Real Solar System (KSP.9/RO/RP0) Let's Play

BevoLJ

So do you have a schedule for episodes? Is it going to be something like 1 episode per week? I'm only asking because I remember watching a Real Solar System KSP series called "Space is Hard (Vacuum)" that was discontinued after 12 episodes. I really enjoyed it and was pretty sad to see it go. It looks really good so far! Keep up the good work!

Hey BevoLJ

Very cool video, enjoyed it a lot. I never realized how much science you can get from just building rockets.. I always pumped all my upgrade points in the VAB and ended up having to grind for science.

By the way, you should not need ullage engines on the launch pad.. Gravity will take care of it. It is only necessary when your ship is either at a constant velocity or decelerating. Gravity on the launch pad essentially gives you 1g of acceleration.

Will have another episode out for anyone to enjoy tomorrow. :)

So do you have a schedule for episodes? Is it going to be something like 1 episode per week? I'm only asking because I remember watching a Real Solar System KSP series called "Space is Hard (Vacuum)" that was discontinued after 12 episodes. I really enjoyed it and was pretty sad to see it go. It looks really good so far! Keep up the good work!
I don't do schedules. I've tried them in the past but they just turned into like a second job, and I stoped enjoying myself. So pretty much just upload when I finish videos now. Thanks for the kind words! :)
Yeah, I watched Space is Hard, thought it was great, this looks brilliant and you've made ME very

CP, Hopefully this will stick around.

Thanks m8! I hope so too.
Hey BevoLJ

Very cool video, enjoyed it a lot. I never realized how much science you can get from just building rockets.. I always pumped all my upgrade points in the VAB and ended up having to grind for science.

By the way, you should not need ullage engines on the launch pad.. Gravity will take care of it. It is only necessary when your ship is either at a constant velocity or decelerating. Gravity on the launch pad essentially gives you 1g of acceleration.

Oh, that 1g acceleration from gravity on the ground makes the issues I've been having make a lot more sense. I've been using the FASA launchers under my rockets. I bet they push the rocket up and by the time the igniters go, the rocket is falling due to the Redstone clamps under the rocket. Thanks!

Episode Two where we put Jeb in orbit and do put up a satellite in a very precise equatorial orbit from Florida: http://youtu.be/hQMRfu8JUaU

Do what they do in real life, ignite the engines and then release the clamps in a second stage.. Wastes some fuel, but should solve the issue.
I think that is just what I will do. With RSS the amount of fuel we are dealing with is huge, so that half second of burn prior to release shouldn't be of to much concern. Thanks!
Hi, nice video and thank you for pointing out the mod packs. This was exactly what I was looking for and I think I will start a new game with the same configuration now.
Awesome! If you have any questions of where to find what please feel free to ask here (or in the threads linked) and I'll be happy to help with anything. :)

Awesome! If you have any questions of where to find what please feel free to ask here (or in the threads linked) and I'll be happy to help with anything. :)

In windows I had problems with ram usage but I got it to work on my linux partition and launched my first sounding rockets :)

In windows I had problems with ram usage but I got it to work on my linux partition and launched my first sounding rockets :)
Woot! Grats. Ya, linux is for sure the way to go. Can even use the 8k textures with Linux! \o/

Unfortuantly I can't record and edit on Linux yet (still need to get that sorted) so I am stuck with OpenGL for the time being (which hurts my CPU). But it works. If you need to use Windows just add -force-opengl in a shortcut and you should be good.

Hey Bevo,

I'm really liking series so far. I was hoping to play with the same set-up. I have RSS, RO, and RP-0 installed but my tech tree is looking much different from yours. I'm just wondering what parts packs, if any you are using.

Thanks,

TSSA

Hi Bevo

As an old fan (was sub number 3500 ish) I can say i really love your positivity and creativity. I know you often help out your fans and i hope you can help me out. I have mirrored your mods but i can't get the pack stable after about 10 times entering /leaving the world (stearing a rocket) my game crashes does this happen to you allso? or do you have an idea im using active texture management normal. If you have no idea could you then maybe put all your mods and setups into a zip file and then maybe upload it to some place like dropbox or email them to me so i can see if it will run stable then.

I really hope you have an idea and thank you for the great positive adventures you take me on every week it helps entertain a handicapped guy like me so i can get my mind of the pain so you make a difference atleast for me thank you

Best Regards

Arnold

Hey Bevo,

I'm really liking series so far. I was hoping to play with the same set-up. I have RSS, RO, and RP-0 installed but my tech tree is looking much different from yours. I'm just wondering what parts packs, if any you are using.

Thanks,

TSSA

Hi Bevo

As an old fan (was sub number 3500 ish) I can say i really love your positivity and creativity. I know you often help out your fans and i hope you can help me out. I have mirrored your mods but i can't get the pack stable after about 10 times entering /leaving the world (stearing a rocket) my game crashes does this happen to you allso? or do you have an idea im using active texture management normal. If you have no idea could you then maybe put all your mods and setups into a zip file and then maybe upload it to some place like dropbox or email them to me so i can see if it will run stable then.

