[1.1.3] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em - v1.2.5 July 3

OtherBarry

Hey,

I've been messing around with the calculation of the amount of resource per tank size and I've done 2 things.

I created a spreadsheet to calculate the "unitsPerT" for any given resource (provided you know the density). In addition you can calculate multiple resources in one tank specifying the percentage each one should occupy. *

I've also created a .cfg file to add tanks with most of the resources for Modular Kolonisation System. - Including a tank with 4:1 ratio of MaterialKits and SpecializedParts used in the constuction of items or spacecrafts provided Extraplanetary launchpads is installed.

Download the spreadsheet

Download the .cfg file for MKS **

*I am not sure that my calculation to find the formula to change the density into unitsPerT is correct. I wasn't able to find this formula anywhere in this topic so I calculated it of the Liquid Fuel Tank. - LF has a density of 0.005 and a untisPerT of  1600. So I divided 1600 by 0.005 giving me 320000, my formula therefore is density of resource*320000. If this is wrong please correct me.

**Resource units per volume might not be correct due to the statement above. Furthermore I didn't know what to do with the dryDensity attribute so I guessed 0.2 would be a good value. - please correct me if this is wrong!

On 7/9/2016 at 4:07 PM, the_Demongod said:

I'm having an issue which I suspect is caused by this mod. Upon trying to load certain vessels, the game will hang until I kill ksp_64.exe. This generates no crash folder obviously so the only thing I have to go on is the KSP.txt log which ends with about 50,000 lines of "[LOG <timestamp>] PartChildAttached" occurring at increments of about 1 millisecond. A search for this term raises only the ProceduralParts github where I found it in some of the code. Any ideas about what might be causing this, and why it's only happening with a select few ships, even though both working and broken craft use procedural parts? I'll investigate further, try a reinstall, etc and see if I can't figure it out but I'm afraid I don't have anything concrete enough to submit a bug ticket about yet.

Nothing on this yet? It's a pretty debilitating bug since it's happening on one of my most used launch vehicles. I uninstalled all mods, verified integrity of the game cache, and reinstalled and it's still happening. I'll see if I have a backup of the vehicle to confirm whether or not it's the craft file that causes the issue.

6 hours ago, the_Demongod said:

Nothing on this yet? It's a pretty debilitating bug since it's happening on one of my most used launch vehicles. I uninstalled all mods, verified integrity of the game cache, and reinstalled and it's still happening. I'll see if I have a backup of the vehicle to confirm whether or not it's the craft file that causes the issue.

Not surprising you never heard back on your problem. You alluded to the existence of a log file that might have helped someone to troubleshoot the problem and craft files that when loaded resulted in the problem occurring. But you didn't provide any access to any of those things. :( 

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Not surprising you never heard back on your problem. You alluded to the existence of a log file that might have helped someone to troubleshoot the problem and craft files that when loaded resulted in the problem occurring. But you didn't provide any access to any of those things. :( 

Right, didn't think about the fact that something besides those lines I described might allude to the issue. Unfortunately I've since reinstalled all my mods fresh and run the game many times so I don't think I have any logs reflecting this issue, sorry. If I come across it again I'll definitely come back with a log.

EDIT: Was able to reproduce, @Starwaster. Corvette Launch Vehicle .craft file, KSP.log

Edited by the_Demongod

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2016 at 10:41 PM, Flagelop said:

Hey,

I've been messing around with the calculation of the amount of resource per tank size and I've done 2 things.

I created a spreadsheet to calculate the "unitsPerT" for any given resource (provided you know the density). In addition you can calculate multiple resources in one tank specifying the percentage each one should occupy. *

I've also created a .cfg file to add tanks with most of the resources for Modular Kolonisation System. - Including a tank with 4:1 ratio of MaterialKits and SpecializedParts used in the constuction of items or spacecrafts provided Extraplanetary launchpads is installed.

Download the spreadsheet

Download the .cfg file for MKS **

*I am not sure that my calculation to find the formula to change the density into unitsPerT is correct. I wasn't able to find this formula anywhere in this topic so I calculated it of the Liquid Fuel Tank. - LF has a density of 0.005 and a untisPerT of  1600. So I divided 1600 by 0.005 giving me 320000, my formula therefore is density of resource*320000. If this is wrong please correct me.

**Resource units per volume might not be correct due to the statement above. Furthermore I didn't know what to do with the dryDensity attribute so I guessed 0.2 would be a good value. - please correct me if this is wrong!

I wrote a cfg file for usi-ls and was able to almost match the tanks provided in the mod. Cfg file on github as a pull request

Soo I'm having a weird bug, was wondering if this is a known issue/conflict...
When I put a procedural tank on my craft it sets it to a 1.25m form factor. I can use the slider to increase the size, but here is one of the weird things. Almost all the way to the right it is 1.37, then it suddenly jumps up to 1.5 but the actual diameter doesen't change, since it is already ~1.48 near the end of the slider. When I try to adjust the slider back down it only goes down to 1.38, but the actual diameter only changes in the last 5% of the slider. Also it does not change the weight if I move the slider to quickly. I then click the small step button to get back to 1.25m but doesen't change the weigt. If I click down from there it goes to 1.13m(??)@133kg and when I click again it goes to 1.0m@108kg but if I go back one increment it goes to 1.13@85kg... Oo
I am completely puzzled as to this seemingly erratic behaviour and am wondering if this is a known issue/conflict, in which case it would make fixing it easy or whether I should do some more testing to see if I can isolate the issue to some particular mod.
Output.Log
Modlist

I will be more than happy to provide any additional information you require, sadly I don't know what to make of the output log myself so I can't help much there

Just tested the mod on a clean install with only Procedural Parts and the corresponding texture packs, the behaviour still persists. It also persists across both the 32bit and 64bit versions on a clean install using ckan. Did I misread the 1.1.3 compatible or is there something obvious I am missing. I'd hate to have to play without this mod, it is one of the most important ones out there imho. Same with the Github version form the OP :(

Edited by TheXRuler
Added info

@TheXRuler the sliders generally are kinda broken since the 1.1 update. If you are using the mouse pointer to change the diameter then some very funky stuff can happen, along with no 3rd decimal precision (the "lag" that you are probably seeing). Apart from some NullRefs stemming from incompatible Contract Configurator packages no obvious error about PP exist in your log.

