[1.1.3] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em - v1.2.5 July 3

OtherBarry

Has anyone succeeded at making a hollow procedural part? Or it's impossible with the current coding of this mod?

I know allista has made his Hangars semi-procedural, but with his own modification of the code.

Edited by Enceos

Has anyone succeeded at making a hollow procedural part? Or it's impossible with the current coding of this mod?

Not possible. As i understand it it would require a massive code rewrite. I think other shapes are the next step for PP, but hollow shapes and toroids are a while away.

Northstar: was under the impression that we updated it for the new parts to be more balanced. Unless there was a light tech tree rearrangement in 0.90?

OtherBarry, I'm referring specifically to the RealFuels Procedural Tanks. The normal (no RealFuels) Procedural Parts were re-balanced a while back to be less restrictive, but the RealFuels versions haven't been updated for some time...

Also, 0.90 did come with a stock tech tree rearrangement. But that shouldn't affect the tech-limits file, as the node names haven't changed, and the file refers to specific tech nodes. Here's one of the tech limits for isntance:

TECHLIMIT {
// X200-16 - 2.5 x 1.875 m = 9.204 kL
name = heavyRocketry
diameterMax = 3.0
volumeMax = 10.0
}

As you'll notice, this code limits diameter to 3 meters after you unlock heavyRocketry (the limit is even more restrictive beforehand). This limit is never relaxed until the player unlocks MetaMaterials- even veryHeavyRocketry doesn't allow players to build fuel tanks wider than 3 meters (even though at this point players would have max-size 3.75 meter tanks with stock and 5 meter tanks with mods!)

Regards,

Northstar

OtherBarry, I'm referring specifically to the RealFuels Procedural Tanks. The normal (no RealFuels) Procedural Parts were re-balanced a while back to be less restrictive, but the RealFuels versions haven't been updated for some time...

Also, 0.90 did come with a stock tech tree rearrangement. But that shouldn't affect the tech-limits file, as the node names haven't changed, and the file refers to specific tech nodes.

Ah, I see, we must have forgotten to update the real fuels tank. I'll get on that this afternoon. I'm thinking 5m max diameter once you hit 3.75m stock tanks? That should still allow for mod tanks, without being too op.

And it wasn't the code i was concerned about, it was the data. Proc Part tech limits are based on the stock tree, so if that's been re-arranged, then the limits should be changed to reflect that. Also relevant with 0.90 is the part number limitations in early game, which I imagine PP is currently rather cheaty for.

Ah, I see, we must have forgotten to update the real fuels tank. I'll get on that this afternoon. I'm thinking 5m max diameter once you hit 3.75m stock tanks? That should still allow for mod tanks, without being too op.

Sounds great to me. I outlined what needs to be done in a bit more detail in the last paragraph of this post. Basically, you should always be able to build to at least the same height, diameter, or total volume as what you can achieve with stock or common mod (NP2 or KW Rocketry) tanks.

And it wasn't the code i was concerned about, it was the data. Proc Part tech limits are based on the stock tree, so if that's been re-arranged, then the limits should be changed to reflect that.

The only tech-tree changes I know of were to the unmanned guidance systems (probe cores). They shouldn't affect fuel tanks at all.

Also relevant with 0.90 is the part number limitations in early game, which I imagine PP is currently rather cheaty for.

Not if the volume and height-limits are also configured correctly. You still end up having to stack a bunch of short 3.75 meter tanks on top of one another if your volume-limit is low but you're allowed 3.75 meter tanks, for instance...

Besides, most players upgrade the VAB fairly quickly (unless you're silly/insane like me), so part-count limits aren't really a big deal. Players usually install Procedural Parts specifically to bring down their part-counts, anyways (I know I do).

The size-limitations of the launchpad are much more important- and for this diameter limits are critical, since you usually bump up against height-limits long before any others (even mass-limits you can easily get around in RealFuels by using the fuel pumps built into the launch-clamps... Which is not an issue, as most players using RealFuels aslo use Real Solar System and need the heavier rockets at the same tech-level anyways...)

I'll suggest some more reasonable size-limits for each tech node currently used to control Procedural Parts sizes in my next post... I have enough of a vested interest in making sure these limits do not disadvantage (or unfairly advantage) players who install Procedural Parts and delete all their fuel tank parts myself, since I fit into this category...

Regards,

Northstar

Here is the original config:

MODULE
{
name = ProceduralPart
costPerkL = 0.00957

TECHLIMIT {
// FL-200 - 1.25 x 1.1105 m = 1.363 kL
name = start
diameterMin = 1.0
diameterMax = 1.5
lengthMin = 1.0
lengthMax = 1.5
volumeMin = 1.0
volumeMax = 1.5
}
TECHLIMIT {
// FL-T400 - 1.25 x 1.87819 m = 2.305 kL
// FL-T100 - 1.25 x 0.78125 m = 0.959 kL
name = basicRocketry
lengthMin = 0.5
lengthMax = 2.0
volumeMin = 0.7
volumeMax = 2.5
}
TECHLIMIT {
// FL-T800 - 1.25 x 3.75 m = 4.602 kL
name = advRocketry
lengthMax = 4.0
volumeMax = 5.0
}
TECHLIMIT {
// X200-16 - 2.5 x 1.875 m = 9.204 kL
name = heavyRocketry
diameterMax = 3.0
volumeMax = 10.0
}
TECHLIMIT {
// X200-32 - 2.5 x 3.75 m = 18.408 kL
name = heavierRocketry
volumeMax = 20.0
}
TECHLIMIT {
// Jumbo-64 - 2.5 x 7.5 m = 36.816 kL
name = veryHeavyRocketry
lengthMax = 8
volumeMax = 40.0
}

