[1.1.3] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em - v1.2.5 July 3

OtherBarry

Has there been any effort into examining what it would take to add non-circular cross sections? I'm thinking rounded-rectangle (i.e. set independent width and depth of the form, with radius defining the corners) style ones might be doable, mathematically speaking, but I might just be talking out my ass there.

Any plans regarding CommunityResourcePack?

- - - Updated - - -

I've been trying to create procedural tanks for CommunityResourcePack fuels with no success. For example, my ArgonGas fuel tank shows up in the VAB/SPH and I can resize it, but there is no fuel on the tank :(. Could someone please give me a hint on how could I make this work? I already made procedural parts for the USI-LS resources and it was quite easy, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong right now.

Procedural ArgonGas Tank cfg file I modified (from the orignal procedural XenonGas tank):

PART:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = proceduralTankArgon
module = Part
author = AncientGammoner, NathanKell, Swamp Ig, Eggman360

// --- asset parameters ---
MODEL
{
model = ProceduralParts/Parts/cylinderTank
scale = 1,1,1
}
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---
node_stack_top=0,0.5,0,0,1,0,1
node_stack_bottom=0,-0.5,0,0,-1,0,1
node_attach=0,0,0.5,0,0,-1,1

// --- editor parameters ---
cost = 0 // 4000
TechRequired = ionPropulsion
entryCost = 4000
category = FuelTank
subcategory = 0
title = Procedural Argon Tank
manufacturer = Found lying by the side of the road
description = Made from viscoelastic nanopolymers (which were discovered by accident... growing in the back of the office mini-fridge) this fuel tank can be stretched to accommodate fuel loads of a range of sizes and shapes. Hardens to a rigid structure before launch!

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 1
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 7
breakingForce = 50
breakingTorque = 50
maxTemp = 2000

RESOURCE {
name = ArgonGas
amount = 747.5
maxAmount = 747.5
}

MODULE
{
name = ProceduralPart
textureSet = Copernicus

TECHLIMIT {
// FL-R25 - 1.25 x 0.5706054 m = 0.700238177 kL
name = ionPropulsion
diameterMin = 0.125
diameterMax = 0.75
lengthMin = 0.1
lengthMax = 0.75
volumeMin = 0.02
volumeMax = 0.2
}
TECHLIMIT {
// Make everything unlimited for metaMaterials
name = metaMaterials
diameterMin = 0.01
diameterMax = Infinity
lengthMin = 0.01
lengthMax = Infinity
volumeMin = 0.01
volumeMax = Infinity
}
}
MODULE
{
name = ProceduralShapeCylinder
displayName = Cylinder
techRequired = start

length = 0.3
diameter = 0.625
}
MODULE
{
name = ProceduralShapeCone
displayName = Cone
techRequired = start

length = 0.3
topDiameter = 0.162
bottomDiameter = 0.625
}
MODULE
{
name = ProceduralShapePill
displayName = Fillet Cylinder
techRequired = advConstruction

length = 0.3
diameter = 0.625
fillet = 0.25
}
MODULE
{
name = ProceduralShapeBezierCone
displayName = Smooth Cone
techRequired = advConstruction

selectedShape = Round #1
length = 0.3
topDiameter = 0.162
bottomDiameter = 0.625
}
MODULE
{
name = TankContentSwitcher
useVolume = true

// Dry density and fuel units per kL are all over the shop for RCS
dryDensity = 0.5801
TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = ArgonGas
RESOURCE
{
name = ArgonGas
unitsPerT = 14000
}
}
}
}

Now, I'm a complete noob at configs for this, but have you tried having both Xenon and Argon as options for the tank? Also, try double-(or triple-)checking that Argon's resource name is ArgonGas, and not something like Argon, Argongas, argongas, or argonGas. Just throwing out some suggestions! :kiss:

Is it just me or is there a bug with this mod and Real fuels? when ever I use procedural fuel tanks and I fill them up with fuel the COM goes way off the part either at the top of the craft or bottom. Something feels wrong. Am I the only 1 to experience this?

Is there any reason I can't make a procedural RCS tank that's smaller than an 1.843m diameter and 0.750m length in the standard cylinder shape? Other shapes also have similar limits that mean I can't stick smaller tanks on my smaller craft.

Also having this issue, not sure if its related to community tech tree or procedural parts? I have most stock parts unlocked but can't make a tank smaller than 1.843 x .7 (which is bigger than the unlocked small and medium tanks).

I am still experiencing the issue with this mod and Pfarings when attaching the top decoupling node of an insteage adapter to the bottom node to a NON cylindrical Pparts tank. After saving and loading the interstage is moved up from its original position and is clipping into the Pparts tank. I know this issue was addressed and fixed in the past. I wondered if that fix may only apply to the cylindrical tank shape as I can not reproduce the bug with the cylindrical tank shape. However when i use the cone shape the glitch happens upon reload. I will provide more info if needed, but hoped this may prompt a quick look at the code to see if tank shape could affect the outcome of the fix. I know for a fact i am using the latest Pparts and Pfairiings. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also no errors in the log to speak of just the glitch itself

Hi,

is the procedural SRB part of PP?

I found the following bug: I added two groups of booster pairs to my rocktet (so 4 in total)

two with a burn tim of 30s for kick-off and 2 with a burn time of 120s for boosting.

