[v0.19] Damned Robotics Version 1.3

DYJ

Because it was originally made by r4m0n using mechjeb.dll as a framework, before the library came out for all those mods that relied on features that it was moving away from. It became somewhat neglected, and now I have no idea whether or not r4m0n has even touched it in months.

It definitely needs a rewrite. If you go for it see if you can make more control modes possible, such as preset toggles numerical inputs and maybe even set torque values, in addition to imprecise manual controls.

It'd be really interesting if you managed something that piggybacked on the control surface code to manipulate the joints. I know there had been talk about landing legs that adjusted their position to level out your lander. If you managed to tack this functionality on, one could use it to land on just about any surface.

(I imagine the legs drop to full extent, and then go limp. As the lander comes down, each leg is pushed up again. When the code detects that all legs are in contact it locks them in place, and the user then uses pitch and yaw to adjust their attitude in relation to the ground. This could also make the lander capable of "kneeling", maybe using h/n to keep the control inputs standardised in terms of motion, in case you are trying to dock a rover or what not.)

Edited by aquilux

Because it was originally made by r4m0n using mechjeb.dll as a framework, before the library came out for all those mods that relied on features that it was moving away from. It became somewhat neglected, and now I have no idea whether or not r4m0n has even touched it in months.

It definitely needs a rewrite. If you go for it see if you can make more control modes possible, such as preset toggles numerical inputs and maybe even set torque values, in addition to imprecise manual controls.

It'd be really interesting if you managed something that piggybacked on the control surface code to manipulate the joints. I know there had been talk about landing legs that adjusted their position to level out your lander. If you managed to tack this functionality on, one could use it to land on just about any surface.

(I imagine the legs drop to full extent, and then go limp. As the lander comes down, each leg is pushed up again. When the code detects that all legs are in contact it locks them in place, and the user then uses pitch and yaw to adjust their attitude in relation to the ground. This could also make the lander capable of "kneeling", maybe using h/n to keep the control inputs standardised in terms of motion, in case you are trying to dock a rover or what not.)

TT (modular Wheels) He has some type of RAM stabilizers or something. not sure what the proper name is. But they move in increments according to the throttle keys. Shift & Ctrl. Maybe someone could ask him about that part of the plugin.

This mod is being worked on, but i understand that people want to play and time is limited for some.

Edited by viperwolf

Oh my dear god in heaven. People please just wade through the last few pages before you post, IT'S BEING WORKED ON. Even if it wasn't, why are you letting this ONE mod hold you back from enjoying the game? Seriously?

Seems like maybe you have never used DR pack =P

I am certainly not letting it hold me back from playing KSP, but I sure do miss it a lot.

Hope its not giving you to much headache r4m0n! If so light it on fire....fire fixes everything...

Oh my dear god in heaven. People please just wade through the last few pages before you post, IT'S BEING WORKED ON. Even if it wasn't, why are you letting this ONE mod hold you back from enjoying the game? Seriously?

Because my main game uses Damned Robotics, and if I load it up now with the mod broken all my important flights - like my giant munbase on wheels that took hours and hours to get into position - will be terminated.

Also DR has kind of become a core mod for me. I don't like playing the game without hinges and rotatrons and extenders. /shrug

Because my main game uses Damned Robotics, and if I load it up now with the mod broken all my important flights - like my giant munbase on wheels that took hours and hours to get into position - will be terminated.

Also DR has kind of become a core mod for me. I don't like playing the game without hinges and rotatrons and extenders. /shrug

The you should create a stock account where everything is stock so you can play on new versions of KSP right after downloading it.

I really understand your point. And i tried playing stock, its just boring that way. your so limited compared to the crazy stuff you build with mods. So what i did, i deleted all the DR links in my craft files so i could load up all my prebuilt craft. They would just be missing the DR parts. I just expand on everything else until then. You could remove and save your craft that have DR on them and just replace them once its repaired.

I know it is boring playing stock, but my point is to keep a stock account to entertain yourself with. Plus playing stock tests your skill as a designer and pilot too!

