[1.1.3] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em - v1.2.5 July 3

OtherBarry

I _think_ there is a race condition at work here, because if I engage warp and then go back to 1x warp the slowdown stops. That's after loading, of course.

Tomorrow I'll try profiling to see what the heck is going on.

Also got an issue to report: whenever a craft has a procedural part in it, the mass of that part starts counting up as soon as it loads. Ex.: a little craft of 10t weighed 10000t in a few minutes time. When the vessel info is shown with mechjeb, you actually see the mass going up.

Posted on the repo; it's definitely calling render twice for every proc part on the vessel...for every proc part on the vessel (2n^2). Probably not seen early on because there were few parts in testing, but even only 13 leads to 338 render cube calls and a multiple-minute hang on loading.

Been experiencing two issues: one, the long load times described above.

Second, the inability to access the right-click context menus for PPs in the editor under certain conditions.  Eventually, the entire craft cannot be picked up and the editor goes haywire (ships not being loaded or being loaded on top of the other).

Need to determine steps to reproduction and rule out other mod conflicts, but first impression is that it only affects PP ships.

Edited by TMS

9 hours ago, TMS said:

Been experiencing two issues: one, the long load times described above.

Second, the inability to access the right-click context menus for PPs in the editor under certain conditions.  Eventually, the entire craft cannot be picked up and the editor goes haywire (ships not being loaded or being loaded on top of the other).

Need to determine steps to reproduction and rule out other mod conflicts, but first impression is that it only affects PP ships.

Yeah I have had that a few times, wasn't sure the cause but it only happens on proc parts.

10 hours ago, TMS said:

33 minutes ago, Torih said:

Yeah I have had that a few times, wasn't sure the cause but it only happens on proc parts.

@RadarManFromTheMoon / @NathanKell

OK... some of this behaviour seems to be caused by deleting the root part.

This makes the context menus unresponsive (the parts then don't extend according to your input).

Re-rooting (without deletion) seems to work OK.

See video:

I'll see what I can do about breaking it further because the behaviour demonstrated in the video is usually only the beginning.

The editor tends to spiral from that point, but I can't quite get the additional reproduction steps...

Hello, I was working on a Soyuz like ship and as well as getting long load times to the pad I started getting KSP to hang when loading the 175 part (mostly PP) ship.

Loading my less than 100 part PP Falcon 9 works fine. Can't wait for these bugs to be squashed. :cool:

I seem to have a quite different problem than most people speak of here. Mine is that the PP fuel tanks seem to have tiny amounts of fuel in them. Large 3.5m dia or small 1.25 dia tanks all have like 1.8 or some such ridiculously tiny amount of liquid fuel and/or oxidizer compared to their non-PP counterparts. I suppose it could be some interaction with another mod but what that would be I have no idea. Still on 1.1, by the way (waiting for more mods to come out with their 1.1.2 versions before upgrading).

Anybody else seeing anything similar?

2 minutes ago, OldLost said:

I seem to have a quite different problem than most people speak of here. Mine is that the PP fuel tanks seem to have tiny amounts of fuel in them. Large 3.5m dia or small 1.25 dia tanks all have like 1.8 or some such ridiculously tiny amount of liquid fuel and/or oxidizer compared to their non-PP counterparts. I suppose it could be some interaction with another mod but what that would be I have no idea. Still on 1.1, by the way (waiting for more mods to come out with their 1.1.2 versions before upgrading).

Anybody else seeing anything similar?

Do you have Modular Fuel Tanks installed? That was an issue that was occurring, but MFT was updated and it should be fixed.  

13 hours ago, TMS said:

OK... some of this behaviour seems to be caused by deleting the root part.

This makes the context menus unresponsive (the parts then don't extend according to your input).

Re-rooting (without deletion) seems to work OK.

See video:

(removed video for quote)

I'll see what I can do about breaking it further because the behaviour demonstrated in the video is usually only the beginning.

The editor tends to spiral from that point, but I can't quite get the additional reproduction steps...

I'm getting quite a bit of this also as I spend a lot of time building/refining my rockets

2 minutes ago, SpaceEnthusiast said:

If I were to download it and drop it in my GameData folder, would the long loading times be gone? Or hasn't the mod been updated yet? I find I really miss the parts, you made a great mod!

Not updated yet. Unless you can compile from source yourself. :wink: still better to wait though as NathanKell committed some more changes today, so unless you know the code it is tough to say if it is fixed for sure or not. Waiting for an officially published update from the author is always safer for your saves.

I compiled the changes to test on my testing install and it seems to be working fine. Still takes longer than stock to load, but that is to be expected. Nowhere near the 2-5 minute load times on simple ships I saw before.

On 5/6/2016 at 4:42 PM, NathanKell said:

No, I reverted a fix to rendering things twice. The fix to rendering things n^2 times is still in.

Hi NathanKell, which function exactly was the stock procedural fairing using (which made things really slow)?  Just wondering if that same degraded function is in play which is making PP load so slow?

Pushed 1.2.1 with that fix and @RadarManFromTheMoon's LF-only and Ox-only tank rebalance.

@NoMrBond the stock procedural fairing is entirely unrelated to all of this. I have been talking only about PP itself, and a bug in PP itself which I fixed. The fix has now been released, although for some reason updating the date and version in the OP is erroring out for me.

YAY thanks NahanKell Now My rockets load instantly on the pad! before The loading screen used to freez up Before I got to the launch pad! I had to click on my screen and it would I excrements you not take 5 minutes to load a small rocket! And then once on the pad it would lag like crazy till I launched it!

Now since this fix Everything loads up instantly and I have no more lag! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.