[obsolete] Wider Contracts App [v1.3.3] [2016-04-28]

nightingale

Wider Contracts App is obsolete, as it has been integrated into Contract Configurator.

Description

This mod takes the stock contracts app and super sizes it, increasing its width by 60% (and doubling its default height).

9swtSnZ.png?2 Q6mridR.png?2
Before After

Download

CKAN: In CKAN, Select and download the mod "Wider Contracts App"

GitHub: Download here

Source

The full source is available on GitHub.

Change Log

Spoiler

Wider Contracts App 1.3.3

• Release for KSP 1.1.1 (for CKAN).

Wider Contracts App 1.3.2

• Fix issues introduced in previous release (thanks Raknor).

Wider Contracts App 1.3.1

• Now disables itself in non-career modes (thanks Raknor).

Wider Contracts App 1.3.0

• Rewrite for KSP 1.1.

Wider Contracts App 1.2.1

• Recompile for KSP 1.0.5 (for CKAN).

Wider Contracts App 1.2.0

• All performance issues now fixed!

Wider Contracts App 1.1.4

• More performance fixes.

Wider Contracts App 1.1.3

• Performance fixes.

Wider Contracts App 1.1.2

• Recompile for KSP 1.0.2 (for CKAN).

Wider Contracts App 1.1.1

• Fix Engineer's Report to display correctly (thanks SwGustav).

Wider Contracts App 1.1.0

• Support for KSP 1.0.

Wider Contracts App 1.0.1

• Fixed NullReference in log on startup.

Wider Contracts App 1.0.0

Initial release.

FAQ

Q: That's nice, but 60% isn't enough.

A: Kerbal scientists are hard at work at an 80% bigger contracts app, but are running into issues as they start getting close to theoretical atomic contracts app limits.

Q: No, really - I want it bigger.

A: Have no fear! We plan on releasing different flavours of Contracts App resizing mods for all tastes. Look out for releases of Wider Contracts App 6.4x and Wider Contracts App 10x. It's entirely possible we're thinking of a different mod though.

Q: Fine, just make it configurable.

A: I'm considering it. Perhaps for Wider Contracts App Pro?

Testimonials

cwy7Q69.png

"Since deploying Wider Contracts App, I've seen a 50% increase in the number of mission commanders actually caring about their mission objectives. What's that? Oh, never mind... Jeb's on the roof again instead of on his way to Minmus..."

Gene Kerman - Mission Controller

"You did WHAT with the funds we gave you to upgrade the launch pad?!?"

Mortimer Kerman - Finances Guy

rOCsfV1.png
9hM3mCJ.png

"Who are you? How did you get in here? Do you even work here? Wernher!! Help!!!"

Linus Kerman - Intern

"Kerbal is awesome!" *

Elon Musk - CEO, SpaceX

* It is assumed that Mr. Musk was referring directly to Wider Contracts App when he made this comment.

z2VvtQL.png

License

Wider Contracts App is licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0

btn_donate_SM.gif Like what you see? Consider donating to the coffee fund! It will not go directly to supporting this or other mods under my care, but it may keep my motivation up!

Edited by nightingale

It almost looks like you've put more effort into the release forum post than went into the mod! (I know that's almost certainly not true even for a simple thing, but I found the post hilarious.)

Thanks for this, as many others have said I didn't realize how much this annoyed me until you could change it.

It almost looks like you've put more effort into the release forum post than went into the mod! (I know that's almost certainly not true even for a simple thing, but I found the post hilarious.)

Thanks for this, as many others have said I didn't realize how much this annoyed me until you could change it.

If only that were true.... It was *surprisingly* difficult to get this to look right.

Finally, no more cramped contracts window! Thanks for this simple but very useful solution! Btw, how many lines of code did this one take up?

Let's see, with lazy counting including whitespace, comments, etc.... 102. Actual statement count is probably more like 4 or 5 dozen.

EDIT: Also, will this work in all scenes?

Supposed to, let me know if there's issues anywhere and I may have to up the lines of code by 3 or 4...

• 3 months later...

Anybody noticing a memory leak with this???

I installed a few mods, this being one of them, and I started crashing to desktop due to running out of memory every 20 minutes. I removed what I thought was the problem, but it didn't help. I finally installed GCMonitor to keep track of what was happening.

What I noticed was that when I entered the VAB and clicked on the contract window my memory usage would shoot up at a rate of about a meg a second. (this was with nothing being worked on. VAB was empty at the time) If I closed the contract window memory usage would stabilize at where ever it was. Opening the contract window again would cause memory usage to increase.

I exited the game, removed WCA, restarted KSP, went back to the VAB, and opened the contract window. Memory usage remained stable.

I've been using it for ages without apparent issue. :)

It really is a tiny mod though. I just re-read all the code looking for anything that could be a problem, and I didn't see anything obvious. I'll do some more in depth testing tomorrow.

Sadly, as of KSP 1.0 this mod is no longer possible as Squad has closed the holes in the Contracts App that allowed me to widen it. Complain to Squad if you'd like to actually see more than 140 characters of contract text!

So I am now officially recommending DMagic's Contracts Window + as the alternative to Wider Contracts App. Long live Contracts Window +.

Edited by nightingale

Yeah, the Engineer's report and Contracts app are sort of linked... Thought I'd squashed all the cross-silliness issues, but guess it's not quite there yet. I'll get a fix out soon.

- - - Updated - - -

New version out, now with working Engineer's Report! Download now!

Wider Contracts App 1.1.1

• Fix Engineer's Report to display correctly (thanks SwGustav).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting frame rate drops when using only this mod.

Mods Installed:

KerboKatz - SmallUtilities - FPSViewer (not the problem, I just used it to check my frame rate)

Wider Contracts App

How to repeat:

During a career save, launch any craft. Note frame rate. Then, hover over contract menu on the stock toolbar. Note increase in frame rate!!:P

You can notice this by looking at the FPSViewer, or by seeing the mission timer change colors from yellow to green if your frame rate is initially low enough.

Important!

I think you get a larger increase the lower your graphics settings are (no AA, fastest render, etc.). With high settings, I wasn't seeing much of a difference between hovering over the contract menu and not. But when I turned the settings all the way down, I was getting +15 fps! This does not happen with this mod uninstalled - I was getting the higher fps at all times with the stock contract menu.

KerboKatz has a bunch of mods bundled with his SmallUtilities pack. Only FPSViewer is necessary, so you can delete the other plugins.

Edited by ev0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.