[1.1.3] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em - v1.2.5 July 3

OtherBarry

Downloaded this again yesterday after a looong hiatus and was surprised to see my textures still there (I cringe at that fake looking polished Atlas texture I made..it needs more work!). <3

I may do some more since I'm back playing. Anyone has a request?

This Atlas texture? I love it to bits! I use it for everything from 1930s planes to 21xx rockets!

Look at it, it's the only metallic texture I have! So pretty! I want more metallic stuff. A bright shade of "aluminum overcast" all shiny and chrome! (Like USAAF WW2 aircraft that flew without paint for weight savings)

3MEqYsM.jpg

.... and maybe a wooden keg texture just for lulz? :D

I would also like a more stockalike SRB too, something like the Kickback's with the giant sized segments.

So, I've been playing around a little with my old Atlas texture. Some progress is made.

gjn1OGxl.jpg

Here is a question. I'm using the public domain reflection plugin from the FASA mod. Is there a way to have procedural parts add the reflections on a specific texture you select (if that texture is flagged for it in its cfg file)? It would be very handy, since the only way I can play with the shader (its kinda essential to produce a proper old-school atlas texture) is to make a mirror procedural part...

Completely noob with cfg editing, any and every help would be vastly appreciated, cheers..C:

Holy moley, that looks sweet. You could release it right meow (as Atlas v2? Cos I do like your old Atlas too for the dull brushed metal look) and I would use it for -everything- I build in a retrofuturistic kind of theme. Also Mad Max, all shiny and chrome lol.

I don't mind that it doesn't have the mirror effect of real polished metal, we do have our game engine limitations after all.

Downloaded this again yesterday after a looong hiatus and was surprised to see my textures still there (I cringe at that fake looking polished Atlas texture I made..it needs more work!). <3

I may do some more since I'm back playing. Anyone has a request?

It is one of the best textures out there. It's the staple of my Kron ships.

911547E03E2FF3A213EFAF2179CA7406654D30B6

If you're gonna use actual reflections, be aware of the enormous impact on performance it's gonna cause. Reflectivity is nothing new in the world of KSP mods and it was always causing problems when applied to large surfaces or lots of surfaces.

My suggestion - make your texture more silvery, but leave "Atlas texture" as nonreflective. If you want to make a reflective one, make Atlas v2 or whatever. :)

Holy moley, that looks sweet. You could release it right meow (as Atlas v2? Cos I do like your old Atlas too for the dull brushed metal look) and I would use it for -everything- I build in a retrofuturistic kind of theme. Also Mad Max, all shiny and chrome lol.

I don't mind that it doesn't have the mirror effect of real polished metal, we do have our game engine limitations after all.

Dante80: I'll +1 this. The new one looks amazing, but the old one still has its own niche. Reflections could be cool, but are far from necessary. I also seem to recall people trying that on PP before and failing. Look in the old "Reflection plugin" thread, I think it was discussed there.

Thanks for the kind words guys. In any case, I was not talking about replacing the old Atlas texture (its a part of stock PP anyway), just adding more as a separate texture pack of shorts (hopefully).

Regarding the reflections, it would be handy I think, I have no idea if its feasible though. In essence, what I'd want would be to flag a specific texture (in its config) so that when you select it with a PP part it gets the reflections, and only then.

Edited by Dante80

That does look pretty sweet! I use the old Atlas all the time as well. Hey pandora, care to share your craft file for the plane?

Here's your plane, fresh from the hangar and with landing gear newly optimized.

The thrust from the jet at the back is slightly reduced as it now has a basic jet engine. Still plenty of combined power output to do loops, storm barns and scare the boffins over at the research center.

http://kerbalx.com/pandoraskitten/P-1AJ3-Motorjet-Acrobat

Here's your plane, fresh from the hangar and with landing gear newly optimized.

