[1.1.3] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em - v1.2.5 July 3

OtherBarry

I do like the flexibility this mod supplies and am quite happy with the 1.1.6 update for KSP 1.0.4

There's one little thing though, it seems in career mode many, if not most parts don't cost a penny to use. :D

As far as I can see now the only priced part is the small solid booster one gets at career start.

Did I miss something, or is this a small oversight?

Greets,

Jan

Hi Jan

As far as I can see they have costs, but the costs are not fix. When you attach it to your rocket and select the shape you need, then you will the the costs.

I totally agree. balancing needs an overhaul. Will be done successively now that KSP balancing is in a somewhat finished state.

Since now all mods I need for my new career are working for me, I spend some effort to think about the balancing.

First of all I had a look at the Stock Boosters and must say... they are completely unbalanced :D

I tried to balance the PP-SRB in a way that it fits very well to the RT10 booster (same size, same amount of fuel, same delta V). But then I realized, that the RT5 booster has a lower efficiency and a lower volume as a balanced PP-SRB with the same size like RT5.

In fact that does not make sense... why is the efficiency lower at the same technology level? And why the hack is the volume lower at the same size?

Than the BACC booster. This has a very high efficiency. So also here the RT10 normalized PP-SRB does not fit anymore.

For balancing the boosters, another approach is needed. I would do the following:

- introduce different engine variants for the PP-SRB booster with different efficiencies. Of course the higher efficiency should only be available for higher technology levels. Maybe it makes sense to set by default the engine variant with the highest available efficiency.

- then it should be possible to adapt the dryDensity and unitsPerT value (fuel level) in a way that the PP-SRB can meet the characteristics of every stock booster, just by changing the engine variant with different atmosphereCurve values (efficiency).

- of course the costs for one PP-SRB must then be calculated by: Costs = Volume * BaseCosts + Fuel * FuelCostst + EngineCosts

- with this the costs can be adapt in a way, that it also meets the costs for the equivalent Stock Boosters

Doing this, it should be possible to get a stock-like balancing, just with one PP-SRB booster. However another question here is, if the stock balancing a good choice...

I have too less experience with KSP Moding to do this. Maybe everything is possible now, by tweeking the CFG files.. however I think at least the new costs formula needs to be implemented in the DLL.

The normal PP fuel tanks are very well balanced, compared to the stock tanks. So I created a small part mod for my personal usage:

- I disabled the PP-SRB, since this is too unbalanced so far. Using Stock-Boosters is ok for me.

- I disabled the following Stock tanks: Jumbo-64, T100-T800, X200-8 until X200-32, R1-R25 (RCS), S3-14400 until S3-3600; Since I think they are very well covered by this mod

- I disabled the tweekscale option for the Oscar-B tank, since it resulted in extremely unbalanced values, by scaling this tank (not an issue of PP)

- I disabled the following Stock Decoupler: TR-38, TR-2C, TR-18D, TR-XL, TR-2V, TR-18A; Since I think they are also very well covered by the PP mod

- I disabled the following Stock HeatShilds: 1.25m, 2.5m, 3.75m; Also they are covered by this mod

- I disabled the PP-Battery... I did not check if the characteristics fit to the stock batteries, I simple like the design of the stock batteries more then the PP design (just my personal opinion)

Maybe these information helps someone who also wants to replace some stock-parts with procedural parts. I can deliver also the config files, if someone is interested.

Thanks for your mod :)

Best regards,

GrafZahl

Hi Jan

As far as I can see they have costs, but the costs are not fix. When you attach it to your rocket and select the shape you need, then you will the the costs.

Ah right, I actually didn't think of that, I just looked at the description window that pops up and noticed Costs: 0. ;-)

I do understand that the costs will vary with resizing, but a ballpark figure like is done with the small booster would come in handy, maybe I should have a look at the cfg's when temperatures drop a little over here... Thanks for the info.

Greets,

Jan

Well, with 'a ballpark figure' I actually meant the price of course. Since many procedural parts start as default with comparable stock parts as far as applicable that price would be an additional handy comparison, but hey, it's not that important I already noticed they're more expensive. LOL

Greets,

Jan

Hey, maybe I will ask something crazy or it was asked before (but I could not find it)

1-There is a mod (working with this version) that allows to delete or not show all stock parts which are remplaced with this mod?

2- Is possible to delete those parts but keep compatibility with old saves or stock craft? For example, if we have 2 jumbo tanks and one t800, it would be possible that instead load that part, it load the procedural part with the jumbo tank and t800 parameters? So it remplace each tank with 1 procedure?

Hey, maybe I will ask something crazy or it was asked before (but I could not find it)

1-There is a mod (working with this version) that allows to delete or not show all stock parts which are remplaced with this mod?

2- Is possible to delete those parts but keep compatibility with old saves or stock craft? For example, if we have 2 jumbo tanks and one t800, it would be possible that instead load that part, it load the procedural part with the jumbo tank and t800 parameters? So it remplace each tank with 1 procedure?

Autopruner

"Hi, I'm buying carpet. Can you give me a ballpark price?"

"How much carpet do you want? Which kind of carpet?"

"Can you give me a ballpark price first?"

See the problem here? :]

AngelLestat: If you want to save memory by not loading a part, any craft using it will not load. If you only want the part to not appear in the parts list (but still take up memory), then you can make it safe for craft using it (set its category and TechRequired to -1).

Autopruner

But that version is still from 0.90 dont you?

AngelLestat: If you want to save memory by not loading a part, any craft using it will not load. If you only want the part to not appear in the parts list (but still take up memory), then you can make it safe for craft using it (set its category and TechRequired to -1).

Yeah I want both, remove the parts from the list and save memory and loading time.

