[v0.19] Damned Robotics Version 1.3

DYJ

japan: What we need, since people seem to like building construction trucks and stuff, are some nice, strong, wide, animated support legs to stop our stuff tipping over.

I actually just finished my new lander / cart combo that does exactly this. I used the claws and rotated them to point down. If I fully extend them, they act as landing legs. I then bring them back to original position, and the cart is lowered. When the claws are back at original position, they act as support legs that prevent my rover from tipping over. I was doing 40-50 m/s and would turn full tilt and wasn\'t able to tip myself over. In fact, nothing I tried would tip me over.

The challenge now is to see if I can fly it using non-modified parts. I\'m sure it will work - I\'ll just need to add a bunch of boosters to get it into orbit.

It\'s a great mod so far, but I noticed the mechjeb update makes the tilt rotors turn in opposite directions now instead of turning both downward. Even with rotating the part 180 degrees, it\'ll end up opposite. At least I think it was the update since it just started turning weird recently.

It\'s a great mod so far, but I noticed the mechjeb update makes the tilt rotors turn in opposite directions now instead of turning both downward. Even with rotating the part 180 degrees, it\'ll end up opposite. At least I think it was the update since it just started turning weird recently.

Yes, I broke the symmetry option by accident, I\'ll release an update soon to fix it too.

My experiments with the Robotics parts so far:

QW-OP Kerbal Walker

:o :o :o :o This is just amazing !!! Now just mount a few Tosh lasers (or Particle Guns) under the belly, produce 3 others and you rule the RP forum ;P

I\'m doing an humanoid walker, but... well... that\'s hard. Really hard.

Oicani, it appears to me that most of the VTOL designs you had in your video failed because you had mismatched thrust on the engine stacks, not one of KSP\'s many inherent flaws. Using quad engine VTOL is very tricky, to keep a stable liftoff, you need to keep the net center of thrust pointing through the net center of mass. The last plane where it actually worked looked like you accomplished that, which is why it launched properly. As for going out of control, that was because the engines didn\'t die simultaneously, and thrust ships tend to have momentum issues. Planes(using wings) have some level of stability in KSP because the fixed lift from the wings resists torque on certain axes, pure thrust vessels have zero stability, and tumble much easier.

I\'d suggest using identical engine stacks(VAB clones), try to position them over a fixed center of mass, and be sure to include sufficient wing area to give you enough tumble resistance, even if you\'re not using them for lift. I\'ve had success with an 8 engine VTOL, but I use my own custom parts that make it much easier to create and predict a mostly fixed CoM.

I\'m currently having a different problem with the rototrons/tiltrotors rotating opposite each other, but I\'m hoping a reinstall of all the mumech stuff will fix it. Seems MechJeb1.81 may have included an older dll in the package than is in the SVN.

Looks like MechJeb 1.8 or 1.81 broke the tiltrotors :<

screenshot119n.jpg

Jeb might like the new 'rifling' course correction enhancement, but Bill\'s about to be sick, and Bob\'s about to pass out.

The MuMechLib.dll from DA 3.1 still rotates the radial rototron/tiltrotors properly, but can\'t use the stuff from MechJeb 1.8. I will look at the code later to see if I can spot the problem, most likely just a missed radial check somewhere.

Actually, looks like this was spotted yesterday, above the wall of videos. I blame MTV for making me ignore things around a block of video, and YouTube for making me ignore the block of video itself. The world was so much simpler with radio.

Well I haven\'t done any moment/torque optimizations at all. I\'m sure there are optimal dimensions that will allow the fastest launch at a given weight/thrust applied to the main leverage, but I can\'t really bother doing that kind of calculations - much easier to build stuff and see how it works.

I\'m trying to figure out what to do next. I have a few ideas, but challenges would be welcome.

Now that you have an AT-AT, try to do the AT-ST or AT-PT !

By the way, what\'s your best at QWOP ? I can\'t get past 14 meters :(

q p ... o w.... q p.... o w.... q o, hey wait, noooooo ! bunk

I have no idea what I should do with it. So far it\'s just a proof of concept - gears can be made in the game, and they will function as expected simply via collision bodies.

I expect more complex mechanical works to be beyond the practical performance limits - like, say, making a clock. I tried, but the ratched worked very erratically and the pendulum didn\'t want to keep swinging. I suppose there must be some ways of making these things work, but might be better to wait for proper parts and more mechanical possibilities - such as axis throughput (put two AXIS rotators on a part with symmetry on, and the two rotators will have a linked position rotationally, for example), axles, sleeves, in general freely-rotating parts (with no set rotation velocity, no spring tension or damping), and so forth.