[0.90] LEDJeb - Flight Data Readout [0.2 Beta] [2015.01.11]

heaton84

LEDJeb provides an interface for a physical LED readout based on MAX7219 display modules. It also provides a virtual panel to both facilitate testing, and to be used by those who don't care to invest in the physical display but do have a second monitor to spare.

The plugin will be configurable and scalable. You can have one display, or you could have 100 displays. Each display can have a different flight variable assigned to it.

Release 0.2 - Beta Than Eva! Download it here!

The following issues have been fixed in this release:

• KSP no longer crashes when closed
  • Decimal points are now shown on the virtual readouts
  • Plugin is no-longer dependent on a TTF font.

PhJNqV7.png

Issues to tackle going forward:

• Fix sockets so that they reconnect more gracefully
  • Display chain initialization on reconnect
  • Configuration of client readout (pick colors, customize digits, add/remove panels and labels, allow resizing of window, etc.)
  • Add in-game UI for plugin configuration
  • Better (any) indication of readout scaling. Readouts auto-scale to KM above 99,999,999 meters.
  • Relative inclination is wrong
  • Burn time remaining does not work
  • Time to intercept does not work

Edit: To comply with Rule #5

This plugin sends flight data over a network socket, specifically to loopback port 5155. It consists of all flight variables you see on the readout program above, a display count, and nothing more.

Edited by heaton84
Added note about rule #5

I love it! How does it work? I remember that Telemachus mod had to route the info through the internet.

Can this work if I have the main window in fullscreen mode?

Also, a suggestion - units of measurement would be nice.

I love it! How does it work? I remember that Telemachus mod had to route the info through the internet.

Telemachus does use networking but not so much "through the internet" (unless you want a readout on a non-local PC). LEDJeb to uses loal networking.

Your PC won't blow up if you try that.

Your PC won't blow up if you try that.

I presume he meant that the application need to update its' view properly while working out of focus & on the secondary monitor while the primary monitor is in fullscreen.

Also, a suggestion - units of measurement would be nice.

It uses a local socket, just as rkman pointed out. I will add a note to comply with the forum rules. This shouldn't broadcast any data over the internet... but then again if someone can connect to your IP and the port this uses (if you're not behind a firewall and not behind a router), then they could in theory start scraping your flight data. In that scenario, I think KSP data is the least of your worries!

Please give full-screen a good test and report back. I only have one monitor at the moment, I am mainly using the virtual readout to debug my display protocol.

Still working on unit of measurement, as (to also answer Fullmetal99012's question), the overall goal is to aim it at an external display. I just received my display modules tonight, but it will probably be a few weeks before I have a working prototype due to time constraints (

is the display I'm targeting). Anyway, my main concern is how to represent M/KM/MM without additional hardware, or keeping additional hardware to a minimum. One thought is to have M read "12345678", KM read "1234567.8", and MM read "123456.78"... but I'm not convinced that's as user friendly as I'd like. The alternative, since this is modular, is to tack on one more module for misc. indicators.

I can not get it to work, I have followed the instructions, but the display remains silent. No figure is displayed and the text "waiting in-game flight ..." is displayed at the bottom left.

I disabled my antivirus, my firewall, nothing changes.

Can you help?

Context: KSP 0.90, windows 8, runs in 32bit Kerbal.

That is strange. If it shows "waiting for in-game flight" when you're actually in-flight, then the game cannot connect to the client.

I will have to add some logging to the socket connection to figure this one out. Been taking a break recently, so hang in there a few days!

this is what i get on ubuntu 14.10 Mate

Whoa! Looks like a scaling issue there. Chars are about 25% too big. Anyone with Mono in an ubuntu environment able to troubleshoot something like that? Just running Win7 here.

I hope to get the network tracing code in tonight for Windows 8. I remember going from XP to 7 resulted in funny business with sockets. Sounds like 7 to 8 is the same :rolleyes:

how are you getting that to work without a valid .exe ? In the release has only windows .exe . And yes ive clicked "run as executables". Then it says "invalid archive"

If i had ANY idea how i would as i really want this mod for my dual screen setup

Edit: Quote was ment to be the post before :blush:

Edited by BrutalRIP
My dumbness

Update on the sizing issue: I see where the problem most likely is, I'm just not yet sure how to fix it. I borrowed the 7-segment code from Dmitry Brant, so it's not my own. Looks like the app is running in Mono on linux, which doesn't yet support GraphicsContainer. I will have to modify the code to remove that reference and do the scaling myself.

Update on the sockets: Logging code is 50% done. I just need to add logging to the game side. I'm also adding in some config options to give Cortek56 some things to try as I guide him through getting it to work.

Linux Binary: A few of you have been asking for the linux version. Sadly at the moment, I don't have a linux machine ready to go to compile and test it. Therefore, I am going to focus on the other issues for now. If someone (BrutalRIP?) wants to supply the linux binaries once we get the sizing hashed out, I would be most appreciative!

Minor Update 0.21 is out

I'm not going to post a new release thread until 0.3, right now I'm just focusing on existing issues.

If this mod gives you trouble, grab 0.21 and do the following:

1. Edit LEDJeb/LEDJebVirtualPanel/bin/Debug/LEDJebVirtualPanel.exe.config with notepad and change this line:

<add key="debug" value="false" />

To read as follows:

<add key="debug" value="true" />

2. In your KSP game folder, open Plugins/PluginData/LEDJeb/config.xml with notepad. If it doesn't exist, you'll need to start the game, go to the main menu, then exit.

Change the line

<int name="DebugMode">0</int>

To read as follows:

<int name="DebugMode">1</int>

Note that if you've already ran LEDJeb 0.2, this file will already be there but the DebugMode won't. Just add the line to the top of the file so it looks like this:

<config>

<int name="DebugMode">1</int>

<int name="DisplayCount">16</int>

<int name="UpdateRateMS">100</int>

<int name="DataStreamCount">1</int>

Once you have done all of that, start the client panel, then the game. Start your flight, things will still be broken BUT... now you can close the game, stop the panel, and pasebin the following files for me:

1. Panel log at LEDJeb/LEDJebVirtualPanel/bin/Debug/LEDJebVirtualPanelLog.txt

2. The game log in your KSP's KSP_Data folder (KSP_Data/output_log.txt)

This will greatly help me troubleshoot problems. I will be PM'ing some of you for a bit closer follow-up.

Edited by heaton84

HI !

i try it again, (v0.21) but i have a box with :"Warning: I did not understand the "debug" setting in the configuration file. Valid values are "true" and "false"."

This time i got the right down button with "test" and "configure". The "test" option working good, numbers illuminate the panel. But the "configure" option NOP.

HI !

i try it again, (v0.21) but i have a box with :"Warning: I did not understand the "debug" setting in the configuration file. Valid values are "true" and "false"."

This time i got the right down button with "test" and "configure". The "test" option working good, numbers illuminate the panel. But the "configure" option NOP.

PM sent on the debug setting.

"Configure" is a work in progress. Right now it does absolutely nothing.

That reminds me... for anyone who is using this, v0.21 also has the half-done feature of coloring the readouts. Just double-click on the readout you want to color, and pick a color. It won't remember the setting once you close the program... that's part of the "Configure" section I have yet to finish.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.