But my second question was if is possible to make an script to be active when the game loads (or just as a secondary app) which would modify all save games and crafts files remplacing all stock parts for procedural parts which properties match the stock parts remplaced.

Something like this:

craft file:

Jumbo tank:

PART
{
part = fuelTank3-2_4294665960
pos = 0.2985083,16.93438,-0.9134084
attPos0 = 0,-4.22924,0

MODULE
{
name = BBModule
isEnabled = True
EVENTS
{
}
ACTIONS
{
}
}

remplaced by Procedural Part with equal size than the jumbo tank.

PART
{
part = proceduralTankRealFuels_4294653782
pos = 0.2985083,16.93437,-0.9134084
attPos0 = 0,-4.229246,0

MODULE
{
name = ProceduralShapeCylinder
isEnabled = True
diameter = 2.5
length = 7.5
diameter_UIEditor
{
controlEnabled = True

But some values as position which should not change also change I guess (barely). So not sure if is possible.

Hey,

I have a problem with PP. When the SRBs run out of fuel the rocket plume animation stays on indefinitely - it just doesn't stop. There is no thrust being provided, just the animation.

I'm sure it's a mod but I'm not sure which one, could somone take a look at my mod list and point me in the direction of which one to remove please?

Thanks!

p.s. The stock boosters are fine and act normally. Tested with PP Booster/Stock Booster and a probe core.

KSP: 1.0.4 (Unix) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Linux 3.13 Ubuntu 14.04 64bit

Filter Extensions - 2.3

USI Tools - 0.4.1

B9 Aerospace - 5.2.6

B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.40

CapCom Mission Control On The Go - 1.0.1.1

Chatterer - 0.9.5.86

Community Resource Pack - 0.4.3

Connected Living Space - 1.1.3.1

Contract Configurator - 1.5.1

Contract Pack: Anomaly Surveyor - 1.2.2

Contract Pack: Field Research - 1.0.6

Contract Pack: RemoteTech - 1.1.4

Contract Pack: Tourism Plus - 1.1.5

Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.5.2

DMagic Orbital Science - 1.0.7

Editor Extensions - 2.12

Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.15.3.1

Firespitter - 7.1.4

Interstellar Fuel Switch - 1.15

RasterPropMonitor - 0.19.4

KAS - 0.5.2

Kerbal Inventory System - 1.1.5

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

Kerbal Construction Time - 1.1.8

Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.0.17

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.4

KineTechAnimation - 1.1.2

Infernal Robots - 0.21.3

ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.0

Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.2

Final Frontier - 0.8.6.1370

Civilian Population - 1.7

PlanetShine - 0.2.3.1

Procedural Parts - 1.1.6

QuickScroll - 1.3.1

QuickSearch - 1.1.3

QuickStart - 1.1.2

RCS Build Aid - 0.7.2

RealChute - 1.3.2.3

RemoteTech - 1.6.7

SCANsat - 1.1.4

SETI-Contracts - 0.9.2.1

SETI-CommunityTechTree - 0.9

SETI-Greenhouse - 0.9.2

SafeChute - 1.7.1

ShipManifest - 4.4.1

StageRecovery - 1.5.6

TextureReplacer - 2.4.7

Thermal Monitor - 1.2

TAC Life Support - 0.11.1.20

Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.4

TweakScale - 2.2.1

USI Exploration Pack - 0.4.1

Freight Transport Tech - 0.4.1

Karbonite - 0.6.2

Karbonite Plus - 0.4

KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.2.5

Waypoint Manager - 2.3.4

Wider Contracts App - 1.1.2

Edited by Ryds

What's causing this bug? I have Realism Overhaul installed and then some.
Some mod of yours that uses KSPAPIExtensions is not up to date. In fact, you should be getting a warning on KSP startup about incompatibility...

I had that too. I figured out which one it was by searching "all folders from here down" from my GameData folder looking for KSPAPI*

That returned five different KSPAPI DLLs. I then r-clicked on each one and selected "properties." Four of them were 1.7.5 and one of them was 1.7.4 so I deleted that one. I think it was in TweakableEverything. I restarted KSP and the bug was gone. I checked to see if TE was affected too but it was fine.

Firstly I'd like to say thank you for this awesome mod. Now on to the meat and potatoes of my reason for being here. Hopefully I can save someone from the trouble I've had with this mod today.

I ran into an interesting issue where the mod would work great until I left the game and came back to it at a later time. All the procedural parts were replaced with a "default" item that was untweakable in the VAB. After reinstalling the game and all mods 3 times I finally noticed what was happening.

It turns out my antivirus was picking up "proceduralparts.dll" as a potential hazard to my PC. Obviously the mod more or less NEEDS this file to function properly. Just a heads up to anyone having this particular problem.

I use Norton if that matters. Not sure if anything could be done on the modders end but I wanted to put this info out there because I was unable to find any mention of similar problems or a solution. Simply restored the .dll and added an exception to my AV and everything runs great again :)

Hey guys, I have a little problem with this mod. When i startup the game it says that scale is outdated. I guess that is from the tweakscale mod. When i open the menu in the VAB, there has to be a part for the texture that you can choose. But it is not in the menu. I use the newest version for 1.0.4. tweakscale and PP.

Maybe one of you can help me with this.

hi,

My ksp crashes every time I select the procedural SRB :(

and I may have found another issue, where some parts are attached to the wrong part after loading, which leads to sponaneous combustion outside and to reorganizing inside the VAB.

Regards

Hello.

I love everything about procedural parts, except for One thing:

I use RSS and sometimes I need huge solid boosters. However, to get the required thrust, I need to click several hundred times on the 'increase thrust' button. Is there any way to increase the steps from +0.1MN to +1MN?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.