I really hope you have an idea and thank you for the great positive adventures you take me on every week it helps entertain a handicapped guy like me so i can get my mind of the pain so you make a difference atleast for me thank you

Best Regards

Arnold

o/ TSSA & Gaarde,

@TSSA: I am using the RP-0 part mods + Infernal Robotics. So SXT, IR, FASA, Ven's and the proc wings, parts & fairings. There really aren't to many parts mods in what I am using, rather I use Proc Parts for most things. Parts just take up to much RAM in my experience and force me to use OpenGL which is really bad for FPS when trying to record. In the future I will likely add a part from random part mods here or there. Like I love Lax's SpaceX pack, and the Near Future packs. But those are way down the road. In those instances however, I just add the parts I want and not the entire packs so that I can save on memory. If you would like to list your part mods or the parts that look in the wrong places then I'd be happy to suggest what parts RP-0 doesn't support.

@Gaarde: I wish I could just zip everything up and post it, however that is not allowed and would get me in a lot of trouble as it breaks most all licenses by the developers. :( Would be amazing if KSP had modpacks that could be launched from a launcher like Minecraft but unfortunately I don't think that will ever happen. It does sound like you are running into many memory issues. I run into these all the time too. What I do is remove parts from various mods as the parts are what takes so much memory. Also I highly suggest using the low resolution RSS texture files. I'd only recommend the 8k for Linux users who don't need to worry about memory.

An amazing tool I use and recommend is : https://github.com/Felger/AutoPruner/releases

Using Proc Parts I just get rid of all the tanks, wings and fairings from all the mods as they just aren't needed and I end up using only about 40% of the memory I was prior to pruning those mods. Hope it helps!

If you need any help in the future pls just shout!

o/ TSSA & Gaarde,

@TSSA: I am using the RP-0 part mods + Infernal Robotics. So SXT, IR, FASA, Ven's and the proc wings, parts & fairings. There really aren't to many parts mods in what I am using, rather I use Proc Parts for most things. Parts just take up to much RAM in my experience and force me to use OpenGL which is really bad for FPS when trying to record. In the future I will likely add a part from random part mods here or there. Like I love Lax's SpaceX pack, and the Near Future packs. But those are way down the road. In those instances however, I just add the parts I want and not the entire packs so that I can save on memory. If you would like to list your part mods or the parts that look in the wrong places then I'd be happy to suggest what parts RP-0 doesn't support.

Awesome! I wasn't using any part mods apart from proc, so I'll have to get on that. Thanks a lot for the quick and detailed reply.

Looking forward to the next video,

TSSA

@Gaarde: I wish I could just zip everything up and post it, however that is not allowed and would get me in a lot of trouble as it breaks most all licenses by the developers. :(

KSP-CKAN helps for a lot of the installation. (only 6 or so that need to be manually installed)

did you do anything special to KSPRC when installing? (the release thread says its not compatible with RSS)

New episode up! \o/ Real Solar System: Ep 5: Venus

KSP-CKAN helps for a lot of the installation. (only 6 or so that need to be manually installed)

did you do anything special to KSPRC when installing? (the release thread says its not compatible with RSS)

o/ Grim,

Are you the same Grim I see over in Twitch chat all the time? If so o/\o.

Ya, CKAN is awesome. I have high hopes for it, and it has come a long way in a super short time. What I am kinda talking about is more like Minecraft though. That is what viewers prefer (as opposed to normal players). When doing like YT I often get asked to upload what I have set up, which is a collection of many parts of mods as opposed to just a lot of mods. I've found using all of all of the mods just isn't possible on Windows, and sometimes it is nice to tweak a config here or there too. That is kinda what viewers prefer so they can have the same sort of experience the YouTuber they are watching is having. I think with CKAN plus Felger's Pruner this could be something possible quite soon. I really hope so!

On KSPRC, not using it. I LOVE IT! Would absolutely love to use it someday, but as far as I'm aware the configs for RSS/RO aren't done yet. :(

Anyway, see you in twitch chat. o/

Edited by BevoLJ

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bevo, it's that guy with the loading freeze problem. I figured out that it stopped because of a NASA part, so I removed it, but then other Nasa parts did the same, so I removed all of them, (in the Nasa Mission Folder for stock) then after that, the Squad folder was causing issues, and removing that fixed the loading, but there were little to no parts. Also, adding force-opengl to the target didn't do anything. What else should I try?

Hey Bevo, it's that guy with the loading freeze problem. I figured out that it stopped because of a NASA part, so I removed it, but then other Nasa parts did the same, so I removed all of them, (in the Nasa Mission Folder for stock) then after that, the Squad folder was causing issues, and removing that fixed the loading, but there were little to no parts. Also, adding force-opengl to the target didn't do anything. What else should I try?

I've been playing lately with RSS and I can give you a few tips. If you don't have Active Texture Management Installed, definitely try it out.

Another thing I could suggest is the AutoPruner plugin, which gets rid of fuel tanks and fairings in other mods so you only see Procedural parts.

Lastly, and the least known I think, is to use DDSLoader and the program DDS4KSP. This set of programs:

• Converts pngs, tgas and mbms into .dds files,
  • Allows KSP to load .dds files much faster than other file types, and vastly decreases the memory usage of these files.

One caveat to using DDS4KSP that I've found: After converting your \GameData folder to dds, open the folder GameData\Squad\Contracts\ in DDS4KSP and use the "restore backups" option. If you don't, the icons for contracts in-game will be a bit buggy.

Using all of these techniques, I'm able to run RSS extremely easily. Just remember to read the documentation for all the mods and you should be set!

PS Bevo I love your vids! You should really make a tutorial for RSS, I had no idea what I was doing until I watched your career mode.

Edited by Save Ferris

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.