You can still get your game to load by using the parts fix mentioned somewhere - I have... Of course you won't actually have any working robotic parts until the full fix comes along, but you can still play your game in the meantime... Just pretend there's been a kerbal-wide shortage of robo-grease or something :)

You can still get your game to load by using the parts fix mentioned somewhere - I have... Of course you won't actually have any working robotic parts until the full fix comes along, but you can still play your game in the meantime... Just pretend there's been a kerbal-wide shortage of robo-grease or something :)

i think the fix will not load the free moving rotation or the hinge. bc you cannot use mumechlib.dll and i think they will not load without it. and you cannot load the game with that plugin. i may be wrong, but this is why i had to delete these two from my craft files. this way they would atleast load without that part attached. the claw and everything will show up however.

Seems like maybe you have never used DR pack =P

I am certainly not letting it hold me back from playing KSP, but I sure do miss it a lot.

Hope its not giving you to much headache r4m0n! If so light it on fire....fire fixes everything...

Trust me, I've played with it. But let me ask you this. What made you buy this game in the first place? I can almost guarantee that it wasn't a mod that brought you here.

Trust me, I've played with it. But let me ask you this. What made you buy this game in the first place? I can almost guarantee that it wasn't a mod that brought you here.

Well, you would be wrong in your assumption sir. I saw KSP on steam for a couple months, looked fun but I didn't buy it till I found out it was a modders game......

@Viperwolf....not sure how accurate your statement is. Its possible a new plugin could be made to give functionality to those parts. Also MuMechLib.dll does NOT break the game, only how its applied to DR part is broken....MechJeb 1 still used that plugin and works fine in 0.20.2, im also using obliterator, that is also based on MuMechLib plugin and it works fine as well. I sure hope the hinge can be fixed...that and the piston are what I use most from this mod.

Well, you would be wrong in your assumption sir. I saw KSP on steam for a couple months, looked fun but I didn't buy it till I found out it was a modders game......

@Viperwolf....not sure how accurate your statement is. Its possible a new plugin could be made to give functionality to those parts. Also MuMechLib.dll does NOT break the game, only how its applied to DR part is broken....MechJeb 1 still used that plugin and works fine in 0.20.2, im also using obliterator, that is also based on MuMechLib plugin and it works fine as well. I sure hope the hinge can be fixed...that and the piston are what I use most from this mod.

Well not trying to pick fights (though it seems as though I am) The past 6 or so pages of "when is this getting updated" gets tiring. Every modders page is inundated with "fix it, fix it" posts. It's frustrating to see and I don't make the mods, I don't have to look at my inbox on a daily basis and see this. This behavior is what drives modders away, I've seen it on other games. I'd hate to see it here. I know my current post count is a tad on the low side (thanks to the kraken) but, I've been here a bit longer than the steam release, I love the community. Take a moment to check out the last page of each mod to see what the current happenings are before posting.

Well not trying to pick fights (though it seems as though I am) The past 6 or so pages of "when is this getting updated" gets tiring. Every modders page is inundated with "fix it, fix it" posts. It's frustrating to see and I don't make the mods, I don't have to look at my inbox on a daily basis and see this. This behavior is what drives modders away, I've seen it on other games. I'd hate to see it here. I know my current post count is a tad on the low side (thanks to the kraken) but, I've been here a bit longer than the steam release, I love the community. Take a moment to check out the last page of each mod to see what the current happenings are before posting.

go read my posts and see how many times ive said basically the same thing over the past week or so......

Capitan: it's less tiring if you don't take the time to read it. ;) I think the enthusiasm for this mod is fantastic. It's a great mod, and I'm looking forward to having the flexibility it offers. I think the fact that people are still posting questions, even if they can go back six pages to find the answer, is a great measure of fan interest. Yes, r4mon is working on it. (Thanks!) I'm still happy to let r4mon know I'm excited for it. My 0.20 mining bases aren't what they could be with this very useful addition.

I really miss the piston.