The thrust from the jet at the back is slightly reduced as it now has a basic jet engine. Still plenty of combined power output to do loops, storm barns and scare the boffins over at the research center.

http://kerbalx.com/pandoraskitten/P-1AJ3-Motorjet-Acrobat

Cool beans! Thanks pandora...didn't know about kerbal-x :)

Hey, forgive me if this was addressed. I admittedly have not been fallowing the thread and only recently started using procedural parts (I'm hooked now by the way) I don't know how I built anything before.

My question is. Would it be possible to either add a slider for tank tip offset? Or add an offset part with scalable sizes at both ends?

Just wondering if this is a new problem but: I am using PP v1.1.7 (latest KSP) and with the PP SRB the First Launch contract won't trigger (the booster is the first stage of a larger rocket). I have tested the main rocket with and without the PP part, and the PP part alone and it seems it is indeed that booster that is causing trouble.

If i knew how to include the craft file in this post you'd get that.

how hard would it be to add new shapes to PP?

would be nice to have mk2/mk3 fuselage shape for tanks, so i could drop all the fixed sizing of stock, mk2/mk3 is the last of the stack/tubelike tanks of stock that i havent deleted yet

So, on my RealismOverhaul/RP-0 game I'm getting a bunch (typically 3+) of the below errors, followed by a crash to desktop - the window simply closes abruptly, and all that remains is a few log lines looking like this:

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: key
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[Part,RUI.Algorithms.Vertex`1[Part]].get_Item (.Part key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RUI.Algorithms.ComponentListMaker.UpdatePartVertex (Boolean residual, .Part part, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 lookup) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RUI.Algorithms.ComponentListMaker.GetStackFlowGraph (.ShipConstruct ship) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EngineersReport.RunTests () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EngineersReport+ ^N.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The only reference I've been able to find to the EngineersReport class is related to this mod, hence my posting about it here. The failures always happen when I mouse over the staging list in the vehicle editor (VAB). Not always, mind you, but often enough that it makes it exceedingly hard to play.

I am running Linux Mint 17, KSP 1.0.4, latest CKAN install as of today of RO and RP-0. The vehicles I am trying to build are simple sounding rockets with an instrumentation package, chute, barometer and thermometer, plus a nosecone, with either a tank + Aerobee or Tiny Tim booster powering them. I've had this happen with both configurations. If you need further information, do ask, and I'll do my best to provide.

The issue I am having, which hasn't been removed by using the plugin, is that the normal map is completely changing the way light behaves.

Example 1 - The light on the front is only illuminating the left half of the part. In some cases it acts as though it is passing completely through the nearest face and reflecting off of the inside of the cylinder.

AxmMCf3.png

Example 2: The light behind the cylinder is visible as a diffuse light through the cylinder on the far side

NNvZT87.png

I am obviously missing something. What is it?

Hello to all.

I am trying to find a SM ( Service Module ) tank type. I 'thought' there used to be a tanktype that allowed all of the components liquid fuel, oxy, electricity, etc to be done into a single tank.

where did that go, or where can i find that again.

Thanks for any help

Cheers.

I cannot use procedural SRB because if I place it, it will not let me right click on anything! I am probably missing something, and I am using some other mods, so please let me know if you need any other info. Help would be appreciated.

Hey,

I m rebalancing procedural SRBs, but I have a problem with the costs.

While I can easily apply a cost modifier to the tank and the srb thruster, there seems to be a base? cost which I can not lower. This base cost is so high, that RT-10 sized procedural SRBs are always more costly than the RT-10 itself.

Does anyone know how I can change that 3rd cost parameter?

Thank you very much!

I have started using the Procedural structural part as tunnels in my station designs. I have started configuring it to support CLS. Is there any chance of Procedural Parts supporting CLS itself. Even better would be if the structural parts was CLS-passable depending on its width.

I have started using the Procedural structural part as tunnels in my station designs. I have started configuring it to support CLS. Is there any chance of Procedural Parts supporting CLS itself. Even better would be if the structural parts was CLS-passable depending on its width.

That would be awesome! Minimum?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.