For the other bugs reported (trying to answer this as you asked about it in the other thread):

• The debug log spam has been fixed.
  • The Procedural SRB gimbaling has been fixed.
  • Other "bugs" seem to be either corrupted/bad installations (seriously, copy that damned KSP folder outside of Steam) and/or corrupted craft files. Some of the above logs show exceptions before even loading the mod assemblies.
Edited by Phineas Freak

5 hours ago, TheXRuler said:

When I put a procedural tank on my craft it sets it to a 1.25m form factor. I can use the slider to increase the size, but here is one of the weird things. Almost all the way to the right it is 1.37, then it suddenly jumps up to 1.5 but the actual diameter doesen't change, since it is already ~1.48 near the end of the slider. When I try to adjust the slider back down it only goes down to 1.38, but the actual diameter only changes in the last 5% of the slider. Also it does not change the weight if I move the slider to quickly. I then click the small step button to get back to 1.25m but doesen't change the weigt. If I click down from there it goes to 1.13m(??)@133kg and when I click again it goes to 1.0m@108kg but if I go back one increment it goes to 1.13@85kg... Oo
I am completely puzzled as to this seemingly erratic behaviour and am wondering if this is a known issue/conflict, in which case it would make fixing it easy or whether I should do some more testing to see if I can isolate the issue to some particular mod.
Output.Log
Modlist

I will be more than happy to provide any additional information you require, sadly I don't know what to make of the output log myself so I can't help much there

Just tested the mod on a clean install with only Procedural Parts and the corresponding texture packs, the behaviour still persists. It also persists across both the 32bit and 64bit versions on a clean install using ckan. Did I misread the 1.1.3 compatible or is there something obvious I am missing. I'd hate to have to play without this mod, it is one of the most important ones out there imho. Same with the Github version form the OP :(

I used this mod in the past and got none of the problems you say. I can't help you with it but I can help you find whats causing the problem:

First, try procedural parts alone in a clean instalation. If it works, you know the mod is working and is some kind of conflict with another mod.

Then there is usually a good way of finding wich one is conflicting. Always with procedural parts installed,  Try half of the mods, then the other half of the mods, one of the groups will fail, try half of the mods that failed, and then other half, go on with "failed halfs" reducing the number of mods until you find wich one of the mods is in conflict with procedural parts.

5 hours ago, TheXRuler said:

Output.Log
Modlist

I experienced something similar with volume calculations. However found out that if close the dialogue box (the one with the sliders) and the reopened it shows the correct values. Suggest you try setting the tank to however you want it close dialogue and reopen dialogue box and see if there is any change

Just to see if @TheXRuler's concerns are correct: this mod isn't dead, right?

Also, more importantly:

Is it possible to make the tanks a bit more detailed? Say, the cylindrical shielded tanks can actually be pill-shaped tanks with stringer/wall sections to have a cylindrical profile, like the rear-end of this Atlas V tank.

Image result for atlas v main fuel tank

Also, perhaps you can make it possible to remove the tank wall and expose the strut-supported pill-shaped internal tanks. Just an idea.

Edited by Matuchkin

Nono don't worry, I was panicking jeez I didn't want to spread any rumors >.<
-edit: other thread is now closed, hopefully noone else will read it and be misinformed...

1 hour ago, Rafael acevedo said:

I experienced something similar with volume calculations. However found out that if close the dialogue box (the one with the sliders) and the reopened it shows the correct values. Suggest you try setting the tank to however you want it close dialogue and reopen dialogue box and see if there is any change

Thanks, will try that.

Also big thanks to @Phineas Freak that's good to know. I love this mod too much to play without it :D All the best for developing it in the future, and best of luck with fixing those bars (if it's possible I'm sure you guys will find a way)

Edited by TheXRuler
forgot stuff

Hate to bother you again but now I have also run into the partchildattached logspam :C
Steps to reproduce:

1. Clean install of KSP 1.1.3
2. Get Proc Parts and KW Rocketry
3. Start sandbox game
4. Load this craft

Game freezes as soon as I try to load the craft.

As always here is the log and let me know if you need any additional information.

2 hours ago, TheXRuler said:

Hate to bother you again but now I have also run into the partchildattached logspam :C
Steps to reproduce:

1. Clean install of KSP 1.1.3
2. Get Proc Parts and KW Rocketry
3. Start sandbox game
4. Load this craft

Game freezes as soon as I try to load the craft.

As always here is the log and let me know if you need any additional information.

Are you using kw rocketry redux with the updated module manager

On 9/30/2016 at 0:24 PM, Matuchkin said:

Is it possible to make the tanks a bit more detailed? Say, the cylindrical shielded tanks can actually be pill-shaped tanks with stringer/wall sections to have a cylindrical profile, like the rear-end of this Atlas V tank.

Also, perhaps you can make it possible to remove the tank wall and expose the strut-supported pill-shaped internal tanks. Just an idea.

The second part sounds like a lot of programming/modelling. The first should be doable by placing rounded tanks at the ends of a cylindrical tank to give you the pill shape, and having clipped on interstages act as skirting.