TECHLIMIT {
// Not in main sequence. Depends indirectly off basicRocketry only
// X200-8 - 2.5 x 0.9375 m = 4.602 kL
name = advConstruction
diameterMax = 3.0
volumeMax = 5.0
}

TECHLIMIT {
// Not in main sequence. Depends indirectly off basicRocketry
// Oscar-B - 0.625 x 0.3485474 m = 0.107 kL
name = precisionEngineering
diameterMin = 0.125
lengthMin = 0.125
volumeMin = 0.0625
}

TECHLIMIT {
// Make everything unlimited for metaMaterials
name = metaMaterials
diameterMin = 0.01
diameterMax = Infinity
lengthMin = 0.01
lengthMax = Infinity
volumeMin = 0.01
volumeMax = Infinity
}
}

Here is config re-balanced to not disadvantage players who use Procedural Parts instead of stock/mod fuel tanks (fuel tank size-limits are adjusted to at least match sizes available with stock fuel tanks at a given node, and often to match the looser limits of NovaPunch2 or KW Rocketry instead, since players like myself delete those fuel tanks as well to save RAM...)

Note the comments to explain each limit. Some of the 2.5 meter stock parts became available earlier in the tech tree than the original file indicated, in 0.23.5 with the introduction of SLS parts- so the outdated tech limits must have dated to before SLS parts were added in 0.23.5

MODULE
{
name = ProceduralPart
costPerkL = 0.00957

TECHLIMIT {
// FL-200 - 1.25 x 1.1105 m = 1.363 kL
// NovaPunch2 2-meter 1.25-meter tanks tech here
name = start
diameterMin = 1.0
diameterMax = 1.5
lengthMin = 1.0
lengthMax = 2.0
volumeMin = 1.0
volumeMax = 2.5
}
TECHLIMIT {
// FL-T400 - 1.25 x 1.87819 m = 2.305 kL
// FL-T100 - 1.25 x 0.78125 m = 0.959 kL
// NovaPunch2 4-meter 1.25-meter tanks tech here
name = basicRocketry
lengthMin = 0.5
lengthMax = 4.0
volumeMin = 0.7
volumeMax = 5.0
}
TECHLIMIT {
// FL-T800 - 1.25 x 3.75 m = 4.602 kL
// First NovaPunch2 2.5-meter parts tech here
name = advRocketry
diameterMax = 3.0
lengthMax = 4.0
volumeMax = 16.0
}
TECHLIMIT {
// X200-32 - 2.5 x 3.75 m = 18.408 kL
// Most NovaPunch2 2.5-meter parts tech here
name = heavyRocketry
lengthMax = 6.0
volumeMax = 32.0
}
TECHLIMIT {
// Jumbo-64 - 2.5 x 7.5 m = 36.816 kL
// NovaPunch2 3.75-meter parts tech here (72 kL)
name = heavierRocketry
diameterMax = 4.0
lengthMax = 8
volumeMax = 64.0
}
TECHLIMIT {
// Stock S3-14400 tanks available here (>80 kL)
// NovaPunch2 5-meter parts tech here (>128 kL)
name = veryHeavyRocketry
diameterMax = 5.0
volumeMax = 128.0
}

TECHLIMIT {
// Not in main sequence. Depends indirectly off basicRocketry only
// X200-8 - 2.5 x 0.9375 m = 4.602 kL
name = advConstruction
diameterMax = 3.0
volumeMax = 6.0
}

TECHLIMIT {
// Not in main sequence. Depends indirectly off basicRocketry
// Oscar-B - 0.625 x 0.3485474 m = 0.107 kL
name = precisionEngineering
diameterMin = 0.125
lengthMin = 0.125
volumeMin = 0.0625
}

TECHLIMIT {
// Make everything unlimited for metaMaterials
name = metaMaterials
diameterMin = 0.01
diameterMax = Infinity
lengthMin = 0.01
lengthMax = Infinity
volumeMin = 0.01
volumeMax = Infinity
}
}

Also, I hope it's not a problem for me to suggest, but I'd love to be put on the author list for the config if you're willing to use my changes :)

// --- general parameters ---
name = proceduralTankRealFuels
module = Part
author = AncientGammoner, NathanKell, Swamp Ig, Northstar1989

I usually went with the looser limit when NovaPunch2 parts exceeded the size/length of stock parts available at that tech node, and always stuck with the convention of using whole-meter diameter limits (so 3.0 meters when 2.5 meter parts are unlocked, 4.0 meters when 3.75 meter parts are unlocked, and 5.0 meters when 5-meter parts are unlocked), however at HeavierRocketry I decided to make the volume-limit 64 kL even though >72 kL parts are available in NovaPunch2 at this point, as it allowed a nice 16--> 32--> 64 --> 128 kL progression of volume limits as you climbed the tech tree...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Hello!