Add a deadweight to that and ya have a perfect trim augmentation for airships! Granted there are other ways...fuel balancing n such. But nothing works as good or as precise as a weight on a piston in a few spots on the ship.

And lets be honest.....everyone misses the hinges.......

Hmm i would take your word before mine. Im very new at this, that .dll caused TT, Zeus telescope and DR not to show parts in my game. i deleted it and everything showed up. I also have mechjeb, it works fine also . so im not sure what is going on with it. There was another mod i have,(forgot The name) that used that plugin and had to delete it. I want to say that other mod was something with bobcat or Kethane, but i dont remember.

Edited by viperwolf

I was going to see if I could fix this plugin. Looking at the source it seems to be a small part of an old mechjeb plugin. Anyone know why that is?

Yup. As I thought it wasn't that broken. Just mildly sprained. I cleared away all the fat and DR is wheezing back to life. But I am just a quack plugin coder and I have never actually used the thing. :) Its almost surely broke somewhere but at least the core vitals are working as far as I can tell.

Is there somewhere I can put this up without the whole rigamarole of setting up a spaceport or github. I am NOT taking this plugin over. This is just a band-aid until r4m0n does an official release.

Edited by astronutkhillips

To anyone interested: I have fixed the issue with the plugin.

Essentially the MuMechToggle class, in its onPartAwake() and onPartLoad() methods, calls a method colliderizeChilds(Transform obj). It then calls the method obj.GetComponent<MeshFilter>(), which returns the MeshFilter object if attached, or null if there is not an instance attached. The problem is that a some point (probably in onPartAwake(), where I understand the object may not actually be built when this method is called) the colliderizeChilds(Transform obj) tries to tell Unity to instantiate the 'mesh' variable contained within the attached MeshFilter, but there is no MeshFilter attached at that time (the reference is null). Modifying the code to check if the MeshFilter reference is null first fixes the problem:

In Toggle.cs (http://svn.mumech.com/KSP/trunk/MuMechLib/):

protected void colliderizeChilds(Transform obj)
{
if (obj.name.StartsWith("node_collider") || obj.name.StartsWith("fixed_node_collider") || obj.name.StartsWith("mobile_node_collider"))
{
print("Toggle: converting collider " + obj.name);

if (!obj.GetComponent<MeshFilter>())
{
print("Collider has no MeshFilter (yet?): skipping Colliderize");
}
else
{
Mesh sharedMesh = UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate(obj.GetComponent<MeshFilter>().mesh) as Mesh;
UnityEngine.Object.Destroy(obj.GetComponent<MeshFilter>());
UnityEngine.Object.Destroy(obj.GetComponent<MeshRenderer>());
MeshCollider meshCollider = obj.gameObject.AddComponent<MeshCollider>();
meshCollider.sharedMesh = sharedMesh;
meshCollider.convex = true;
obj.parent = transform;

if (obj.name.StartsWith("mobile_node_collider"))
{
mobileColliders.Add(obj);
}
}
}
for (int i = 0; i < obj.childCount; i++)
{
colliderizeChilds(obj.GetChild(i));
}
}

I recompiled the plugin (note; you only need Toggle.cs, Part.cs, MuUtils.cs and Servo.cs for DamnedRobotics), and tested in KSP 0.20.2.186 (latest Steam build); everything seems to work fine. I will message the author with this fix and ask for permission to distribute a patched plugin.

Yup. As I thought it wasn't that broken. Just mildly sprained. I cleared away all the fat and DR is wheezing back to life. But I am just a quack plugin coder and I have never actually used the thing. :) Its almost surely broke somewhere but at least the core vitals are working as far as I can tell.

Is there somewhere I can put this up without the whole rigamarole of setting up a spaceport or github. I am NOT taking this plugin over. This is just a band-aid until r4m0n does an official release.

So many people will Love this!!!

If you can't find a place for it before you get steamrolled, you can email it to me and I'll put it on my FTP. Make sure your allowed to do this first tho :)

Looks like I got beaten to the punch. Did you reach the same conclusion regarding the source of the problem?