Squad could even hold a forum contest to which members could contribute their own appropriate music, or links to appropriate royalty free music by others. New KSP music could be introduced to the game from this pool of winners in a similar way as was done with the KSP company logo/ flag artwork.

How do you feel about such a thing?

I'm in! Yeah, the current songs are...repetitive. And I don't see much glory in a lot of the game's soundtrack being royalty free music. Besides, the original (it is original, right?) music we've gotten in places such as the R&D Center, Mission Control, and the Administration Building are very unique and fun to listen too. Personally I'd kill to have some of UpsilonAerospace's music in stock KSP. Have you heard that stuff? It practically is KSP!

Obligatory plug for UpsilonAerospace

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88869-KSP-Plugin-Songs!-%28Current-Song-SUN%29

The OP in that thread can only hold 5 linked videos, his latest track, "Sun", is on page 10

The community should do the music so the devs can work on more important things. Especially when is good like upsilon's work.

Edit: I read actually read the thread now and was glad to see someone else suggesting this :)

Edited by r4pt0r

Well, there is a mod for this. It does work with 0.90, I can confirm that myself. You can make any .wav, .ogg or .mp3 you want to play alongside the normal stuff. The problem is it can eat a surprising additional amount of memory, so if you are heavily modded you might not be able to pack in a lot more music. Maybe that's also the reason why stock OST is somewhat short.

i would like the option of having an mp3 player inside the game so i can choose my own tracks when i play the game. The game does need more tracks but give the player the option(via the options menu) to use the stock music or play their own tracks

I think a different music scheme in each sphere of influence would be a nice touch.

I completely agree with this, and with the OP in general; I always really liked the KSP title theme, and I feel like the game would benefit greatly from music that enhances the ambience. The music that currently plays in the background while I'm in space feels really sleepy, and it's far too repetitive for me to keep it on.

I'd honestly love a system, or at least an option, that enables me to hear different musical "variations" of each Kerbal world's theme that play at different situations within each SOI. Thus we might collectively have a Kerbal "Symphony of the Planets and Muns" that plays each theme for its titular world, and also contains variations of each theme. Think something like this, but with additional variants that cut seamlessly into each other depending on your current craft's situation:

These variations would overlay perfectly with each other in terms of tempo, pitch, and so on; and you'd have at least one for when your ship is just exploring, peacefully; and then if it's in danger, such as when you're about to execute an aerocapture maneuver or when you've set a maneuver node and are timewarping to/within 3 minutes of executing a burn, the danger! variation starts to fade in.

As an example, I present FTL: Faster Than Light, with its Explore and Battle variants of each theme that cut in seamlessly from each other when you enter or exit combat:

Explore

Battle

I have to say that I've never gotten tired of this soundtrack.

Imagine something like that, plus maybe a Surface-Explore and Surface-Danger theme as well, such as if weather factors like sandstorms are implemented on Duna.

And perhaps, when a Kerbal world has reached a threshold of enough craft, stations, and/or mass in orbit or on the ground, there might even be an "urban"-styled variant(s) of the theme that plays instead of the Explore versions, to signify that you've developed that world's orbital and/or surface space to a high degree.

And there are definitely no shortages of talented musicians around here!

Edited by Accelerando

I'd take more music, for sure.

Though, I'd probably still get bored and move on to listen to something else.

soundtrack,

New Retro stuff (Megadrive, Perturbator, etc.),

Some obscure

Studio Ghibli movie soundtracks,

Space Synth,

and so on.

Edited by Axelord FTW

I'd love to have new music, and think different music around different bodies, and changing with situation would be great.

I I also really loved it back in frontier elite 2 when there was grand classical music which really added atmosphere during long journeys. Also, the game needs the opening music from 2001 for the first time in space!

The FTL stlye would fit very well to KSP, also different styles of the same tracks for surface/orbit of a celestial (like with FTL's explore/battle tracks), with each celestial having their own styles of soundtracks.

Someone go call Ben Prunty!

Also since we're talking about sound it would be great to have more sound effects too like with Chatterer. I always usually have it installed, and when 0.90 first came out and I went without mods for a while the game really lacked feeling without the background noise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.