I have recently encountered with using procedural parts with real fuels on a design with radial simmetry.

Very unfortunately this mixture is extremely buggy.

The parts with simmetry refuse to change settings either independantly or uniformly and behave in an unpredictable manner reacting almost randomly to their own liking and spoiling things or even causing the game errors from having to restart the editor up to a crash. The strange behaviour includes parts changing parameters that were actually set up on a single part before applying the simmetry or inability to change settings just because everything randomly changes again with the next click or something resulting in situations of complete inability to use this design.

I believe it is a known bug for quite some time already that different people experience with different levels of severity?

I do not know for sure which thread this belongs to because the bugs happen with things associated with either mod so I will write a similar post in the other thread. Looks like using both at the same time effectively squares the randomness of the bugs experienced.

Is it fixable and what to do with it?

Help please!

Thank you!

just wanted to mention that this is now part of my essential mods list, and the only way it could possibly be better is with the ability to create non-round shapes (mainly rectangular and hexagonal prisms)... particularly when it comes to rovers, square parts are perfect.

This issue has been around since 0.90 hit, there's no fix that I know of, but I do have a work around.

The issue only happens if the procedural part is the root attach point. If you attach to a non-procedural part, then offset the attached part inside the procedural part, the bug won't happen. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks man, that seems to work :)

I really don't know how to do anything with config files or anything like that, but I was wondering if anyone has made a Atlas V texture. I am just assuming that someone has considering the popularity of that particular rocket. If you would be willing to share that with me, it would be much appreciated.

I am having issues getting the game to recognize my custom texture, i know the texture size and type is good, 512x512 png and i'm pretty sure the code is good, but it is not available as an option.

I added the following lines to the stock STTextures.cfg and put the texture files in the parts folder with all the others. Am i forgetting something??

CKCP
{
//by Rabbit_of_Dogs
sides
{
texture = ProceduralParts/Parts/CKCP
uScale = 4
vScale = 1
autoScale = false

}
ends
{
texture = ProceduralParts/Parts/end
}
}
CKCP2
{
//by Rabbit_of_Dogs
sides
{
texture = ProceduralParts/Parts/CKCP2
uScale = 4
vScale = 1
autoScale = false
}
ends
{
texture = ProceduralParts/Parts/end
}
}

I am having issues getting the game to recognize my custom texture, i know the texture size and type is good, 512x512 png and i'm pretty sure the code is good, but it is not available as an option.

I added the following lines to the stock STTextures.cfg and put the texture files in the parts folder with all the others. Am i forgetting something??

Not sure if this helps but; The texture names are case sensitive.

Installed this mod yesterday. I also have deadly reentry, which, when I installed that I had to fiddle with the config to get it to actually be dangerous at all. After I installed PP, I noticed some messages as the game was loading about updating various parts (sorry I don't recall what it said). Then when I launched a rocket, stuff started overheating and blowing up on the way out of the atmosphere.

So, any clues about what happened and what I need to do to fix it? I suspect I just need to fiddle with DR again, but the bit about updating parts... what the heck was that about?

Installed this mod yesterday. I also have deadly reentry, which, when I installed that I had to fiddle with the config to get it to actually be dangerous at all. After I installed PP, I noticed some messages as the game was loading about updating various parts (sorry I don't recall what it said). Then when I launched a rocket, stuff started overheating and blowing up on the way out of the atmosphere.

So, any clues about what happened and what I need to do to fix it? I suspect I just need to fiddle with DR again, but the bit about updating parts... what the heck was that about?

That sounds like the Addon Version Checker (AVC) mod, it's telling you that you have out of date versions of mods.

After I download this mod, can I delete most of my fuel tanks to reduce memory usage? And if yes, how many/which ones do I have to leave?

For a new career game, you might want to take a look at the SETI-BalanceMod in my signature.

Removing clutter by replacing stock tanks with procedural parts is one of the main features. It provides an autopruner list to prevent the unused textures from loading, without deleting them (so they can be unpruned again).

Are there procedural LFO and jet engines aswell?

From the first post.

Features That Are Not Planned

Shapes with 'holes' in them and concave shapes - including toroids.

Procedural wings, procedural fairings - there's good mods for these already.

Procedural engines - May happen one day, but not a priority.

That sounds like the Addon Version Checker (AVC) mod, it's telling you that you have out of date versions of mods.

I do not have any such mod installed. I haven't seen any messages since the first time after installing Procedural Parts.

I do not have any such mod installed. I haven't seen any messages since the first time after installing Procedural Parts.

AVC-mini is installed with many mods, though they will always state that on their forum posts. But we know how many people read everything on release posts. Check around, that's about the only thing it could be.