[v0.19] Damned Robotics Version 1.3

DYJ

I have yet another idea for an addition to the pack. Pieces, much like the struts, where the shaft rotates.

Like a driveshaft? A strut on a rotaron does that - but only at 90 degrees, so what you need is a universal joint / CVD.

It does open up options for gearboxes.

For freely-spinning rotatrons, try setting both JointSpring and JointDamping to 0.000001.

Does the same thing happen for hinges? If so, we could make CVDs / universal joints using two powered hinges in series, one bending perpendicular to the other.

So the first thing I did was build myself a camera car. Eventually, they can be used to watch launches, but I thought I might do a close up inspection of my Mun rocket, so I drove off the launch pad, got my rocket out, and swapped back to the car. I moved my (fairly large) arm out to one side, to reduce the chance of doing a wheelie/stoppie, and I\'m driving up to the launch pad, and all of the sudden, there is the rocket, and I realize I can\'t stop fast enough. So I try to go around it, but after looking through the failure logs, it would appear the cart drove right through two of my LFE boosters, and was shortly incinerated by the heat. Meanwhile, the arm was sticking out the rocket side, so that collided with two more boosters, taking out several fuel tanks as well, and possibly damaging the main stack. The impact to the main stage was enough to wobble the rest of the rocket far enough that it snapped above its tricoupler, and toppled over as well. All in all, it took only about 5 seconds for everything to blow up, but it looked very cool. Then there was the 15 seconds of my sitting there wondering if this was a thing I really did (I also killed 6 kerbals :()

Not my best moment, but again, it looked really awesome 8)

Yes, it works for hinges.

The connection between the truss and the trailer in this video (the yellow hinge you can see a couple of times) is set to this in the cfg

// toggle parameters
rotateJoint = True
rotateAxis = 1, 0, 0
keyRotateSpeed = 20.0
rotateLimits = True
rotateMin = -90.0
rotateMax = 90.0
rotateLimitsRevertKey = False
jointSpring = .00001
jointDamping = .00001
onActivate = False
rotateKey = up
revRotateKey = down
fixedMesh = Base
servoName = New Hinge

Would these settings also work on the cylinder, to make it freely telescoping like a driveshaft?

If so you could have Rotatron-PHinge-PHinge(@90 degrees to first hinge)-Cylinder-PHinge-PHinge(@90 deg). Add two opposing rotatrons on the end on the same servo group as the first rotatron, and you can have a suspension hub.

Would these settings also work on the cylinder, to make it freely telescoping like a driveshaft?

If so you could have Rotatron-PHinge-PHinge(@90 degrees to first hinge)-Cylinder-PHinge-PHinge(@90 deg). Add two opposing rotatrons on the end on the same servo group as the first rotatron, and you can have a suspension hub.

tried that, it wont work for the cylinder, the cylinder\'s springforce works sideways , its probably more clear when you see this screenshot :P

http://i.imgur.com/Wxo2L.jpg a pendulum :P

already tried something liek that, but using hinge\'s.

it was capable of landing at 70 m/s.

cant find the screenshot :(

I tried it last night - regular rotatron, trusses as levers (the rotatron is what gave the torsion, but in other respects, exactly like a torsion bar suspension), HSTW pontoons. It made for a very flexible and bouncy landing gear, which I could almost bottom out (that\'s the hight of the skids + pontoons) before anything broke.

Yes, it works for hinges.

The connection between the truss and the trailer in this video (the yellow hinge you can see a couple of times) is set to this in the cfg

// toggle parameters
rotateJoint = True
rotateAxis = 1, 0, 0
keyRotateSpeed = 20.0
rotateLimits = True
rotateMin = -90.0
rotateMax = 90.0
rotateLimitsRevertKey = False
jointSpring = .00001
jointDamping = .00001
onActivate = False
rotateKey = up
revRotateKey = down
fixedMesh = Base
servoName = New Hinge

oooh man that was EPIC!!! great job maan Forking Amazing. thumbs up man.

So what\'s wrong with this? :

fhS5r.jpg

im curious as to what the cylinder is at the top left corner of your decals page, I saw a vid on utube where someone made a vtol with this part, and was wondering what pack its from

Edit: nevermind, Good sir I found it in the Damned Aerospace, just in case anyone else was wondering

I realise it\'s not exactly in their job description to lift 50t+ planes off the ground, but while trying to recreate Thunderbird 2, I\'ve found that the Robotics pistons tend to literally snap off when used to lift the aircraft, with the internal piston actually sliding through the shell then exploding. Any chance of them getting a durability upgrade? If that\'s not something that\'s going to happen, how do I change that property of them?

I have been noticing an issue lately where if you restart a mission without returning to the VAB/SPH the hinges tend to connect to odd parts of the craft which then try to move with the hinge, usually resulting in explosions.

Any chance of them getting a durability upgrade? If that\'s not something that\'s going to happen, how do I change that property of them?

In the part.cfg file, set the crashTolerance = parameter to something high. For my Lesser Minmus Jumping Spider (which makes 150m vertical leaps on cylinders edited for high speed), I went with crashTolerance = 10000 to make exokiung cylinders far less likely. Adjusting breakingForce = and breakingTorque = to similarly high values won\'t hurt either