What to do with 2 screens?

Baenki

So since my old screen is pretty much but not yet completely broken I am going to order a new 24'' Full HD screen and want to use the old 17'' 1440*900 as a secondary.

So I want to ask the community. Do you use a second screen and what for (in KSP)?

I know there has been a mod to show the map view on a second screen and another mod that showed flight data. I forgot the names and don't know if they are still supported.

Help?

Ok, but are there any information or planning mods optimised for use on a second screen?

I would like to have something like a command center with additional info, real time data or maps. Or external planning program.

Edited by Baenki

I use a 40-inch TV as my monitor. It feels plenty roomy. The only down-side is the idiotic visual pre-sets and filters which you can't really turn off (Sony's video engineers were smoking some good stuff when they designed the default settings for this thing).

The only way I would like a multi-monitor setup is under the following conditions

1) Bring back the more square aspect ratios like 3:4, ultra-letter box is not fun. Even 16:10 is hard to find, these days it's all 16:9 or wider.

2) Make the screens cheaper. You can find a decent TN screen here and there, but it's still 230$ x3, so you end up paying near 700$... a LOT more if you want G-sync, 120FPS or IPS displays. And yeah, I said x3 and not just 2 because most games play terribly with just 2 screens, so you need at least 3 (which costs too much, so I stick to 1 screen).

3) Shrink the bezels, otherwise it just feels like you took a big screen and stuck lines of black tape onto it.

I remember having more issues, but I can't recall them at the moment. But yeah, fix those and I'd be all over multi-monitor gaming. It feels easier to just wait for Occulus Rift to arrive and have near-360-degree gameplay.

I always now play in a full size window so it works better with dual screens. KSP in one, browser with forum, transfer calc tools and crap in other.

Just to see if my computer could hack it I once tried running two copies of KSP at the same time (and used Jebretary to sync craft between them), so I was able to launch a craft on one screen and then while launching it carry on editing it on the other screen. That was mostly just confusing and caused my computer pain, but I do wish KSP would support dual screen setups. Something like being able to be in flight mode on one screen and have map mode plus any mod window clutter on the second screen. In the editors dual screen would be nice too, either have different craft views (ie side on, front on, top down) or a whole screen of space for the part lists.

Some time ago i read that someone was trying to synchronize open source NASA mission control software with KSP.

I can not find the thread anymore.

Does someone know about that experiment and how it worked out?

If it worked it seems to be awesome for second screen use.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.