So they have different nozzle sizes, but other than that they are identical (copies).

But when launching the rocket all of the four srbs are emptying at the same rate

(resulting in to much speed for my rocket) and tehy get empty at the same point in time.

best regards

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

I have reported this bug 2 times already, so I will report it again.

When loading vessles the procedural fairing adapters are in the wrong place.

I use the realism overhaul and procedural fairings. I have no idea if its an error in procedural fairings

or procedural tanks, I also have no clue how not every body else has this problems, I had them in 4 different installs.

I really think this bug should be fixed right now, it makes the game unplayable for me???

Whenever I use it in RSS its screwed up. It happens about every second vessel unloading. But I think this time I have a bit more

information: I.e. it seems to only occour if you connect a inline fairing adapter with its top (decoupler) connection point directly to a fuel tank (so the

engines - in symmetry mode - are mouted next to the connection node)

best regards

a triagular guy

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/39512-1-0-4-Procedural-Fairings-3-15-%28June-27%29?p=2245882&viewfull=1#post2245882

Is it possible to do procedural structural panels? Or is there a mod for that already? Just a flat, procedural panel, can adjust length, width, would be awesome. Swappable textures would be great.

Another idea was swappable properties (basically, different materials... aluminum has certain weight/strength, which is different from say steel, etc. etc.) but that might not be possible.

But otherwise, can it be done?

Is it possible to do procedural structural panels? Or is there a mod for that already? Just a flat, procedural panel, can adjust length, width, would be awesome. Swappable textures would be great.

Another idea was swappable properties (basically, different materials... aluminum has certain weight/strength, which is different from say steel, etc. etc.) but that might not be possible.

But otherwise, can it be done?

Sounds like B9 Procedural Wings to me. People have been building cars and such with those.

True, but I believe B9 requires FAR, which I personally do not prefer. It'd be nice if there were another option.

No, no, B9 Procedural Wings is a separate mod, you can find it in the mod development forum, or on CKAN or KerbalStuff. And even then, B9 Aerospace itself never required FAR, just, their stock craft weren't balanced to work with stock. And, well, given its aircraft focus, recommending FAR makes sense. Anyhow, that's a digression. B9 Procedural Wings are a good bet for you I think.

hello

i have next trouble with procedural part like booster (with engine) and liquid tank. after launch of game (for the first load of craft) these parts have no "Shape" row in context menu, which is next after "Textures" row. parts are in "cylinder" shape. but after first launching of it and returning to hangar - this "Shape" row are placed correct and i can change geometry of part. if any shape was selected earlier and saved - after restart game first time after load all this parts are set back to cylinder shape instead of selected...

http://i66.fastpic.ru/big/2015/1020/79/952119d82a3ed501f6d41dfcd7440079.jpg

Hi guys!

I need some help. Is it possible to shape cone tank to be bent? (I mean the shape of Soyuz booster for example - just like TAIL CONNECTOR B)

Azimech had an extension pack a while back that made shapes similar to what you're describing. However I never used it and can't vouch for how well it worked or whether it works under 1.0.4 or the current version of pParts.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107919-0-90-Procedural-Parts-Extended-1-0-77-Industries

Hi guys!

I need some help. Is it possible to shape cone tank to be bent? (I mean the shape of Soyuz booster for example - just like TAIL CONNECTOR B)

If the Soyuz booster shape is what you are after, yes. You can just make a cone shape and attach it as normal. It seems to get a bit finicky if attaching at places other than the four ninety degree points, but you can also get around this by changing the shape after attaching the tank. For solid boosters this is fairly straightforward; for liquids, you will probably want to make use of the rotate and offset tools to point the engines down rather than out.

Hi!

I've loved PP from .90

I realize that you probably put quite a bit of thinking into the tech limits, but (and this is a question for the whole gang, as well as the author) am I the only one that tweaks the cfgs to bump up the starting techs?

When I use this (and the other procedural part mods) I delete the stock tanks/probes/etc to save ram and to declutter the partslist - however, not being able to use those parts as soon as I would normally get the stock equivelant is a little frustrating.

Eh?

just curious. is there a way to make rectangular shapes available? i use PP on realism overhaul and could really use some rectangular tanks for satelites and rovers.

You can get rectangular tanks using B9 Procedural wings (not normal B9, the wing mod). It's a bit cumbersome, but it works.

Hi!

I've loved PP from .90

I realize that you probably put quite a bit of thinking into the tech limits, but (and this is a question for the whole gang, as well as the author) am I the only one that tweaks the cfgs to bump up the starting techs?

When I use this (and the other procedural part mods) I delete the stock tanks/probes/etc to save ram and to declutter the partslist - however, not being able to use those parts as soon as I would normally get the stock equivelant is a little frustrating.

Eh?

In my experience, PP size limits are actually larger than the stock fuel tanks for a given tech node, at least using CTT.

Not sure if it's just me, but I'm having issues with multiple procedural SRBs on the rocket. One works just fine. With two (probecore-srb-decoupler-srb) the burn time of the second one changes to ~30s as soon as physics kicks in (KJR). With three or more solid stages burn times change randomly up or down. Same thing with attaching srbs radially on another srb via decoupler (afaik slapping srb directly on another srb has been mentioned as problematic earlier). Happens both on a barebone RP-0 install and on a RO with some of suggested mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.